20220113_184800 (resized).jpg
20220113_184844 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 2.56.54 PM (resized).png
IMG_0297 (resized).PNG
Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 12.11.30 PM (resized).png
IMG_0288 (resized).PNG
IMG_0298 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 11.33.08 AM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider prentice.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 2 years ago

I crafted, what I think is the first introduction of the fan mod.
[quoted image][quoted image]

You did this 4 years ago and there hasn't been more attention on this until now??
This looks amazing.

Can you share the components you used? It looks like this is the fan: https://smile.amazon.com/Wathai-Brushless-Cooling-Centrifugal-Airflow/dp/B07RMJC9NT/

My first 3D printer is arriving tomorrow, this looks like a great project to play around with for a fan facade.

#14 2 years ago

Well I saw the video yesterday, ordered a couple fans (link in my last post), and got it hooked up today! Now I’m wondering how to make it more powerful, and how to angle them downward a bit.

I bought 10’ of wire and the 2 fans and that’s all you need if you don’t mind cutting in to the house motor wires.

1 week later
#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Matt1724:

I 3D printed a tornado with a fan. I need to modify my design needs because I think it looks like a birdhouse, but I get the effect I wanted.
Just a nice breeze, not a wind tunnel.
[quoted image]

Nice work! Have you made any updates to it? I printed a smaller tornado for my standard WOZ to go behind the house, but now looking for some facade to cover up my fans. I might try resizing the one I printed and punching a hole through it, though I have two fans. Maybe I should just remove one of them.

IMG_0695 (resized).jpgIMG_0695 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#23 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Ok, I may just be talking to myself and I apologize if I've inundated this thread, but just wanted to share a problem that I've discovered in case others are going to try this mod.
When the fan is powered to the spinning house, the house is no longer finding its consistent end spot, to reveal the witch's feet.
Normally, the house will make an abrupt stop in the perfect consistent position to reveal the feet. With the fan connected, the house will continue to slowly spin to a stop in a random position. No abrupt stop.
Has anyone else experienced this, and/or is there an easy fix?
It may be caused by my specific fan, although it's a12v, and does work in conjunction with the spinning house.
It appears there is some residual power with the fan affecting the house from stopping quickly.

I'm following along too. I bought the same boat-fan you first linked, and it was strong enough for me but way too loud. (I wonder if yours was potentially wired in reverse? The airflow seems pretty high). I'm still going to return it and go back to the first fan I linked. I found that it is also important to angle it downward to enhance the effect. Still working on a good facade; will be 3d modeling the tornado I pictured above to have a hole or something to funnel air better.

1 month later
#38 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I finally achieved the full tornado effect.
Here's a link to the relay I used if anyone is interested: amazon.com link »
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for all the info! Follow-up question for parts: what are the push-on connectors you used to connect the relay? I'm also needing connectors for speaker cables to connect to the speaker brackets to connect a sub, these look similar, do you know if that's true? I'm struggling to search for the right term/size on Amazon. Thanks for any notes, this looks great!

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from prentice:

Thanks for all the info! Follow-up question for parts: what are the push-on connectors you used to connect the relay? I'm also needing connectors for speaker cables to connect to the speaker brackets to connect a sub, these look similar, do you know if that's true? I'm struggling to search for the right term/size on Amazon. Thanks for any notes, this looks great!

Update: I think I ordered the right bits to help me with this and related projects. Now to figure out which blower to try plugging in! I've got that larger maritime-y fan, a cheap leaf blower, and an inflatable bed inflator to try out. I don't mind the two PC fans I currently have set up, but you have to get the angles just right to feel them, and i was having trouble designing a facade for them. So far I've printed a half-tornado with a hole through it and some tubing to route air from whatever fan I end up using.

amazon (resized).jpgamazon (resized).jpgtornado (resized).jpgtornado (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider prentice.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-fans?tu=prentice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.