• ACDC 15 votes
    11%
  • Addams Family 2 votes
    1%

(139 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2018-04-29-07-51-38 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PanzerFreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

WoZ is not that hard to get TO, it just takes LotR time to get there.

The game has been out since 2013 and to this day I haven't heard of anyone reaching Somewhere Over the Rainbow on default 3 ball settings.

#17 5 years ago

I just got Dialed In and would rank that highly too as you need to collect 8 SIM cards representing the 8 letters in "Dialed In". To do so you need to complete disaster modes and / or multiballs on the playfield light the SIM card shot (one of the most difficult shots in pinball), and then make that shot before you drain. If the SIM card shot is lit after completing a mode you need to make the shot before you drain as otherwise you lose the chance to collect it and must complete another task, light the SIM card shot, etc.

I haven't heard of anyone reaching Showdown on default 3 ball settings yet.

#41 5 years ago

I listened to the latest Head2Head podcast earlier today with Keith Johnson. Sounds like The Hobbit will be one of the most difficult wizard modes to reach in pinball once the next code update is released. The super wizard mode is called "There and Back Again" and requires all 31 book modes to be completed!

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Absolutely asinine. Just one more reason this game is unbelievably terrible. Just because you CAN make something stupidly hard (or in this case just outright TEDIOUS) doesn't mean it's FUN. Getting to the 2nd or 3rd wizard already requires a ridiculous amount of play, and when you can make shots and sit on Hobbit for an hour and a half and still not have any chance of seeing the 3rd wizard, much less Super A-Hole Wizard Mode. It's just not fun. That's the difference between LOTR/TSPP and new games like Metallica and Hobbit. It's FUN to take the journey on those games. This new crap? It's like a cell phone game...all you're doing is chopping wood. OH MY GOD IT'S HIT THE SPIDER TIME AGAIN. OR OMG SHOOT 5 LEFT RAMPS SUPER HARD MAN.
*edit*
WHEN: JJP_POTC_CHARACTERS_COMPLETE = MAXVALUE
THEN: RUN MOCK.WMV, THEREISNOWIZARDMODE.GIF, GAMEOVER.WMV
Nuff said.

I have to disagree and if someone has managed to play the Hobbit for an hour and half and not reached the 3rd wizard mode then they don't understand the rules. You have your games with 6 modes, a couple multiballs and 1 wizard mode and then some that are far deeper like the Hobbit where there's 31 modes, a main multiball (plus others), and 3 Arkenstone wizard modes that have multiple stages. If you get to all 3 Arkenstone modes in The Hobbit its going to be a long game, if you beat all of them (haven't heard of that yet on default settings) its going to be even longer. That's just the way things are with games that have a lot of modes and I think that's awesome as deep and unique code helps justify today's prices. Same goes for Stern Star Trek having 6 modes with 3 levels, so 18 modes. That game is better for having 3 different levels to its modes then just 6 modes and calling it a day in my opinion.

The Hobbit is a journey based game, all 31 modes are unique, Smaug MB and the 3 wizard modes have multiple stages and with the final update it will have a super wizard mode that will be extremely hard to get to (as it should be) for that game of a lifetime.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Sure doesn't feel like it when playing it. There's a lot of "sameness" to many of the modes if you're not looking at the screen while playing. As a result I found it tedious rather than fun.

In terms of mode variety I haven't played another game that works the playfield as well, in as many unique ways, as the book modes in The Hobbit. The modes also have their own custom music and are timed to unique scenes from the movie. Same goes for all of the Akrenstone modes and Smaug MB. I see we both own WOZ and personally I would say those modes (Crystal Ball, Haunted and Munchkin Modes) feel far more similar versus the book modes in The Hobbit.

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

It's not as bad on Smaug, but unless code updates have changed it substantially in the last year....Into the Fire *specifically* is audio nightmare fuel. Maybe that's intended. It's really grating to me...all I hear is the same sizzle and scorch sounds over and over again. I will say that....I think it was Aurich....or someone asked me to play the game with headphones on, which I did subsequently do, and it does really change the feel of the game to be surrounded in that environment completely, it's a positive. But I don't know anyone that carries quality headphones to an arcade. I won't...not just for playing JJP games. In Hobbit's case for sure I can say that I'd rather not play it ever again without headphones if it's on location.

I hear ya there. If I played my Hobbit, or any movie based pin, without the audio as it was intended to be heard I wouldn't enjoy it. The music and audio effects in The Hobbit are really important to the gameplay experience, without them it takes away a lot from the game.

Regarding the wizard mode difficulties I've managed to only collect 1 SIM card on Dialed In in my first week of ownership. Long ways to go, lol.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You can have a great design on paper and still be a drag to play. Hobbit proves that in spades. Only lasted about 8 months here, and I tried really hard to like it because it's so beautiful.

Thats cool, its your opinion and I respect that. A lot of other owners including myself would say the opposite and enjoy the game.

I'll say this about WOZ, even though I find the munchkin, haunted and crystal ball modes on their own to be rather boring when you combine 2 or more of them with other modes they are a lot of fun. Gotta love all of the crazy stacking in WOZ and the game getting louder and louder as each mode is stacked! I still haven't melted the witch...lol. Its cool how Battle the Wicked Witch is a mid wizard mode similar to Destroy the Ring in LOTR. Keith mentioned on last weeks Head2Head Pinball Podcast that WOZ = LOTR 2.0, I can see that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, CO
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PanzerFreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-mode-difficulty-ratings?tu=PanzerFreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.