pasted_image (resized).png
0418201858 (resized).jpg
2889BAFE-B122-49D7-A848-BE6A830B22D1 (resized).jpeg
There are 232 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 3 years ago

Light up hands and eyes will be a hit!!!

#202 3 years ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#203 3 years ago

Looks awesome!

#204 3 years ago

When do you think the led witch will start shipping out? Or how far out will these be ready VS the non led witch?

#205 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball69:

When do you think the led witch will start shipping out? Or how far out will these be ready VS the non led witch?

Based on the response so far they should all be shipped out within the next week or two. If everyone wanted a lit option it would be longer since we only have a handful of those ready. The v2 witch will be longer, we need to produce them. The lighting is a slow process.

#206 3 years ago

Scott- just keep us in the loop on shipping dates as I would like to be one of the first to install on the YBR WOZ. Thx

I will buy multiple builds of this witch stuff and I will decide which looks the best on my Playfield regardless who did what and when. I will support all vendors during this time. Oh I updated to the led hands and eye witch

Quoted from harryhoudini:

Based on the response so far they should all be shipped out within the next week or two. If everyone wanted a lit option it would be longer since we only have a handful of those ready. The v2 witch will be longer, we need to produce them. The lighting is a slow process.

#207 3 years ago

For sure, you'll be getting a shipping email/PM with tracking information as soon as they ship. We are planning to have them all out this week.

If anyone has placed an order and wants to upgrade there is still time, but we will be shipping out the plain witch without lighting for anyone who did not reply.

#208 3 years ago

Sounds great!!!thx

For sure, you'll be getting a shipping email/PM with tracking information as soon as they ship. We are planning to have them all out this week.
If anyone has placed an order and wants to upgrade there is still time, but we will be shipping out the plain witch without lighting for anyone who did not reply.

#209 3 years ago

So have you started shipping??? Excited to get this!! Waiting patiently for my shipping email!!

#210 3 years ago

Exactly what I was thinking- bring on the led (eye and hand) witches

Quoted from MrMikeman:

So have you started shipping??? Excited to get this!! Waiting patiently for my shipping email!!

#211 3 years ago

Crickets- I guess since we have not heard anything, he’s busy shipping them all out today

#212 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball69:

Crickets- I guess since we have not heard anything, he’s busy shipping them all out today

Yep.

#213 3 years ago

Weekend in still in this week! They are starting to go out, tracking numbers will be automatically emailed if you purchased on our site or we will update the order here if you purchased on pinside.

Head down, assembling the last bits and boxing. I would love to show video of the witch lit (psst, it doesn't just stay solid lit the whole time... ) but I think people would rather us spend the time shipping. Soon!

#214 3 years ago

No tracking for me as of today. I’m assuming Monday will be the tracking day or I may cancel. Will see.

Added over 4 years ago:

Tracking sent!!! Thx!!!

#215 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball69:

No tracking for me as of today. I’m assuming Monday will be the tracking day or I may cancel. Will see.

Hi Jeff, we are a small company who make things by hand. We aren't going to rush stuff out to make a specific day. I try to give best estimates, things happen, we can only do so much in the day with a few people. Your order is the last, other people have been waiting much longer, and it was 10 days ago. I tried to make it clear on our home page that these products take time to hand make one at a time, I believe I note up to 2-3 weeks which your order is well within. I hope you are able to wait, if not let me know and we will cancel your order. Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you.

As you can see the wiring in the witches (red wires) are like threads next to the brown wire which is like 28 gauge (still tiny). We have to be very careful, testing multiple times along the way so we don't pull the tiny pin head of a light off the tiny hair wires that connect them, all while not affecting the finish that we spent hours hand painting.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#216 3 years ago

Thanks for the reply - understand completely

#217 3 years ago

I’m extremely excited to receive my tracking info on the led lighted witch. Now we are rolling !!! Thanks Scott.

#218 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball69:

I’m extremely excited to receive my tracking info on the led lighted witch. Now we are rolling !!! Thanks Scott.

