(Topic ID: 128036)

Wizard of Oz Pinball - APRON SCREEN (MOD)

By levi_br

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What did you think about this WOZ mod? (Maybe I will post a tutorial for this)”

• Love 149 votes
    71%
  • Like 55 votes
    26%
  • Hate 6 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 210 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170511_185152 (resized).jpg
20170511_184953 (resized).jpg
IMG_6993 (resized).PNG
IMG_6988 (resized).JPG
IMG_6987 (resized).JPG
IMG_6986 (resized).JPG
20161117_174429 (resized).jpg
ApronMonitor02 (resized).jpg
ApronMonitor03 (resized).jpg
ApronMonitor01 (resized).jpg
woz-resolution2 (resized).jpg
woz-resolution1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0330 (resized).JPG
IMG_5126 (resized).JPG
IMG_5125 (resized).JPG
image_5.jpg
There are 462 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.
#251 8 years ago
Quoted from TxJay:

I believe he was just using a spare monitor he had to test the theory. I don't believe this monitor is for the apron mod. Correct me if I am wrong Pez!

ok, thanks. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I just wanted to confirm the one I have will work before installing...I don't want to get stuck with an $80.- light bulb.

#252 8 years ago

I think I've come up with a viable solution for some. My apron screen board came with both VGA and HDMI in. First I tried the cheap way by using a DVI splitter and adapter to HDMI. It worked, but ONLY when 1 screen was plugged in. If both were plugged in neither screen got video. My guess is that the video card can't/won't get a proper handshake with the 2 monitors.

Next attempt was to take the VGA signal and run it through a VGA to HDMI converter. Success!

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

We have a winner!
The converter ran me $42

#253 8 years ago

Do you have a link?

#254 8 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

Do you have a link?

That looks high on the price, Amazon has a few for alot less, wander if the quality is different?

#255 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

That looks high on the price, Amazon has a few for alot less, wander if the quality is different?

I was wondering that myself.

Seems like there are a lot cheaper options available on Amazon.

#256 8 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I was wondering that myself.
Seems like there are a lot cheaper options available on Amazon.

Canada. Everything here is more expensive.

#257 8 years ago

Actual price was $37, plus tax. I'm sure you guys south of the border can find the same for less. Only thing I did was to make sure it would handle the 1920 x 1080 input. They had a slightly cheaper one, but the input resolution didn't go high enough, and I didn't want to take a chance.

Unfortunately the place I go to doesn't do mail order. If anyone in the GTA wants to know where I got it feel free to msg me. The main point of my post was more to say that this is one possible workaround. Hope this helps!

#258 8 years ago

BTW, if anyone wants a gently used DVI splitter......... only used once.

#259 8 years ago

So I guess something like this would work? OREI XD-600 VGA PC/Laptop to HDMI Video Converter

http://www.amazon.com/XD-600-Laptop-Video-Converter-Upscaler/dp/B00IUJJHAW

#260 8 years ago
Quoted from robotronjohn:

So I guess something like this would work? OREI XD-600 VGA PC/Laptop to HDMI Video Converter
amazon.com link »

I'm not entirely sure. It doesn't list 1920 x 1080 as an input resolution.

Edit: whoops, didn't read the bottom section where that resolution actually is listed. So it should work.

#261 8 years ago

I'd also check to make sure your Mini-screen will handle the HDMI 1080p input. I hooked mine up to a blu ray player to test.

#262 8 years ago

I must admit I don't have a WOZ but this thread was interesting and I decided to follow it. I do want one one day. But I must also admit I am waiting on JJP3 first.

#263 8 years ago

Phantom,

Are you splitting the VGA signal to the main monitor and to the converter? Or are you running DVI to the main screen? Just trying to confirm the entire hookup.

On a different note, since my main screen is VGA, I'm wondering if I can just split it and run VGA to the apron screen as well...

#264 8 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

Phantom,
Are you splitting the VGA signal to the main monitor and to the converter? Or are you running DVI to the main screen? Just trying to confirm the entire hookup.
On a different note, since my main screen is VGA, I'm wondering if I can just split it and run VGA to the apron screen as well...

My main screen is fed by the DVI port. I'm taking the VGA directly into the converter, then the HDMI output of the converter goes to the mini screen board.

Since VGA is analog you should be able to split the VGA signal without any handshake issues, I suspect that's what I ran into when I tried to split the DVI signal. Before buying the converter, I'd test it first by picking up the VGA splitter (cheap) and hooking up the two monitors. It won't display properly on the mini-screen using the VGA port, but at least it will tell you that you can drive two devices.

#265 8 years ago

FIFTY BUCKS??!!

#266 8 years ago

Sorry guys, but for whatever reason old monitors that we shipped with at 1360x768 were only coming up in 1280x1024 on our new 14.04 base. Therefore I try to set VGA1 (only 1360x768 monitors used vga) to 1360 and they come up correctly. I don't try to force any other port to 1360. Also, as you noted, if you have something else hooked up to it that doesn't support 1360x768, it should just fail and come up what it defaults to.

I'm guessing the driver board for your monitor is claiming it honors 1360x768, so the mode set works, but in reality it doesn't know what to do with that signal.

#267 8 years ago
Quoted from Phantom1911:

I'd also check to make sure your Mini-screen will handle the HDMI 1080p input. I hooked mine up to a blu ray player to test.

Phantom, which apron display you using?

#268 8 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Phantom, which apron display you using?

I went with this one. I couldn't find one that did full HD.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/7-Inches-1024-600-IPS-Screen-Display-LCD-TFT-Monitor-EJ070NA-01J-with-Remote-Driver-Control/32341986482.html

Even though the native resolution is 1024x600 the board seems to be able to scale the 1080p signal on the HDMI port.

#269 8 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

ok, thanks. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I just wanted to confirm the one I have will work before installing...I don't want to get stuck with an $80.- light bulb.

Can you just hook it up without doing all the installation work to see if it works properly? I want to order the same thing but since you already have one I'm hoping you'll be the guinea pig for me in case it doesn't work!

#270 8 years ago

Cleaned up my install and took some pics.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

The white thing is a dual USB power source, normally used for charging phones,iPods/iPads etc. I'm using it to power the VGA to HDMI converter and the mini screen board. The black wall wart powers my led tree eyes/flipper button mods.

#271 8 years ago

Nice install. Looks professional.

#272 8 years ago

I got the white one from Amazon, did the trick, but doesn't stretch the image all the way to the edges

#273 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I got the white one from Amazon, did the trick, but doesn't stretch the image all the way to the edges

Mine does the same thing. Doesn't quite fill the screen, but at least now it's usable.

Better a little small than way too big.

#274 8 years ago

Anyone emailed Keith?
Since there will be another update it would be nice for a fix before Woz software is possibly not touched again

#275 8 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Anyone emailed Keith?
Since there will be another update it would be nice for a fix before Woz software is possibly not touched again

Have a link? I emailed Jack about the social media page being an option. No response yet

#276 8 years ago

If you are on twitter you can tweet him i guess? dont know his email

https://twitter.com/pinballkeefer?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

1 week later
#277 8 years ago

Did the bally Williams tutorial ever develop in its own thread? If so never saw.

#278 8 years ago
Quoted from Curbfeeler:

Did the bally Williams tutorial ever develop in its own thread? If so never saw.

I haven't seen it either.

My guess, it's hasn't happened yet.

#279 8 years ago

Any problems with this mod and version 5.05 patch software? I've heard of video problems with the new patch and wondering if there are any bad effects on this remote screen mod.

#280 8 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Any problems with this mod and version 5.05 patch software? I've heard of video problems with the new patch and wondering if there are any bad effects on this remote screen mod.

Not if your screen is the same native resolution as your main monitor. For example, my monitor is 1080p native and so is the screen i tested with, and it worked fine. It seems there are now issues if you get an apron screen that is a different native resolution than your main monitor. Different build dates have different monitors -- you can see what your resolution is at bootup.

#281 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Not if your screen is the same native resolution as your main monitor. For example, my monitor is 1080p native and so is the screen i tested with, and it worked fine. It seems there are now issues if you get an apron screen that is a different native resolution than your main monitor. Different build dates have different monitors -- you can see what your resolution is at bootup.

On boot up my monitor resolution says 1366x768. I was looking through some of the links of what was purchased, do see that some show 1080p, but not resolutions. If it says it is HD 1080p, will it feasibly work with 1366x768? For example this link that someone else used:
http://www.amazon.com/Resolution-1080P-Desktop-Digital-Display/dp/B00N7BUBHQ
A little more expensive but shows it is 1080p HD.

#282 8 years ago

1080p is a resolution - it is 1920 x 1080. yours is 1366x768, so ideally you would want to find a screen that matches that, or you may get weird results.

#283 8 years ago

Looks like it is best for me to wait until I try the version 5.05+ patch with the fixes for the patch to see what the resolution turns out to be. I have not attempted version 5.05 yet ... waiting for the related code fixes coming ... any ... day ... now.

#284 8 years ago

What are you guys using as a bezel on the lcd? From some of the cpitures it seems like a black vinyl sticker or something.

#285 8 years ago

I went to a craft store and bought strips of colorful tape that I cut to fit the metal edges , looks nice

#286 8 years ago

I do one of these apron displays on my Pinbot 2.0 project where I'm making new rules for an existing machine. Just wanted to say that the first screen I bought didn't end up having a very good viewing angle. I accidentally broke it. Then the second one was an IPS display. It was like 1000x better from all angles, much truer colors, etc. I would highly recommend this if you are going to be doing this type of mod to your machine.

Dan

Link: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/annoucing-pinbot-20-p-roc-edition#post-2604846
Looks a lot better in person. They don't tend to film well, but it's very bright and colorful.

#287 8 years ago

For those doing this mod with the mid-apron placement, could a bouncing ball sdtm hit and damage the screen? Anybody had any problems with that?

#288 8 years ago

I haven't had a problem and I've got the screen in the middle.

#289 8 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

For those doing this mod with the mid-apron placement, could a bouncing ball sdtm hit and damage the screen? Anybody had any problems with that?

No problem yet here either

#290 8 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

do you get a lot of balls stuck on the apron?

if the answer is yes then i think something needs adjusting.

#291 8 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

That would be impossible for that to happen.

#292 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

do you get a lot of balls stuck on the apron?
if the answer is yes then i think something needs adjusting.

There is "Just" enough room between the glass and the apron to put the screen in. Probably 1/4 of an inch. If you get a ball stuck up in there, I think "adjusting" is the least of your problems.

#293 8 years ago
Quoted from redmamanora:

That would be impossible for that to happen.

It looks pretty possible. Seems like on the middle mount the apron dips low enough that the screen hangs over (just from pics, I haven't tried it) and I'm worried a fly ball could crunch the edge.

1 week later
#294 8 years ago
Quoted from koops:

What are you guys using as a bezel on the lcd? From some of the cpitures it seems like a black vinyl sticker or something.

I took the case off my screen and just spray painted it black, then put it back together.

#295 8 years ago

So with the new code, will I be alright to make this mod if I use a 1080p monitor?

#296 8 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

So with the new code, will I be alright to make this mod if I use a 1080p monitor?

If your main monitor is 1080p, yes. It should say what res it is on boot up. Earlier monitors are not.

2 months later
#297 8 years ago

I updated my Woz to 6.06... Really cool update

But now my screen mods resolution is messed up again. Even though I have a 1080 screen... The screen has no adjustments to change the resolution , it just does it automatically... Searching out a new screen, arggghhhhbh

#298 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

But now my screen mods resolution is messed up again. Even though I have a 1080 screen... The screen has no adjustments to change the resolution , it just does it automatically... Searching out a new screen, arggghhhhbh

Damn, I've been waiting to hear how this code affects this mod, hopefully some people that have the lower resolution screens will chime in too. Does your main display show as 1080 on the bootup information?

#299 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

can you give more information? what is the resolution the main screen reports on boot up? what are you seeing on the apron screen? (wrong aspect ratio? cropping? something else?)

#300 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

are some lower resolution, if so what resolution?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 16.95
$ 91.00
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 462 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-pinball-apron-screen-mod/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.