pasted_image (resized).png
0418201858 (resized).jpg
2889BAFE-B122-49D7-A848-BE6A830B22D1 (resized).jpeg
There are 232 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 4 years ago

As someone who has purchased both of Steve's witch and monkey mod I don't see an issue with this mod at all....yes it has a similar look, but its actually quite different. Plus from what I understood Steve wasn't making anymore Monkey's or Witches (maybe thats changed?) so giving owners this option is a great thing....at the end of the day I like it....

#102 4 years ago
whichwich_storefront (resized).jpgwhichwich_storefront (resized).jpg
#103 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Testing out the YBR finish. Not quite as yellow as I think it needs to be, but I don't have access to a YBR so I'm gonna have to send one out to someone to test.[quoted image]

This is all I see

5150593-ssj goku (resized).jpg5150593-ssj goku (resized).jpg74c826eb2c7da9d2a49a40f3fb11b0f93af59dfd (resized).jpg74c826eb2c7da9d2a49a40f3fb11b0f93af59dfd (resized).jpg
#104 4 years ago
ComposedBleakIndusriverdolphin-size_restricted.gifComposedBleakIndusriverdolphin-size_restricted.gif
#105 4 years ago

I've done the research on the fireball integration and the lighted hands/eyes and looks like it's not a problem. I have most of the supplies already but am going to look at that after we are shipping consistently.

I'll take some good pics of the finished version installed. I haven't painted a finished one yet, only a bunch of prototypes, so I'll get that done and take some pics.

The red flame will be printed in red and detailed with air brush, similar to the white smoke one. I will get those painted and pictured as well.

#106 4 years ago

Video too. Show the modes.

#107 4 years ago

Yup, for sure. Been tweaking the lighting effects, LED layout, etc. We have about 10 controllers built and should have around 10 fully printed this week so we're a bit behind on the first shipment but should be able to catch up as we're ahead in the printing.

#108 4 years ago

Here's a view of the entire final design. Not the final quality or finish, just the overall model design. The witch has had a lot of time spent on her for ease of adding lights, rotating her head towards the player, enlarging her and working on fit. A new bracket comes with the witch along with screws to change up the space usage. The hat is integrated now, as well, so no separate pieces.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#109 4 years ago

Here's a quick video of me testing diffusion and light layout. This isn't fully inserted into the flame housing. It's about as good as it is going to get for having such a small place to embed LEDs. It looks pretty darn good in the almost clear flames. All of the flames will have some finish on them so it will be even more diffused.

#110 4 years ago

Here's the "quick witch" mounting system. These little posts go on the screws that the original witch tube mounted to. They are 8-32 threaded and designed with a tapered press fit with a hex head. The base and flames just press down on to these and they hold the whole thing in place. No visible screws, no mechanical fasteners needed. To remove the whole thing you just unplug the lighting (one plug under the playfield) and lift the whole thing up.

#111 4 years ago

You did a great job emulating fire.

Looks much better than the expected blinking bulbs.

#112 4 years ago

Emails are going out to those in the first few batches asking for your 2nd flame option. If you didn't get an email and were in on the pre-order early, you can PM me and I will look to make sure I didn't miss you.

#113 4 years ago

Getting ready for hair and makeup

#114 4 years ago

Very cool!

#115 4 years ago

Ready to get her clear coat.

Would anyone have an issue delaying a week or so? I was talking with the printer who is doing the witches in resin and he saw the flames and said he would like to take a stab at producing them and would give a really good deal. It's more costly which is why it wasn't part of the original plan but it might be a cooler look as with the liquid resin we can control opacity and refraction a bit more. It would have been another $30-40 just to get the flames done this way but he's local and able to beat the online production places. I'd eat the cost, just need time for him to print and get the resin in stock. I am waiting for a prototype print and will post it if you want to judge that way.

I just realized, after someone mentioned, that this pic is pretty crappy quality. I'll take one with my DSLR once the clear dries. Still using my old crappy cell phone camera. 3 years still going strong.

#116 4 years ago

Here are the "movie red" flames, at least how they look right now depending on the different printing process. Again, crappy cell phone pic. I think they will get a small amount of air brushing to highlight the flames and shadows a bit. The lights look really good in them.

#117 4 years ago

SoO the advertisement says witch with a real wooden broom and the original pic with the shadow silhouette looked like the Hallmark ornament. But this new version looks like the stock witch, just a 1080 version vs 480. Will the flame part still allow other witch mods to be used on it? I'd be interested in ordering without the witch if so.

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from tronlover:

SoO the advertisement says witch with a real wooden broom and the original pic with the shadow silhouette looked like the Hallmark ornament. But this new version looks like the stock witch, just a 1080 version vs 480. Will the flame part still allow other witch mods to be used on it? I'd be interested in ordering without the witch if so.

