0122211253 (resized).jpg
IMG_45271 (resized).jpg
IMG_45281 (resized).jpg
IMG_45291 (resized).jpg
IMG_6370 (resized).jpg
IMG_6365 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 4 years ago

It's been an eyesore for a long time and we've been working on an ultimate solution for months. We didn't want to just make a quality direct replacement, we wanted to plus it up a bit. So aside from being a direct, plug and play solution which should be installed in moments, there are a few unique features which we think really makes this shine.

- Munchkin hut molded details including windows and doors
- Textured and tinted window glass
- Extended footprint to cover more of the exposed mechs in the game including major extension to the rear to cover more of the dead space
- Molded wire covers to hide both the front and rear exposed wire harnesses
- Extended front block wall to cover brackets and mounting screws, textured with painted 3d bricks to match the movie
- Newly added rear trellis with planter to include vines, trailing plants and poppies hand crafted from individual leaves and vines matching the movie
- Translucent sparkly gumdrop roof toppers
- Hand painted trim
- Center planted garden area
- Thick and strong PLA+ printed parts in high detail
- Textured wall coating for realistic finish
- Textured roof thatching

Now to the interactivity. While this is an optional add-on, I think it will be a want for most people:
- Fully customizable interactive lighting controller with 4 button keypad for setting many options
- Direct plug and play, no splicing, joining wires, soldering or modifications to the existing game at all
- Addressable 5050 RGB LEDs positioned within each window and roof gumdrop
- Default state with be dimly lit sparkling windows and gumdrops, showing the munchkins are home
- With each ball lock successive windows light up bright emerald green (or another selected color) and each roof gumdrop topper lights up and sparkles

Here is a rendering of our current model, probably version 8 or so. You aren't seeing a lot of the textures, flowers, etc which are being added or hand created on finished pieces. We are printing out version 9 now and working on the lighting placement. Once it is painted and we take some pics I will get pricing released and ordering open. This will be slow to make, 9 or 10 printed parts, I think, maybe more. Hand glued individual flowers, lighting installation, painting, etc.

As with other complex mods we will open up a discounted pre-order so we can order parts in bulk and save some money on economies of scale. We have 2 or 3 other WOZ mods that are being designed at the same time so stay tuned for a nice upgrade package coming around the bend.

If you have questions or thoughts, now's a good time so we can incorporate any changes before full production.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2 4 years ago

We represent the lollipop guild. Sign me up.

#3 4 years ago

Looks great! I will buy one.

#4 4 years ago

to follow

1 month later
#5 4 years ago

Hi Guys & Gals,

Here is an updated prototype. These take, let me stress this, FOREVER to produce lol. There is a ton of really fine detail and they are very large. In fact, we had to slice it up in to individual sections to even fit on the printers. This is the main hut structure, roof and clear "drops" on the roofs. We have a small amount of tweaking to do with mounts for lighting and the controller but it's coming along in-between other projects.

As you can see the roof has been throughly detailed and modeled to match the movie. The drops are clear and will be lit from under, reacting to ball movement in the game, same with the windows. Next step is to refine the few functional issues and print a final version and paint. We have lots of cool details that will be added. These will be fairly expensive as they take literally days to print and will require a lot of hand finishing and detail work but they will be worth it. It adds a huge piece that is missing from the game.

#6 4 years ago

I like where this is going

#7 4 years ago

It looks fantastic

#8 4 years ago

To follow

#9 4 years ago

I’m in!

#10 4 years ago

looks great so far

#11 4 years ago

Looking good!

#12 4 years ago

No question, you are on the right way dude!

1 month later
#13 4 years ago

For all you patient people, first completely printed prototype. Missing the dots on top, I forgot to grab them. They are clear resin. Need to make a few functional changes for light mounting and controller mounting (it's all self-contained) but I think we'll finish this one so we can have a completed prototype and work out the look. We have some cool items in store for the finish.

Did I mention it mounts with magnets? No screws or posts to install.

#14 4 years ago

Woops, might have not cropped this tight enough.

#15 4 years ago

Hey Scott. If you are creating a list of interested buyers, please add me to it. Thanks. Mike

#16 4 years ago

Hey Mike, I'll post a link here when we're ready to start taking orders and we'll process them in order of purchase, so stay tuned

2 weeks later
#17 4 years ago

Working on color selections and window adornments. Still to install are plants and grass. Then to program the lighting effects.

