(Topic ID: 128036)

Wizard of Oz Pinball - APRON SCREEN (MOD)

By levi_br

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What did you think about this WOZ mod? (Maybe I will post a tutorial for this)”

• Love 149 votes
    71%
  • Like 55 votes
    26%
  • Hate 6 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 210 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170511_185152 (resized).jpg
20170511_184953 (resized).jpg
IMG_6993 (resized).PNG
IMG_6988 (resized).JPG
IMG_6987 (resized).JPG
IMG_6986 (resized).JPG
20161117_174429 (resized).jpg
ApronMonitor02 (resized).jpg
ApronMonitor03 (resized).jpg
ApronMonitor01 (resized).jpg
woz-resolution2 (resized).jpg
woz-resolution1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0330 (resized).JPG
IMG_5126 (resized).JPG
IMG_5125 (resized).JPG
image_5.jpg
There are 462 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 10.
#301 8 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

are some lower resolution, if so what resolution?

Just quoting from above...

Quoted from KingBW:

On boot up my monitor resolution says 1366x768. I was looking through some of the links of what was purchased, do see that some show 1080p, but not resolutions. If it says it is HD 1080p, will it feasibly work with 1366x768? For example this link that someone else used:

Quoted from pezpunk:

1080p is a resolution - it is 1920 x 1080

And hoping this gets solved as this is a mod I would seriously consider.

#302 8 years ago

My Main Display is posting 1920X1080...

on code 5.05, both my main display (DVI) and secondary (HDMI) were sitting at 1920X1080

now on code 6.06, my main display is at 1920X1080 and displays this at boot up as well (Looks great, just as it should)... but the secondary display is downgrading itself to 1280X768...

Im wandering if the faster boot up that is introduced with 6.06 is not allowing my secondary display enough time to catch the resolution switch from the smaller resolution that is introduced to it at boot up.

#303 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

My Main Display is posting 1920X1080...
on code 5.05, both my main display (DVI) and secondary (HDMI) were sitting at 1920X1080
now on code 6.06, my main display is at 1920X1080 and displays this at boot up as well (Looks great, just as it should)... but the secondary display is downgrading itself to 1280X768...
Im wandering if the faster boot up that is introduced with 6.06 is not allowing my secondary display enough time to catch the resolution switch from the smaller resolution that is introduced to it at boot up.

Could you have the second display unplugged at boot and then plug it in... Perhaps it would get sent the right plug and play info then?

#304 8 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

Could you have the second display unplugged at boot and then plug it in... Perhaps it would get sent the right plug and play info then?

I have tried a dozen different things since my post... The secondary (hdmi in my case) must be getting a strange signal, I can't get my screen to conform at all

#305 8 years ago

Can someone with the 1366 x768 main monitor resolution that made the upgrade to WOZ 6.06, that has one of these apron screen mods working, please chime in and let me (us) know what apron screen you purchased. Thanks!

#306 8 years ago

I'd like to know how it looks with one of the lower resolution apron displays as well.

#307 8 years ago

has anyone asked JJP if it would be possible to get a menu in the UI to specify the resolution of the secondary display? it seems like that would solve all of our problems for all screens and doesnt seem like itd be that hard to code.

#308 8 years ago

Cool idea. I assume this will work on the hobbit in the same fashion?

#309 8 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Can someone with the 1366 x768 main monitor resolution that made the upgrade to WOZ 6.06, that has one of these apron screen mods working, please chime in and let me (us) know what apron screen you purchased. Thanks!

Interested in knowing also!

#310 8 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Interested in knowing also!

Many others as well.

#311 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

has anyone asked JJP if it would be possible to get a menu in the UI to specify the resolution of the secondary display? it seems like that would solve all of our problems for all screens and doesnt seem like itd be that hard to code.

Have you asked them?

I already emailed Jack... Where else can I go?

1 week later
#312 8 years ago

Hey guys ... Keith @ JJP is looking for volunteers on the JJP google groups to "experiment" with a code update that may or may not fix related problems with this mod. He is strongly expressing that it is just an experiment and is looking for feedback. You can maybe email him to get the file for that update also. If it causes issues, you would just re-install version 6.06.

#313 8 years ago

Sorry.. posted reply to wrong topic

#314 8 years ago

New WoZ owner here...I have the dual screen (came installed) and now have this issue when I updated the software.
How do I email Keith? Do I go through the JJP support page or is there a different adddress specifically for WoZ.

Game is great so far!

#315 8 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

How do I email Keith?

I just PM 'd you on your pinside account.

#316 8 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

New WoZ owner here...I have the dual screen (came installed) and now have this issue when I updated the software.
How do I email Keith? Do I go through the JJP support page or is there a different adddress specifically for WoZ.
Game is great so far!

