(Topic ID: 211892)

Wizard of Oz vs. Star Wars Prem/LE Which One Would You Choose?

By apinballwiz

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

Hi Everyone

If you had to choose between getting one of these machines which would be your choice and why? Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

SW.

I understand WOZ has a lot of stuff going for it but I just cannot get into it. The layout is juts kind of boring to me.

#3 6 years ago

And to me, SW is a snooze-fest. Boring layout, too much focus on the LCD, and that wire ramp right in front of the flippers on the Prem/LE is just annoying.

Owned WOZ for a long time and loved the game. There's a LOT to it and I was still seeing new things in the game up until the day I sold it, which was just recently.

Looks like you already own WOZ. If you're thinking of trading it in for SW, don't.

#4 6 years ago

Woz..... Without question

#5 6 years ago

I vote WOZ.

#6 6 years ago

You know what they say:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#7 6 years ago

Owned both... woz is a cool pin, visually beautiful, super light show, but it's a bit slow, and just got too monotonous and predictable for me. My wozrr is long gone.

SW may appear much simpler, but it's just crazy fast, dynamic, multiple paths to high scores or focusing on goals, innovative game play with selectable multipliers adds a completely novel and challenging element. Will be in my collection for quite some time I believe.

#8 6 years ago

I like WOZ. It’s gorgeous. But the gameplay on SW is much more fun. The “too much focus on the LCD” argument for SW doesn’t make sense to me when comparing it to WOZ. Both games are vastly different in terms of gameplay so opinions are going to be strong on both sides, like usual I guess.

#9 6 years ago

I spent a few hours playing a SW on location recently. I’ve been a SW fan my whole life. In fact, my wife thinks I’m a fanatic. It’s a dream theme. That being said, I could not get into it. I felt that it was boring. The friends I was with were bored after only a few games and drifted to GB and ST. The tie fighter on a spring actually made me laugh because it seemed so cheap. Much to my dissapointment, I could not force myself to like that game.
WOZ on the other hand is fantastic. In my opinion, one of the best games ever made. Theme does nothing for me. I typically like games that are fast and adrenaline driven, but WOZ is so well done that I fell in love with it immediately. It’ll never leave my collection.

#10 6 years ago

100 percent WOZ

#11 6 years ago

Keep your WOZ. Until JJP POTC comes out.

#12 6 years ago

I own both SW LE and WoZ RR. They are polar opposites in many ways and I have no plans to sell either. The OP's only game seems to be WoZ so, SW would probably be a great way to mix things up.

#13 6 years ago

SWLE is way more fun than WOZ

#14 6 years ago

WOZ or SW.....what a great time to be alive!

#15 6 years ago

Played them both. Only one wanted in my collection, WOZ.

#16 6 years ago

I own a WOZ, buddy down the street has a SW Premium.

IMHO, they are tough to compare, completely different style games.

SW is a fast open PF with a lot of focus pointed at both LCD screens (hurry ups, path decisions, video modes, etc)

WOZ is a widebody with a lot packed in to the PF, I'm not going to say its slow, but it's a slower pace than SW. The game play is what's different; there are soo many layers, soo much to do.. it's not a game you would get bored with any time soon.

SW is a fun pin if you really dig the movies (I'm not too into the movies, but have a blast playing it)

But WOZ, hard to explain, soo much thought/effort/artwork/programming/engineering was put into it.. You could not remotely be into the movie whatsoever (like me) yet still totally love the game. Too me, that says alot.

#17 6 years ago

Considering SW is one of the worst new pins to be released in some time, WoZ.

Actually WoZ is one of the best machines out there.

#18 6 years ago
#19 6 years ago

Woz is a pretty amazing game with one best lightshows and code in pinball imo

#20 6 years ago

I would have to say Woz hands down. So much going for it and is extreamly fun/interesting layout.

#21 6 years ago

WIzard of oz. I love Star Wars, can’t really get into the pin. It looks like Star Wars,but doesn’t feel or play like Star Wars. If that makes sense, it just doesn’t click with me

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I understand WOZ has a lot of stuff going for it but I just cannot get into it. The layout is juts kind of boring to me.

I have the same problem. I want to experience WOZ, but the only way I feel I can experience it is to own one in my home and try to advance in the journey. I have not been able to advance very far on location. I call it the rainbow show with no flow. It is a game that is deep like LOTR, so you need to advance in modes to progress significantly. Star Wars Premium/LE is an amazing game. It is very fast and the flow is awesome. The LCD, and hyperloop really add to the enjoyment. For me SW blows WOZ out of the water, but I do feel like they are apples and oranges. WOZ is like LOTR and SW is like ST. The question you have to ask yourself is, do I want a deep journey style game or do I want a fast flowing Steve Ritchie classic?

