20220113_184800 (resized).jpg
20220113_184844 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 2.56.54 PM (resized).png
IMG_0297 (resized).PNG
Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 12.11.30 PM (resized).png
IMG_0288 (resized).PNG
IMG_0298 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 11.33.08 AM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rts.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 2 years ago

You may get more interest if you change the wording of the subject.

It looks like another WOZ fan thread, instead of a "tornado wind" mod for Woz.

I'd be interested in this mod. Either as a direct purchase or as a kit if OP provides resources to the components, and/or 3D print files for the fan brackets.

1 week later
#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Matt1724:

Just a nice breeze, not a wind tunnel

I'm intrigued with this fan idea, but I prefer a stronger in-your-face hurricane force wind since it's only blowing for a few seconds and it's supposed to represent a tornado.

I ordered this 12v low amp model that puts out 120CFM instead of just 38CFM. It was $25, but a wind tunnel is what I'm after. The speed can also be adjusted down.

It's not as sleek and I'll probably have to paint it black. But I want a strong effect.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F7ANK7S/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_JEEH6MDQTS75CSN09Q48

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from AckerApple:

Matt1724 that imagination, creativity, and execution is wow. Convincing me I really should get into printing.
I’m going to send this forum to the wonderful wizards of Mezel. Thats where I bought the wiring harnesses to make my fans.

Any chance you could provide a wiring diagram detailing the connection between fan to power to house motor ?

I tried pausing the video, but it's not real clear determining the connections.

#19 2 years ago

Did a quick connection and it works correctly. But my fan is not any stronger. Very disappointing. So weak, it's pointless.

I am gonna try connecting a smaller diameter hose to focus the aim directly and see if it will increase the pressure for a stronger effect.

https://vimeo.com/654398329

#20 2 years ago

I returned the small fan and got a stronger one I can feel blowing on my face. Has a 12" diameter with 10 blades. They describe it as creating a 10mph wind, but it doesn't feel that strong. It's silent, whereas the other was loud.

It is easily detachable and the head could also be lowered without removing it.

No permanent alterations to the game at all. (You don't have to cut directly into the original house motor wires if you use an auxiliary wire connected between the stock connectors.)

I prefer the stealth look of the smaller computer fan, but it was just not strong enough.

This one sits behind the clear topper and appears to illuminate along with the topper when it's lit.

20211210_193341 (resized).jpg20211210_193341 (resized).jpg20211210_193419 (resized).jpg20211210_193419 (resized).jpg

#21 2 years ago

Ok, I may just be talking to myself and I apologize if I've inundated this thread, but just wanted to share a problem that I've discovered in case others are going to try this mod.

When the fan is powered to the spinning house, the house is no longer finding its consistent end spot, to reveal the witch's feet.

Normally, the house will make an abrupt stop in the perfect consistent position to reveal the feet. With the fan connected, the house will continue to slowly spin to a stop in a random position. No abrupt stop.

Has anyone else experienced this, and/or is there an easy fix?

It may be caused by my specific fan, although it's a12v, and does work in conjunction with the spinning house.

It appears there is some residual power with the fan affecting the house from stopping quickly.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from prentice:

I'm following along too. I bought the same boat-fan you first linked, and it was strong enough for me but way too loud. (I wonder if yours was potentially wired in reverse? The airflow seems pretty high). I'm still going to return it and go back to the first fan I linked. I found that it is also important to angle it downward to enhance the effect. Still working on a good facade; will be 3d modeling the tornado I pictured above to have a hole or something to funnel air better.

Yeah, that boat-fan was really loud like a vacuum cleaner. I didn't mind the noise though - I kinda liked that it brought attention to the spinning house "tornado mode."

I also liked that you could mount it anywhere hidden (in back, inside, or underneath) and just connect a tube or hose to any output location you want. But it was just too weak for me.

I took a low quality video in post #19 showing attached ribbons blowing in its breeze, so I believe it was wired correctly. I just want an effect similar to Whirlwind.

I am thinking a diode might solve the problem of the house failing to stop abruptly in its correct position when the fan is connected.

Any electronics experts know if a diode would work here and what spec diode to use?

#27 2 years ago

I returned my 2nd fan because it prevented the house from stopping fast.

Still looking for the perfect fan. I need leaf blower strength.

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

Maybe you need the normal power wire to control a relay and bring in power to the leaf blower from a different source?

Yeah I was thinking about a bigger power source, but then it gets a bit complicated. The beauty of this was the simplicity of just tapping into the spinning house power.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from AckerApple:

RTS if the fan doesnt stop at right position, I just changed a house spin specific setting that made it land in same spot (nearly) every time
When I have time I hope to post screen cap of that exact setting.
Also, how the heck do I turn on forum email notifications?!?!? I favorited this post.... Feel free to email me like someone else did

The settings did not have any effect on the house randomness with the fan I had installed. It was not the same fan you used.

I could not correct it in settings. The house never ended in the same spot twice, even when leaving the number unchanged.

The house adjustments only worked when the fan was disconnected.

3 weeks later
#36 2 years ago

I finally achieved the full tornado effect.

The trick was to install a relay that will allow the game to switch on full 110v AC power when the house spins. The 12v fans are just too weak. The 110AC fans are the only ones that provide sufficient power to feel the wind in your face.

I attached one of those blower fans used for yard inflatables that I've had for years. It gets up to speed fast and blows like a leaf blower. And when the spinning house stops receiving power, the relay switches back open and the house stops in the perfect position each time to drop the witch's feet.

It's all totally reversible without cutting any game wires. (I bridged the wires between the original game connectors and cut into those. The bridged wires can be removed and the original connectors reattached to the uncut wires.)

I've attached a few pics showing how I connected it. You just need a relay, some wire, a plug and a receptacle. The plug goes right into the service outlet and the fan cord plugs into the receptacle. I then attached the relay on the wall inside the game near the power supply.

I ended up placing the blower fan on the floor behind the game and routed a duct hose from behind to the top (next to last pic). It could have a better presentation up top than just seeing the end of the hose, but this was really a quick proof of concept.

The force of the air is SOO MUCH better. And the effect occurs infrequently enough and only lasts as long as you can keep the house spinning so that it's not overkill. You really feel it when it blows. Exactly how it should be. It's perfect now.

Here's a link to the relay I used if anyone is interested: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087G3M364
20220112_213909 (resized).jpg20220112_213909 (resized).jpg20220112_221709 (resized).jpg20220112_221709 (resized).jpg20220113_144342 (resized).jpg20220113_144342 (resized).jpg20220113_184800 (resized).jpg20220113_184800 (resized).jpg20220113_184844 (resized).jpg20220113_184844 (resized).jpg20220113_193228 (resized).jpg20220113_193228 (resized).jpg20220113_194219 (resized).jpg20220113_194219 (resized).jpg

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

Maybe you need the normal power wire to control a relay and bring in power to the leaf blower from a different source?

You were exactly right.

2 weeks later
#40 2 years ago

Still need to disguise the hose, but here's an additional proof of concept.

The higher powered fan can also activate a dynamic tornado (while still blowing in your face for the full effect.)

The static plastic models never look right to me. A tornado really requires motion.

20220129_192327 (resized).jpg20220129_192327 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rts.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-fans?tu=rts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.