pasted_image (resized).png
0418201858 (resized).jpg
2889BAFE-B122-49D7-A848-BE6A830B22D1 (resized).jpeg
There are 232 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 4 years ago

Here is an alternative to your tired, bored, encapsulated witch. This is meant as a plug and play, drop in replacement for your existing witch and tube and shouldn't take more than a half hour or hour to install. Everything is printed, sanded and painted by hand. The highest quality and strongest filaments are used to make a long lasting, highly detailed piece.

https://pinballmods.co/wizard-oz-pinball-flaming-wicked-witch-mod-with-realistic-fire

The mod consists of 3 pieces. A stone base, a flaming fire insert and a witch figure. The base is set to match the walls and rock work of the RR Backalley Creations castle walls. The witch is modeled after the movie, with a menacing look and an actual wooden broom in her hand. All pieces were hand designed by a talented 3D artist who has sculpted each element individually.

While the base and witch are the same for all versions, we are offering 5 different flame finishes surrounding the witch.

- Classic Movie Red Smoke & Flames (translucent red filament)
- Ruby Red (clear filament with a metallic cherry red finish with sparkling flecks)
- Emerald City (green translucent filament with a metallic emerald sparking coating)
- Yellow Brick Road (clear filament with a yellow gold sparkle coating)
- Clear (translucent PETG flames which are foggy clear (like white smoke) while unlit)

Each mod comes with an embedded set of micro controlled addressable LEDs which add a whole additional layer of depth and interactivity to the witch. All of these features/functions are controllable and disable-able so you can make the lighting work how you like it. Color selection of the flame lights can be chosen to match your flame look. The LED strips are embedded within the flames for a very realistic look and even color/glow.

- When the witch is retracted a slow, steady, dim glow slowly pulses in the flames
- When the witch starts to travel upwards the slow pulses increase to a roaring flame with flickering wisps of red, yellow and orange (default, or other colors selected to match your flames)
- When the witch is defeated the flames retreat down and go out. After a short time they start up again back to the first stage of lighting above.

A keypad is included with the controller which let you configure the "show" (slow simmering flames to raising flames to going out, or just have the flames come on when the witch is up), the flame colors (fire, emerald, golden), max brightness and the speed at which the flames flicker. You can make this mod custom to your game and your tastes.

Unique touches and finishes are available upon request to customize your mod.

As we are finalizing this mod and gauging interest I'll leave you with this images to give you an idea of what you can expect in a finished product. Printing these takes a considerable amount of time so it will take a bit to get all of the finishes tested and finalized so we can post them for your review.

Since these do take so long to print and assemble they are being done in a batch process. We can produce about 3 of these each week as we ramp up production. As soon as we have finalized the designs we will open up ordering and will produce witches as they are ordered. We will offer an option without the lighting and controller if you have your own lighting ideas or would rather it just use the two stock LEDs (which will not light up the flames, necessarily).

If you have already replaced the tube with another design element but are still looking for the upgraded witch figure we are going to offer those for sale individually. They should fit any enclosure that fit the original witch and is a quick swap.

A special pre-order price of $225 is being offered so we can do some bulk ordering of parts in advance and start to build the lighting controllers. After we have completed the design the price will increase.

Here is a very early test of the ruby red flames and about 1/4 of the overall lighting that will be in the final version. There will be many more flames, evenly spread out and more constant light versus the sporadic light. This is about 6 LED elements when the final will have closer to 20.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2 4 years ago

Looks great!

#3 4 years ago

Yikes. There are SO MANY ways to go with new mods to make and sell - literally thousands of possibilities you can pull from your brain that don't take from others making mods too. Why do you have to rip off someone else's very well received idea, ESPECIALLY when he is about to start making them again?

Do not understand this move. At all.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yikes. There are SO MANY ways to go with new mods to make and sell - literally thousands of possibilities you can pull from your brain that don't take from others making mods too. Why do you have to rip off someone else's very well received idea, ESPECIALLY when he is about to start making them again?

We started on this many weeks ago when it was very well established that there were no other companies making these mods and no intentions that I knew of to make more. Spent lots of time and money on design work making it a different product with distinctive features and look. There are/were other versions of mods very similar to this which are also no longer being produced. Did the modfather well come first? I don't know...Did the witch replacements come first? I just know that it isn't a unique space. Constantly there are posts asking where people can get any sort of witch replacement, if any of the other manufacturers are making them still, etc. It seemed only fitting to try and make our own to serve that need. I searched for a witch mod to replace mine for years, missing out on Steve's original batch, the modfather well didn't fit my game after two were sent to me and the other people making witches were no where to be found. If I wasn't able to find one on a used machine I'd still be sitting with my stupid looking tube waiting to see if someone might do something still. Instead of sitting around we took on the task. If we knew Steve was producing more we likely would have focused on the other concepts we are producing. The limited availability of a replacement witch was not my doing.

*edit... I also think, in my limited history, I have a pattern of creating unique designs and products that no one else is producing. If there is nothing else on the market I see no reason to not produce a mod that is being requested. If I knew we were competing, like I said, I would have likely focused on other items, which we are also working on at this time.

#5 4 years ago

The flames look awesome and definitely a good twist. It does seem awfully close to Steves design, but I don’t know the whole history of witch replacements.

#6 4 years ago

It looks like you "spent lots of time and money" copying my design. There were many different versions of a "witch mod" when I created mine--in a well, in a birdcage, Hallmark toy in the tube, cauldron, etc. You had a tube and you could do a million different things. If you were creative, you could have designed your own new idea. Instead, you bought my witch mod second-hand (just like my monkey--plan on copying that too?), and then proceeded to copy and and steal my design.

Even if I wasn't going to make any more (which I am), that doesn't give you the right to steal from me.

Your witch is not different. It's not distinctive. It's an overpriced, sad attempt to replicate my design. It's cheap and misleading.

But most importantly, YOU HAVE STOLEN MY WORK.

#7 4 years ago

daaaaaaaamn. Witch pinball drama. haha

#8 4 years ago

Seriously. So fucking stupid. Thanks Houdini.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from gouveia:

It looks like you "spent lots of time and money" copying my design. There were many different versions of a "witch mod" when I created mine--in a well, in a birdcage, Hallmark toy in the tube, cauldron, etc. You had a tube and you could do a million different things. If you were creative, you could have designed your own new idea. Instead, you bought my witch mod second-hand (just like my monkey--plan on copying that too?), and then proceeded to copy and and steal my design.
Even if I wasn't going to make any more (which I am), that doesn't give you the right to steal from me.
Your witch is not different. It's not distinctive. It's an overpriced, sad attempt to replicate my design. It's cheap and misleading.

What was the time period between the last time you sold this mod and when you announced that you were remaking them?

#10 4 years ago

Sorry, but this is a blatant rip off of Steve's red smoke witch mod not matter how you slice it.

If you're pissed you couldn't find one and try to replicate it for your own machine, I kind-of get it, but to duplicate it and then try to sell it for profit? not cool.

For many people in this hobby integrity matters, and you just lost it.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

If we knew Steve was producing more we likely would have focused on the other concepts we are producing. The limited availability of a replacement witch was not my doing.

Whether or not Steve's design is available for purchase at any point in time does not provide a green light to just rip it off to supply pent-up demand with an inferior version of his creative work. Try that line of reasoning with Disney products that are limited edition or out of print sometime and count the seconds until you're sued. Stealing a design is stealing a design, and that's what you've done. The worst part about it is it was completely unnecessary. There were other ways to creatively mod that witch that haven't been done even now if you really wanted to provide something cool to that market.

Anyway, I just dropped in to rebut the "but there weren't any to buy" excuse. I'm done droning on about this. It's not my mod, but I felt offended that you so blatantly ripped off a valued pinsider's original work and felt I had to speak out about so if anyone else is tempted in the future to do something like this they might have second thoughts.

#12 4 years ago

I guess the question rises, is this the same situation as the LOTR palantir mod that is being duplicated by a different mod maker after the original seller could not make them enough? How long does a mod have to be out of production before someone can do something similar to fill demand in this hobby? I only am asking the question not stating an opinion one way or the other.

We do have copyright laws/protections in the USA as well. Lawyers and CODs are always options, ugh.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from gouveia:

Did you make the first well? Ah no, you didn't... modfather did, years before you, yet yours looks remarkably the same. But I'm sure that was all something you designed from scratch somewhere without any inspiration.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-witchs-well-and-walls-now-available

Did you make first witch? Ah no, you didn't.. others have been made and sold before and after yours, did they also copy you? Yet, we created and modeled a witch from scratch using stills from the movie. But, of course, making a witch for the wizard of oz game is something only you could do?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-wicked-witch-super-model-mod-makeover

So if you are considering the fact that you added red smoke around the well somehow made your design something unique then I would also consider our flames and lights unique. Nothing of yours was copied. Do you consider all the slim earbuds that charge in their case airpods?

Did modfather post in your thread when you started selling your mods claiming you stole his design? What about wozmods?

You are on quite a high horse for a design that really isn't entirely that different from other options that were on the market before your first post.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Whether or not Steve's design is available for purchase at any point in time does not provide a green light to just rip it off to supply pent-up demand with an inferior version of his creative work. Try that line of reasoning with Disney products that are limited edition or out of print sometime and count the seconds until you're sued. Stealing a design is stealing a design, and that's what you've done. The worst part about it is it was completely unnecessary. There were other ways to creatively mod that witch that haven't been done even now if you really wanted to provide something cool to that market.
Anyway, I just dropped in to rebut the "but there weren't any to buy" excuse. I'm done droning on about this. It's not my mod, but I felt offended that you so blatantly ripped off a valued pinsider's original work and felt I had to speak out about so if anyone else is tempted in the future to do something like this they might have second thoughts.

It's not an excuse, it was the state of the market for the last 2 years or so. I searched high and low for options, I posted several times looking for alternatives and scoured places to find something suitable. The witch shows up a limited number of places in the movie in the same outfit. There are two remarkable scenes for her and the other is with the crystal ball, which exists elsewhere in the game.

You also seem to be on some high horse when there is very little that was remarkably unique and different about Steve's design over items that already existed at the time his was created. There are only so many ways to design around the limited space and features in that area. If you put more flames in front, you can't see the witch. If you don't put anything behind her you can see the mechs that exist. There is going to be similarities across the board. To say that red flames/smoke is unique is also somewhat pretentious when you go back and look at the options in the movie. If I put a tall castle wall behind her would I be copying modfather?

Please, if you want to share with me one of the many design ideas for that area I'll be happy to produce it.

#15 4 years ago

I feel compelled to say something.

Dont buy this mod.
It looks like an over priced rip off of an original Steve Gouveia.

Get the original

it's not cheap 3d printed and will last years of abuse in a game.

Dont be fooled.

The real thing is being reproduced now by the original artist.

You wont be disappointed.
Its really the best you can get.

Im personally disappointed in you Harry. You can do better.
You dont need to RIP off someone else's work.

Make your own stuff please.
Think outside the box.

Steve Gouveia mod's are the real deal.

Its not even a loyalty issue.

It's just a fact,

Steve's work is unsurpassed.

Dont accept cheap copies. Dont waste your money on this.

#16 4 years ago

The 3D printed mods will last as long as any resin cast mod. The original artists would be modfather or backalley creations or the other folks who made witches and wells before Steve's. Let's at least credit those who came up with the ideas.

I think my work is also unsurpassed through the hundreds and hundreds of other mods we have created and sold. In fact, I would venture to say we've sold more mods at this point.

#17 4 years ago

"Ah no" is right. As in "Ah no thanks!"

#18 4 years ago
#19 4 years ago

Ha... it's funny, Steve actually added the modfather wall to his after he initially created it. That's sort of rich, glass houses and all.

#20 4 years ago

Ha... it's funny, Steve actually added the modfather wall to his after he initially created it. That's sort of rich, glass houses and all.

From day one, I never liked your posts or attitude. This blatant rip-off and then your attempt to pretend you have done nothing wrong is crazy. You stole Steve's idea plain and simple.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I guess the question rises, is this the same situation as the LOTR palantir mod that is being duplicated by a different mod maker after the original seller could not make them enough? How long does a mod have to be out of production before someone can do something similar to fill demand in this hobby? I only am asking the question not stating an opinion one way or the other.

I share this question as well.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

I share this question as well.

Create your own mods. It doesn't take a genius to copy someone else's idea. I'd say if a "few" years have passed, maybe but this is a total ripoff.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Create your own mods. It doesn't take a genius to copy someone else's idea. I'd say if a "few" years have passed, maybe but this is a total ripoff.

It’s a legit question, ignore it if that makes you feel better.

#25 4 years ago

Just wondering which specific part you all consider the ripoff. Because the witch isn't Steve's idea. The block wall isn't Steve's idea. The smoke is part of what is in the movie, so are flames. Adding flames around the block base isn't Steve's idea. He didn't offer colors or put lights in them. So if someone made a Wizard head would I also not be able to make one of those? You act as if he has some monopoly on witch wells, witches and things around them. His concept is only different from every other thing that was out on the market in one way. Yet you all consider it some sort of gold standard when it was only as unique as from the other concepts as much as mine is at least unique from his. Your pretentiousness is unreal.

#26 4 years ago

You have been stalking and posting on Steves and Mezelmods threads like you are the authority on modding. And then you come out with a blatant copy of one of them. If you kept things to yourself and stop posting on others threads you would be doing yourself and your business a great favor. Right now you are just coming off like an asshat!

#27 4 years ago

It’s a legit question, ignore it if that makes you feel better.

I don't think anyone is ignoring it, it's just an obvious common-sense thing that most people have an idea of the general guidelines about.

Ask Disney what they think about someone coming in and knocking off one of their limited edition or even regular but long-NLA items. It's a major no-no and they have no sense of humor about it.

Now in the pinball/modding community, things are a lot more relaxed, so I would think that if a mod was long out of production (4 years? 5? Basically a long time) and you had the ability to do a copy or something very similar well and wanted to tread that road instead of exploring your own new and creative ideas, the LEAST you could do is contact the original modder for their blessing. Maybe they're out of mods and would be happy to let you continue. Maybe they would be offended and say no. Whatever the outcome, that would be the very least I would expect for that situation.

#28 4 years ago

Emerald City green. Mostly a test of the color, the next version of the flames should be done this weekend and I'll post an updated one. A few more licks of flames, a bit more randomness and adjustments for lighting. Oh and the blocks are being sliced properly so they can be printed on the base and the flames sit inside of them.

#29 4 years ago

Here's a basic test of the fire light layout. The pattern isn't programmed for the layout of the lights yet, I had to see how to best smash them all in there. It's 24 or so lights I think but I'm waiting on a denser light strip to arrive to see how many I can pack in there. Then I'll adjust the programming to match which lights are at which height so the flames can build vertically instead of haphazardly.

Can't wait to test the green flames, waiting to build more lights until I get the other LEDs.

Oh and waiting for the diffusion material to get here which will spread out the lighting more within the flames.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I don't think anyone is ignoring it, it's just an obvious common-sense thing that most people have an idea of the general guidelines about.
Ask Disney what they think about someone coming in and knocking off one of their limited edition or even regular but long-NLA items. It's a major no-no and they have no sense of humor about it.
Now in the pinball/modding community, things are a lot more relaxed, so I would think that if a mod was long out of production (4 years? 5? Basically a long time) and you had the ability to do a copy or something very similar well and wanted to tread that road instead of exploring your own new and creative ideas, the LEAST you could do is contact the original modder for their blessing. Maybe they're out of mods and would be happy to let you continue. Maybe they would be offended and say no. Whatever the outcome, that would be the very least I would expect for that situation.

Funny, I’d still like to hear how long it’s been since these were last sold and the notice they would be remade.

#31 4 years ago

Wanna see a magic trick?

Poof I’m boycotting all Harry Houdini products!

Ta-Da!!!!

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Wanna see a magic trick?
Poof I’m boycotting all Harry Houdini products!
Ta-Da!!!!

How many did you buy so far?

#33 4 years ago

Those jerks Mezel Mods copied ModCouple again:

https://mezelmods.com/collections/pirates-of-the-caribbean-jjp/products/pirates-of-the-caribbean-dauntless-dress-up-kit
https://themodcouplepinball.com/collections/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-custom-mods-collection/products/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-dauntless-dress-up-kit-custom-ship-mod

THEY EVEN CALLED IT THE SAME THING!

Another one?!

https://themodcouplepinball.com/collections/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-custom-mods-collection/products/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-deadmen-custom-sign-mod
https://mezelmods.com/collections/pirates-of-the-caribbean-jjp/products/pirates-of-the-caribbean-pinball-black-pearl-cannon

How dare they!!

Wait, did someone create a direct copy (save one peak) from the actual game itself that JJP designed?! Say it a'int so!
https://themodcouplepinball.com/collections/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-custom-mods-collection/products/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-devils-triangle-custom-rocks-mod

Are you telling me JJP also put a tornado in a game they sold?
https://mezelmods.com/collections/wizard-of-oz-pinball-mods/products/wizard-of-oz-pinball-tornado

Are you telling me multiple people make backboard and trough lighting for the same game?
https://cointaker.com/products/wizard-of-oz-pinball-led-strip-backboard-and-trough-light-set-kit
https://mezelmods.com/collections/wizard-of-oz-pinball-mods/products/pinball-trough-lighting-kit-wizard-of-oz?variant=5299333791773

TWO EMERALD CITIES?! GASP!
https://www.pinballlife.com/emerald-city-mod-for-wizard-of-oz.html
https://mezelmods.com/collections/wizard-of-oz-pinball-mods/products/wizard-of-oz-pinball-city

Or plastic protectors... or shooter rods... or side art... or lexan washers, or what?

You all can go stuff it.

Added over 5 years ago:

In case you didn't get the sarcasm, this was all in jest. Multiple people make the same mods, for the same games. None of these people are jerks nor should you not buy their mods.

#34 4 years ago

Btw, I also just posted a 10% off coupon since we launched our new webstore recently, a little promotion. Not sure how long I'll leave it active but it's there for you to use on this preorder or barrels or whatever. Gotta find my thread though!

#35 4 years ago

Funny, I’d still like to hear how long it’s been since these were last sold and the notice they would be remade.

Are you just trolling? I answered the "why" of your other question and you downvoted it? You're welcome...I guess?

But here's the answer to your question of "when" - the witches were done at the beginning of 2018, so not even 2 years ago. At the time he said he may be making more in the future. Then this year Steve said he was making more about 2 months ago if I recall correctly. So there was never a "I'm done making my mod forever" statement, and the gap wasn't even that long. So, that excuse is out the window.

#36 4 years ago

This was an early test of the "movie red" flame look on one of the very early, low quality flame prints (so ignore the print lines and such, you won't see those in the finished, sanded pieces). Just messing with flame ideas and colors. I think it might get some more orange and white, still playing around with it working to give a representation of the flames in the movie. Probably some more shadow work with some darker red.

#37 4 years ago

This chick is pissed

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Are you just trolling? I answered the "why" of your other question and you downvoted it? You're welcome...I guess?
But here's the answer to your question of "when" - the witches were done at the beginning of 2018, so not even 2 years ago. At the time he said he may be making more in the future. Then this year Steve said he was making more about 2 months ago if I recall correctly. So there was never a "I'm done making my mod forever" statement, and the gap wasn't even that long. So, that excuse is out the window.

I didn’t ask “why” I just wanted the timeline. Had to ask like 3 times but now there’s an answer!

#39 4 years ago

You all can go stuff it.

Great business plan. I'm sure your stuff will sell like crazy now.

#40 4 years ago

Competition is a good thing. As consumers we now have more choices. Prices become more competitive and products become better. Companies put their own spin on previous work all the time. Coke and Pepsi, Intel and AMD, the list goes on and on.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Great business plan. I'm sure your stuff will sell like crazy now.

It has and it will.

#42 4 years ago

It looks more like the witch's vajayjay.

Vajayjay (resized).pngVajayjay (resized).png

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from SirScott:

It looks more like the witch's vajayjay.
[quoted image]

Wondering how you know what that looks like.... hummm...

#44 4 years ago

Teeny tiny view of the latest render. Might be the last one before the final print, I think all the dimensions are done.

#45 4 years ago

"Those jerks Mezel Mods copied ModCouple again"

Harry, call me 1-505-358-5818, you got some explaining to do.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

What is the ripoff, the flames? Changing the witch is natural since it came from JJP.

The design seems to have been changed adding the castle walls below the flames. Doesnt look like a copy to me.

Maybe I am misunderstanding?

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Ehhhh I dont know on that. So about 2 years ago they stopped being sold and its wrong for someone to make a new one?

#48 4 years ago

No different than having your sparky painted. I think the real issue is Harry has called out other modders who have been assets to our community and they work together. Your attitude is less than desired and as a consumer you lost my wallet because of it.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

"Those jerks Mezel Mods copied ModCouple again"
Harry, call me 1-505-358-5818, you got some explaining to do.

Sorry, didn't add the "/s" to the end. Was not calling you out, merely suggesting multiple people can make the same mod for the same game.

There are 232 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-woz-flaming-witch-with-realistic-fire-mod-development?hl=moonduckie78 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.