(Topic ID: 128036)

Wizard of Oz Pinball - APRON SCREEN (MOD)

By levi_br

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What did you think about this WOZ mod? (Maybe I will post a tutorial for this)”

• Love 149 votes
    71%
  • Like 55 votes
    26%
  • Hate 6 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 210 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170511_185152 (resized).jpg
20170511_184953 (resized).jpg
IMG_6993 (resized).PNG
IMG_6988 (resized).JPG
IMG_6987 (resized).JPG
IMG_6986 (resized).JPG
20161117_174429 (resized).jpg
ApronMonitor02 (resized).jpg
ApronMonitor03 (resized).jpg
ApronMonitor01 (resized).jpg
woz-resolution2 (resized).jpg
woz-resolution1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0330 (resized).JPG
IMG_5126 (resized).JPG
IMG_5125 (resized).JPG
image_5.jpg
There are 462 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

You can find this controller and LCD panel on eBay..
Neat idea.
ebay.com link » Hdmi Vga 2av Lcd Controller Board 7inch 1280 800 N070icg Ld1 Ips Lcd Kit

Wow thats a great feedback level. NOT!

#52 8 years ago

Looks like this one. $47.49 plus shipping or you can make an offer!

ebay.com link: HDMI VGA 2AV Reversing Driver board 7inch AT070TN90 800x480 lcd display

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

Looks like this one. $47.49 plus shipping or you can make an offer!
ebay.com link » Hdmi Vga 2av Reversing Driver Board 7inch At070tn90 800x480 Lcd Display

That ones has some type of opec bezel not black.. But it's a similar screen

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from levi_br:

Jason, I think any monitor will work. I experienced monitors resolutions: 1024x600, 1280x800 and 800x480. I did not see significant differences. In the video above, I used 800x480 and I paid $45.00 (eBay)

For those not lcd pixel educated which is the best resolution of those listed above? 1280x800?

#55 8 years ago

there goes your warranty folks

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

For those not lcd pixel educated which is the best resolution of those listed above? 1280x800?

Yes...bigger number = more pixels and better resolution. Ideally you match the resolution WOZ was built for though.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

Wow thats a great feedback level. NOT!

LOL. I didn't realize that first seller had such poor feedback. Better price now and it seems like there are a few more of them on Ebay today even.

#58 8 years ago

Is there a 5 inch variation that would look good? the 7 appears to be a little too large IMO....

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from CafeOne:

the 7 appears to be a little too large IMO....

That's NOT what she said!

By the way...that 7" is TINY!

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from levi_br:

The necessary clearance between the glass and apron is less than 7mm ( thickness of the 7" LCD display + double sided tape)

Not sure that is going to work on an LE. The clearance is right around 7mm.

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

Not sure that is going to work on an LE. The clearance is right around 7mm.

I bet I can make it work...just not sure how it would look when finished.

I'd remove my wooden apron, reverse-engineer it, machine a prototype (or 2, if needed), then I'd machine a stepped-thru pocket from the underside of the apron, then mount the screen under the apron.

I'm sure this approach would require me to modify the apron that lies under the wooden apron cover. It all depens on the total thickness of the LCD screen.

I've thought about making a new wooden apron for my WOZ anyway. I was thinking of making a slightly nicer one out of solid oak.

#62 8 years ago

I was looking at the specs on the 7 inch screen and the screen is 3mm thick. The additional 4mm seems to be coming from the double sided tape used to hold it firmly to the apron.

If you can figure a way to secure it to the apron without 4mm thick double sided tape, I think it would work even with the wooden apron on the LE.

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

there goes your warranty folks

That's what I was wondering. I'd still be in for this mod though if it'll work on an LE. Looks great!!

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from DorothyMacaw:

I was looking at the specs on the 7 inch screen and the screen is 3mm thick. The additional 4mm seems to be coming from the double sided tape used to hold it firmly to the apron.
If you can figure a way to secure it to the apron without 4mm thick double sided tape, I think it would work even with the wooden apron on the LE.

Hmmmm. Good to know. Thanks. Maybe this could work after all.

#65 8 years ago

I know that Levi_Br hasn't posted his tutorial yet, but by looking at the product page and his installation I am not seeing how it would void the Warranty any more than adding any mod to the game would. The WOZ Winkie Target mod seems more invasive than this does.

It looks to me that there is already a unused VGA or a DVI video out on the computer, that you plug into the product's board. Make a Y cable that taps off a lightly used 12 volt harness (or find an unused 12 volt someplace) that keeps the original circuit and powers the Mod's board. A little mounting of the board and the screen, maybe fiddling with the video sync and such on the mod (only) and Bob's your uncle.

I am probably missing some critical component or step here. But it looks to me to be a reasonably safe and simple addition. As long as you don't start cutting wires, it could be as simple as plug and play.

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from levi_br:

WOZ mod is very different than Williams mod, but both are cheap and easy to install.

I was responding to someone asking about Williams DMD's.....which I responded any pin with a DMD could use this.

#67 8 years ago

4mm is pretty thick for tape. A few small pieces of museum putty would probably do the trick here, and is less likely to mess up the apron when removed.

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Not to offer any official comment one way or the other on this mod, but I would suggest that the most important thing is the aspect ratio and keeping it the same as the main screen (16:9) regardless of whatever resolution it's running.

Resolution helps, obviously, but at some point it's like... Do you REALLY need a 4K phone? You already can't see the pixels (ooooooooh RETINA DISPLAY).

Just be glad this works at all.

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

What the heck are you saying?

He edited the link.

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I bet I can make it work...just not sure how it would look when finished.
I'd remove my wooden apron, reverse-engineer it, machine a prototype (or 2, if needed), then I'd machine a stepped-thru pocket from the underside of the apron, then mount the screen under the apron.
I'm sure this approach would require me to modify the apron that lies under the wooden apron cover. It all depens on the total thickness of the LCD screen.
I've thought about making a new wooden apron for my WOZ anyway. I was thinking of making a slightly nicer one out of solid oak.

Fantastic idea!! I'll think about it. I built a CNC router to cut wood, nylon, etc. I can use to cut the wood (oak!!) apron.

#71 8 years ago

The double sided tape is only 1mm. If your display is 3mm ==> Really, the total is 4mm!!

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from levi_br:

The double sided tape is only 1mm. If your display is 3mm ==> Really, the total is 4mm!!

Then it should work on an WOZLE. I'll give it a whirl.

#73 8 years ago

Finally, here is the tutorial to perform this task.
-
I made the tutorial very fast. Probably there are lots of little mistakes. Thank you for your understanding!
-
if you install the screen yourself, Please put photos here.

#74 8 years ago

Levi- if you had sold it instead of giving away your secrets you probably could have made $400 per unit based on the way people go nuts about mods around here. I'm sure the mod companies will take note and replicate it.

That said, thank you for not doing that. I don't have a WoZ and wouldn't want to mod it if I did, but I appreciate your style.

#75 8 years ago

I clicked on the Ebay listing that was listed earlier and found the type of display used.

N0701CG-LD1 -- The specifications give it a depth of 2.5/4.5mm (Min/Max). Add 1mm for the double sided tape for a total of 5.5mm if there is 7mm of clearance in the WOZLE you should be able to fit with a scant 1.5mm to spare.

Here are the specs:

http://www.panelook.com/N070ICG-LD1_Innolux_7.0_LCM_parameter_12723.html

#76 8 years ago

Thanks, Law! I appreciate your style too!

#77 8 years ago

Thanks for posting this....

I see another project I'll be doing soon.

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from levi_br:

Finally, here is the tutorial to perform this task.
-
I made the tutorial very fast. Probably there are lots of little mistakes. Thank you for your understanding!
-
if you install the screen yourself, Please put photos here.

THE WIZARD OF OZ PINBALL APRON SCREEN.pdf (Click image to enlarge)

Brilliant tutorial Levi,

I watched your TOTAN Youtube video and would be really interested in putting the video mod
in my TOTAN.
Can you please do a simular instruction tutorial for the TOTAN DMD apron mod.

Thankyou ...

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Thanks for posting this....
I see another project I'll be doing soon.

I hope you enjoy it.

#80 8 years ago

I assume, I can just install a standard apron on an LE?

#81 8 years ago

Very nice mod!

#82 8 years ago

I'm normally not a huge mod guy. However, I do like this and thanks for the OP in starting the thread and making a tutorial!

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I assume, I can just install a standard apron on an LE?

See post #71.
I think it would work even with the apron LE on the WOZ 75th.

#84 8 years ago

Thank you, Gawcol !
Thank you, Wesley !

#85 8 years ago

Nice mod, great work

This could be a good combo with Smartdmd. You could than use a hdmi splitter between raspberry Pi and the lcddisplay which replaced the dmd and hook up the extra apron LCD

Will give this a try

#86 8 years ago

hmmm

had a 7inch display lying around approx 6 mm thick. Did put that on a Stern apron ACDC and the glass clearly wouldnt fit anymore. Estimating only a few mm of space available between apron and glass

Is looking like a no go or the very thsplay should be really very thin

To be investigated

#87 8 years ago

I'm a little concerned about the control board being so close to the hand rail, if someone would produce another apron that is cut for the display and can have the control board tucked away under the apron, or if I can get another WOZLE Apron, I think I'd be a moddin mine, but I don't want to cut my numbered apron up., but I really really really like this mod!

#88 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I'm a little concerned about the control board being so close to the hand rail, if someone would produce another apron that is cut for the display and can have the control board tucked away under the apron, or if I can get another WOZLE Apron, I think I'd be a moddin mine, but I don't want to cut my numbered apron up., but I really really really like this mod!

It is not very close to the hand rail.

f8.jpgf8.jpg

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Nice mod, great work
This could be a good combo with Smartdmd. You could than use a hdmi splitter between raspberry Pi and the lcddisplay which replaced the dmd and hook up the extra apron LCD
Will give this a try

Great idea! Anyone can try it. To me this mod is just a hobby, not a business.

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

TOTAN: I installed under the apron and I used a long flat cable between display and controller board.

Ex: Display for $40.00 (free shipping): http://www.aliexpress.com/item/7-Inches-1024-600-IPS-Screen-Display-LCD-TFT-Monitor-EJ070NA-01J-with-Remote-Driver-Control/32316420752.html

apron TOTAN.jpgapron TOTAN.jpg
#91 8 years ago

I'd love to see the connection to the A/V board.
Did you split the ribbon cable between the AV board and the DMD Display?
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#92 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I'd love to see the connection to the A/V board.
Did you split the ribbon cable between the AV board and the DMD Display?
--

I'll make a tutorial for pinball with DMD.
I split the ribbon cable between the DMD display and a littler computer.
The LCD display is connected to the computer, but it's all low cost. You'll spend around $ 80.

#93 8 years ago

Several recommendations:

(1) I'd CNC a custom wooden apron topper (like the LE machines) that can accommodate the LCD screen. The wood can be painted and clear coated.
(2) I'd investigate mounting the LCD driver board underneath the apron. You may need a larger ribbon cable for this, but they are available. You can use a 40 to 50 pin cable converter board.

What is the power draw on the LCD driver board?

Very cool MOD. I was toying with the idea when I owned a WOZ - nice work

#94 8 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

hmmm
had a 7inch display lying around approx 6 mm thick. Did put that on a Stern apron ACDC and the glass clearly wouldnt fit anymore. Estimating only a few mm of space available between apron and glass
Is looking like a no go or the very thsplay should be really very thin
To be investigated

As I mentioned yesterday. This is something Oga and I have discussed several times now - it's in the works.

#96 8 years ago

Reinvestigated today

With a stern there is really very little room between the glass and apron, just a few mm.

That means the apron has to be modified to make this fit. If i can get hold of an extra apron i will definetly give this a try. For now it will have to pass as i am not cutting in my orignal apron. I like my mods to be reversible

#97 8 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Reinvestigated today
With a stern there is really very little room between the glass and apron, just a few mm.
That means the apron has to be modified to make this fit. If i can get hold of an extra apron i will definetly give this a try. For now it will have to pass as i am not cutting in my orignal apron. I like my mods to be reversible

Everything I make is 100% reversible, no worries there

Anyway, this is a topic for another thread.

Props to the OP for his handy work.

#98 8 years ago

This is great idea, more useable for the player than the big screen at the back

#99 8 years ago

that is cool....

#100 8 years ago
Quoted from levi_br:

I'll make a tutorial for pinball with DMD.

That would be awesome!
--

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 16.95
$ 91.00
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 462 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-pinball-apron-screen-mod/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.