It's a DIY mod, so technically not supported by JJP. Keith is unofficially working on it, but no timeline on when or if it will get solved.

#317 8 years ago

What other company would work on their code for it to work with a mod. That is amazing. Great job JJP....

#318 8 years ago

Most companies that I know of would simply say, "sorry, it's not sold by us so unsupported" and leave it at that. So if Keith is able to find the time between working on WOZ and TH to figure this out for us that's fantastic. I'm grateful that Keith is even looking into it.

#319 8 years ago

Yes. I really want to do the mod, but only if it can be made to work. I wonder if the hobbit will need this mod and will it work?

#320 8 years ago

JJP "could" market a bottom apron with this mod built in and ready to go for all their pins (WOZ, Hobbit, future pins) ... if they wanted to make a few extra bucks. I would buy it. How cool would that be? That could be another niche and uniqueness that JJP can corner and cash in on. JMO

3 weeks later
#321 8 years ago

Just wondering if anyone knows a way to do this with stern and bally/williams? I I know I could do it with buying dmd extender but just wondering if there is a way without that board??

#322 8 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

Just wondering if anyone knows a way to do this with stern and bally/williams? I I know I could do it with buying dmd extender but just wondering if there is a way without that board??

Nah. The reason it's so easy with JJP is because there is basically a PC with a spare VGA Out port on it in the cabinet. The dots that a Bally/Williams spits out are nothing like a regular VGA stream.

#323 8 years ago

Yeah kinda figured that thanks

#324 8 years ago

So is it true that the apron screen mod doesn't display correctly with the new code regardless of resolution of the display used?

#325 8 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

So is it true that the apron screen mod doesn't display correctly with the new code regardless of resolution of the display used?

I have RR and my main screen is 1080, and my apron screen is 1080, and the apron screen doesn't display correctly with 6.06

6 months later
#326 7 years ago

Any news on the apron screen mod?

I find this is the only game I actyally own where I need to look at the display during play.

#327 7 years ago

Dying to hear this is working again. I really need it for hobbit!!

#328 7 years ago

I think it's pretty much up to jjp supporting it, I took mine out, I got tired of looking at a non working apron display

#329 7 years ago

The only 7" screens out there are 720, even though some advertise as 1080, they are not (as far as my research has gone) ... we either need a scaler to scale down the 1080p signal down to 720, or jjp needs to support the scale change when a 720 display is detected for the secondary display (this may be out of question)

Anyone able to find an inexpensive scaler to place inline with the 7" display board and the jjp computer?

#330 7 years ago

Did you tested only the second output?

Maybe someone can check what happens if we take a hdmi-Splitter on output 1 and double the signal.
Maybe that works...

#331 7 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Did you tested only the second output?
Maybe someone can check what happens if we take a hdmi-Splitter on output 1 and double the signal.
Maybe that works...

I was wondering the same
Thing. Can we not just use an hdmi splitter?

#332 7 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I was wondering the same
Thing. Can we not just use an hdmi splitter?

I wonder if it would have to be a powered splitter.

#333 7 years ago

I executed both ways, I used a power hdmi / dvi splitter, and used dvi to hdmi. (Or something like that) it's been a year or so...

I pretty much did everything I could, I spent close to $250 trying everything I found on eBay and Amazon. Everything was working until 6.06, then the video signal wouldn't agree with my screen.

If you guys figure it out I'll be super excited to pull all my stuff out again and plug it back in.

I'll try and remember to get all my stuff together and take pics of what I was using

Edit:
What I think we may need is a scaler that will down grade the 1080 signal to 720

#334 7 years ago

Hmm can you test if the small screen runs directly on the first output, without the standard screen?

If not, it may is a problem with the 1080 / 720 scaling.

And to verify it will help to test a normal LCD pc-screen on first output.

#335 7 years ago

I did test the little screen all by itself, and it had the same problem, I'll try and drag up a computer monitor to test it with

#336 7 years ago

Keith (at JJP) tried something with the code after 6.06 for a few to test, but that did not work. He likely had/has higher priorities with Dialed In, the last of TH code changes, and whatever new pin is next in line. If there is enough of a demand, maybe he can give this another look. Guessing it is a OS issue more than a JJP software issue. I'm following and interested if someone comes up with a solution. Maybe Hooked can come up with a way to get the second screen working and modify aprons for it.

With the Dialed In Bluetooth technology, maybe on future pins JJP can have the option for the second screen be right on your phone/ipad that you can set on the bottom of the glass when the other game related modes are not being activated. This obviously doesn't help WOZ or TH second screens, but thinking forward ...

