(Topic ID: 128036)

Wizard of Oz Pinball - APRON SCREEN (MOD)

By levi_br

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 433 posts
  • 102 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Reznnate
  • Topic is favorited by 103 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What did you think about this WOZ mod? (Maybe I will post a tutorial for this)”

• Love 145 votes
    70%
  • Like 55 votes
    27%
  • Hate 6 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 206 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 47 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20170511_185152 (resized).jpg
20170511_184953 (resized).jpg
IMG_6993 (resized).PNG
IMG_6988 (resized).JPG
IMG_6987 (resized).JPG
IMG_6986 (resized).JPG
20161117_174429 (resized).jpg
ApronMonitor02 (resized).jpg
ApronMonitor03 (resized).jpg
ApronMonitor01 (resized).jpg
woz-resolution2 (resized).jpg
woz-resolution1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0330 (resized).JPG
IMG_5126 (resized).JPG
IMG_5125 (resized).JPG
image_5.jpg

There are 433 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.
#401 1 year ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

Great, anyone has a link to a 1920x1024 7" lcd used ? Incl the correct hardware etc.
Think this will also work with the hobbit screen.

If this is just splitting/duplicating the VGA output, and the screen handles 1920 resolution, then yes it will work on TH. The previous LCD that was being used was only up to 720p so needed to be downscaled

#402 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

If this is just splitting/duplicating the VGA output, and the screen handles 1920 resolution, then yes it will work on TH. The previous LCD that was being used was only up to 720p so needed to be downscaled

Yes its just duplicating so it will work.

#403 1 year ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

I think I've figured it out.

Nice!, thats a sexy apron you have there

#404 1 year ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

I used a powered vga splitter. Used the VGA port in the back of the monitor and connected the small monitor up and turned it on. Powered vga splitter uses a USB port in the back of the computer to power it. Vga splitter is about $27.00 similar to this. amazon.com link »

Im interested to see others try this on different models of WoZ to see the results, I hope the converting done in the splitter fixes all the issues for all models

#405 1 year ago

I think that both woz and hobbit models build end of 2016 and later are using the DVI connector on the main screen. My dec 2016 wozrr and my feb 2017 hobbit do. Both have 1920x1080 displays

#406 1 year ago

I took my apron off to have something custom made that makes the extra screen look factory. I'll take pictures when it's done. Chosen_s brings up a good point about what model it is. I've a got a late model Emerald city.

#407 1 year ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

I took my apron off to have something custom made that makes the extra screen look factory. I'll take pictures when it's done. Chosen_s brings up a good point about what model it is. I've a got a late model Emerald city.

Do you have a link to the apron screen you bought ?

#409 1 year ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

It's similar to this. There are cheaper models on eBay now.
ebay.com link » Hdmi Vga 2av Lcd Controller Board Auo 7 B070ew01 1280x800 Lcd Screen

thanks, ordered 2 sets, 1 for woz and 1 for hobbit.

#410 1 year ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

It's similar to this. There are cheaper models on eBay now.
ebay.com link » Hdmi Vga 2av Lcd Controller Board Auo 7 B070ew01 1280x800 Lcd Screen

So if you order the ebay set, is that all you need? Or do you need the different splitter as well? I have RR WOZ I would love to add this mod to.

#411 1 year ago

For mine I needed the splitter as well.

#412 1 year ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

For mine I needed the splitter as well.

I assume you tried without the splitter - but what happened when you plugged into the VGA port? The screen should have duplicated but I'm not sure if the small screen would show the whole picture due to the resolution.

#413 1 year ago

I tried several different options but couldn't get the correct screen size for both screens. The powered splitter was the only thing that worked for mine..

#414 1 year ago

If you go back to page 7 are some of my other failed attempts.

#415 1 year ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

I tried several different options but couldn't get the correct screen size for both screens. The powered splitter was the only thing that worked for mine..

can you confirm that your apron screen is 1280x800 and can handle the 1920x1080 it gets from the splitter ?

#416 1 year ago

My screen is 1290x800.

#417 1 year ago

This is exact model I am using.

