Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by JerryB
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Considering getting a Wizard of Oz after four years of waiting. But I have a question for someone who owns (or has owned in the past) one.

My basement door width is a few millimeters over 29". The Jersey Jack website says the game is 29" wide. I currently own a Data East Royal Rumble, and I got it through the doorway no problem. Will I be able to get WoZ down there? I know both games are wide bodies, but when I measure RR, the widest point is 27".

Any/all help would be greatly appreciated. Would hate to get this bad boy home only to find out it won't fit through my door!

#2 6 years ago

If you can fit a stern/de/sega or bw, you can fit woz. Head size is not any different for widebody or standard.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

If you can fit a stern/de/sega or bw, you can fit woz. Head size is not any different for widebody or standard.

That is not true. I have WOZ and some Stern games sitting right here and I broke out the tape measure. WOZ head is 28.75". That is about one inch wider than Stern's older wooden head and current metal head.

Quoted from dirtbag66:

My basement door width is a few millimeters over 29".

I think you are going to have a hard time moving WOZ through that door. I would consider taking the head off and moving the pin in pieces.

#4 6 years ago

I think I read a while back someone else unbolted the hinges for the backbox, left the wires connected, turned the head 90 degrees, and moved the game in using a lift cart. That's probably a two-person job, though.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I think I read a while back someone else unbolted the hinges for the backbox, left the wires connected, turned the head 90 degrees, and moved the game in using a lift cart. That's probably a two-person job, though.

I used to do exactly that -- but without a lift cart.. just sliding it along with the head strapped at 90 degrees. A little nerve racking but it works fine

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

I used to do exactly that -- but without a lift cart.. just sliding it along with the head strapped at 90 degrees. A little nerve racking but it works fine

I've had to do this once also, just grabbed a friend to hold the head steady while we passed through the door. No issues at all.

#7 6 years ago

Just remove the whole back box - there's no reason at all you need to leave it connected; that is dangerous!

I have the same problem - I move all widebody games into my door by turning them sideways, but I usually have to remove the backbox. TZ was a nightmare.

But JJP games and (I assume?) most modern Stern games have a very easily removable backbox. Just unbolt it, unhinge it, remove the what... 4? connectors and move the guy. I moved a WOZ in and out of my basement by myself by doing this. Just be careful, my god it is heavy.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from oohlou:

That is not true. I have WOZ and some Stern games sitting right here and I broke out the tape measure. WOZ head is 28.75". That is about one inch wider than Stern's older wooden head and current metal head.

I think you are going to have a hard time moving WOZ through that door. I would consider taking the head off and moving the pin in pieces.

My mistake, Stern is narrower, but woz is the same as bw, 28.75. it will fit, but will be tight with just 1/8" on each side.

#9 6 years ago

Can't you just turn the game sideways?

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

it will fit, but will be tight with just 1/8" on each side.

Break out the lube!

#11 6 years ago

I can tell you it would not fit through a 30" exterior door without the door and all hardware removed. The biggest problem is the WOZ is A LOT heavier than my other pins, and it is hard to shift around in a tight squeeze. At a quarter inch of clearance, you are risking a lot. I would take the head off as others have suggested.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

I can tell you it would not fit through a 30" exterior door without the door and all hardware removed. The biggest problem is the WOZ is A LOT heavier than my other pins, and it is hard to shift around in a tight squeeze. At a quarter inch of clearance, you are risking a lot. I would take the head off as others have suggested.

it is incredibly easy; there's seriously almost no reason not to do it. just be careful. hell of a lot easier to move around too!

#13 6 years ago

Thanks for the insight everyone. The first machine I ever bought had the head off, and I was able to figure that out!

If I pick one up, I'll probably just take my time with it and remove the head. No need to rush with such an expensive toy!

#14 6 years ago

Whatever you do, buy a WOZ. Even if you have to cut a hole in the wall or move houses. Amazing pin, really enjoyed it while I had one.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

If I pick one up, I'll probably just take my time with it and remove the head. No need to rush with such an expensive toy!

I actually prefer to move pins with the head off nowadays. They are more manageable. Spaceballs has been built that way and Rick & Morty probably will be too.

Why didn't we get into something light, like baseball cards or stamps

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

Whatever you do, buy a WOZ. Even if you have to cut a hole in the wall or move houses. Amazing pin, really enjoyed it while I had one.

LOL. I second that!

#17 6 years ago

Has anyone taken off the head of a DI yet? I know they changed around some things in the back box for this game compared to the other two games. I had it easy with games on my first floor but I'm moving and they'll be in the basement without a straight shot staircase and I'm not looking forward to that. I am looking forward to the extra space and a new JJP though.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I think I read a while back someone else unbolted the hinges for the backbox.

Agreed, but remove the whole head why chance having it slip while moving it and it makes the machine just over 60 lbs lighter, just remove the wires there are only a few and takes less then 2 minutes. (power for monitor, video cable, left and right audio cables and wire for topper)

#19 6 years ago

I have a slightly used (used for the weekend at the denver show) standard edition with shaker motor installed. double factory warranty. delivery to your home (and professional installation into the basement).

send me a message to discuss further

Christopher

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Funny....my wife said that exact thing yesterday!

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I own more stamps than I do pinballs. While stamps may be a better investment, pins are a lot more fun.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 5.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-width-and-my-basement-door?hl=jerryb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.