• ACDC 15 votes
    11%
  • Addams Family 2 votes
    1%

(139 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2018-04-29-07-51-38 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Frax.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I'm not sure if it's only my game, but I find it extremely unpredictable and drainy.

It's not just you, IMO. The two or three different ones I've played are all like that. It's the multiball magnets and the drone magnet.

I cant tell you that out of your list, I've gotten to everything but Valinor (two shots away. Not kidding.), Encore (Right orbit shot pissed me off so much trying to get to Encore I sold the game. Got two songs away once.), and Showdown (don't have consistent access to DI).

Addams Family should be a 2...the only reason it's not a 1 is if the magnets are turned on. Literally nothing else about getting to Tour the Mansion is hard. Ramp. Scoop. Ramp. Scoop. Ramp. Scoop. TZ is the SAME way, and in theory it's even easier because the piano shot is way safer than the right side scoop, or the chair scoop on Addams.. oh yeah, AND you can get door panels from fighting the Power. >_<; Metallica is around a 7 for me. It's just a LOT to do on default settings, and every shot can be dangerous. Depends greatly on setup. My game was trashing professional tournament players at TPF, so I know mine was on the higher end of the scale in difficulty. (I've owned TZ, LOTR, Metallica, ACDC Premium, Addams)

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That's literally the most challenging part, but it's not impossible. Load up 5 balls and let 'er rip.
Simpsons IS impossible. I don't have the half-jacket skills for it. I've never done it, only been kind of in the neighborhood.

It's hard to even remember everything you have to DO for AMEHWOASHHSIAHD.

http://pinball.wikia.com/wiki/The_Simpsons_Pinball_Party

I recall one ridiculously good game where someone had the extra ball thresholds a little bit low, think I played 5 or 6 balls in total, but I did everything EXCEPT for 5 super jackpots and Secret Stash. I've been to Springfield Mystery Spot a grand total of 3 times.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I listened to the latest Head2Head podcast earlier today with Keith Johnson. Sounds like The Hobbit will be one of the most difficult wizard modes to reach in pinball once the next code update is released. The super wizard mode is called "There and Back Again" and requires all 31 book modes to be completed!

Absolutely asinine. Just one more reason this game is unbelievably terrible. Just because you CAN make something stupidly hard (or in this case just outright TEDIOUS) doesn't mean it's FUN. Getting to the 2nd or 3rd wizard already requires a ridiculous amount of play, and when you can make shots and sit on Hobbit for an hour and a half and still not have any chance of seeing the 3rd wizard, much less Super A-Hole Wizard Mode. It's just not fun. That's the difference between LOTR/TSPP and new games like Metallica and Hobbit. It's FUN to take the journey on those games. This new crap? It's like a cell phone game...all you're doing is chopping wood. OH MY GOD IT'S HIT THE SPIDER TIME AGAIN. OR OMG SHOOT 5 LEFT RAMPS SUPER HARD MAN.

*edit*

WHEN: JJP_POTC_CHARACTERS_COMPLETE = MAXVALUE
THEN: RUN MOCK.WMV, THEREISNOWIZARDMODE.GIF, GAMEOVER.WMV

Nuff said.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

they don't understand the rules.

Okay, if you say so. You let me know when YOU have a half-hour long multiball. I have. Many times. And I've definitely beaten Into the Fire (OMG THE ADD A BALLS. YEAH THAT'S WHY IT'S A THIRTY MINUTE MULTIBALL.)...I'll probably never beat Barrel Escape because I refuse to intentionally shoot the pops (LOL) and I'm pretty sure that's a requirement. Garbage pops nest gives like 2 or 3 hits on every Hobbit I've played, and ball comes out.. awful and thoroughly unsatisfying. Glad to see they fixed that on POTC. Those pops are bloody dangerous.

*Edit* Oh, and I've been one shot off killing Smaug too. One of our local guys wanted my help fixing something and I played his Hobbit and both the smaug kill and the Into the Fire full clear were with him watching. I literally just walked away from the game after that, because I felt bad that it was going to put a ridiculously high score on his game, and he was nice enough to stand there and observe. His kid played ball one. I played ball two after she walked away, and then quit.

