(Topic ID: 251900)

Poll: Wizard of Oz (WOZ) vs Willy Wonka (WW)

By LukyDuck

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic poll

“Poll: Wizard of Oz (WOZ) vs Willy Wonka (WW)”

• WOZ - Theme 0 votes
  • WW - Theme 1 vote
    1%
  • WOZ - Gameplay / Code 2 votes
    3%
  • WW - Gameplay / Code 4 votes
    5%
  • WOZ - Lights / Sound 0 votes
  • WW - Lights / Sound 0 votes
  • WOZ - Mechs / Toys 2 votes
    3%
  • WW - Mechs / Toys 0 votes
  • WOZ - Overall (Theme, Gameplay, Lights/Sound, Mechs/Toys) 46 votes
    62%
  • WW - Overall (Theme, Gameplay, Lights/Sound, Mechs/Toys) 17 votes
    23%
  • I like both of them equally and could not pick one over the other. 2 votes
    3%

(74 votes)

This poll has been closed.

#1 4 years ago

I didn't find a poll for this, so here it is.

I am interested in purchasing both, but can only afford "one" of them. I have played both, but not enough to make a decision on just one. Price is not an option or in the equation.

I am looking for advice from those pinsiders that "have" played both of them. Game play is important to me, but so is the whole package.

For those that have played both games, which on would you choose and why?

If you have comments on either game, I would love to read them.

And since there a a variety of models, especially for WOZ, which model would you recommend? Remember, price is not an option.

And thank you to those that leave comments.

#2 4 years ago

WOZ Ruby Red all the way!!! I like WW, but given the two WOZ is just more immersive all around.

#3 4 years ago

Ive owned both and all jjp pins for that matter. These games are total opposite of one another. Woz is top notch at bringing you in and immersing you in the theme ... Wonka isn't bad but lacks compared to woz and hobbit. However the gameplay on wonka is so much better imo with so many shots and it just flows awesome. Woz one ramp and multiple playfields is cool at first but the game is slower paced and much more strategy based . It all depends what your looking for in a game and id reccomend putting a fair amount of time in on both. My ideal collection wld b all the jjp pins and few b/w and sterns.... but all the jjp pins are all fairly different and offer something for everyone.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

WOZ Ruby Red all the way!!! I like WW, but given the two WOZ is just more immersive all around.

It is immersive but the gameplay lacks overall in what I'm looking for in a pin . I don't dislike it by any means but i much prefer the gameplay of dile and wonka over woz and hobbit... potc falls in the middle for me.

#5 4 years ago

WOZ, easily. It's a modern day TZ loaded with toys, interactive features, and has one of the most deepest and polished rulesets in pinball.

#6 4 years ago

I own both, WoZ is the Rolls, Wonka is the Ferrari. Which is to say WoZ is gorgeous, I still don't think it has been topped for looks, but the gameplay is more stop & go. It plays well, there's a wide range of shots and strategies, but it depends on what you like or are looking for. Wonka is smooth and fast. The ball is constantly travelling up and around. You can go ramp to orbit to ramp for minutes at a time. The playfield is designed for flow and constant motion and it shows.

I love them both, would never part with either, for me it's more of a case of what I'm in the mood for. You haven't rated any games here so I'm not sure what your favorites are.

#7 4 years ago

This is interesting to me aswell. We are currently building a gameroom. We should be able to accomodate two or maybe three pins over time. I love the jjp games visually and wonka and pirates seems best gameplaywise, but not qualitywise.
It also is the matter of hopefully having The family like and get in to pinball.

Hard decisions to make......

#8 4 years ago

Thanks for the replies/comments. They are helpful.

#9 4 years ago

WOZ by far, and not just because I own one. I did consider buying a Wonka, but gave up after extensively playing it on location. I wish JJP made a Wonka theme with a Dialed In playfield.

#10 4 years ago

Bump just to see if there is anyone else willing to comment.

#11 4 years ago

I know it’s personal preference, but Wonka just doesn’t do it for me. I usually play a game and walk away. WOZ and Dialed In on the other hand always pull me in and make me want to play more. Hobbit is my my least favorite JJP pin but Wonka is a close second.

#12 4 years ago

i could never get into woz, it's the only jjp game I don't like. seemed kind of clunky to me and never could quite figure out what to do, other than rescue dorothy and bash the witch. I do like Wonka quite a bit, much better flow and easier rules to understand, plus I like the theme better. what do I know, I love the hobbit and think it's the most immersive game I've ever played. POTC is better than both of them.

#13 4 years ago

Have a deposit down on a WWCF CE and just snagged a WOZ RR from the last JJP run.

I am leaning towards cancelling my deposit and passing on purchasing WWCF. I have an AFMr LE which is a great shooting game and great theme which may lesson any sting of passing on WWCF.

#14 4 years ago

I would say WW by a mile...its just a far better shooter, and will only get better in time....I tried my best to get into WOZ (Ive owned 2), but just didn't find it that fun....theres almost too much going on. If I was ranking JJP games it would be the following:

POTC
WW
Hobbit
DI
WOZ

#15 4 years ago

WOZ it's jammed packed with cool stuff it's got a deep rule set with different things to shoot at and it can be a tough game when set up right. I love the theme on Wonka but I could not get into the game long playing safe shots and lack of assets.

#16 4 years ago

If there is a mode in WWCF that's anywhere close to as much fun as Melt the Witch in WOZ I've never seen it, and that's just one example. Every time I play WWCF I keep expecting that JJP awesomeness but I've not found it yet. WOZ is a bit of stop and go and rather demanding from a player's perspective but I love it and I think the interactive toys (Monkey, Spinning House, Castle Doors and Crystal Ball) are much better than those on WWCF.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I would say WW by a mile...its just a far better shooter, and will only get better in time....I tried my best to get into WOZ (Ive owned 2), but just didn't find it that fun....theres almost too much going on. If I was ranking JJP games it would be the following:
POTC
WW
Hobbit
DI
WOZ

I know you said Wonka will only get better with time but its code seems pretty much done. The most recent Wonka updates are all bug fix and adjustment related, code for core game and modes seem done. Then again I don't think Wonka was ever intended to be as deep as past JJP titles.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I know you said Wonka will only get better with time but its code seems pretty much done. The most recent Wonka updates are all bug fix and adjustment related, code for core game and modes seem done. Then again I don't think Wonka was ever intended to be as deep as past JJP titles.

who knows...JJP has a history of adding and modifying code...could go on for years if they stay in business....

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

who knows...JJP has a history of adding and modifying code...could go on for years if they stay in business....

They do but Wonka may very well be done code wise at this point. The game was designed and marketed for on location play. It's still a deep game, just not as deep as their other games.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

WOZ, easily. It's a modern day TZ loaded with toys, interactive features, and has one of the most deepest and polished rulesets in pinball.

TZ plus a bit of Tspp.

I only just played Wonka not that impressed with the code (might it get improved? Yes but as of now Woz has better code).

I voted Woz RR.

#21 4 years ago

I owned WOZ for several years and I now own Wonka. Wonka is fast and fun to shoot, with a poor theme integration and confusing code. WOZ is a perfect theme integration with an interesting playfield and great code. Wonka is a B+ and WOZ is an A and one of the greatest games ever. Both are great games, but Wonka falls short in some areas.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I owned WOZ for several years and I now own Wonka. Wonka is fast and fun to shoot, with a poor theme integration and confusing code. WOZ is a perfect theme integration with an interesting playfield and great code. Wonka is a B+ and WOZ is an A and one of the greatest games ever. Both are great games, but Wonka falls short in some areas.

Correct right now Wonka to me seems unfinished and not that great code but I prefer DI if was getting a JJP narrow body pin with a great theme and toys shots and ramps.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

POTC
WW
Hobbit
DI
WOZ

That is a bizarre ranking my friend.

Woz by a mile, I say. I feel wonka is jjp's worst pin, sadly.

#24 4 years ago

woz is the best all around package jjp has ever put out!

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

That is a bizarre ranking my friend.
Woz by a mile, I say. I feel wonka is jjp's worst pin, sadly.

Not really....I've owned two WOZ games (RR and ECLE)....really wanted to to like the game, but in the end I couldn't....Hobbit was far more enjoyable....POTC is in a different league, and WW is a much better shooter with far greater flow....try explaining the rule set to a 10 year old...good luck

#26 4 years ago

Thanks to all that responded to the poll and comments. They all came in handy.

I decided to purchase a RR WOZ because I was lucky enough to find one NIB and figured it might be the last time they are sold NIB. I figured I had more time to wait on a NIB WW down the road. So I might get one next year.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

Thanks to all that responded to the poll and comments. They all came in handy.
I decided to purchase a RR WOZ because I was lucky enough to find one NIB and figured it might be the last time they are sold NIB. I figured I had more time to wait on a NIB WW down the road. So I might get one next year.

Great choice!!

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Great choice!!

Thanks. I am also keeping my eye open for the next CGC remake. I would love to buy a NIB TS or any of the most popular titles from the past.

4 months later
#29 4 years ago

Shopping for my first pin, and faced with nearly the same decision. Going with one of the two. Have played both games a lot. Going NIB so RR not available as far as I can tell. OK with yellow trim and missing monkey on YBR. Biggest question for WoZ owners relates to the upper playfields. How does upper playfield fun hold up over the years? Oh, and what do you think of that left outlane pop-bumper/target cluster? When you drain there do you ignore it, or nudge the machine for extra action? Any other advice/opinion appreciated.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Lrrr:

How does upper playfield fun hold up over the years?

Both upper playfields are integral to accomplishments in the game. You are forced to get the ball up there, so it's more a question challenge than fun. They both retain a perfect amount of challenge without getting boring or frustrating. The munchkin pf is a bit more fun to me. Make enough loops to reveal the witch's feet and start a munchkin mode is cool.

Quoted from Lrrr:

Oh, and what do you think of that left outlane pop-bumper/target cluster? When you drain there do you ignore it, or nudge the machine for extra action?

Mostly ignore it. The targets should be set so it doesn't activate TNPLH too much because it's kind of a distraction. I'll always play it with little expectation I'll beat it to retrieve my ball. But once in awhile I will beat it to get another ball. It's more of a game within a game. It can kill the flow of the game in progress.

The TOTO outlane is better implemented as more of a last chance countdown to light and score and extra ball. Just don't set it up to happen too easily. But when it does occur, you have one (maybe two) chances to nail the shot. Perfectly implemented,. It doesn't really disrupt the game in progress like TNPLH.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Lrrr:

Shopping for my first pin, and faced with nearly the same decision. Going with one of the two. Have played both games a lot. Going NIB so RR not available as far as I can tell. OK with yellow trim and missing monkey on YBR. Biggest question for WoZ owners relates to the upper playfields. How does upper playfield fun hold up over the years? Oh, and what do you think of that left outlane pop-bumper/target cluster? When you drain there do you ignore it, or nudge the machine for extra action? Any other advice/opinion appreciated.

I always try for outlane saves. It’s a fun challenge to try to save the ball either way. Woz is such a great game in all aspects.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 91.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

14,356 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Roswell, GA
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 64.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-woz-vs-willy-wonka-ww and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.