Wizard Of Oz Problem***EASY FIX*** JACK AT JJP GREAT GUY*** A GREAT CHANGE

By rlevin

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Just got our new WOZ after waiting what seemed like forever and it gets here and does not work. Finally after around 4 hours of trouble shooting we found the problem. 1st of all the coils were not getting any power and the fuses were testing good . It came down to a pin had been pushed thru the connector on the transformer. Fixed it and this pin is something else we love it. BUT the best part is Jack the owner of JJP spends a hour with me on the phone just bullshitting about pins and their business plan. That says a lot about those guys there. So if you guys get your pin and it does not work look there 1st it may be a common problem. I told Jack when we lifted the PF up it was like looking under the hood of the Knight Rider car very impressive but very different.

#2 10 years ago

Dale glad you got it fixed after we spoke. Can you shoot me a pic of what pin had wiggled loose? It was a pin that had pushed out of like a molex connector? I'll take a look. Likely just a single occurrence but doesn't hurt to double check

#3 10 years ago

Maybe your post title could read "Wizard of Oz Problem - Solved the Right Way!"

It is really encouraging to hear these kinds of stories. It is clear to me that JJP has made it a priority to attack issues the right way.

This will pay dividends down the road. It can really be a differentiator.

#4 10 years ago

I will get you a pic Monday my cam is at home and my phone cam sucks but it is a simple thing that can happen on a line and a easy fix but at 1st you think it is major.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

Maybe your post title could read "Wizard of Oz Problem - Solved the Right Way!"

Hand in face......

Good job JJP for resolving the issues quickly.

#6 10 years ago

How do I change the title

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from rlevin:

How do I change the title

Edit topic in your original post.

#8 10 years ago

Congrats on the new game. Amazing customer service.

#9 10 years ago

One would have to expect your going to run into a problem here and there. Any machine with 100's of electrical and mechanical parts is going to have glitches. Nice to hear all was resolved.

#10 10 years ago

Enjoy your new pin champ, Great customer service also

#11 10 years ago

I had an issue with mine the other day. I sent Jack a p/m here and within 5 minutes he called me. We talked for a while and he had Steve call me when our call was done. Steve walked me through some things and we figured out the problem. He is also sending me a new crystal ball as mine did not work.

Super customer service.

#12 10 years ago

This is a amazing pinball I have never play a pinball this fast. Super fast and super fun I am keeping me one.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from rlevin:

This is a amazing pinball I have never play a pinball this fast. Super fast and super fun I am keeping me one.

How many degrees are you setting it at? 6.5?

#14 10 years ago

I was surprised not to see a pitch bubble. It has everything else.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from BriGuy5:

You use that thing? I always use a level because it allows me to do right to left not just front to back

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

You use that thing? I always use a level because it allows me to do right to left not just front to back

I've always wondered why you wouldn't place one of those circular 360 degree levels under the apron or something at the appropriate angle? Just pop the apron off and Then you could do all directions. Dunno how well it would work but it would be something.

#17 10 years ago

From my experience built in levels are not accurate.

#18 10 years ago

Inclinometers attached under the pf with pitch of each displayed in menu?

#19 10 years ago

Good to see businesses backing and fixing their products

#20 10 years ago

Would be nice to see sensors under the playfield that sense the pitch left/right and up/down and display it on the LCD.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

That is brilliant idea.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Now that would be damn cool!

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Dale glad you got it fixed after we spoke. Can you shoot me a pic of what pin had wiggled loose? It was a pin that had pushed out of like a molex connector? I'll take a look. Likely just a single occurrence but doesn't hurt to double check

Alex,

The machines do get tested after assembly, correct?

#24 10 years ago

Course they do, but hours in trucks, on planes and by ship can wiggle things apart after leaving the factory

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from j69:

Course they do, but hours in trucks, on planes and by ship can wiggle things apart after leaving the factory

OP said a pin was pushed through the connector. Does that sound like a shipping issue to you?

#26 10 years ago

No, but it could have been pushed through due to a flat locking pin at manufacturing but still had connectivity UNTIL it shipped.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from KYpinhead:

OP said a pin was pushed through the connector. Does that sound like a shipping issue to you?

Um, yeah, the connection was marginal during test, and shipping wiggled it the rest of the way loose.

Or are you implying they don't test the games after assembly?

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from KYpinhead:

Alex,

Of course they get tested. Thoroughly.