#51 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

timed to unique scenes from the movie. Same goes for all of the Akrenstone modes and Smaug MB

It's not as bad on Smaug, but unless code updates have changed it substantially in the last year....Into the Fire *specifically* is audio nightmare fuel. Maybe that's intended. It's really grating to me...all I hear is the same sizzle and scorch sounds over and over again. I will say that....I think it was Aurich....or someone asked me to play the game with headphones on, which I did subsequently do, and it does really change the feel of the game to be surrounded in that environment completely, it's a positive. But I don't know anyone that carries quality headphones to an arcade. I won't...not just for playing JJP games. In Hobbit's case for sure I can say that I'd rather not play it ever again without headphones if it's on location.

#53 5 years ago

Most SIM cards I've ever had was three. One is typical for me. The fact that you lose it if you drain is really really harsh, IMO. It's great for competitive play, but even for a competitive player like myself, I just feel like it makes the game not much fun. It totally destroys my sense of achievement of finishing a mode if I can't collect the actual reward, and the SIM scoop is far from a "gimme". I don't feel like the objectives in DI are ludicrous to get to the wizard mode (that I know of? lol)..I'm sure in a home environment I'd have that thing tuned to my satisfaction and over time get really good at hitting that and the big bang shot to avoid the magnet modes, but yeah. It's not completing 33 modes, regardless of how short they are. LOTR makes you shoot everything on the playfield multiple times, and it only needs 6 modes and 3 multiballs to accomplish that.

Think if they really want to require completion of all modes, the general idea from POTC should be backported to Hobbit where you get like half or 1/3rd of the modes at RANDOM every game. That would introduce some needed randomness along with still being too difficult for most players. I feel like if you can get the kill on Smaug, along with all three SJPs from the arkenstone modes...you've already earned your keep in my eyes, because that's just already way way way over average ball times for what's already a game that takes far too long to play. It's wierd that you can get to DTR in LOTR in under 10 minutes easily if you just *make the shots*, but Hobbit will always be a slog as it currently stands as you have to shoot 20 million orbits for map advancement, and every time you get stuck in a multiball, which happens WAY too frequently with the pop-up monsters, progress just feels like it dies. Maybe you can confirm for me (because I don't own a hobbit?), but do spinners still advance the map when in multiball/arkenstone?

#57 5 years ago

I think getting the SJP in Rescue is one of the hardest things in pinball, frankly. I'm not sure I've ever gotten it. Hell, I think I've ever STARTED Rescue MB maybe like four times...EVER! This is the best case out there to support any accusation that I might be a terrible player with a lot of luck.

I can clear TNPLH with my eyes closed practically, but for some reason that stupid thing just evades me!

#59 5 years ago

Considering I've never even been remotely close to any of the TWD wizards or mini wizards, that's personally the hardest one for me. I f'ing hate that game. I dislike Hobbit, but at least I have fun when I do play it...alone. TWD? No.

#61 5 years ago

Yeah...I mean....TWD is a great competitive game. The rules and stacking make a lot of sense, theme is good and whatnot.. it's just that pops exit on a game that's not PERFECTLY set up is just utter BS. Throw in the magnet right by the flippers on the Premiums/LE and wide-open outlanes of the location games... there's no way I'm ever going to rock LMS on location, and I have no desire to ever own it, unless someone gets me one for like...

2k. That's what TWD is worth to *me*.

#67 5 years ago

Damn Phil....

*edit* HEY WAIT A SEC HERE...we're still counting extra balls as ball 1?!?! o_O

#68 5 years ago

Watched the whole video of Phil's game last night. If you ever felt like you needed some instruction or understanding of nudging, I recommend watching it. There's a ton of close saves, and one particularly bad drain on the right side where it just wasn't saveable, but a heroic level attempt at getting that one back. I find it oddly comforting that he had so much trouble with that left loop shot on the fly...that's how I do with the right side on any given game, heh. Even then, he still managed to hit Barad Dur like 35+ times.

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from Beebl:

Agree i think ball 4 with the Ebs and it looked like replay was set to an EB as well if i'm not mistaken... Still very impressive.

Agreed. I was just really excited to see a true 1-ball Valinor, and that's totally something I could see Phil pulling off.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z
Interactive
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 49.99
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Baltimore, MD
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 37.50
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus
Toppers
$ 49.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts
Protection
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Frax.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-mode-difficulty-ratings?tu=Frax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.