A shot I haven't posted clearly elsewhere, special for followers of the thread. Still gotta keep some things to the imagination!

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Working on color selections and window adornments. Still to install are plants and grass. Then to program the lighting effects.
A shot I haven't posted clearly elsewhere, special for followers of the thread. Still gotta keep some things to the imagination![quoted image]

Blurry..

#19 4 years ago

Or just realizing you did that on purpose haha. Cmon man, I wanna see this!

#20 4 years ago

I was going to say Harry. Your lens is dirty, but i get it. I used my wife's glasses and it was a little clearer.
Looking sharp, I mean fuzzy, looking good.

#21 4 years ago

Heh, the reality is this is a rough printed prototype and has been painted over a few times while choosing colors and such. Once I get it all clean and finished I'll post the focused pic. Doing some planting today. Testing window decoration, this is the prototype. Waiting on material to print it as a single piece on translucent plastic. Gotta let the lighting effects shine through

#22 4 years ago

Posting to follow last part of the game that really could use an upgrade

#23 4 years ago

Well... maybe there are a few others?

Throne Room just announced:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-enhanced-interactive-throne-room-by-pmc

Two other mods in the works still, maybe 3 or 4 depending on how it goes.

#24 4 years ago

Well... maybe there are a few others?
Throne Room just announced:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-enhanced-interactive-throne-room-by-pmc
Two other mods in the works still, maybe 3 or 4 depending on how it goes.

Wow and I was excited about the crystal ball mod I ordered can I just get on a recurring payment schedule with you and get them all.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

Wow and I was excited about the crystal ball mod I ordered can I just get on a recurring payment schedule with you and get them all.

Mod of the month club?

Just printed the latest CB, we redesigned the tilt mechanism and it's much better. Making a few small changes to fit and I think that will be it!

#26 4 years ago

Following this too! Where’s the crystal ball mod?

#28 4 years ago

Doing some light position testing. Just random test patterns. I did get a new cell phone with a better camera but still looks shitty for this kind of thing. I also got a gopro but the audio adapter didn't work so I'm waiting on a replacement. Hopefully I'll have some better video capacity soon!

#29 4 years ago

Doing some light position testing. Just random test patterns. I did get a new cell phone with a better camera but still looks shitty for this kind of thing. I also got a gopro but the audio adapter didn't work so I'm waiting on a replacement. Hopefully I'll have some better video capacity soon!

Amazing

#30 4 years ago

Maybe you guys can chime in on the functions here. Probably many people here who know the flow of the game better than I. There are 3 optos I can read for each of the 3 locked balls. Of course that ball count isn't always correct for the player due to the virtual ball lock. I think I can figure out if a ball was just locked or not and if multiball is starting. I was thinking it might be cool to do a bit of a "chase" of the lights through the huts when the ball goes through. I'd need an additional switch or opto for that since there is no opto before the huts and I can't read existing matrixed switches.

So here's what I am sort of planning. Starting with no balls in lock:

- 1st opto triggers (for .5-1 sec, whatever we use for debounce and making sure the ball isn't just being released, in other words the timeout confirms that a ball did lock and not just "pass through" the lock) and we know that one ball is locked, do animation.
- 2nd opto triggers. We don't know if this is a further ball lock for the same player or not, but we know a ball was just locked so we can do animation.
- 3rd opto triggers, I believe this would indicate multiball (if reaching the timeout and the ball isn't released for no-lock) so we can do a multiball animation.

If an opto triggers but then releases right away the ball is passing through the lock and not being locked, we can ignore this for any lock related animation.

If there are 2 balls in the lock and another ball is added but then the first is released this could be another lock or could just be passing through. I think the delay between those events would give enough of a signal to know which is which, but I'm not 100% on that. I think a ball comes in and if the game is going to release one even if an actual lock occurs (because I think the game only physically locks 2 balls at a time) then there will be a bit of a delay (while animation plays, although this can be skipped) versus the very quick timing of the release of the first ball if it is a "passing through" situation. I need to get my game adjusted a bit before I can turn it on and test this so I'm going off memory.

If I add an opto or switch before the hut then I can know when a ball is entering (and we can start a chase sequence) and we can interrupt that sequence if we notice the lock happens. Likely the timing is such that they won't overlap. The time it takes the chase to happen (ball passing through the huts) is probably way less than the debounce to know a lock happened.

