• ACDC 15 votes
    11%
  • Addams Family 2 votes
    1%

(139 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2018-04-29-07-51-38 (resized).png
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

timed to unique scenes from the movie. Same goes for all of the Akrenstone modes and Smaug MB

It's not as bad on Smaug, but unless code updates have changed it substantially in the last year....Into the Fire *specifically* is audio nightmare fuel. Maybe that's intended. It's really grating to me...all I hear is the same sizzle and scorch sounds over and over again. I will say that....I think it was Aurich....or someone asked me to play the game with headphones on, which I did subsequently do, and it does really change the feel of the game to be surrounded in that environment completely, it's a positive. But I don't know anyone that carries quality headphones to an arcade. I won't...not just for playing JJP games. In Hobbit's case for sure I can say that I'd rather not play it ever again without headphones if it's on location.

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

It's not as bad on Smaug, but unless code updates have changed it substantially in the last year....Into the Fire *specifically* is audio nightmare fuel. Maybe that's intended. It's really grating to me...all I hear is the same sizzle and scorch sounds over and over again. I will say that....I think it was Aurich....or someone asked me to play the game with headphones on, which I did subsequently do, and it does really change the feel of the game to be surrounded in that environment completely, it's a positive. But I don't know anyone that carries quality headphones to an arcade. I won't...not just for playing JJP games. In Hobbit's case for sure I can say that I'd rather not play it ever again without headphones if it's on location.

I hear ya there. If I played my Hobbit, or any movie based pin, without the audio as it was intended to be heard I wouldn't enjoy it. The music and audio effects in The Hobbit are really important to the gameplay experience, without them it takes away a lot from the game.

Regarding the wizard mode difficulties I've managed to only collect 1 SIM card on Dialed In in my first week of ownership. Long ways to go, lol.

#53 5 years ago

Most SIM cards I've ever had was three. One is typical for me. The fact that you lose it if you drain is really really harsh, IMO. It's great for competitive play, but even for a competitive player like myself, I just feel like it makes the game not much fun. It totally destroys my sense of achievement of finishing a mode if I can't collect the actual reward, and the SIM scoop is far from a "gimme". I don't feel like the objectives in DI are ludicrous to get to the wizard mode (that I know of? lol)..I'm sure in a home environment I'd have that thing tuned to my satisfaction and over time get really good at hitting that and the big bang shot to avoid the magnet modes, but yeah. It's not completing 33 modes, regardless of how short they are. LOTR makes you shoot everything on the playfield multiple times, and it only needs 6 modes and 3 multiballs to accomplish that.

Think if they really want to require completion of all modes, the general idea from POTC should be backported to Hobbit where you get like half or 1/3rd of the modes at RANDOM every game. That would introduce some needed randomness along with still being too difficult for most players. I feel like if you can get the kill on Smaug, along with all three SJPs from the arkenstone modes...you've already earned your keep in my eyes, because that's just already way way way over average ball times for what's already a game that takes far too long to play. It's wierd that you can get to DTR in LOTR in under 10 minutes easily if you just *make the shots*, but Hobbit will always be a slog as it currently stands as you have to shoot 20 million orbits for map advancement, and every time you get stuck in a multiball, which happens WAY too frequently with the pop-up monsters, progress just feels like it dies. Maybe you can confirm for me (because I don't own a hobbit?), but do spinners still advance the map when in multiball/arkenstone?

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

In terms of mode variety I haven't played another game that works the playfield as well, in as many unique ways, as the book modes in The Hobbit. The modes also have their own custom music and are timed to unique scenes from the movie. Same goes for all of the Akrenstone modes and Smaug MB. I see we both own WOZ and personally I would say those modes (Crystal Ball, Haunted and Munchkin Modes) feel far more similar versus the book modes in The Hobbit.

You can have a great design on paper and still be a drag to play. Hobbit proves that in spades. Only lasted about 8 months here, and I tried really hard to like it because it's so beautiful.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You can have a great design on paper and still be a drag to play. Hobbit proves that in spades. Only lasted about 8 months here, and I tried really hard to like it because it's so beautiful.

Thats cool, its your opinion and I respect that. A lot of other owners including myself would say the opposite and enjoy the game.

