(Topic ID: 93997)

Wizard of Oz LE Prototype offered at auction on Saturday June 14th.

By EACbids

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9.jpg
623.6.jpg
623.jpg
585.9.jpg
585.6.jpg
585.5.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gstellenberg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 9 years ago

Thanks to those of you who emailed me about this thread.

Quoted from Pinchroma:

P-Roc can't handle the real time events that the lighting and video in parallel require but you're welcome to try .

Quoted from Pinchroma:

it can handle lighting and video just not the lighting the way we do it. Think about the transitional colors, fades, and shades. Each interstitial color change is a real time event.

These statements are both incorrect. The P-ROC and associated driver boards are certainly capable of being updated just as fast as you're able to update them, whether it's at typical OS USB servicing speeds or optimized speeds (ie. 1ms cycle USB servicing times that you can achieve with an optimized linux kernel and USB driver).

The beauty of the P-ROC (and PD-LED board) is that you don't have to do any host side optimizations to achieve beautifully smooth fades on one LED or even on hundreds of LEDs simultaneously. The PD-LED is an intelligent LED controller that you can send commands to fade each LED from one color to another, even at different speeds per LED. This intelligent control happens at nanosecond resolutions, which is MUCH faster than you can get with host side commands even on an optimized system. That's why color fading with a P-ROC and one or more PD-LEDs appears perfectly smooth, whereas on systems with slower update resolutions, you can see the incremental steps as LEDs 'fade' from one color to another.

If you don't want to use the built-in functionality the P-ROC and PD-LED provide, you don't have to. You can push incremental color changes down to the hardware as fast as you want, and they'll work just fine. So if you really think you need to keep the low level coordination in software by doing the incremental color changes there, you certainly can. I'd propose there's a better way to architect your system though.

I'm happy to go into more detail, but I don't want to derail the thread.

All that said, the current version of the P-ROC does not plug directly into a WoZ without modifying the machine's hardware and/or wiring. You could replace the entire driver board with a P-ROC + PDBs if you really wanted to, but it's by no means a plug and play solution.

- Gerry
http://www.multimorphic.com

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Hmmm nanosecond. At the beginning of your calls would be a gtod function for start timing and you couldn't get that to NS if you tried across that many LED's. I'd bet even across a handful. You are saying greater than 1000 updates a second across the string with full responses or dumb sends with no return processing? The former I would agree with the latter no way. Absolutely not round tripping in that time. We spoke on the phone Gerry and had this discussion not too long ago

Yep, we spoke on the phone about a year ago. I remember it being a nice conversation.

The intelligence is in an FPGA, not a microcontroller. Yes, decisions are made every few nanoseconds, and all LEDs (even across PD-LEDs) are controlled independently and simultaneously. That means each and every LED in the system, even in a system with thousands of LEDs, can smoothly fade from one color to another at individual speeds at the same time with no software involvement other than setting up the fade params.

There's no concept of a 'function' in an FPGA. All of the logic is running in parallel, at the same time. Also no need to 'get time of day'. The timing in each circuit is fixed relative to the oscillator.

The P-ROC receives commands from the host over USB, and it can receive and process them as fast as the host can send them. So if you can get your host to send commands faster than 1000 times a second, receiving them and optionally responding to them is no problem for the FPGA. Multiply that by another 1000 for 1,000,000 commands a second (one command every microsecond), and you're still not taxing the FPGA.

- Gerry
http://www.multimorphic.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gstellenberg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-le-prototype-offered-at-auction-on-saturday-june-14th?tu=gstellenberg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.