Stock witch looks like shit.

This is the SillyOldElf one.

#119 4 years ago

Sorry for the confusion. We created a witch that was pretty close to done, then I heard back from sillyoldelf and I was really partial to his but I thought he was no longer around. Here is an image of the first painted version we have of his witch. This was painted by us, in-house. A professional model painter is doing the rest of them which should be even better.

Here is an early render of the witch we had created. I was waiting for a better version but wanted to reply. I'll post it when I get it. I suppose we could offer this one as well, if people wanted a different look. It would be much later as we would have to finish refining it, test prints, etc. In her left right would be a real wood broom stick with real bristles. My issue with this early one was that her features were not exaggerated enough so we were working on a longer, narrower chin and a bit more evil look.

I suppose if you want no witch we could do that as well, just send me a PM.

#120 4 years ago

Oh, a few more updates. Got a better clear coat that is much flatter so that's good to go. Also got the resin flames... not better. They actually end up losing detail when printed that way, oddly, and they are rubbery because the walls are so thin. The FDM version (the originals I have printed) are actually much better at diffusing light and have way more detail. So, experiment done. We're working away painting witches and detailing the bases and flames. Witches are in resin, much better for figures/minatures, but flames and base in PLA+. Lots of hand sanding, hand painting and 3 coats of matte clear.

Resin on the right. Feels like a cheap toy.

#121 4 years ago

I added a little bonus to the mod. It took a bit of extra time so I apologize for the delay, but I think it will be worth it. The lighting effects now have hit detection. There is now an added sensor connection which will animate the flame lights each time you hit the witch and will use a different effect if she is down versus raised.

I also have been taking some time to figure out how to handle the fireball frenzy detection. It's not part of this release but I wanted to make this a bit upgradable so we're adding in extra connections so when the time comes you can add on the lighted witch eyes/hands with the FF detection to make those effects work. If I didn't add the connectors now you would have to swap out controllers (or do soldering) which isn't ideal. Another $5 in connections now will save hassle in the future.

I'm still working on the lighting effects. In the background we're continuing to produce and finish the mods. We almost have enough flames, bases and witches to cover the first 3 batches. The consensus on the 2nd flame shield for the pre-orders seems to be the flame red so we're focusing on producing a bunch of those so everyone can be shipped their extra flame with the mod. I'll have a ton of time this week to dedicate with the holiday so expect a video of the full operation soon.

#122 4 years ago

I added a little bonus to the mod. It took a bit of extra time so I apologize for the delay, but I think it will be worth it. The lighting effects now have hit detection. There is now an added sensor connection which will animate the flame lights each time you hit the witch and will use a different effect if she is down versus raised.
I also have been taking some time to figure out how to handle the fireball frenzy detection. It's not part of this release but I wanted to make this a bit upgradable so we're adding in extra connections so when the time comes you can add on the lighted witch eyes/hands with the FF detection to make those effects work. If I didn't add the connectors now you would have to swap out controllers (or do soldering) which isn't ideal. Another $5 in connections now will save hassle in the future.
I'm still working on the lighting effects. In the background we're continuing to produce and finish the mods. We almost have enough flames, bases and witches to cover the first 3 batches. The consensus on the 2nd flame shield for the pre-orders seems to be the flame red so we're focusing on producing a bunch of those so everyone can be shipped their extra flame with the mod. I'll have a ton of time this week to dedicate with the holiday so expect a video of the full operation soon.

Do you have an ETA for when the hands and eyes witch will begin to be sold? I'd rather buy like that than upgrade.

#123 4 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Do you have an ETA for when the hands and eyes witch will begin to be sold? I'd rather buy like that than upgrade.

If there are no complications with it, I have all of the parts here. I want to modify the witch a bit more to make it easier to install the bulbs. I already created tunnels for the wires but I'm going to make a version of the witch with holes already made for the lights. I'd guess maybe a month or so. Trying to finish up the last details for the first set of orders.

#124 4 years ago

Quick update, while working on the lighting code over the weekend I found an issue with detecting switch change states. I am using voltage change detection and it was working fine, so I thought. What I've determined is the voltages aren't consistent enough to hard code the values to compare against. For example, the voltage change of a Witch switch opto is around 300 mV but the starting voltages started to fluctuate with in my change tolerance which started leading to inconsistent switch change detection. This is mostly an issue for the hit detection which requires an instant reading versus the optos which I can poll over time to determine a change. I went back and re-wrote some of the code so now there is a baseline detection. When the game turns on I take a series of readings from all of the switches and store an average as a baseline. I've then set some threshold percentages that each switch must bypass for a set number of cycles (more for the optos less for the hit) for the change to be counted. This has been a lot more reliable and I think will create some leeway for variances in each game. I have no idea how much this will vary, if someone wants to test this on their machine to gather some data I can send you a quick video. You need a DMM and some needle probes or some breadboard wires or something to shove in the small 4 pin connectors for the optos. You just want to test the change in voltage on the white or green wire in either of the witch opto sensors from open to closed. I'm sending out a controller to another pinsider to confirm the detection changes are consistent on their machine as well.

