• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20201028_191114 (resized).jpg
20201028_191114 (resized).jpg
20201028_192047 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider theanvil.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I'm new to the site...
I had a perhaps long winded background typed up about this machines history, had some pics, then I guess I hit a wrong button and it all disappeared

So if your interested I can rattle on about it later.

Anyway.
I acquired the Wizard probably 10 years ago, in unknown condition, it has sat in a barn out in the cold (-40) for the last 5 or so years.
I know I know, I understand if I am chastised for that..

The back glass graphic are flawless (phew) the play field is also in very good condition.

I am a HD mechanic so I know my way around electrical and mechanical systems fairly well.

I put the head on, polished the connector pins with a brass wire brush and applied a *light coat of dielectric grease.
Reseated the connectors from the play field on to the lower relay/switch board (not cleaned or greased)
Checked briefly the rotary switches and they seem to be in good shape and move freely
The score wheels are a bit sticky and will need cleaning.

Plugged it in..... nothing.
No lights
No motorized switch drum
If I tap the L flapper the 2nd coin chute relay chatters as long as the button is depressed.

Started to check things

The transformer is outputting the correct voltages at all the taps and that correct voltage is being transferred through the fuses (checked at terminals)

Found the coin return sol not connected (looks like previous owner didn't finish the job)
Soldered them on.

Found the coin mech micro switch malfunctioning, swapped that out with a good one.

These repairs didnt change much.
What does happen is now the coin switch makes the 2nd coin chute chatter intermittently causing 1 or more credits to count on the wheel with 1 coin insertion.

Now there are few wires just not connected to anything by a couple relays... but they look cut, and I cannot see where they would go if they just broke off... I dont have any books or schematics, so was wondering (hoping) someone here could point me in the right direction

Heres my diamond in the rough

20201028_192047 (resized).jpg20201028_192047 (resized).jpg

Heres a pic of the *mystery wires at the relay bank in the bottom of the cabinet

20201028_191114 (resized).jpg20201028_191114 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Oh, I should add some info about the delay relay...
I just read about these last night, how they use a flashing bulb as the timer.
My Wizard has this but did not have a flasher bulb installed by the previous owner, just regular bulb (it was burnt out, which I guess is to be expected)
I didnt have a flasher bulb to install so I just stuck a regular one it, fully expecting it to blow immediately when a slam switch was activated, but when slammed the light just illuminated... VERY brightly, until I turned off the main switch.
Dont know if the lack of the correct flashing bulb is causing my machine to do nearly nothing or not.

I just dont know where to start.

#4 3 years ago

Thanks for the link to the schematic! That is exactly what I need... and the color coding really make it easy to understand.

I'll have tried forcing a few relays closed.. but not really knowing what I was doing I didnt retain what I should have.
Things buzzed, clicked and hummed.... I just feel like I gotta get that motorized drum switch turning (score motor?) first off

I'll check the Jones plugs closer.. they did *feel really good though.

I would like the coin mech to be in working order

But the cut wires are not at the coin mech, they're at the relay bank as seen in the pic...
But now with the schematic I'm hoping I can figure these things out.
Thank you.

#7 3 years ago

Thanks folks.
I will run through those suggestions in the next day or two. I found a manual that edednedy posted a link to, and a color coded schematic... that along with these suggestions I'm sure will keep me busy.
And I am using a quality fluke meter.... but was just using continuity... so it makes sense to ohm it out.
And thanks MarkG for supplying the schematic locations of the parts!

#8 3 years ago

Will the lack of a #455 flasher bulb in the delay relay keep the machine from operating, or does that only come into play when the machine is in game?

#10 3 years ago

Ok, great thanks..

#11 3 years ago

Well good progress, first problem I found was simply an open contact on the delay relay.
Then everything started coming to life!
The score motor started turning so slowly until it got limbered up like waking up an old dinosaur
Had to help along a few score wheels to zero so it would stop freaking out.
Pulled each score wheel out and give it a quick service, there were 2 point stack screws that were out like 6+ turns!
Tightened, clean and adjusted points.
Had to completely disassemble the switch that changes player scores, (really sticky) cleaned it and now it works perfectly.

Pretty much everything has life except the lower 2 thumper bumpers work but dont score (top one does...?)
And the two roll over buttons on the lower part of the play field dont work...
Along with a few others... cant remember exactly which ones it was...

I need search for an operator manual.

Still needs much more cleaning but an really happy with how it's coming to life!

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

On the problem of the 2 thumper bumpers not scoring. clean and check the make/break switch on the lite thumper bumper relay.

When I check voltage at the switches it's only showing about 23v and I'm seeing that voltage at all the points that are not working (some rollover buttons)
At the thumper that is working, and all the other working targets, I am getting about 58v
So I gotta do some tracing.. it seems like a dirty contact to me.... but my God, there's SO many.....

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

I am restoring a Wizard and I found something strange on the coin chute relays. Complete switches in the stack with no wires. I'm not talking broken off, because there's no solder on the switch ends at all. Anyone ever seen this or know why they did this? I think the coin relay had a set also.

Switch stacks with unused terminals is probably not incredibly uncommon... not every switch is manufactured, game specific.
If they can put the same switch in a multitude of games, they will, just to cut down on part numbers.

My confusion lies in these wires in my machine... so far nothing has lead me to believe these need to be connected..... but they just look cut.20201028_191114 (resized).jpg20201028_191114 (resized).jpg

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Well I've never seen it before so it's uncommon to me and I've restored probably two dozen games over the years.
Can you find switches that have solder that are missing the wires? I have wires like that too but not as many and no switches missing wires that have obviously had wires to them before.

I am by no means a expert... and the my wizard is the deepest I've ever dove into a em pinball machine.
I also have miss O but she was working relatively well, then there's supersonic and frontier which are just electronic units.
I will have a closer look at mine but am sure I saw completely unused terminals.
And, there was no obvious sign of terminals with no wires and broken solder joints... that is what is confusing to me.

#18 3 years ago

Well... I feel dumb, read manual, and the two lower thumpers score only after a right lane and a flag...
So, I may be closer to correct operation than I thought!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
$ 22.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider theanvil.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-revival-?tu=theanvil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.