Lucky you. I ordered over a month ago and still nothing.... Even though I only want the regular unlit witch... ☹️

#219 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Lucky you. I ordered over a month ago and still nothing.... ☹️

Everyone should be getting a tracking number. I will check on yours and resend.

#220 3 years ago

Everyone should be getting a tracking number. I will check on yours and resend.

Maybe it’s because I also ordered the crystal ball too?

#221 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Maybe it’s because I also ordered the crystal ball too?

Ah yes, it was still getting packaged in a larger box than all the rest. It is updated on your pinside order now.

#222 3 years ago

Ah yes, it was still getting packaged in a larger box than all the rest. It is updated on your pinside order now.

Woohoooo!!

#223 3 years ago

Cool product and I’m happy you’ve shipped them out so you don’t need to listen to the women whining anymore.

#224 3 years ago

Btw, installation for the new version is relatively the same as the old. Please note that there are two identical plugs for the optical sensors. One plug and one socket are painted with a pink dot, those go together. If the witch is working weird, swap the plugs. Of course watch the installation instructions and then when I'm not coherent enough or I skipped a step, feel free to post here.

The only difference in the install with the lit witch is that you have a 2nd lighting connector from the witch going to the controller. One connector on the controller is labeled FLAMES and the other is generally unlabeled. That unlabeled one is for the witch lighting.

Any questions let me know!

Full Witch 2.0 details coming shortly.

#225 3 years ago

Man that flame matches the glitter on the YBR exact - thx Scott.

3EB8E2CA-7F1A-41D8-A353-BF3517594FE4 (resized).jpeg3EB8E2CA-7F1A-41D8-A353-BF3517594FE4 (resized).jpeg97DC13FF-152B-4763-971C-B5AA96B30688 (resized).jpeg97DC13FF-152B-4763-971C-B5AA96B30688 (resized).jpeg99047CB6-E9E6-441E-8F20-1B9851C80C8E (resized).jpeg99047CB6-E9E6-441E-8F20-1B9851C80C8E (resized).jpeg
#226 3 years ago

And few more in testing mode:
The color changes are pretty nice
3738A7BB-A7E4-4693-8F7B-CC6C8D160237 (resized).jpeg3738A7BB-A7E4-4693-8F7B-CC6C8D160237 (resized).jpegEF1F96DB-DC96-4FEF-BD9C-7939C7A1D1B6 (resized).jpegEF1F96DB-DC96-4FEF-BD9C-7939C7A1D1B6 (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#227 3 years ago

Installed mine yesterday. Very pretty yet creepy at the same time. Love the look.

Having a few issues. This first one is totally in my control. All mods seem to tap power at the same place. So I have a splitter in a splitter in a splitter etc. Emerald City, Tornado, Witch, Throne room flames, lit drop target, and hot air balloon are all pulling 12v from that connector. Result: Witch controller keeps rebooting. I will try to provide an alternate 12v source for the mods.

However when it doesn't reboot, the flames turn on and off at random times and/or stay lit most of the time. It's nearly impossible to have proper alignment of the 2 optos with the threaded rod. The rod is long and flexible and the IR beams of the optos are very narrow. The rod vibrates in and out of the IR beam during play (vibration & shaker) which causes the controller to think the witch is moving. Gonna keep tweaking but not sure how this could be improved with the current design. Maybe adding a rod guide/holder in between the 2 optos like the one that was on the microswitch version... Adjustable like the optos. Or maybe build in a 200-300ms delay before the controller reacts to the bottom opto (witch starting to move up). The bottom opto is where the most flex happens on both the opto bracket and threaded rod.

The witch catches a little on the back of the well/flames when going up/down. It's a tight fit. Maybe because I had to use the original metal bracket after cutting off the tab that held the hat. No screws are provided for the included 3D printed bracket which is too thick at the base to be able to use the original screws. Those screws are very small and I just don't have anything on hand that's about the same size, let alone longer. I will bend her forward a little and see if that corrects the issue.

