pasted_image (resized).png
0418201858 (resized).jpg
2889BAFE-B122-49D7-A848-BE6A830B22D1 (resized).jpeg

There are 232 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 4 years ago

Found a bug that I didn't realize could happen, thanks to an early tester. If you don't kill the witch and you drain the ball we didn't account for the witch going down but not being killed with ball drain. Making some adjustments now. If you mod hasn't shipped (even if you got a tracking number) we held it so we can update the software. Already working on the fix so shouldn't be too long.

#152 4 years ago

Here's the end solution. Had to add some product cost to the whole thing but I think it is worth it. We were using existing switch signals to trigger the witch but it has become apparent for many reasons that there isn't enough reliability there. So we moved to a mechanical switch setup. This custom bracket slips on to the witch mechanism and mounts two standard micro switches which will trigger the up and down actuation. I have a similar idea for the hit detection, if it works out I can send out an update kit as the whole thing already has the wiring built in.

The plate secures itself but I built in ziptie mounts to strap it to the bracket for added security. Adjustment built in for switch movement, switches of course included and wired up to the controller, screwed to the bracket ready to go. This one was printed in white for testing but I think all the finished ones will be printed in something cool. I am going to test carbon fiber filament for this, which I think will work and I have an excess of so perfect fit. It should blend in and be a bit cool looking at the same time. The bracket also sort of acts as protection for the rod and lower opto. I bent my original rod so sort of nice to have this added.

Thanks for the patience, it was worth it to make this change now and prevent further headaches. We have a handful of updated harnesses and we'll be getting the rest of the switches delivered tomorrow and will update the rest. As soon as yours is updated it will be put in the mail.

I have a few other WOZ mods coming out and as a thank you for the understanding I'll have a special offer or gift for everyone who purchased the witch mod so far. Might be a limited edition thing, not 100% sure as I have 3 WOZ mods in development.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#153 4 years ago

Thanks for the patience, we are done with the fixes and have tested and it looks great. **Ooops, new tracking numbers are being generated** They are getting boxed up again and put in the mail (again).

I am updating the install video to cover the new parts and how they integrate. The parts have been printed in Carbon Fiber filled PLA which is nice and dark and blends in well under the game, not that it matters.

I took the time to add in some more gradient options for the flame colors. There are something like 7 brightness levels (including off), 5 effect speed levels and 25 or so gradients. Should give a good option for most any color flame.

I'll do an actual product video once I put some of my game back together but install video will be posted in the next day or two so by the time you get the mods the video will be there. For most people you could probably figure it out without the video, it's that simple.

#154 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

We started on this many weeks ago when it was very well established that there were no other companies making these mods and no intentions that I knew of to make more. Spent lots of time and money on design work making it a different product with distinctive features and look. There are/were other versions of mods very similar to this which are also no longer being produced. Did the modfather well come first? I don't know...Did the witch replacements come first? I just know that it isn't a unique space. Constantly there are posts asking where people can get any sort of witch replacement, if any of the other manufacturers are making them still, etc. It seemed only fitting to try and make our own to serve that need. I searched for a witch mod to replace mine for years, missing out on Steve's original batch, the modfather well didn't fit my game after two were sent to me and the other people making witches were no where to be found. If I wasn't able to find one on a used machine I'd still be sitting with my stupid looking tube waiting to see if someone might do something still. Instead of sitting around we took on the task. If we knew Steve was producing more we likely would have focused on the other concepts we are producing. The limited availability of a replacement witch was not my doing.
*edit... I also think, in my limited history, I have a pattern of creating unique designs and products that no one else is producing. If there is nothing else on the market I see no reason to not produce a mod that is being requested. If I knew we were competing, like I said, I would have likely focused on other items, which we are also working on at this time.

Bro don't let these haters get to you. I've noticed a couple things being a pinball collector over the past 5 years. You have 2 types of people. Those who are really cool and those who are very arrogant and talk crap!!! I love you're mods and there isn't a damn thing wrong with you making them regardless of the haters. They don't understand supply and demand at all. I wouldn't even give these haters a response at all!!! Just keep right on doing what you're doing, because if people aren't talking about you good or bad then that's when you should worry!!!!

#155 4 years ago
Quoted from Mrtattooz:

Bro don't let these haters get to you. I've noticed a couple things being a pinball collector over the past 5 years. You have 2 types of people. Those who are really cool and those who are very arrogant and talk crap!!! I love you're mods and there isn't a damn thing wrong with you making them regardless of the haters. They don't understand supply and demand at all. I wouldn't even give these haters a response at all!!! Just keep right on doing what you're doing, because if people aren't talking about you good or bad then that's when you should worry!!!!

