(Topic ID: 128036)

Wizard of Oz Pinball - APRON SCREEN (MOD)

By levi_br

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What did you think about this WOZ mod? (Maybe I will post a tutorial for this)”

• Love 149 votes
    71%
  • Like 55 votes
    26%
  • Hate 6 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 210 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170511_185152 (resized).jpg
20170511_184953 (resized).jpg
IMG_6993 (resized).PNG
IMG_6988 (resized).JPG
IMG_6987 (resized).JPG
IMG_6986 (resized).JPG
20161117_174429 (resized).jpg
ApronMonitor02 (resized).jpg
ApronMonitor03 (resized).jpg
ApronMonitor01 (resized).jpg
woz-resolution2 (resized).jpg
woz-resolution1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0330 (resized).JPG
IMG_5126 (resized).JPG
IMG_5125 (resized).JPG
image_5.jpg
There are 462 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 10.
#401 6 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

Great, anyone has a link to a 1920x1024 7" lcd used ? Incl the correct hardware etc.
Think this will also work with the hobbit screen.

If this is just splitting/duplicating the VGA output, and the screen handles 1920 resolution, then yes it will work on TH. The previous LCD that was being used was only up to 720p so needed to be downscaled

#402 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

If this is just splitting/duplicating the VGA output, and the screen handles 1920 resolution, then yes it will work on TH. The previous LCD that was being used was only up to 720p so needed to be downscaled

Yes its just duplicating so it will work.

#403 6 years ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

I think I've figured it out.

Nice!, thats a sexy apron you have there

#404 6 years ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

I used a powered vga splitter. Used the VGA port in the back of the monitor and connected the small monitor up and turned it on. Powered vga splitter uses a USB port in the back of the computer to power it. Vga splitter is about $27.00 similar to this. amazon.com link »

Im interested to see others try this on different models of WoZ to see the results, I hope the converting done in the splitter fixes all the issues for all models

#405 6 years ago

I think that both woz and hobbit models build end of 2016 and later are using the DVI connector on the main screen. My dec 2016 wozrr and my feb 2017 hobbit do. Both have 1920x1080 displays

#406 6 years ago

I took my apron off to have something custom made that makes the extra screen look factory. I'll take pictures when it's done. Chosen_s brings up a good point about what model it is. I've a got a late model Emerald city.

#407 6 years ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

I took my apron off to have something custom made that makes the extra screen look factory. I'll take pictures when it's done. Chosen_s brings up a good point about what model it is. I've a got a late model Emerald city.

Do you have a link to the apron screen you bought ?

#408 6 years ago

It's similar to this. There are cheaper models on eBay now.
ebay.com link: HDMI VGA 2AV LCD Controller Board AUO 7 B070EW01 1280X800 Lcd screen

#409 6 years ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

ebay.com link » Hdmi Vga 2av Lcd Controller Board Auo 7 B070ew01 1280x800 Lcd Screen

thanks, ordered 2 sets, 1 for woz and 1 for hobbit.

#410 6 years ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

ebay.com link » Hdmi Vga 2av Lcd Controller Board Auo 7 B070ew01 1280x800 Lcd Screen

So if you order the ebay set, is that all you need? Or do you need the different splitter as well? I have RR WOZ I would love to add this mod to.

#411 6 years ago

For mine I needed the splitter as well.

#412 6 years ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

For mine I needed the splitter as well.

I assume you tried without the splitter - but what happened when you plugged into the VGA port? The screen should have duplicated but I'm not sure if the small screen would show the whole picture due to the resolution.

#413 6 years ago

I tried several different options but couldn't get the correct screen size for both screens. The powered splitter was the only thing that worked for mine..

#414 6 years ago

If you go back to page 7 are some of my other failed attempts.

#415 6 years ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

I tried several different options but couldn't get the correct screen size for both screens. The powered splitter was the only thing that worked for mine..

can you confirm that your apron screen is 1280x800 and can handle the 1920x1080 it gets from the splitter ?

#416 6 years ago

My screen is 1290x800.

#417 6 years ago

This is exact model I am using.

IMG_6993 (resized).PNGIMG_6993 (resized).PNG

#418 6 years ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

My screen is 1290x800.

so that means your large LCD is also on 1280x800 now as the splitter gives the same output to both VGA channels

#419 6 years ago

Correct. This works woz because isn't HD.

#420 6 years ago

My RR woz is 1080 though... so this once again isn't going to work for the HD monitors that the RR is using.

#421 6 years ago

The monitor on my WoZ should be hi def as well. I was referring to how the movie WOZ was filmed. I'm pretty confident this will work on all the machines.

#422 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

My RR woz is 1080 though... so this once again isn't going to work for the HD monitors that the RR is using.

My wozrr is also 1080 and my hobbit also. This will work.

#423 6 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

My wozrr is also 1080 and my hobbit also. This will work.

my WOZRR is 1080p as well. pardon my ignorance, but won't this solution be downscaling the resolution somehow? is it only downscaling for the small screen, or will the large screen be affected as well?

#424 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

my WOZRR is 1080p as well. pardon my ignorance, but won't this solution be downscaling the resolution somehow? is it only downscaling for the small screen, or will the large screen be affected as well?

If I understand all correctly both screens will be on the same resolution 1280x800. And even if the game is giving 1920x1080 to the screens it will prob work (most 1280x800 7" screens can do 1080).

Big difference is that with this solution you use only 1 vga connector and the splitter just send the same signal to the 2 screens

#425 6 years ago

That's really the best you can hope for with a splitter solution. It doesn't perform any sort of scaling.

#426 6 years ago

A concern everyone needs to take into account is that not everyone will have the same resolution monitor, VGA, DVI, or even the 1080 27" monitors. My Vision pro even has an odd resolution rate. In any case be careful what 7" LCD you purchase and make sure it will marry with your pin.

#427 6 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

A concern everyone needs to take into account is that not everyone will have the same resolution monitor, VGA, DVI, or even the 1080 27" monitors. My Vision pro even has an odd resolution rate. In any case be careful what 7" LCD you purchase and make sure it will marry with your pin.

+1

Do your research, or you'll end up with a bunch of parts that will be useless to you. Also beware of monitors that have a very short ribbon cable. The unit I purchased has about 1 1/2" (4cm) of length to it, and this makes It very problematic when mounting the driver board. Mine essentially hangs there and becomes disconnected on occasion.

20170511_184953 (resized).jpg20170511_184953 (resized).jpg
20170511_185152 (resized).jpg20170511_185152 (resized).jpg

#428 6 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

+1
Do your research, or you'll end up with a bunch of parts that will be useless to you. Also beware of monitors that have a very short ribbon cable. The unit I purchased has about 1 1/2" (4cm) of length to it, and this makes It makes very problematic when mounting the driver board. Mine essentially hangs there and becomes disconnected on occasion.

And it will eventually just not work after repeated lifts of the PF. This mod is awesome but my god you have to be careful it is so fragile.

#429 6 years ago

For the thin monitors ... is there enough room for them under the glass on top of a ECLE wood apron? Can someone measure their monitor thickness to give me a idea on if it would fit?

#430 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

And it will eventually just not work after repeated lifts of the PF. This mod is awesome but my god you have to be careful it is so fragile.

Right. Mine is extremely fragile, because of the length of the ribbon cable. I have to be extra careful when closing the coin door, as the coin mech brackets will bump into the driver board. Having a longer ribbon cable would have given me better mounting options.

#431 6 years ago

I'll get to buying one of these and installing it on my WOZ LE eventually, but for you guys with short cables you should be able to get a jumper. Those flat cables are FFC or FPC. Here's a link to mouser that you should be able to pick and choose and maybe find something that will work for you. We use these quite a bit at work and they kind of suck (and they really aren't meant to dangle or be plugged/unplugged often).

http://www.mouser.com/search/refine.aspx?N=17414460

1 month later
#432 6 years ago

Anybody have the Keith patch? I want to try something

7 months later
#433 6 years ago

Did the 6.61 update in December fix the resolution and scaling problem?

1 year later
#434 4 years ago

I still want one of these displays. Need to do some reading.
Did someone make an ECLE frame for this didplay?

