Topic Stats

• 198 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 37 days ago by harryhoudini
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 48 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
0418201858 (resized).jpg
2889BAFE-B122-49D7-A848-BE6A830B22D1 (resized).jpeg
20191231_165927 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#74 7 months ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

Totally agree CGC had to pay. I don't think Gomez or Eddy were paid, but I imagine the rights to the B/W games were bought fair and square. My point is that as long as decisions on what to produce are legal (and I do not believe there is any legal ownership or patent obtained over the creation of a mod), I don't see the need to hate on Houdini here. We all regularly use products in our daily life and even in our pinball life that are near copies of something someone else produced. And if the demand is there, I don't see faulting someone for legally increasing the supply of a desired product.
As one more example, some mod makers here produce a Gobstopper shooter rod for Willy Wonka. If I am wrong let me know and I will say so, but I bet they never asked JJP for permission there nor did they think of the idea themselves. And I don't see the hate directed to them for it.

There’s no legal standing to any of the modding community’s products, despite all the hard work that goes into them.

My view is that this is akin to a “party foul” where IMO Scott should have reached out to Gouveia, given the fairly stark similarity to his mod. Did he have to do this? No, absolutely not. But would it have saved all this shitstorm? Yes IMO it would have.

Scott gives very clear credit for the JJP chest mod he produces, so I believe him when he says he didn’t think this mod was that similar to the other witch mod. I personally disagree, and think it would have been smart to at least reach out, or acknowledge it - but again this is more of a “mod community norms” thing than some legal situation.

what we are all talking about is respect for each other’s work.

Anyway, the mod looks good, he has doubled down on pushing back (I might have cautioned you against that one Scott) and will still produce it. Scott’s (Harry’s ) support and follow through is EXCELLENT. I have not had the fortune to install one of the Red Witch smoke mods but I understand that is kick ass too.

so - for me - while I think he should give a nod to the original, he doesn’t really “need” to, it’s just a matter of how the community responds at this point.

#76 7 months ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I dont see a point in doing that. It has been out of production for like 2 years. So what would happen, he reaches out and then gets told no, I am going to do a rerun at some time and then what?
Everyone has been wanting a witch mod, so to me, if you snooze you lose and someone jumped on the opportunity.

“Hey just wanted you to know I’m going to be working on a new mod, and since you created the first one, thought you should know”. Again (hey is this the third time Now?) a mod creator doesn’t NEED to do this. But that’s the difference between the respectful way and the dick move way. I should repeat I believe Scott when he says he didn’t think they were that similar. Mod creating isn’t cutthroat business, we’re all doing this hobby because we want to, not because there’s tons of money in it.

The new Creature mod creators reached out to PinballMikeD AFAIK, as he had clearly stated he was done doing his mod

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.99
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saco, ME
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.90
Playfields
The Super Fasteners

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside