(Topic ID: 118698)

Wizard of Oz NIB getting more expensive?

By Law

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by roc-noc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

There have been a couple of recent threads that piqued my curiosity. It seems like JJP has made a few changes to the BoM and assembly over the past two years with the intent to reduce costs and/or make things more reliable (light boards, cabinet decals, etc.) but is charging something in the neighborhood of 15% more per standard machine (from ~$7500 with shaker and invisiglass in 2012 to ~$8500 now), not even considering the LEs. Just wondering what people's thoughts on why this might be are.

I would guess that it's a combination of covering the replacement parts a lot of the early machines required as well as they're still selling enough of them at that price that they're happy with it. It's also possible that the current list price on the website isn't a good representation of the actual sale price if you shop around, so there's that. Maybe it's to set expectations on the Hobbit prices. I've not read through every thread discussing what they actually go for and this is just based on some distributor posts from 2013 and the current price on the Jersey Jack website. In any case, I'm curious

I suppose if people are buying them at the higher list price, that's great for Jack as well as anyone that wants to resell one that they bought a while back, but this machine that was already out of my price range seems to be getting more so.

#2 9 years ago

I kind of think he is just trying to keep the HUO prices up. He's trying to protect the investment of those who bought in early and trying to encourage people to buy earlier in the cycle.

If HUO prices drop, people are somewhat less likely to buy NIB. Look at how many people have backed out of MMR. It was a great deal at $8k when announced when the original was $12-15k, but now that originals have dropped down near or less than $8k, people are backing out of the MMR.

#4 9 years ago

Who can tell. I would say your hardcore in the know pinheads.. such as the fine silverballers we have here on pinside, Would pretty much laugh off $9500 for a Emerald WOZ NIB.

The guy that would drop that is the ER doctor banking major coin and wanting something new and flashy for his home entertainment room.

Lets just say my pinball wad wasn't gone. Heck, no way would i pay that much. Wouldn't pay 8500 for a standard.

As much as I would love getting a WOZ some day, I am not in unless its 6 or below... Which may mean I never get one. I'm fine with that.

So I think all the normal pinball hobby gotta have it demand has been met and now they are trying to tap into whatever market may be left at the higher price.

I wonder what the NIB market is for a buy it now get it now WOZ at 6500 though... I'd have to give that a long thought.

Been a minute or two since I have seen a used Woz for sale on pinside...Which doesn't mean much because I don't see every post made.

#5 9 years ago

I just figured they priced them to make as much money as the market allows and still try to stay in business. There is a price cutoff for everybody and that is going to change person to person. I have some friends that are out at anything over $1000. They do not have the disposable income to support more than that.

#6 9 years ago

I am in on the hobbit - but I am not sure if I would rather have RR WOZ to be honest. I wonder which will be seen - down the road - as the better pin.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I am in on the hobbit - but I am not sure if I would rather have RR WOZ to be honest. I wonder which will be seen - down the road - as the better pin.

Ruby Red is really good looking and plays well.

#8 9 years ago

I'm waiting for Lawlor's pin

#9 9 years ago

JJP began by selling most WOZ pins direct. It makes sense. Now that he is selling more pins through distributors, he needs to leave room for them and still make a profit.

He is allowed profit. That is why he is in this business. It is the only way he will be able to build and sell pins without taking large deposits up front.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
$ 5.00
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 16.95
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-nib-getting-more-expensive and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.