I agree.

People will buy stuff if it is priced right, is of good quality, meets their need, there is good customer service, and most importantly, is available for purchase and delivery.

Buyers benefit by having choices. Sellers benefit by having the best product and customer service.

#156 4 years ago
Quoted from Mrtattooz:

Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

Btw, you were downvoted from an account that has made no forum posts and has nothing in their profile. Nothing like a fake account.

#157 4 years ago

For anyone who didn't get a tracking number yet you should have one in the next day or two. We are shipping out the last batch of initial orders.

If you ordered within the last few weeks we are working on the next batch now. Should be out next week.

I'll be watching this thread for any issues/feedback with the orders sent. No matter how much testing and prototyping we do I am sure there will be questions.

I was hoping to shoot the new instal video on a GoPro with a mic but mic adapter isn't working so I'll be finishing it on my phone or doing voiceover. Trying to get it posted tonight for those who are getting their mods already.

#158 4 years ago

Installation Instructions for the Flaming Witch Mod by The Pinball Mod Co
More Information: https://pinballmods.co/pinball-mods/wizard-oz-pinball-flaming-wicked-witch-mod-with-realistic-fire

Step 1: Removing the witch

Step 2: Install the base and flame assembly

Step 3: Swap the witch

Added over 4 years ago:

Step 4: Controller Install

Added over 4 years ago:

More Information: https://pinballmods.co/pinball-mods/wizard-oz-pinball-flaming-wicked-witch-mod-with-realistic-fire
Installation Instructions (on our site): https://pinballmods.co/flaming-witch-mod-installation

BE CAREFUL WITH THE NEW WITCH!
She is fragile. She has very fine detail elements which can easily be broken.
Only use gentile pressure and avoid touching any of the thin areas (hat, fingers, etc).

Introduction: The Controller & Testing

Only use gentile pressure and avoid touching any of the thin areas (hat, fingers, etc).

Step 5: Alignment

#159 4 years ago

All orders that did not have a crystal ball on them have shipped. We are working on the next revision on the CB, I think we're just about there so we should be able to ship soon. If you did not have a CB and did not get a tracking number yet feel free to PM me and we'll see what is up. According to our order management system all have been marked as shipped with tracking.

Any new orders in the last week or so will be shipped out next week and then we'll be able to ship out new orders fairly quickly, 1-2 weeks likely the most wait depending on the colors we might not have available, etc.

Thanks everyone! I am finishing up the last 2 videos and will post them ASAP. Feel free to watch my videos at 2x speed if you want to skim by my meandering thoughts and attempts at comedy. Questions feel free to post or PM. Issues we'll take care of them ASAP.

Once we get a prototype witch with hand and eye lighting I'll post. Also editing a product video with flame colors, light colors and in-action video.

#160 4 years ago

Care to expand on the future WOZ mods in the video?

#161 4 years ago

Nope

That was all the expanding for now. Very soon!

#162 4 years ago

Thanks, appreciate the feedback.
Btw, you were downvoted from an account that has made no forum posts and has nothing in their profile. Nothing like a fake account.

A downvote from dingleberry is like a hallmark card...when you care enough to send the very best. If you haven't felt the tingle from a downvote from dingle, you haven't lived.

He's usually spot (or smudge, or smear, or stain) on.

#163 4 years ago

So I think I figured out what we would like to do for everyone who ordered the witch. I can actually provide some options as one requires money out of your pocket and the other two are without cost (except maybe shipping).

- First place in line for any mod coming out (Crystal Ball, Throne Room or Munchkin Hut) with a discount on the mod price
OR
- First place and no charge for a mod we haven't released yet. Don't tell anyone, it's a replacement start button themed to the game. I have a prototype here, we're making another version and might offer both if they work well. Might just charge for shipping to just cover costs on that.
OR
- Free flickering flame mod for the state fair balloon (which we have in stock and already made)

We'll figure out the details and I'll send everyone an email who purchased the Witch Mod up until this weekend (so if you want to buy the witch and get in on this you can have a few days to get in on this). I'll try and make preference for the order you purchased the witch, so the earlier you ordered the witch the earlier you can have either one of the above.

If you have any feedback on this feel free to let me know. No need to contact me about your preference or whatever now, I'll set up an automated process for you to choose or send out coupons for the item you are interested in. We'll figure something easy for everyone.

#164 4 years ago

Installation Instructions (on our site): https://pinballmods.co/flaming-witch-mod-installation

Introduction: The Controller & Testing

Step 5: Alignment

Step 6 (REPEATING) Introduction: The Controller & Testing

1 week later
#165 4 years ago

Does anyone have an extra support for the witch they don't want? One I got was defective and don't want to change my original. Thanks.

#166 4 years ago

Gouveia is making a crystal ball mod and I don’t see you blowing up his thread with copyright disappointment. Ya’ll need to stop discouraging people from making things for these games. You see what we have here are choices and that drives competition and innovation. My wife bought me the Mezel mod throne room lamps for Xmas and although I really like the PMC version I am happy with what I have. I just received and installed the OZ lanes the other day and love them. If PMC decided to try and make one and add a laser to it I would pass. Now if someone redid the castle walls somehow to look like a real freaking castle you can bet I’m in. Capitalism wins the day.

#167 4 years ago
Quoted from Kevinjo17:

Does anyone have an extra support for the witch they don't want? One I got was defective and don't want to change my original. Thanks.

I can send you another. Was it the one with the holes that were off?

#168 4 years ago

I can send you another. Was it the one with the holes that were off?

Ya but nevermind, wife drilled out the holes and got it to work. Thanks anyways.

#169 4 years ago
Quoted from Kevinjo17:

Ya but nevermind, wife drilled out the holes and got it to work. Thanks anyways.

Awesome!

#170 4 years ago

So for anyone who is having an issue adjusting switches we are working on an opto replacement for those. So if you were in the first few batches of orders who have mechanical switches and want a replacement kit for optos just send me a PM.

#171 4 years ago

A look at the new opto switch layout (early version shown, just a test on the layout). Adjustable position so you can slide it as needed. Putting them together to send out.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#172 4 years ago
Quoted from Dashmonster:

Gouveia is making a crystal ball mod and I don’t see you blowing up his thread with copyright disappointment. Ya’ll need to stop discouraging people from making things for these games. You see what we have here are choices and that drives competition and innovation. My wife bought me the Mezel mod throne room lamps for Xmas and although I really like the PMC version I am happy with what I have. I just received and installed the OZ lanes the other day and love them. If PMC decided to try and make one and add a laser to it I would pass. Now if someone redid the castle walls somehow to look like a real freaking castle you can bet I’m in. Capitalism wins the day.

Ha, I was waiting for someone to mention the other crystal ball being made. Seems a bit hypocritical of him to complain like that when PMC came out with his own witch and then do the same thing a few months later haha.

I agree, competition and options are a good thing..

#173 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Ha, I was waiting for someone to mention the other crystal ball being made. Seems a bit hypocritical of him to complain like that when PMC came out with his own witch and then do the same thing a few months later haha.
I agree, competition and options are a good thing..

If you guys don't know all the facts and history of events between these two gentlemen, then you probably shouldn't judge or offer an opinion.

#174 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

If you guys don't know all the facts and history of events between these two gentlemen, then you probably shouldn't judge or offer an opinion.

Lol, Thanks but I will share my opinion when I want to. If what I am saying is incorrect, feel free to correct me.

It was pretty public on the forums of what was happening earlier, so please fill us in if what we had said is incorrect?

#175 4 years ago

. The witch is modeled after the movie, with a menacing look and an actual wooden broom in her hand. All pieces were hand designed by a talented 3D artist who has sculpted each element individually.

When will you post a pic of the new Witch holding the broom?

#176 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Lol, Thanks but I will share my opinion when I want to. If what I am saying is incorrect, feel free to correct me.
It was pretty public on the forums of what was happening earlier, so please fill us in if what we had said is incorrect?

Thanks for making my point. There was a ton of stuff going on in the background and before any of the forum posts that you don't know about. And since it's not really my business, either, I'll just let it go at that. But feel free to continue posting your uninformed opinions. There's a lot of that going on around here, so you fit right in.

#177 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Thanks for making my point. There was a ton of stuff going on in the background and before any of the forum posts that you don't know about. And since it's not really my business, either, I'll just let it go at that. But feel free to continue posting your uninformed opinions. There's a lot of that going on around here, so you fit right in.

The situation is the same regardless of any background. And it simple.. one got mad that someone else offered a product that they made in the past (although he was not even making them for years), and then he did the same thing that he was mad about, when other mod maker came out with his product.

Regardless of the background, thats the situation.

#178 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

When will you post a pic of the new Witch holding the broom?

I need to do some actual pics and video of the finished witch, but got side tracked with the opto change. I am heading out of town to do some test fitting on a R&M and when I get back we'll work on that. Our designers are busy with new WOZ and R&M mods but I'll get this shuffled in. We need to make a few changes to suit the layout changes we made with the sillyoldelf witch and test. Shouldn't be too much work.

#179 4 years ago

Man, shit is going to really hit the fan when I list my personal Gouveia mods for sale.

#180 4 years ago

Hello, I am confused, I received your witch mod a month ago, still have to install it as my WOZ is having other troubles, did you change your design in the meantime? Etienne

#181 4 years ago

I'm swapping out micro switches for optos for anyone who wants it. Just seems more practical after taking to a few owners. It's not necessary, many people are running it as is.

#182 4 years ago

I'm swapping out micro switches for optos for anyone who wants it. Just seems more practical after taking to a few owners. It's not necessary, many people are running it as is.

Are you including optos on future witch shipments as well?

#183 4 years ago
Quoted from Hoss_Coog:

Are you including optos on future witch shipments as well?

Yup!

#184 4 years ago

Thanks for your reply, when you say more practical do you mean more robust or easier to install?

#185 4 years ago
Quoted from etien:

Thanks for your reply, when you say more practical do you mean more robust or easier to install?

More or less. The switches required a finer level of adjustment. The optos only need to have the rod break the beam.

#186 4 years ago

Ok, switch upgrade kits are ready. It's as simple as snipping off the old switches and clipping in the new ones (comes with quick connectors). I'm working on a video to show the upgrade and then another video to replace the original install videos.

One nice thing is these optos have a light when they are closed (blocked) so you can easily tell when you align them. They have slot adjustments for enough left to right movement that should handle everyone (they are off-center on the PCB so you can swap the PCB around if you need movement the other way). Nylon lock nuts and hex head screws. The optos are also modular (they have a socket for connection) so if they ever need to be replaced you can simply plug the new one in and they are a fairly ubiquitous part.

Best of all, I don't think there are any programming updates. I am working on a device that I can send to people to update code on any of our mods so that makes it a bit easier but in this case they appear to be a direct swap.

#187 4 years ago

Here is the upgrade video for the switches

#188 4 years ago
2889BAFE-B122-49D7-A848-BE6A830B22D1 (resized).jpeg2889BAFE-B122-49D7-A848-BE6A830B22D1 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#189 4 years ago

FYI any pending witch orders are going to have to be on hold for a few weeks. We can't get parts in right now so we've sourced them elsewhere but they take much longer to get to us.

#190 4 years ago

As long as we are delayed we are working on the two things that have been requested. The alternate witch is being adjusted to fit the last tweaks we made to the sillyoldelf one (fit and layout mainly) and then we are adding the tubes to run the wires for lighting on the hands and eyes. I'm thinking we can do an upgrade program for anyone who has the base witch and wants the lights. Trade the old one in or something.

#191 4 years ago

Here is alt witch. Printing now to test fit.

#192 3 years ago

First print, got a few changes to make but I know some people were waiting for this.

Holes in the eyes for lighting, which is optional on both witches as soon as we get that sorted. Controllers are all ready for the lighting, witches can easily be replaced if you already have one we'll do an upgrade promo.

#193 3 years ago

I think we're ditching the real broom. Too labor intensive and I don't think it makes it that much better. How many of these am I making guys? I'm thinking this one will only be made with lights in the eyes, no other options.

I'll have one painted this week probably.

#194 3 years ago

You can see the veins

2 weeks later
#195 3 years ago
0418201858 (resized).jpg0418201858 (resized).jpg
#196 3 years ago
#197 3 years ago
#198 3 years ago

I suppose it would go the other way, green eyes and red hands. The original witch (not sillyoldelf) only has room for lights in eyes since she is holding a broom.

Will be adding them to the site for order soon.

3 months later
#199 3 years ago

Hey there, how's the progress coming? Looking forward to a witch with light up hands/eyes

#200 3 years ago
Quoted from DanielJDougherty:

Hey there, how's the progress coming? Looking forward to a witch with light up hands/eyes

Witch Mod 2.0 will be out shortly with the lit options, two witch options and some other minor updates. Throne Room and special surprise should be ready next week, then witch 2.0.

There are 232 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-woz-flaming-witch-with-realistic-fire-mod-development/page/4?hl=danieljdougherty and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.