• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by bobukcat
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hi,

I guess I know about almost all features of the game now, it is really pleasant.

Only, in the Dorothy capture phase (when arrow blinks yellow), the ball is often sent to the top of the PF by the left lane, either by bumpers, or directly from the lower right flipper bat. And often the shot is not strong enough to reach the magnet after it had rolled over the contact which triggers the winged monkey "lift". The ball goes back down to the playfield. But the winged monkey goes down, captures nothing and goes back to the castle without ball. Dorothy is considered as captured, but in fact no ball was brought up to the castle. Is it a workaround to avoid that, when the winged monkeys goes back up empty, the Dorothy capture mode is not activated ?

Thanks for your experience

#2 7 years ago

I'm pretty sure the machine thinks it's captured and would just kick a ball out of trough instead of castle area when Dorothy multi ball starts. This is pretty common.

#3 7 years ago

It is the way the game is programmed to operate.

#4 7 years ago

I assume so. The switch is triggered to say the shot was hit, so ball captured. It's just that once in a while the ball doesn't fully make it within magnets range. It's rare, but does happen. Game still awards the locked ball, it's just not a physical lock at that point. That's just how I look at it when playing mine. Doesn't affect gameplay, so it's ok in my book.

#5 7 years ago

I don't know if this applies to your game or not. If you understand how to access diagnostics, see if the monkey sensor is operating correctly.

#6 7 years ago

Thank you all, I ll check if a Monkey test can be done. For the rest, I understand it is normal and does not affect the game. On my game, the ball often goes up via the left lane and does no reach the pf magnet. So I see the Monkey lift moving for nothing, it is strange. thanks again

#7 7 years ago

On my game if its a failed monkey capture, the monkey will activate but not go all the way to the top.
It will go up a bit then go back down.

#8 7 years ago

After one of the software updates, I started getting a diagnostic code that referred to the monkey sensor. I'll try to explain the sensor so how it may apply to your situation. My understanding of the sensor is that is that it is part of the magnetic coil. There is no individual switch or sensor. It is simple software recognizing a magnetic "event". After the software update, for some reason, my game had a problem with the (I hope I'm using the proper term) polarity of that sensor. I was instructed to remove and flip the magnetic coil. This cleared that code and the monkey sensor returned to a proper operation.

I'm not suggesting that you do the same but my experience may be similar to what you are seeing. IOW, I was seeing a lot of missed "captures" and I believe that sensor code was part of it.

#9 7 years ago

The Monkey Magnet sensor is a separate sensor mounted on the backboard near the base of monkey mech, it's purpose is to detect when a ball is actually captured by the Playfield magnet. It does this by sensing a larger magnetic field when the ball is on the magnet. It is very common that this sensor needs to be adjusted or moved to make it more accurate with regards to sending the Monkey down to get the ball. In other words, when all is working as designed a weak shot that triggers the magnet (via rollover switches in the loop) but does not get captured by the magnet on the PF will not trigger the Monkey to travel down and it will NOT award a lock. The code obviously compensates for when it's not working properly by awarding the lock even though no ball gets deposited in the castle. There is a specific test in the menu (Page B-18 of the manual) for this sensor and if you run those tests with a ball you can move the sensor around until you find a spot that is more reliably accurate. A few things to remember; you may have to move it pretty far and there is a lot of stuff (monkey mech) in the way back there, don't let the magnet stay energized too long as it can get quite hot and finally patience is a virtue - mine was not easy to find a good spot and the first couple tries worked for a while and then I had to move it again. Since the last time though it works very well and I very rarely have any false captures.

Here's a pretty good video someone did for this and is shows the sensor, etc.:

#10 7 years ago

Great comments and video !

Regarding the video, just for me to be certain, the ball passes over the magnet before it is "called back". The sensor is activated at the time the ball passes on the magnet. Mine passes the left orbit rollover switch on the pf, but does not reach the magnet, it stops after rolling over the switch. I guess that the sensor is not activated and nothing can be done as said above. thanks for sharing the vid.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from BagAJellyDonuts:

... There is no individual switch or sensor. It is simple software recognizing a magnetic "event"...

In my situation, the ball passes the rollover switch at the exit of the left orbit, at that time the Monkey is activated. It has not reached the magnet, and will not. Yes it would be good if the Monkey started to go down at the time the ball is captured by the magnet, but in fact it does not happen that way on mine. thanks for your post anyway

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Great comments and video !
Regarding the video, just for me to be certain, the ball passes over the magnet before it is "called back". The sensor is activated at the time the ball passes on the magnet. Mine passes the left orbit rollover switch on the pf, but does not reach the magnet, it stops after rolling over the switch. I guess that the sensor is not activated and nothing can be done as said above. thanks for sharing the vid.

The video is helpful but I found it to also be confusing for a couple reasons - the biggest is that you can't see the ball and the screen at the same time to know when sensor should be active. However the overall problem is that the PF magnet itself triggers the ball sensor so it always thinks a ball has been captured when it turns on - this is exactly what my game did when I got it. The first thing you need to do is go into the test and see how much the sensor needs to be moved before the magnet no longer triggers it, then start fine tuning it back toward the magnet until you find the sweet spot / orientation. Remember to not let the magnet get too hot, to let it cool down completely and retest once you think you have the sweet spot established, and then to test again when you put the PF back down in the game. I used some thick double sided tape to temporarily position the sensor when testing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 91.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-winged-monkey-moves-when-no-ball-on-the-magnet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.