(Topic ID: 208173)

Wizard of Oz castle doors woes

By ryanwanger

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

My doors have been finicky for a while now (doors trying to open but failing). Occasionally I've gone in to try and fix them, but it's such a pain to get the upper playfield on and off that I've been mostly ignoring it.

After two or three blown fuses (the fuse that controls the castle kickout, among other coils), I finally started taking it apart to figure out what is going on.

The spring on the left door broke. Okay, obviously I need to replace that. But I noticed another curious thing...when that door is fully open, it looks like it has been scraping against the bare part of the white wire which attaches to the opto for the castle kickout. Could this be the cause of the blown fuses?

If I open this door with my hand (and remember, there is no spring), it can even get caught on the edge of the PCB for that opto. Everything is so close and tight on this machine. Amazing engineering, but very little room for error.

So...what I can I do to prevent the door from scraping? There's really no extra room to move stuff around. I could possibly get in there and resolder the wire so that it approaches from the bottom of the PCB, and make sure to use the minimum amount of solder...but even then, it's going to be really tight. And how do I prevent the door from catching the edge of the PCB?

I want to address these issues, but also figure out what I can do to make sure the doors don't get stuck while trying to open, which has been an ongoing problem. It's as if the latch isn't engaging enough for the doors to clear it. Very difficult to tell though since when the playfield is removed, it looks like it should work, but once it's back in the machine, it's impossible to tell what is going on in there.

#2 6 years ago

I got the suggestion (from a non-pinball person) that I file down the edge of door lever a bit. I don't imagine it will cause any issues, as there are already metal posts on top of the playfield to prevent the door from swinging out wider than it should. Hopefully this helps.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 16.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-castle-doors-woes?tu=ryanwanger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.