You have seen the testing line, correct?

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from KYpinhead:

When I was there in June, I helped on that line a lot. Two rows of games back to back. There is a check list. Games are left on over night if not longer. Every switch, every coil is checked. Adjustments made. Then checked again. They play some games. And go over it again.

Last step is vacuum it out, secure metal cover over boards. Then over to get wiped down, boxed up, and shipped.

It is quite an extensive process with four or five people on it when I was there.

LTG : )
Disclaimer : I was impressed.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from j69:

don't forget shipping guys seeing how far they can kick a box or using it as a bobsled etc etc

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Um, yeah, the connection was marginal during test, and shipping wiggled it the rest of the way loose.
Or are you implying they don't test the games after assembly?

Roll your eyes all you want, my machine had a couple of obvious issues that damn sure didn't happen during shipping! They should have been caught before being boxed.

#32 10 years ago

The only thing better than great customer service is...

Not needing it.

Congrats on the new pin and getting it working.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from KYpinhead:

Roll your eyes all you want, my machine had a couple of obvious issues that damn sure didn't happen during shipping! They should have been caught before being boxed.

Welcome to the world of new in box pinball machines! Any NIB machine I don't care who made it will more than likely need some tweaking when you unbox it.

#34 10 years ago

Seriously.

#35 10 years ago

Every game will need tweaking and even if this is a line issue JJP knows about and they are checking into it. This is how great companies are made. You judge a company not only on how good their products are but even a bigger factor is how they take care of problems and treat you as a customer. Some companies and I will not call names treat you like a dumbass and act like they do not want to be brother by you. This was not the case with JJP and we could not be happier

#36 10 years ago

First of all, I want to say Stern has impressive technical support. The only problem I have ever had is, on occasion, some difficulty getting ahold of someone quickly. If I am persistant, I will eventually get ahold of someone and they are very helpful. That being said, JJP has set the bar a little higher in terms of technical support IMHO. Other than the obvious technical support you can see happening right here in pinside forum threads before your eyes, the online ticket system they have is great. I had a couple of very minor technical glitches on my WOZ, so I went on the website under support and created an open ticket for the issues I was having. In both cases, I had an email response within 24 hours on the issue with suggestions as to how to take care of the problem. And in both cases, the suggestions took care of the problem. (I haven't called them by phone yet over anything, so I can't comment on that experience.). A lot of companies could learn from this approach to better improve their technical support of products!

Btw, the game is amazing.

#37 10 years ago

Play it like you stole it....

Pins are a true wild card if everything works correctly once moved. The brand maters little but once you fold up a couple hundred pound game with lots of switches and contacts you are lucky if something does not need adjusted or tweaked once set up again.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from KYpinhead:

Sorry I'm not psychic, I was obviously reacting to your insinuation that your connector issue couldn't have occurred during shipping and they must not have tested the game. So, again,

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from spiffy:

First of all, I want to say Stern has impressive technical support. The only problem I have ever had is, on occasion, some difficulty getting ahold of someone quickly. If I am persistant, I will eventually get ahold of someone and they are very helpful. That being said, JJP has set the bar a little higher in terms of technical support IMHO. Other than the obvious technical support you can see happening right here in pinside forum threads before your eyes, the online ticket system they have is great. I had a couple of very minor technical glitches on my WOZ, so I went on the website under support and created an open ticket for the issues I was having. In both cases, I had an email response within 24 hours on the issue with suggestions as to how to take care of the problem. And in both cases, the suggestions took care of the problem. (I haven't called them by phone yet over anything, so I can't comment on that experience.). A lot of companies could learn from this approach to better improve their technical support of products!
Btw, the game is amazing.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from rlevin:

Some companies and I will not call names treat you like a dumbass and act like they do not want to be brother by you. This was not the case with JJP and we could not be happier

Good to hear JJP / Jack himself solved your problems quickly! Obviously they do care about their products and JJP is not only a business but a passion we should all support.
On the other hand...no need to bash Stern for its customer service. Patrick Powers was as responsive (minus the phone call!) for a problem I had with my WPT that should have been taken care of years ago by the previous owner.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from BriGuy5:

I was also surprised. When this item started appearing on my new Bally/WMS pins, I was impressed. Even today, whenever I go to play a pin, either in the wild or at a home, I look for it. It puts a reference point in my mind. You never know how off level the floor is, so looking at the legs is not enough.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

13,000 (OBO)
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.