#435 4 years ago

Renewing this thread is great! I need to know what the best current solution is. Can some one list which parts to buy?

#436 4 years ago

I’d like another try as well... the scaling was messed up (on the apron screen) before when using a small screen and duplicating the hdmi signal to it. Don’t have a clue if an update fixed the issue or not

#437 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I’d like another try as well... the scaling was messed up (on the apron screen) before when using a small screen and duplicating the hdmi signal to it. Don’t have a clue if an update fixed the issue or not

The scaling issue was never resolved, 6.61 does not fix it. So unless there's an external scaler in the mix, it may never work

#438 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The scaling issue was never resolved, 6.61 does not fix it. So unless there's an external scaler in the mix, it may never work

I think this is simply a linux display config issue. Has anyone tested 7.x?

#439 4 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

I think this is simply a linux display config issue. Has anyone tested 7.x?

It is *fixable* - see earlier in the thread. But JJP needs to fix it, unless someone figures out the dongle decryption.

I was able to get it to boot and reconfig the display in rc.local , but it really needs to be fixed in the image so it doesn't break on updates.

#440 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It is *fixable* - see earlier in the thread. But JJP needs to fix it, unless someone figures out the dongle decryption.
I was able to get it to boot and reconfig the display in rc.local , but it really needs to be fixed in the image so it doesn't break on updates.

Has anyone filed a support request? That seems like the best way to communicate this bug/regression so that it's tracked.

#441 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

So this has never been successfully done then? I thought it was.

#442 4 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

So this has never been successfully done then? I thought it was.

It was, then code 5.5 I believe broke it

#443 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

It was, then code 5.5 I believe broke it

Correct

#445 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

A splitter wont work?

We’ve all experimented with different things, the woz screen is 1080, I think the Chinese apron screens we were working with at the time were 720, pre 5.05 the computer could send both resolutions or maybe just 720, and both monitors would scale correctly even sacrificing resolution on the main monitor. Post 5.05, the signal is 1080 only and the small aftermarket screens wouldn’t scale properly, no matter the converter or splitter used. That’s where we ran out of gas trying.

Someone proposed a code fix that wasn’t public, and it worked, but unknown if it actually was implemented to fix the issue.

#446 4 years ago

Yeah, the code checked the max supported resolution of the display screen, then mirrored and re-scaled it dynamically. I submitted it awhile back, but I don't think it ever made it in. The apron monitor is an unsupported mod and I understand why JJP is hasn't implemented it. I was just hoping they would.

I'm trying to remember, but I think they locked the main display resolution to support the different monitors that were put into these woz cabinets over the years. I could be totally wrong.

#447 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

We’ve all experimented with different things, the woz screen is 1080, I think the Chinese apron screens we were working with at the time were 720, pre 5.05 the computer could send both resolutions or maybe just 720, and both monitors would scale correctly even sacrificing resolution on the main monitor. Post 5.05, the signal is 1080 only and the small aftermarket screens wouldn’t scale properly, no matter the converter or splitter used. That’s where we ran out of gas trying.
Someone proposed a code fix that wasn’t public, and it worked, but unknown if it actually was implemented to fix the issue.

its 2019. No one sells a 5 inch or 7 inch 1080 display?

#448 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

A splitter wont work?

It works, but it harms the quality of the main display.
On mine, the main display is now running 1366x768

#449 4 years ago

A couple of weeks ago I inquired as to whether the apron screen and driver board used on Pirates would work on WOZ. Both items were in the Pirates parts store and available. Was told they weren't sure and get back to me. The next day both parts were taken off the parts store. My guess is it would work but only want to sell to Pirates owners. Thoughts?

#450 4 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

A couple of weeks ago I inquired as to whether the apron screen and driver board used on Pirates would work on WOZ. Both items were in the Pirates parts store and available. Was told they weren't sure and get back to me. The next day both parts were taken off the parts store. My guess is it would work but only want to sell to Pirates owners. Thoughts?

That screen is so small anyway on pirates.
What about hobbit screen?
As long as resolution matches, i think any screen would work?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 24.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

13,000 (OBO)
$ 16.95
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 5.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 462 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-pinball-apron-screen-mod/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.