IMG_6993 (resized).PNG

#418 1 year ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

My screen is 1290x800.

so that means your large LCD is also on 1280x800 now as the splitter gives the same output to both VGA channels

#419 1 year ago

Correct. This works woz because isn't HD.

#420 1 year ago

My RR woz is 1080 though... so this once again isn't going to work for the HD monitors that the RR is using.

#421 1 year ago

The monitor on my WoZ should be hi def as well. I was referring to how the movie WOZ was filmed. I'm pretty confident this will work on all the machines.

#422 1 year ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

My RR woz is 1080 though... so this once again isn't going to work for the HD monitors that the RR is using.

My wozrr is also 1080 and my hobbit also. This will work.

#423 1 year ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

My wozrr is also 1080 and my hobbit also. This will work.

my WOZRR is 1080p as well. pardon my ignorance, but won't this solution be downscaling the resolution somehow? is it only downscaling for the small screen, or will the large screen be affected as well?

#424 1 year ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

my WOZRR is 1080p as well. pardon my ignorance, but won't this solution be downscaling the resolution somehow? is it only downscaling for the small screen, or will the large screen be affected as well?

If I understand all correctly both screens will be on the same resolution 1280x800. And even if the game is giving 1920x1080 to the screens it will prob work (most 1280x800 7" screens can do 1080).

Big difference is that with this solution you use only 1 vga connector and the splitter just send the same signal to the 2 screens

#425 1 year ago

That's really the best you can hope for with a splitter solution. It doesn't perform any sort of scaling.

#426 1 year ago

A concern everyone needs to take into account is that not everyone will have the same resolution monitor, VGA, DVI, or even the 1080 27" monitors. My Vision pro even has an odd resolution rate. In any case be careful what 7" LCD you purchase and make sure it will marry with your pin.

#427 1 year ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

A concern everyone needs to take into account is that not everyone will have the same resolution monitor, VGA, DVI, or even the 1080 27" monitors. My Vision pro even has an odd resolution rate. In any case be careful what 7" LCD you purchase and make sure it will marry with your pin.

+1

Do your research, or you'll end up with a bunch of parts that will be useless to you. Also beware of monitors that have a very short ribbon cable. The unit I purchased has about 1 1/2" (4cm) of length to it, and this makes It very problematic when mounting the driver board. Mine essentially hangs there and becomes disconnected on occasion.

20170511_184953 (resized).jpg
20170511_185152 (resized).jpg

#428 1 year ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

+1
Do your research, or you'll end up with a bunch of parts that will be useless to you. Also beware of monitors that have a very short ribbon cable. The unit I purchased has about 1 1/2" (4cm) of length to it, and this makes It makes very problematic when mounting the driver board. Mine essentially hangs there and becomes disconnected on occasion.

And it will eventually just not work after repeated lifts of the PF. This mod is awesome but my god you have to be careful it is so fragile.

#429 1 year ago

For the thin monitors ... is there enough room for them under the glass on top of a ECLE wood apron? Can someone measure their monitor thickness to give me a idea on if it would fit?

#430 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

And it will eventually just not work after repeated lifts of the PF. This mod is awesome but my god you have to be careful it is so fragile.

Right. Mine is extremely fragile, because of the length of the ribbon cable. I have to be extra careful when closing the coin door, as the coin mech brackets will bump into the driver board. Having a longer ribbon cable would have given me better mounting options.

#431 1 year ago

I'll get to buying one of these and installing it on my WOZ LE eventually, but for you guys with short cables you should be able to get a jumper. Those flat cables are FFC or FPC. Here's a link to mouser that you should be able to pick and choose and maybe find something that will work for you. We use these quite a bit at work and they kind of suck (and they really aren't meant to dangle or be plugged/unplugged often).

http://www.mouser.com/search/refine.aspx?N=17414460

1 month later
#432 1 year ago

Anybody have the Keith patch? I want to try something

7 months later
#433 1 year ago

Did the 6.61 update in December fix the resolution and scaling problem?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 8,500.00
Pinball Machine
PinballSTAR Amusements
Machine - For Sale
Imperial, MO
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 156.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
8,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Arlington, VA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 9,500.00
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Concord, NH
$ 50.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 433 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside