(Topic ID: 128036)

Wizard of Oz Pinball - APRON SCREEN (MOD)

By levi_br

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What did you think about this WOZ mod? (Maybe I will post a tutorial for this)”

• Love 149 votes
    71%
  • Like 55 votes
    26%
  • Hate 6 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 210 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170511_185152 (resized).jpg
20170511_184953 (resized).jpg
IMG_6993 (resized).PNG
IMG_6988 (resized).JPG
IMG_6987 (resized).JPG
IMG_6986 (resized).JPG
20161117_174429 (resized).jpg
ApronMonitor02 (resized).jpg
ApronMonitor03 (resized).jpg
ApronMonitor01 (resized).jpg
woz-resolution2 (resized).jpg
woz-resolution1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0330 (resized).JPG
IMG_5126 (resized).JPG
IMG_5125 (resized).JPG
image_5.jpg
There are 462 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.
#151 8 years ago

No problem tex. I was so impressed with it, I bought another one for the Hobbit when it comes, but then realized TH has two screens, so maybe both of the video ports are used, so I may have to do a little Cable adjustment. Good luck.

#152 8 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

No problem tex. I was so impressed with it, I bought another one for the Hobbit when it comes, but then realized TH has two screens, so maybe both of the video ports are used, so I may have to do a little Cable adjustment. Good luck.

WOZ has two video screens as well, remember the crystal ball?

#153 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

WOZ has two video screens as well, remember the crystal ball?

True. It has it's own micro SD card too. It doesn't use one of the video ports.

#154 8 years ago

I got my screen in, I'll be doing this mod soon,
I believe I'll be using command strips to connect the screen to the apron.

The command strips will be easy to remove and leave no residue when removed, thus making the mod completely reversible...

http://m.target.com/p/3m-command-damage-free-hanging-large-picture-hanging-strips-4-ct/-/A-13713732

#155 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

The command strips will be easy to remove and leave no residue when removed, thus making the mod completely reversible...
http://m.target.com/p/3m-command-damage-free-hanging-large-picture-hanging-strips-4-ct/-/A-13713732

Let us know how it goes. I looked at doing something like this, but I had a roll of old 3M double sided tape, and used that. I figured it's going on clear coat (on the apron) so I can always peel it off and use something like Goo Gone if I need to.

#156 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Good idea with the command strips.

#157 8 years ago

Got it working
thanks for the pics Hitch, i needed them in the end because i plugged the ribbon cables in the wrong way.
Will post pics up later, but here is a quick video (wife playing)

#158 8 years ago

Nice job. It's funny, now I have it in, I see so much more of the screen and what is going on.

#159 8 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Got it working
thanks for the pics Hitch, i needed them in the end because i plugged the ribbon cables in the wrong way.
Will post pics up later, but here is a quick video (wife playing)
» YouTube video

Looks GREAT but wouldn't it be easier to see if it were in the middle of the apron or won't it fit there.

#160 8 years ago

I didn't want any of the screen blocking the playfield. Even if it is just under the flippers. Just personal preference

#162 8 years ago
Quoted from levi_br:

Pinball w/DMD: I spent a little more ($34.00 - raspberry pi)

Ok, I have been waiting patiently. Raspberry Pi project kit steps please.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/IJgPX9x-f-4?autoplay=1&rel=0

3 weeks later
#163 8 years ago

Neal_W, I will make the DMD tutorial soon!
But before I need to solve a non-technical problem.

#164 8 years ago
Quoted from levi_br:

Neal_W, I will make the DMD tutorial soon!
But before I need to solve a non-technical problem.

I've been looking forward to this for while. Thanks Levi_br.

#165 8 years ago

So I got the 7" lcd and stuff. Plugged it all in using 6 volts....power light lit..board gets hot very quickly..no picture, or anything else. Bought another complete setup, thinking I might have buggered something up. Arrived, set up, same result. I'm lost...

#166 8 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

So I got the 7" lcd and stuff. Plugged it all in using 6 volts....power light lit..board gets hot very quickly..no picture, or anything else. Bought another complete setup, thinking I might have buggered something up. Arrived, set up, same result. I'm lost...

Have you got the power positive and negative in the right spot?
The right polarity looks like this...note, this show a USB power connector but it's the same for any source.
image.jpgimage.jpg

#167 8 years ago

Positive in the center, negative on the outer ring.

#168 8 years ago

Bad power supply, changed, works now. Thanks guys!

#169 8 years ago

im interested in the dmd mod since the woz has the dvi out already its a no brainer on getting this to work but how to get the dmd display and rule cards on the display is what I am wondering.

#170 8 years ago

they also make a screen that is a 5 inch that would completely replace the rule card spot and look more factory
in fact I have been working on this.

#171 8 years ago

The DVI output is used by the game for the back box monitor. There is a live VGA output you can use for the small monitor.

#172 8 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

Have you got the power positive and negative in the right spot?
The right polarity looks like this...note, this show a USB power connector but it's the same for any source.
image.jpg

I hope you are not trying to use USB power off the WOZ PC. I found out they "modified" the PC so you can't use it to power other devices. Found out the hard way / jjp tech support while trying to power some spare "dancing water speakers" as a mod

#173 8 years ago

When I hooked up the apron screen to the VGA port, both the DVI and VGA port went down to 1024x768. Is this happening to others who have tried this mod as well?

#174 8 years ago

Just to be more clear, when the main woz monitor goes down to the lower resolution, the edges of the graphics are cut off by the backglass. Even with adjustments on the monitor, there is no way to resize the active area, so my edges are cut off. If I unplug the apron screen and reboot the main screen goes back to 1920x1080 with the correct size.

#175 8 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

When I hooked up the apron screen to the VGA port, both the DVI and VGA port went down to 1024x768. Is this happening to others who have tried this mod as well?

My game uses the VGA port for the main monitor since it's an early machine (6/6/13). I plugged my mod into the DVI port and it changed from 1366x768 to 1024x768. Still looks great and I can still see everything.

One note - do NOT plug in the mod after the game has been powered up. There was no output on the DVI on mine until I powered it up with the mod attached.

#176 8 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

I hope you are not trying to use USB power off the WOZ PC. I found out they "modified" the PC so you can't use it to power other devices. Found out the hard way / jjp tech support while trying to power some spare "dancing water speakers" as a mod

nope. just used the picture to show the power plug configuration. if you look at my other posts you will see that I used a power supply that plugs into the 120v plug at the front.

#177 8 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

My game uses the VGA port for the main monitor since it's an early machine (6/6/13). I plugged my mod into the DVI port and it changed from 1366x768 to 1024x768. Still looks great and I can still see everything.
One note - do NOT plug in the mod after the game has been powered up. There was no output on the DVI on mine until I powered it up with the mod attached.

Mine is an early machine too, and it looks great.

#178 8 years ago

Huh. Mine is a new production game, just built a couple weeks ago. The DVI drives the main monitor, so the mod plugs into VGA. I lose the underscan on the main monitor when the mod is plugged in, so the graphics go beyond the edge of the backglass and look bad. The monitor in my game has no adjustments for h size or v size like most monitors I have dealt with in the past. Strange...

#179 8 years ago

Wow, I completely missed that thread. What a great idea and really affordable. Think I'll be doing it to all my pins. My kids sometimes (daddy too) loose focus on the playfield to look at the dots in action. Thank for posting guys.

2 weeks later
#180 8 years ago

Bam!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#181 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Bam!

image.jpg

DANG!!! That looks just sooooo perfect right there. Sure wish someone would come out with a kit for Stern Star Trek, Mustang, Avatar, T3....you get the idea. They would make a crap ton of money.

#182 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

DANG!!! That looks just sooooo perfect right there. Sure wish someone would come out with a kit for Stern Star Trek, Mustang, Avatar, T3....you get the idea. They would make a crap ton of money.

Maybe a splitter off of the Dmd ? And then to a smaller Dmd ... Daydreaming

#183 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Maybe a splitter off of the Dmd ? And then to a smaller Dmd ... Daydreaming

No way smaller, yours is the perfect size.

#184 8 years ago

One good Bam! deserves another...

IMG_7078.JPGIMG_7078.JPG

#185 8 years ago

IMG_7078.JPG

Oh man you guys are killin me.

#186 8 years ago

IMG_7078.JPG

Really like your bezel tape job, my tape keeps pulling up, I may find another type

#187 8 years ago

Does this mod change the main video display on the later games? Mine was built in last month and would love to add the mod, but not sure if I want to sacrifice the look of the current display.

#188 8 years ago

The display changes resolution slightly, but I have a hard time telling the difference, in one case it actually fixed an issue where I had a 1/2" black bar at the bottom of my screen, now it's filled in... I'll revert mine back (by unplugging the vga cable I installed) and snap pics and place it back and snap pics after the mod to show the difference.

I think possibly it may match the resolution of the screen added in... meaning if the rez of the 2nd screen is 720, then the main display may match the 720 and come down from 1080. possibly, don't mark my words just yet

#189 8 years ago

Hey, I like that green bezel tape RobertWinter. I may just have to Mod my Mod.
Where did you get the tape from ?

#190 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Really like your bezel tape job, my tape keeps pulling up, I may find another type

Yeah, it gets a little tricky. Since it wraps around, the front wants to continually lift off, especially the smaller edges on the top and left. I've been removing the glass every few days and pressing it back down. It holds longer every time I do it. You could only do the face and avoid the lifting, but I wanted the wrap look.

When I applied the tape, I only covered to the metal edge. But I noticed there is a small black area of the display visible at the edges. Not a lot, maybe only 1/32". If I ever re-apply the tape (or do a backup), I'll probably go in a little further. That will help with adhesion as well.

Quoted from Hitch9:

Hey, I like that green bezel tape RobertWinter. I may just have to Mod my Mod.
Where did you get the tape from ?

Trade secret.

million_dollar_wedge_in_board_pub.pngmillion_dollar_wedge_in_board_pub.png

#191 8 years ago

Ok, the video card sends out the lower resolution to both displays when the extra screen is attached, so we need a 1080 screen attached if full 1080 is desired. Otherwise I don't notice the difference much

No mod screen

With mod screen
image.jpgimage.jpg

#192 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Ok, the video card sends out the lower resolution to both displays when the extra screen is attached, so we need a 1080 screen attached if full 1080 is desired. Otherwise I don't notice the difference much
No mod screen
image.jpg
With mod screen
image.jpg

Ouch....that's a big hit if ya ask me.

#193 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

it is numbers wise... but when in 1080, some of the artifacting is still there and looks exactly like 720, I think it is most noticed (only slightly mind you) when looking at large graphic numbers on the screen, you can faintly see the jagged edges, otherwise the video and other graphics look pretty much the same

#194 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

it is numbers wise... but when in 1080, some of the artifacting is still there and looks exactly like 720, I think it is most noticed (only slightly mind you) when looking at large graphic numbers on the screen, you can faintly see the jagged edges, otherwise the video and other graphics look pretty much the same

I never did care for 720p vid

#195 8 years ago

The reality annoying thing is the score being cut off by the back glass slightly. Minor, but super annoying to me. I took the screen out.

#196 8 years ago

my score is not cutoff, that's weird that yours is

#197 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I have an early game and without the mod it's 1366x768. Looks just as good at 1024x768.

FWIW, we do a lot of display systems at work. We did a side by side comparison of 1024x768 vs. 1920x1080 on 36" monitors using the same graphics (scaled, of course) and the difference was indiscernible.

#198 8 years ago

I have a newer machine, built in July if this year. Score isn't all the way cutoff, just that the bottom edge of it is. Just looks ugly.

#199 8 years ago

Is anyone making these kits up for sale?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 24.50
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
There are 462 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-pinball-apron-screen-mod/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.