If there is an issue with this down the line the controller can be updated with new code to fix any issues. I have been reviewing the code again and again to try and prevent any code updates. While I've been working on this we've been producing and finishing flames, witches and bases. We almost have enough to cover all of the pre-orders now. There is a new metal bracket to attach the witch to, which are all done along with fastening hardware. Each flame is getting fitted to the base and tweaked as needed for good tight fit and easy removal. We're working on the lighting arrays right now, making enough to cover all of those orders as well.

Here's a view of the raw controller, wiring harnesses and such. This is a prototype one, the final versions are packaged neatly and will come ready to mount inside the game, nice and tidy. Shown are power connectors, a buck board for lowering the input voltage, outputs to the LED array and inputs for the switch detection. Also included is the wiring needed for the future witch lighting.

2 weeks later
#125 4 years ago

I'm gonna have to recant that statement, can't do bash detection at this time. There is a whole slew of technical challenges and I'm going to work on them but I don't want to hold it up. A few mods are going out to a few pinsiders who have agreed to test everything before we send out the whole batch. Expect an email if you were in the pre-sale and I didn't get your 2nd flame option yet.

#127 4 years ago

Is there any chance of a flying monkey mod coming soon?

#128 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

ouch!!!!!

#129 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I mean, I guess maybe... I wasn't planning on it but the mod I bought broke so maybe I'll have to make my own.

1 week later
#130 4 years ago

A flying monkey mod of would be great as the competitor one is out of sales at the moment

#131 4 years ago

I've had a bunch of people ask about that. Mine also broke so I'm gonna have to make something for my own game. I have a few ideas on how I'd want to do it so once we're caught up on the witches and some of the other mods we have going for WOZ I'll get some monkey ideas modeled. We have a monkey created already that is on the Crystal Ball base so adapting that shouldn't be a problem.

#132 4 years ago
20191231_165927 (resized).jpg20191231_165927 (resized).jpg
#133 4 years ago

Witch control box, custom designed. Mounts neatly under the playfield, unobtrusive, not permanent. Extra wiring already included for future upgrades (lighted witch, hit detection). Full control with 4 button keypad to set fine adjustment to your preference. Exposed mini USB port for any software updates.

Lighting array has 57 individual hand soldered connections and about 15 unique wire lengths. 31 individually addressable RGB WS2812B LEDs sandwiched between an ultra thin backing plastic and a custom printed diffraction shield. 4 of those are individual LED pixels on individual circuit boards which get arranged under the front flames for lighting throughout. Each connection reinforced with hot melt glue. With this arrangement the lighting array easily goes in and out of the flames so swapping is done without much fuss. All lighting shields will be installed within your primary flame color (what you ordered). If anyone who has a 2nd flame coming would like a 2nd set of lights PM me and I can figure out a cost. I think we spent about 2 weeks solid just producing the lighting arrays. My original concept, which I posted videos of, had a single string of lights which we didn't have to solder but it didn't provide the robustness nor the flexibility I wanted to have for an evenly dispersed light array. No shortcuts were taken.

Flames have all been hand sanded and painted with most needing 3 different colors of paint (adds up to about 5 coats) to give the depth and dimension (matching the powder coat for ECLE, YBR and RR) and then 3 coats of triple thick clear coat (which, in essence, is about the thickness of 9 coats of clear). 9 individually designed and printed parts make up the entire witch assembly. New stainless steel witch brackets have been produced to fit this specific arrangement. No splicing, cutting or wiring hassles, plug and play.

Witches have been throughly customized from the original SillyOldElf custom design with integrated hat. Witch has been rotated 15 degrees to face the player more with better visibility of face. Thickness has been added to any thinner areas for added robustness and for more dimension. SLA printed with a high strength UV cured resin. 8 different colors have been hand painted on each witch with custom mixed acrylic colors and 2 coats of an absolutely flat clear coat (I tested 6 different clears).

Each complete mod takes around 24 hours of print time.

Coming soon to a mailbox near you, shipping notifications will be automatically sent from the store (or Pinside orders will get them manually inputted, but you'll get notified either way). Installation video being shot and edited and then will follow up with a product demo video.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#134 4 years ago

Something wicked is inside

#135 4 years ago

Does that control box come with the mod when purchased?

