(Topic ID: 156188)

"Wizard Mode" Documentary (Robert Gagno) (Now on NETFLIX and Amazon Prime!)

By frolic

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by RyanStl
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    DSC00917_(resized).JPG
    20160502_213723_(resized).jpeg
    image2(2)_(resized).JPG
    #1 8 years ago

Movie Description:
    Mastering classic pinball arcade games requires focus, agility and dedication. Robert Gagno has all these traits. It might explain why he surged from a complete unknown to one of the world's best players in five years. The achievement is even more impressive considering he was diagnosed with autism at age three. His success on the pinball circuit made him part of a community that provided acceptance and encouragement. With his parents' support and determination, Robert has exceeded every expectation placed upon him. As he approaches adulthood, his next challenge is to become more self-sufficient and gain his independence. From high-stakes tournaments across the continent to his day-to-day search for employment, we follow Robert's persistent progression to overcome obstacles and manage the highs of success and lows of falling short. In Wizard Mode, flashing lights and triple combos highlight an outstanding individual who continues to beat the odds and set records. Alexander Rogalski

Movie Trailer:

This is the world premiere of a brand new pinball documentary! Robert will be in attendance. All pinheads should come showing their pinball solidarity wearing their favorite pinball t-shirts!

I will be at the May 2nd premiere with my family. Hope to see a lot of shirts in the audience!

Edit:

Read my Pinball News report of the premiere:
    http://www.pinballnews.com/news/wizardmode.html

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2 8 years ago

I've created an event as well you can mark your attendance:

https://pinside.com/pinball/events/wizard-mode-documentary-world-premiere-2016

The premiere is May 2nd, there are 2 additional showings that week.

#3 8 years ago

Would love to see the full documentary. Do you envision this being released in its entirety to YouTube at some point?

#4 8 years ago

I believe it will have a digital release soon after. Likely as ppv or something since it is a well financed doc.

#5 8 years ago

This looks like it will be awesome!

#6 8 years ago

That's impressive! Hot Docs is the biggest Documentary Film Festival in North America, and one of the largest in the world. So just being included is a major milestone for the movie.

This is great for pinball and also Robert Gagno who's a great player.

2 weeks later
    #7 8 years ago

Bump for the 2016 PAPA world champion. Congrats, Robert! What great timing with your movie coming out. I look forward to seeing you at the big premiere!

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Bump for the 2016 PAPA world champion. Congrats, Robert! What great timing with your movie coming out. I look forward to seeing you at the big premiere!

So true... I hope the win helps propel the film. It should - it just helps reinforce the story.

#9 8 years ago

I can't wait to see this , not in TO , but hopefully online somewhere at some point . (Apple maybe ? )

2 weeks later
    #10 7 years ago

For those going to the Wizard Mode movie premiere on Monday, Pinball News will be covering the premiere, so if there are enough of us there in pinball shirts we can pose for a photo showing the local pinhead support for the movie. I'll be wearing my Team Canada shirt that Robert is seen wearing in the movie trailer.

If you spot me around in line, just come and say hi so I know you're there and if there are enough of us to make for a good photo I'll arrange it and hopefully we can end up in the article.

Tickets can still be had here:

http://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=50912~edeed7b8-5598-4ac6-994a-ca71bc407bc4&epguid=1982376d-17a7-4bb4-9959-f38bb053d10d&;

#11 7 years ago

http://www.vimeo.com/wizardmode

Available for purchase ($13) or rental ($5) now.

I haven't watched it yet, but I hear it's really good.

#12 7 years ago

Great experience at the premiere, being there as Robert & Maurizio watched the movie for the first time with all of us. Lots of pinball shirts in attendance and the film makers told me it meant a lot to see all the shirts in the audience and seeing the support of the local pinball community.

Probably the best portrayal of competitive pinball, takes it very seriously and shows it in a very flattering professional light. However the bigger story of the movie is Robert trying to compete and win at life itself, and on that end it was a very brave movie from the family opening up their whole lives for the camera.

#13 7 years ago

It was fantastic. It's like the story wrote itself with him finally winning in the end.

#14 7 years ago

unfortunately not available for aussies as it just says we are out of region.

#15 7 years ago

I wish they had an option to buy a DVD

#16 7 years ago

my son with Robert.

image2(2)_(resized).JPGimage2(2)_(resized).JPG

Quoted from indypinhead:

I wish they had an option to buy a DVD

I think in this case, Vimeo financed the movie as a way to launch their ppv service. Maybe DVDs will be available down the road but for now it's Vimeo only.

