pasted_image (resized).png
0418201858 (resized).jpg
2889BAFE-B122-49D7-A848-BE6A830B22D1 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phoenixpin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Sorry, but this is a blatant rip off of Steve's red smoke witch mod not matter how you slice it.
If you're pissed you couldn't find one and try to replicate it for your own machine, I kind-of get it, but to duplicate it and then try to sell it for profit? not cool.
For many people in this hobby integrity matters, and you just lost it.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Whether or not Steve's design is available for purchase at any point in time does not provide a green light to just rip it off to supply pent-up demand with an inferior version of his creative work. Try that line of reasoning with Disney products that are limited edition or out of print sometime and count the seconds until you're sued. Stealing a design is stealing a design, and that's what you've done. The worst part about it is it was completely unnecessary. There were other ways to creatively mod that witch that haven't been done even now if you really wanted to provide something cool to that market.
Anyway, I just dropped in to rebut the "but there weren't any to buy" excuse. I'm done droning on about this. It's not my mod, but I felt offended that you so blatantly ripped off a valued pinsider's original work and felt I had to speak out about so if anyone else is tempted in the future to do something like this they might have second thoughts.

This line of thinking sounds disingenuous to me. Currently hundreds of pinsiders enjoy CGC’s remakes of MM, AFM and Monster Bash. CGC made them precisely because there was pent-up demand for these titles. I’m not sure why mod making is any different, other than you feel a local mod maker is a more tangible community member that deserves special treatment, a “valued pinsider”. I don’t recall CGC asking Brian Eddy or George Gomez whether it’s ok to remake their games, and I’m sure they’re not getting royalties.

This is separate from Houdini’s attitude, which does not help his position.

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

You don’t think CGC had to pay to replicate B/W games? I’d be shocked if that was the case.

Totally agree CGC had to pay. I don't think Gomez or Eddy were paid, but I imagine the rights to the B/W games were bought fair and square. My point is that as long as decisions on what to produce are legal (and I do not believe there is any legal ownership or patent obtained over the creation of a mod), I don't see the need to hate on Houdini here. We all regularly use products in our daily life and even in our pinball life that are near copies of something someone else produced. And if the demand is there, I don't see faulting someone for legally increasing the supply of a desired product.

As one more example, some mod makers here produce a Gobstopper shooter rod for Willy Wonka. If I am wrong let me know and I will say so, but I bet they never asked JJP for permission there nor did they think of the idea themselves. And I don't see the hate directed to them for it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phoenixpin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-woz-flaming-witch-with-realistic-fire-mod-development?tu=phoenixpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.