#337 7 years ago

I would be interested in this as well

#338 7 years ago

This is a little off the subject I always wanted to crystal ball to be the LCD screen duplicate so this would be incredible if it could be done.

#339 7 years ago

Spent some time looking at this last night.. I wanted to confirm that basically this change needs to be done by JJP. Since the video output is set to 1080p for the backbox screen, the version of Ubuntu (the O/S) that runs the computer will need a tweak to output at a different resolution. Totally possible to do, but there are a huge number of variables. If JJP isn't using the exact same hardware in every single game it gets complicated fast.

That said, the easiest thing to do would be is to scale the backbox screen resolution down to 720p so both outputs are the same. I don't know if this is possible with the way they have programmed the scoring overlays on top of the video - but in theory it should work. That kind of sucks, but there's almost no way with the small screen in the backbox that you could tell the difference.
bummer...

I'd be willing to give some things a try though, maybe I'll get in touch w/ Keith.

#340 7 years ago

With 5.05 code the back box and the smaller screen both automatically scaled to 720., and that's why it worked for me. But after 606 came along it seemed that 1080 was locked in. No big deal we just need a video scaler to scale down the image for us on the way to the smaller screen. The only video scalars that I'm finding are in the $200 range that can accomplish this. Can anyone out there find a resource for a less expensive video scaler?

Another question, if you're wanting to send the video signal to a wireless smart device, does a transmitting video encoder that works off of Bluetooth exist? I haven't had a chance to look

#341 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

With 5.05 code the back box and the smaller screen both automatically scaled to 720., and that's why it worked for me. But after 606 came along it seemed that 1080 was locked in. No big deal we just need a video scaler to scale down the image for us on the way to the smaller screen. The only video scalars that I'm finding are in the $200 range that can accomplish this. Can anyone out there find a resource for a less expensive video scaler?
Another question, if you're wanting to send the video signal to a wireless smart device, does a transmitting video encoder that works off of Bluetooth exist? I haven't had a chance to look

Maybe I missed this - but what about using something like this: ebay.com link: DC12V 800 x 480 7 Inch TFT LCD HDMI 1080P AV VGA 2 CH IN Car Rear View Monitor

You could easily remove the bezel, and the display seems to handle the downconverting (there's no way that's a true 1080p display at that size)

#342 7 years ago

Do they really not make small 1080p displays? I've never shopped for them, but I find it hard to believe that for the cost of a 720p display plus the cost of a $200 scaler, you couldn't just find a 1080 display and use a generic splitter

#343 7 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Do they really not make small 1080p displays? I've never shopped for them, but I find it hard to believe that for the cost of a 720p display plus the cost of a $200 scaler, you couldn't just find a 1080 display and use a generic splitter

Unfortunately for us, some of us with older WOZs have odd pin displays of 1366x768 (so it shows on boot up). Last I heard is that it "self-adjusts" to the lowest resolution that is connected. But I think that changed a bit in version 6.06 from what I read earlier in this thread - not positive on that.

#344 7 years ago

I have a ruby red with a 1080 P monitor, I went and purchased an as advertised 7 inch 1080 P display to mirror the image of the black box monitor. It worked with 5.05, now not with 6.06. I'm guessing even though my 7 inch display was advertised as 1080 P, I'm guessing that it is not actually 1080 P that it's actually 720 ...

Does a true 1080 P7 inch display actually exist? Who knows

#345 7 years ago

I am one with a main 1366x768 monitor. If the smaller 7" displays are actually 720p (which is 1366x768?) not 1080p, should they not work since the output video is 720p?

#346 7 years ago

I have a 1366x768 monitor and a 720p small screen. Worked fine with 5.05. Not working with 6.06.

#347 7 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Dying to hear this is working again. I really need it for hobbit!!

Which screen would you be mirroring?

The book or the main?

The book should be easy seeing its just a vga connector so you could just use a vga splitter.

I have some spare mini lcd's i'll have hunt around and see if I can test out a splitter on my hobbit.

#348 7 years ago

After finally updating to the new code I started working a fix. I'm close but not there yet.

IMG_5125 (resized).JPGIMG_5125 (resized).JPG

IMG_5126 (resized).JPGIMG_5126 (resized).JPG

#349 7 years ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

After finally updating to the new code I started working a fix. I'm close but not there yet.

whats up! you've gotten closer than me so far. what have you implemented?

#350 7 years ago

I installed Keith's little patch, it didn't fully restore my mod, but it did fix my work around.

IMG_0330 (resized).JPGIMG_0330 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
13,000 (OBO)
$ 24.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 16.95
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 5.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 462 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-pinball-apron-screen-mod/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.