#228 3 years ago

Hey Mike, thanks for the feedback. The alignment with the original bracket would make sense, that's part of why our bracket is thicker. There should have been two silver screws for the bracket. Happy to send those out so you can mount properly.

For the opto alignment, it does take a fine touch. I've installed and tested something like 20-30 bracket designs. Tweaking the metal holder for the optos (it can bend in 3 directions) has allowed me enough play to get them lined up. I tested with the alignment guide but it's a bit of a concern because the rod can get caught up even with a gradual curve.

But, I agree that it is tough. And that is why we are working on a solution for this (and other mods coming out soon) which don't need additional optos. I hadn't posted yet because we're still refining. I'll share more soon and we can look at upgrading existing opto/switch installs to this new method.

For power, there aren't a ton of other 12v fused lines. But it would be odd for the witch to reboot without the fuse blowing (I mean, 12v is 12v) and the controller of the witch only uses 5v (it has a step down board) so even weirder. What you might want to do at this point is get an independent DC power supply and use the service outlet to power some of those mods. You could measure the amperage draw on that circuit (it's F713) but in my limited knowledge the fuse should blow if there is too much draw.

#229 3 years ago

I will be looking to install soon to see if I see the same issues or post my findings and compare.

#230 3 years ago

Hey Mike, thanks for the feedback. The alignment with the original bracket would make sense, that's part of why our bracket is thicker. There should have been two silver screws for the bracket. Happy to send those out so you can mount properly.
For the opto alignment, it does take a fine touch. I've installed and tested something like 20-30 bracket designs. Tweaking the metal holder for the optos (it can bend in 3 directions) has allowed me enough play to get them lined up. I tested with the alignment guide but it's a bit of a concern because the rod can get caught up even with a gradual curve.
But, I agree that it is tough. And that is why we are working on a solution for this (and other mods coming out soon) which don't need additional optos. I hadn't posted yet because we're still refining. I'll share more soon and we can look at upgrading existing opto/switch installs to this new method.
For power, there aren't a ton of other 12v fused lines. But it would be odd for the witch to reboot without the fuse blowing (I mean, 12v is 12v) and the controller of the witch only uses 5v (it has a step down board) so even weirder. What you might want to do at this point is get an independent DC power supply and use the service outlet to power some of those mods. You could measure the amperage draw on that circuit (it's F713) but in my limited knowledge the fuse should blow if there is too much draw.

I managed to get the optos aligned by shimming the far opto with a zip tie underneath your adjustable bracket. I now realize I could have adjusted/bent the bracket differently than what I was doing but didn't think about it at the time.

For the witch bracket no worries I re-used the original metal one (cut off the hat tab). Same height/length as your 3d printed one. Works well.

For the power I did hook everything up to a separate power supply. However now that I think back it probably wasn't rebooting but the top opto was not well adjusted and it was detecting "witch up" with every vibration. Related to point #1. I assumed it was rebooting because the whole flame was lighting up but really if the controller senses witch up then no delay and all lights come on. Probably what was happening.

As I said everything is working. The only real difficulty was the alignment.

1 year later
#231 1 year ago

Hi,

Cracking open this old thread. I'm thinking of dropping the $345 for a witch, and they seem to still be available.

Did a search and cannot find a decent video of a production, fully installed witch in full operation. Found a video of part of an incomplete prototype, but not the real, final, deal.

Second question, are light up eyes and hands available or not?

#232 1 year ago

You're right, I can't believe we never did a real finished video. But we have been busy working on the v2 witch that has the option for the lit hands and eyes. We're in the final part of development of the code and have started producing them already so we'll have some ready to go. There are a few other upgrades, tweaks and fun things added that should make it for a nice upgrade. I can't promise a time but we are working on them actively so I think it should be this month.

I have a video in the works for the new one and I'll post that as soon as it is ready.

There are 232 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-woz-flaming-witch-with-realistic-fire-mod-development/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.