#18 7 years ago

I rented the movie last night and thought it was great! I thought it showed pinball in a good light and was entertaining. It also helped me understand autism better. I came away impressed with Robert both as a person and as a pinball competitor. His parents deserve a ton of credit as well! They are so loving, selfless, and supportive and have helped shape Robert into the person he is today. Impressive that they have supported him and his love of pinball so well by purchasing machines and allowing him to travel the globe to follow his dreams!

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

unfortunately not available for aussies as it just says we are out of region.

Purchase a one-time limited period VPN, and point your VPN location to an IP address in the USA. I use Express VPN whenever I take biz trips to China.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Great experience at the premiere, being there as Robert & Maurizio watched the movie for the first time with all of us. Lots of pinball shirts in attendance and the film makers told me it meant a lot to see all the shirts in the audience and seeing the support of the local pinball community.
    Probably the best portrayal of competitive pinball, takes it very seriously and shows it in a very flattering professional light. However the bigger story of the movie is Robert trying to compete and win at life itself, and on that end it was a very brave movie from the family opening up their whole lives for the camera.

It was a great experience. (tho I spaced and didn't plan well enough to bring a pinball shirt).
    A great turnout and response.

I highly recommend this film. It's polished, well edited and tells a great story. You don't need to be a pinhead to enjoy it - the essence of the movie is really about Robert the man and his growth as a person.

I'm really happy they were able to make the last minute edits to include Robert's win at PAPA. Not just because it's a great moment in Robert's life, but it also really helps give the movie an even better ending.

#21 7 years ago

I watched it late last night, really really enjoyed it.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

I watched it late last night, really really enjoyed it.

While driving somewhere, right?

#23 7 years ago

Bought it last night and watched it , it was very well done . I was happy his papa win made it in as well '

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

While driving somewhere, right?

Haha, right!

#25 7 years ago

Well-done article about the HotDocs premier by Frolic in Pinball News here:

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Well-done article about the HotDocs premier by Frolic in Pinball News here:

Sweet I'll just take a quick look and..."Toronto is Canada’s largest city with over 2.6 million residents..."
    Oh for shit's sake OUT!

#27 7 years ago

Enjoyed the Frolic write-up. Thanks for sharing!

1 week later
    #28 7 years ago

I purchased and watched this on Vimeo. A really nice film and thoughtful look in to Robert's life.

Thumbs up!

#29 7 years ago

Thanks for the write up in Pinball News Frolic, that was well done. I had a great time at the premiere as well.

#30 7 years ago

My wife and I were there for the premier, sharing the awesome experience. Brought home a signed poster as well. Great time.

20160502_213723_(resized).jpeg20160502_213723_(resized).jpeg

DSC00917_(resized).JPGDSC00917_(resized).JPG

7 months later
    #31 7 years ago

Wizard Mode finally made it to Netflix. Watching it now, I think it's a great story and is very well done. Lots of cool machines featured, Gagno gets wizard mode on TSPP and more. He seems pretty humble as well, paid a shout out and respects to other top players he seemed to know a lot about. Towards the end it tails off pinball a little and goes into more of his life, but it's still interesting.

#32 7 years ago

Can't wait to watch this so glad it made it to Netflix!

#33 7 years ago

That's cool it made it to Netflix, it will definitely find a bigger audience. I updated this topic title just so casual eyeballs will catch the Netflix reference. Thanks for the heads up.

#34 7 years ago

Also on Amazon Prime
    https://www.amazon.com/Wizard-Mode-Robert-Gagno/dp/B01LIL7E76/ref=sr_1_1

Between Amazon and Netflix, you have no excuse!

#35 7 years ago

I just finished watching it. I have an autistic son just a few years younger than Robert. M wife and I enjoyed the film and cheer for Robert. a very good pinball player.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Thanks for the heads up.

You're welcome! I've been eagerly anticipating Netflix arrival so I couldn't wait once it hit, I was on it. Good stuff, going to watch again with the wife and kids.

#37 7 years ago

Great movie. My wife and I really enjoyed it. She works with autistic kids and tolerates my pinball addiction so it was interesting from both aspects for both of us.

#38 7 years ago

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LIL7E76

Amazon has Kathy Gagno misspelled as Gragno. The above link has a 'leave us feedback' where you can ask them to fix it.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Amazon has Kathy Gagno misspelled as Gragno. The above link has a 'leave us feedback' where you can ask them to fix it.

Feedback and review left.

#40 7 years ago

Maybe listed on Netflix in other countries not in Canada yet

1 year later
    #41 6 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

amazon.com link »

Still not fixed a year later.

Met Robert and Bruce at TPF this year. Very enjoyable conversations.

#42 6 years ago

F^ck, another old post. I will see soon if this is still available to watch on Amazon or Netflix because it appears like good viewing. I hope the original post doesn't get my hopes up too much.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-mode-documentary-world-premiere-may-2?hl=golfkill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.