• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160131_214445_(resized).jpg
WOZ_Plastics_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Just installed these fluorescent plastics. They are actually just spacers that fit under the original plastics so that when the lights under it shine bright, the edges of the spacers light up florescent. I bought the green color as it goes more with the emerald green theme of WOZECLE. It definitely adds and "edge" to the lower section of the playfield that needed a light pizzazz. What do you think?

WOZ_Plastics_(resized).jpgWOZ_Plastics_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

I've been machining plastics for 35+ years. IMO Acrylic is a poor choice for a protector. It's extremely brittle and won't last long with ball strikes. I agree, the looks are great, but it's a poor choice of material to use as a plastic protector.

#3 8 years ago

These were basically spacers installed under the original plastics. What do you use? I bought these on EBay - perfect fit.

#4 8 years ago

Who sells these spacers?

#5 8 years ago

I design/machine my plastic protectors. I use 1/16 polycarbonate...nothing stronger on the market.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-pf-plastic-protectors-for-sale

#6 8 years ago

I got mine from a guy in Germany on EBay - Freddys-pinball-paradise. He had red fluorescent ones too. Those might look ok on the ruby red WOZ's. Not sure if these are poly carbonate or not. But they light up real cool.

#7 8 years ago

Fluorescent is acrylic.

Polycarbonate comes in clear, or gray tint only.

#8 8 years ago

Hey KingBW - could you post a hi-res close up pic of what they look like? It's tough to see in the pic - I bought indypinheads protectors a while ago & really like em & wondering what's different.

#9 8 years ago

Here ya go

20160131_214445_(resized).jpg20160131_214445_(resized).jpg

#10 8 years ago

i have had fluorescent green plastic protectors for quite some time, no issues and no cracks

#11 8 years ago

I just cut a set a protectors for a friend out of the same material. I am curious to see if they hold up over time.

#12 8 years ago

had acrylic protectors on my AFM. The maker would replace them when they shattered but I finally decided it wasn't worth the risk of losing a sling plastic and tossed the set in the trash. Listen to Indypinhead if you intend to protect your plastics.

#13 8 years ago

I think it would take a pretty large hit on the edge to break both the 1/8" thick acrylic and the original game plastics. It's possible, but I would think that something major would be wrong with a solenoid for that to happen. I would really worry about the glass at that point. I bought them more for the looks than protection. I'll let you know if they ever break. I have a complete second pair of the original plastics still in the packing material. So if one breaks, I'll order the bullet proof stuff from Indypinhead as a protector - but those appear to be pretty large compared to the original size. We'll see how it plays out.

#14 8 years ago

The acrylic "protectors" appear to be the same size as the playfield plastics. I'm not sure how much protection that will provide. I offset the edges of my protectors .100" from the original playfield plastics. My machining method takes more time/work than the laser cut PETG protectors, but I think they also look better and are stronger than PETG.
I wish polycarbonate came in different colors...I think the fluorescent acrylic looks pretty cool.

#15 8 years ago

yer right, they should be offset and made a little bigger to offset the brunt force of a ball hit.

#16 8 years ago

looks Great!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 91.00
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 5.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

13,000 (OBO)
$ 16.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-fluorescent-plastics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.