Initially I was going to light the windows based on the ball lock count but with the virtual lock there is no way I can easily know the lock count for each player.

Open to any other thoughts or ideas but this is how I am currently programming it.

#31 4 years ago

I love how this mod is coming together! Please put me on the list. I want one !

#32 4 years ago

Initially I was going to light the windows based on the ball lock count but with the virtual lock there is no way I can easily know the lock count for each player.

I like the window idea - with this mod really hitting the home use world for me most games don't have more than one person playing at a time, even when I have a gathering so would like it lit, even if its wrong sometimes for me its going to be correct 90% of the time.

#33 4 years ago

Good point. I could give settings via a key pad. So you can turn some features on or off. Wasn't sure there was enough functionality to offer choices. So color and brightness become options then.

#34 4 years ago

This may be a case where less in more. It looks like very little if any of the playfield will be illuminated by the lighting of the huts. Having bright and flashing lights might distract from other parts of the game, while a dim warm glow coming out of the windows and tops might be a nice effect.

#35 4 years ago

Very interesting. Definitely add my name to an interested list.

One comment: I'd make sure the end colors (paint) are of the same palate found in the game.

#36 4 years ago

I agree with the less is more suggestion. I think the warm glow of "lived in" huts makes for a better look than some munchkin constantly hitting the light switch.

#37 4 years ago

I can easily make one of the modes "We're home!" and just have the window lights dim flicker. Could be another option to turn on and off the "effect" when a ball locks so if you don't want the flash for that it could be disabled.

Re: paint color, it's a tough choice. That's the 4th color scheme I worked on. The problem is what is used in the game (on the original) doesn't fully relate to the movie and what is used in the ride (I know, but the pictures are really high quality and an artist interpreted the aesthetic so I'd use their input over mine, lol). I am not convinced about what is on there, I'm looking in to a more muted option.

#38 4 years ago

I think muted is probably the best way to go, colors throughout the game are probably a great guideline. Obviously, you’re the artist, tho

#39 4 years ago

Interested, too!

#40 4 years ago

I like the warm lived in vibe as well. But things could definitely amp up during multi-ball. I absolutely am in on this mod and all the others. Something about WOZ can’t get enough

#41 4 years ago

Amazing stuff Scott!

1 week later
#42 4 years ago

Each hut gets their own set of window screens!

Really each hut gets custom window paint covers so none of the textured finish gets on the window trim. These little things take a long time.

#43 4 years ago

Just a question, but have you thought about your mod from a player's perspective? A lot of the cool detail might be lost....

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Just a question, but have you thought about your mod from a player's perspective? A lot of the cool detail might be lost....

Tell me more... ?

#45 4 years ago

This mod is coming along nicely also. I am not sure if I feel the lights on the top are needed. Or maybe only come on when you get 3 balls locked.. lots of ideas..

Also another fun idea, not sure if possible.. but you have three windows that are lit up. If those could be connected to how many balls are locked... 1 window lit, for 1 ball in lock, 2 lit for 2 balls locked....

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

This mod is coming along nicely also. I am not sure if I feel the lights on the top are needed. Or maybe only come on when you get 3 balls locked.. lots of ideas..
Also another fun idea, not sure if possible.. but you have three windows that are lit up. If those could be connected to how many balls are locked... 1 window lit, for 1 ball in lock, 2 lit for 2 balls locked....

Yup, that was the initial idea with the windows but at the bottom of this post I note why it won't work:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-upgraded-munchkinland-huts-amp-lock-ball-add-on#post-5457021

If we are able to get further software integration with the game, something we're working on, then we could possibly be able to tell how many balls are virtually locked for each player. But I doubt that would happen anytime soon so I think this will need to be released with some more basic lighting features.

I could offer the mod without lighting all together, if people want as well.

#47 4 years ago

Tell me more... ?

When playing teh game you are viewing the huts from the long end, so don't really see the detail on the fronts.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

When playing teh game you are viewing the huts from the long end, so don't really see the detail on the fronts.

Oh, I didn't realize!

10 months later
#49 3 years ago

Is this mod still going to be produced?

#50 3 years ago

I am interested also

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 5.00
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.50
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 16.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-upgraded-munchkinland-huts-amp-lock-ball-add-on?hl=apinballwiz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.