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

You know what they say:

While I agree with this; I think the same can be said about SW. I swear, everyone, including myself, that I talk to that have less than a few dozen plays on SW, hate it! And everyone I talk to that has 100's of plays, simply love it and say it's the most amazing experience, with stellar strategic rules and epic fast gameplay. So do you think the people that knock SW and say crap like its the worst release ever, or worst integration ever just don't understand it? I think so. And, I think the same is said about WOZ!

I owned WOZ for about 6 months, its amazing! I say WOZ is the better game only because I do 'get it' and love it. But, it lacks dynamic scoring which SW has a ton of. If I were to get one, it would be SW only because I owned WOZ in the past and that I want to 'get' the underground love for SW. I think there's something very very deep going on in SW that not a lot of pinsiders get, including myself. It's a pin that needs to be appreciated in a home environment because it's so deep with a crapload of breadth and strategy.

#24 6 years ago

WOZ is incredible and a masterpiece of a pin. I’m not a Star Wars fan. However, I think the pin is amazingly cool fun and fast. If you want fast, go Star Wars.

#25 6 years ago

I have both and they are entirely different which I enjoy as they each offer unique gameplay experiences.

However, one cool similarity between the two games is that both feature deep objective based rulesets with a mini wizard and super wizard mode.

#26 6 years ago

I get a kick out of these posts....what one likes or dislikes about a pinball game is really a personal decision. Some people like fast, fun, and exciting games with deep rule sets, and some are drawn to the theme of the machine. The good news is both of these games are themed based, and will resonate with different audiences. I have owned both machines, and they are both very fun games, but very different from each other. I would pick the game that has the best theme in your mind.

#27 6 years ago

Traded my swLe for woz 75th this week.

Sw kicked mine and the family’s butt to a pulp, very agressive pin thats awesome when its going well, but in 6 months those games were far and few. Didnt feel rewarding anymore, but it is an awesome game. Maybe later when i am older I will revisit..

Woz, well thats here for the second time.

Both great, both good in different aspects.

#28 6 years ago

Thank you for everyone's input, I appreciate all of your opinions. Reason why I started this thread is because I recently had to go on disability and I had to reduce my collection down to one pin to pay bills. That pin is WOZ, which I love. Saw a Star Wars Premium which I had to check out loving the theme and designed by Steve Ritchie, and as I feared I was hooked. I needed opinions on what others thought about the games - gameplay, which has the deeper ruleset, etc. Still leaning on keeping my WOZ for the moment, this forum rules!

#29 6 years ago

You know, everyone has different tastes. Star Wars is a fast machine but few toys, WOZ is toy overload. Its a DEEP game that thrives in a home environment. JJP had something to prove and created what I consider a masterpiece. That said, play them both, VERY different games.

#30 6 years ago

You’re asking if you should buy a Porsche or a Bentley. Two totally different pins. I played WOZ and thought it was a good pin. Lightshow, sounds, toys, all a lot of fun. It played slow and steady. SW is all about speed. Ball play, multipliers, risks, reward. I would choose SW...I own it. My advice is play both. I will warn you, if you play a SW on location, and it’s not set up correctly, you’ll hate it. This is a picky pin. But once setup right...just one more play.

#31 6 years ago

Play them first or you will never know for sure.

#32 6 years ago

Of all these "this or that" threads, I think this is the biggest gap in quality I have seen. Wizard of Oz is 100 times the game that Star Wars is. Star Wars is a mess of software ideas, all piled on one another, and it's fairly janky from a physical standpoint. Wizard of Oz is a smooth shooter, has tons of paths to play through, has a logical rule set (once you figure out how it works), and is far less repetitious than Star Wars.

tl;dr: Wizard of Oz in all aspects >>>>>>>>>> Star Wars in all aspects

#33 6 years ago

Wizard of Oz.

#34 6 years ago

WOZ, no contest...One of the most basic playfields in the world, VS one of the most populated and beautiful arrangements. Additionally, I would argue WOZ is MUCH easier to follow.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

Hi Everyone
If you had to choose between getting one of these machines which would be your choice and why? Thanks!

WoZ, no contest. But it's not a flow game, so if you hate stop and go, then no WoZ.

But get the 2.0 light system. The old one is nothing but trouble once it starts having problems.

#36 6 years ago

woz

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-vs-star-wars-premle-which-one-would-you-choose?hl=benb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.