Also, not sure if I missed it, but can the LED's within the flames be color controlled? For example, if I went with the smokey clear but wanted it to light red when lit up?

I assume that if I went with a painted version other than clear, it will light up the same color. Green will be green, red will light red....

#136 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Does that control box come with the mod when purchased?
Also, not sure if I missed it, but can the LED's within the flames be color controlled? For example, if I went with the smokey clear but wanted it to light red when lit up?
I assume that if I went with a painted version other than clear, it will light up the same color. Green will be green, red will light red....

Yup, the entire kit, plug and play, comes together. Lighting, flame, base, witch, control box, all connectors, etc.

The LEDs have brightness, color, speed and effect controls. No matter which flame you purchase you can choose whatever color lighting you want. They are pallets of colors (since the flames are a mix of colors). For example, red/orange/yellow is one combination. There is a more reddish one, a green, yellow, etc. Several pallets you can cycle through.

#137 4 years ago

whats finished product cost?

#138 4 years ago
Quoted from etien:

A flying monkey mod of would be great as the competitor one is out of sales at the moment

/\ This

#139 4 years ago

Yup, the entire kit, plug and play, comes together. Lighting, flame, base, witch, control box, all connectors, etc.
The LEDs have brightness, color, speed and effect controls. No matter which flame you purchase you can choose whatever color lighting you want. They are pallets of colors (since the flames are a mix of colors). For example, red/orange/yellow is one combination. There is a more reddish one, a green, yellow, etc. Several pallets you can cycle through.

Would you be able to share some videos of the different flame colors with different LED colors running through them. I am having a hard time understanding how something like a "green" flame can produce any other color than green when lit up.

Sorry if thats dumb or perhaps im not understanding fully.

To better explain, I have a green edition WOZ. Now, I think it would be cool to have the flames be emerald green when there are no lights lit up, but turn red when the lights light. That doesnt seem possible obviously.

#140 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Would you be able to share some videos of the different flame colors with different LED colors running through them. I am having a hard time understanding how something like a "green" flame can produce any other color than green when lit up.
Sorry if thats dumb or perhaps im not understanding fully.
To better explain, I have a green edition WOZ. Now, I think it would be cool to have the flames be emerald green when there are no lights lit up, but turn red when the lights light. That doesnt seem possible obviously.

Working on videos, trying to get as many shipped for folks who have been waiting a long time.

Choosing red flame lights inside a green flame shield would produce a sort of reddish light, behind the green. The flames are all semi-transparent so you can see the color of the light through the shield but obviously whatever color the shield is printed in will always be somewhat visible. I'll get all the color combinations posted, lit up with different lights.

#141 4 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

whats finished product cost?

Currently $265: https://pinballmods.co/pinball-mods/wizard-oz-pinball-flaming-wicked-witch-mod-with-realistic-fire

We are talking over some concepts. I think we have some ideas which would make a great mod.

#142 4 years ago

Working on videos, trying to get as many shipped for folks who have been waiting a long time.
Choosing red flame lights inside a green flame shield would produce a sort of reddish light, behind the green. The flames are all semi-transparent so you can see the color of the light through the shield but obviously whatever color the shield is printed in will always be somewhat visible. I'll get all the color combinations posted, lit up with different lights.

Great! I look forward to seeing that...

#143 4 years ago

If you got in on the pre-order and haven't selected your 2nd flame we've emailed or messaged you. Make sure you check email and spam folders.

#144 4 years ago

Witch Mod introduction video

#145 4 years ago
#146 4 years ago

video of the different colored ones in action soon?

#147 4 years ago

Yup. Install video first, then product demo video.

#148 4 years ago

Not sure how good this came out but a look at some of the flame pallets. When it cycles around it double flashes so you know it is starting over. I'm cycling through some of them by pressing the button on the controller. This is the lighting array outside the flames, much more diffused inside the flames

#149 4 years ago

Looking good !

a more realistic flame pattern would have the flickering light at the top of the fire rather than at the bottom ,just a suggestion to try if you are tweaking the leds.

Once it is all together probably any led pattern will look really good!

#150 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

Looking good !
a more realistic flame pattern would have the flickering light at the top of the fire rather than at the bottom ,just a suggestion to try if you are tweaking the leds.
Once it is all together probably any led pattern will look really good!

Yeah, I played around with this a lot trying to get a good pattern with the odd layout of the lights. The nice thing is that I can modify code later if there are improvements that can be made and release it for people to update. We did that with the POTC chest mod. Not ideal, but it's not entirely out of the realm of most people being able to do on their own. Some sent them back to us and we programmed them for the customer.

You can also change speeds and effect intensity which will have some change to the flickering.

There are 232 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-woz-flaming-witch-with-realistic-fire-mod-development/page/3?hl=pinballjj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.