(Topic ID: 128036)

Wizard of Oz Pinball - APRON SCREEN (MOD)

By levi_br

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What did you think about this WOZ mod? (Maybe I will post a tutorial for this)”

• Love 149 votes
    71%
  • Like 55 votes
    26%
  • Hate 6 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 210 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170511_185152 (resized).jpg
20170511_184953 (resized).jpg
IMG_6993 (resized).PNG
IMG_6988 (resized).JPG
IMG_6987 (resized).JPG
IMG_6986 (resized).JPG
20161117_174429 (resized).jpg
ApronMonitor02 (resized).jpg
ApronMonitor03 (resized).jpg
ApronMonitor01 (resized).jpg
woz-resolution2 (resized).jpg
woz-resolution1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0330 (resized).JPG
IMG_5126 (resized).JPG
IMG_5125 (resized).JPG
image_5.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider levi_br.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

This Mod is cheap (only USD $50.00), easy to install (3 hours), no drilling and no changes in the WOZ pinball.
-
You can look at the flippers and monitor screen at the same time.
-
Do you want a Tutorial on how to do this?
-
====> Tutorial now available for download - Post #73 <=====
-
-

-

I've been thinking about… would it be possible to install a screen on the apron of a pinball with DMD? Williams, Sega, etc.
-
Yes, it would be possible (see below), but that´s another story!

-
-
-
-
-

f3.jpgf3.jpg
f4.jpgf4.jpg

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

This is VERY cool!
But what takes 3 hours if there is no drilling/changes to the hardware?

3 hours to install display controller boad (Playfield underside)

f5.jpgf5.jpg
#13 8 years ago
Quoted from eharan:

This is very cool! Will you be selling these?

I'm not selling. It is not hard to do. If it's really cool, I'll post a tutorial.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Wouldn't any DMD Pin qualify?

WOZ mod is very different than Williams mod, but both are cheap and easy to install.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I actually pitched this idea to Jjp three years ago when we were finishing up woz to have this in the hobbit

Very cool! Now we can do it for only $50.00

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Looks like a small VGA monitor, taken apart so it's controller board is mounted under the playfield. Where did you mount the display's adjustment buttons? Do you need a VGA splitter with this?

Yes, it's a 7" display with a generic controller board.
You do not need vga splitter. There are DVI and VGA ports in WOZ CPU. Both ports work simultaneously.
After adjusted, you do not need to press display's buttons. It works just like the back box monitor.

f7.jpgf7.jpg
#37 8 years ago
Quoted from DEK:

Nossa grande mod. vou querer esse tutorial tenho uma woz que comprei do Daniel da pinballmania.

Dek, jogar e ter o display ao alcance dos olhos é muito legal depois que se acostuma com a situação. Principalmente na WOZ que tem muitas informações sobre o jogo no display. WOZ é uma máquina sensacional.

#40 8 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments.
-
I started doing the tutorial

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

Levi, what model LCD panel did you get? I see there are a few "less expensive" models avail.

Jason, I think any monitor will work. I experienced monitors resolutions: 1024x600, 1280x800 and 800x480. I did not see significant differences. In the video above, I used 800x480 and I paid $45.00 (eBay)

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

I guess you can connect a $50 7" LCD monitor to the WoZ monitor signal, but that's not the same as connecting it to a DMD pin and adding a scrolling rules card graphic. $$$

Neal, your are right! This post is about WOZ mod.
As I said above:
Yes, it would be possible (see below), but that´s another story!
-
-
Pinball w/DMD: I spent a little more ($34.00 - raspberry pi)

#46 8 years ago

Adaobr, than

Thanks a lot for WOZ characters! I loved it!

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I am guessing it would not work on an LE because of the wood apron likely resulting in not enough clearance between the apron and glass.

The necessary clearance between the glass and apron is less than 7mm ( thickness of the 7" LCD display + double sided tape)

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I bet I can make it work...just not sure how it would look when finished.
I'd remove my wooden apron, reverse-engineer it, machine a prototype (or 2, if needed), then I'd machine a stepped-thru pocket from the underside of the apron, then mount the screen under the apron.
I'm sure this approach would require me to modify the apron that lies under the wooden apron cover. It all depens on the total thickness of the LCD screen.
I've thought about making a new wooden apron for my WOZ anyway. I was thinking of making a slightly nicer one out of solid oak.

Fantastic idea!! I'll think about it. I built a CNC router to cut wood, nylon, etc. I can use to cut the wood (oak!!) apron.

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from DorothyMacaw:

I was looking at the specs on the 7 inch screen and the screen is 3mm thick. The additional 4mm seems to be coming from the double sided tape used to hold it firmly to the apron.
If you can figure a way to secure it to the apron without 4mm thick double sided tape, I think it would work even with the wooden apron on the LE.

The double sided tape is only 1mm. If your display is 3mm ==> Really, the total is 4mm!!

#73 8 years ago

Finally, here is the tutorial to perform this task.
-
I made the tutorial very fast. Probably there are lots of little mistakes. Thank you for your understanding!
-
if you install the screen yourself, Please put photos here.

#76 8 years ago

Thanks, Law! I appreciate your style too!

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Thanks for posting this....
I see another project I'll be doing soon.

I hope you enjoy it.

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I assume, I can just install a standard apron on an LE?

See post #71.
I think it would work even with the apron LE on the WOZ 75th.

#84 8 years ago

Thank you, Gawcol !
Thank you, Wesley !

#88 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I'm a little concerned about the control board being so close to the hand rail, if someone would produce another apron that is cut for the display and can have the control board tucked away under the apron, or if I can get another WOZLE Apron, I think I'd be a moddin mine, but I don't want to cut my numbered apron up., but I really really really like this mod!

It is not very close to the hand rail.

f8.jpgf8.jpg

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Nice mod, great work
This could be a good combo with Smartdmd. You could than use a hdmi splitter between raspberry Pi and the lcddisplay which replaced the dmd and hook up the extra apron LCD
Will give this a try

Great idea! Anyone can try it. To me this mod is just a hobby, not a business.

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I'm a little concerned about the control board being so close to the hand rail, if someone would produce another apron that is cut for the display and can have the control board tucked away under the apron, or if I can get another WOZLE Apron, I think I'd be a moddin mine, but I don't want to cut my numbered apron up., but I really really really like this mod!

TOTAN: I installed under the apron and I used a long flat cable between display and controller board.

Ex: Display for $40.00 (free shipping): http://www.aliexpress.com/item/7-Inches-1024-600-IPS-Screen-Display-LCD-TFT-Monitor-EJ070NA-01J-with-Remote-Driver-Control/32316420752.html

apron TOTAN.jpgapron TOTAN.jpg
#92 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I'd love to see the connection to the A/V board.
Did you split the ribbon cable between the AV board and the DMD Display?
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

I'll make a tutorial for pinball with DMD.
I split the ribbon cable between the DMD display and a littler computer.
The LCD display is connected to the computer, but it's all low cost. You'll spend around $ 80.

3 weeks later
#115 8 years ago
Quoted from rviguet:

Has anyone tried the mod on a ECLE? I would like to do it, but I am wondering if the cable coming from the display is long enough to accommodate the wood apron topper. I wouldn't mind buying a spare wood apron topper (maybe a second from JJP) to experiment with routing out a recess to put the display into. Anyone know if any of them are available?

You can buy an extension flat cable. Some displays include extension flat cable.

ebay.com link: HDMI VGA 2AV Rear View Monitors 7inch 1024 600 AT070TNA2 IPS LCD Display

ebay.com link: 50 Pins to 40 Pins Extension Flat Cable FFC Extend 0 5mm Pitch FFC Cable 50Pin

#116 8 years ago
Quoted from Djsandoz:

What gage wire is it for the 12 volt

20 AWG (0.5 mm2)

#119 8 years ago
Quoted from Petz:

This mod has just inspired me to join the pinsiders community. Thanks for the great mod idea.

I'm glad you like it.

#120 8 years ago

So, Jean-Luc-Picard, It is now time to get to work.

2 weeks later
#137 8 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

Ok, I just stuck the display (same one as in post 90) in my WOZLE. I put double sided tape on the back of the display and put it in the middle of the wooden apron. I put the controller board under the left side of the apron. I used double sided tape there too. I had a spare DVi- HDMI cable and put the dvi in the back of the WOZ computer and HDMI into the display controller board. I thought it would be gimmicky but I find myself looking at it all the time now. I like it just below the flippers too, instead of the right side. This mod is a keeper. I never mod my pins, but this is going on my hobbit when it comes. Thanks for showing us this. image.jpg

Congratulations! It´s Pretty cool installation in the wooden apron!

1 month later
#163 8 years ago

Neal_W, I will make the DMD tutorial soon!
But before I need to solve a non-technical problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
13,000 (OBO)
$ 24.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 16.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 5.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider levi_br.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-pinball-apron-screen-mod?tu=levi_br and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.