• Standard 5 votes
    18%
  • Ruby Red 8 votes
    29%
  • Emerald City 7 votes
    25%
  • 75th Anniversary 8 votes
    29%

(Multiple choice - 28 votes by 23 Pinsiders)

#1 5 years ago

Hey pinsiders,

I'm interested in a WOZ. From what I gather there have been some issues with the earlier models. I'm also confused about all the different models. So I am looking for some buying advice from the community. What are the differences between earlier runs and later runs? What's the deal with the Ruby Red edition vs Emerald city etc...? What are some issues to look out for? I've noticed a lot of wear in the Hot Air Balloon area on earlier models. Has this been remedied? What's the deal with the light boards? Basically I've been seeing some various items in various threads so having them all outlined here could be helpful to others looking for a WOZ. Also which one is your favorite edition and why? Anything else you wish you knew before owning one? Thanks in advance for your input. Not looking for a trash talking thread just some helpful info for a partially informed buyer. Pricing info would be useful as well as there are so many variations its hard to compare them value wise.

#2 5 years ago

I don't own one, but at one time was considering it. So here is what I learned. The first edition was the Emerald City Limited Edition (ECLE). This has the wood apron and direct printed decals (which supposedly look amazing). However, this series along with the early standards all had the original light boards that had some issues with failing. There are some Emerald City Editions out there, which sound like standard Editions with added powder coated armor. Never really understood that model exactly, but pretty sure they have original boards. The only way to be sure you have the new 2.0 boards is to get a used one that has them replaced (demand to see picture of the boards and look for the "2.0" on it) or get a Ruby Red Edition (new or used). These are still under production and have all the bells and whistles (at a price). If you go with the Standard Edition, you should be safe for any model 2017 and on...but again, I'd get a confirmed picture of the light boards to be safe. There are a lot of ECLE and early Standard owners who have never had light board issues, but that is an expensive replacement, in my opinion. If I were still in the market for one, I'd go either new/used 2017 standard or new/used Ruby Red. As far as the wear in areas, I'll leave that up to the owners. Hope that helps. Plus, as always, make sure you play this game before you buy. It's a lot to spend and not love it. I liked it...but never loved it.

#3 5 years ago

The only model I would avoid are those with the original 5v boards unless some or all have been replaced. The original 5v games should have exhibited the issue by now. Around September of 2013 JJP switched to 7.5v unbuffered light boards. These games are far more reliable then the originals and many owners, including myself have not had any issues (knock on direct printed cabinet, lol). JJP then switched to 7.5v buffered light boards and ultimately to the 2.0 light board system.

Personally I think WOZ ECLE is the the most beautiful and feature loaded model.

#4 5 years ago

Yea, the ELCE is the best looking as far as cabinet. I have the 5V original and some of the small lights went out and I had to replace 2 of the larger boards when I got it and have had zero issues with the 5v buffered boards since then. But, I got it for well under the price of a new RR, even with the boards replaced i'm ahead so it's a wash IMO. You can always get that 2.0 upgrade kit if you really like the look of the ELCE. I considered it but ultimately am moving mine because the family wants Dialed In.

#5 5 years ago

Others nailed the light board stuff so I won't repeat. (my .02, I'd prefer 2.0 boards, but I love the look of the ECLE..)

Regarding wear around the state fair balloon (and also in the tree pops) early run ECLE and Standards did not have factory mylar placed there (they do now), many people dial the power down a bit on those coils as well, so high traffic games showed some wear there. If you end up with a used game, check that there is mylar in those pops, if it isnt, add it.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

Hey pinsiders,
I'm interested in a WOZ. From what I gather there have been some issues with the earlier models. I'm also confused about all the different models. So I am looking for some buying advice from the community. What are the differences between earlier runs and later runs? What's the deal with the Ruby Red edition vs Emerald city etc...? What are some issues to look out for? I've noticed a lot of wear in the Hot Air Balloon area on earlier models. Has this been remedied? What's the deal with the light boards? Basically I've been seeing some various items in various threads so having them all outlined here could be helpful to others looking for a WOZ. Also which one is your favorite edition and why? Anything else you wish you knew before owning one? Thanks in advance for your input. Not looking for a trash talking thread just some helpful info for a partially informed buyer. Pricing info would be useful as well as there are so many variations its hard to compare them value wise.

Good question,because I'm also interested in this game. Hopefully,I'll get a chance to play one at the Pinfest,this coming weekend. I would also like to try Dialed In too while I'm there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 24.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-buying-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.