I'll say this about WOZ, even though I find the munchkin, haunted and crystal ball modes on their own to be rather boring when you combine 2 or more of them with other modes they are a lot of fun. Gotta love all of the crazy stacking in WOZ and the game getting louder and louder as each mode is stacked! I still haven't melted the witch...lol. Its cool how Battle the Wicked Witch is a mid wizard mode similar to Destroy the Ring in LOTR. Keith mentioned on last weeks Head2Head Pinball Podcast that WOZ = LOTR 2.0, I can see that.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thats cool, its your opinion and I respect that. A lot of other owners including myself would say the opposite and enjoy the game.
I'll say this about WOZ, even though I find the munchkin, haunted and crystal ball modes on their own to be rather boring when you combine 2 or more of them with other modes they are a lot of fun. Gotta love all of the crazy stacking in WOZ and the game getting louder and louder as each mode is stacked! I still haven't melted the witch...lol. Its cool how Battle the Wicked Witch is a mid wizard mode similar to Destroy the Ring in LOTR. Keith mentioned on last weeks Head2Head Pinball Podcast that WOZ = LOTR 2.0, I can see that.

Yeah, we've supported every JJP release, but none of them have had the lasting appeal (and location earning record) of WoZ. For a stop and go game, it ticks all the boxes and it's done in a way that is almost always fun while you take the journey. Hobbit and Dialed In are gone, but WoZ remains and still earns really well. Interested to see how jjPirates does - we'll have that, too.

#57 5 years ago

I think getting the SJP in Rescue is one of the hardest things in pinball, frankly. I'm not sure I've ever gotten it. Hell, I think I've ever STARTED Rescue MB maybe like four times...EVER! This is the best case out there to support any accusation that I might be a terrible player with a lot of luck.

I can clear TNPLH with my eyes closed practically, but for some reason that stupid thing just evades me!

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

So based on the two threads, seems LOTR, TSPP, TWD, and MET are considered the hardest wizard modes to reach.
Again, we've only based the on the top 20 games on Pinside. I know WOZ and many other pins have brutally difficult wizards.
I haven't played much TSPP, but from the sounds of it, the big wizard mode is practically impossible to reach. So let's take that one off the table.
MET seems pretty tough, but doable if you're having a good game, making shots, and cashing out of CIU early.
That leaves me with TWD and LOTR, both of which I currently own. Valinor is a mountain, but it seems attainable with a good strategy, and being in the zone to execute it. I was working on the sixth gift the other night, and had only Fellowship MB and DTR to beat to get there, and although that is still a huge task, it doesn't seem improbable.
And then there's Last Man Standing which from playing my game for only a few weeks, seems like it is never going to happen. I've reached Horde a bunch of times, I'm getting close to Terminus, but LMS is a ridiculous feat considering how dangerous every returned shot is in the game and the gaping outlanes.
What do you all think?

Thoughts?

#59 5 years ago

Considering I've never even been remotely close to any of the TWD wizards or mini wizards, that's personally the hardest one for me. I f'ing hate that game. I dislike Hobbit, but at least I have fun when I do play it...alone. TWD? No.

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Considering I've never even been remotely close to any of the TWD wizards or mini wizards, that's personally the hardest one for me. I f'ing hate that game. I dislike Hobbit, but at least I have fun when I do play it...alone. TWD? No.

TWD is one of the toughest games I've ever played. Every shot and every return is dangerous. That is why I'm wondering if LMS is harder to achieve than Valinor.

I swear when I have a bad game I tell myself that I'm going to sell it and get an iron maiden or Metallica. And then I have a good game and think maybe one day I'll see LMS. I'm so confused haha!

#61 5 years ago

Yeah...I mean....TWD is a great competitive game. The rules and stacking make a lot of sense, theme is good and whatnot.. it's just that pops exit on a game that's not PERFECTLY set up is just utter BS. Throw in the magnet right by the flippers on the Premiums/LE and wide-open outlanes of the location games... there's no way I'm ever going to rock LMS on location, and I have no desire to ever own it, unless someone gets me one for like...

2k. That's what TWD is worth to *me*.

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

...I'm wondering if LMS is harder to achieve than Valinor.

Valinor achieved... on ball one!

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Valinor achieved... on ball one! » YouTube video

Saw your video in the club thread and yeah it's still pretty incredible.

#64 5 years ago

Not mine. That's Phil G

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Not mine. That's Phil G

Right! Regardless, he's a pinball maniac. Just played one quick get at ended at 32 million! Turned game off and walked out of the room haha.

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

*Edit* Oh, and I've been one shot off killing Smaug too.

I finally killed smaug two weeks ago on a friends pin. I have to admit the animation was very cool...still haven't gotten past barrel escape though...

#67 5 years ago

Damn Phil....

*edit* HEY WAIT A SEC HERE...we're still counting extra balls as ball 1?!?! o_O

#68 5 years ago

Watched the whole video of Phil's game last night. If you ever felt like you needed some instruction or understanding of nudging, I recommend watching it. There's a ton of close saves, and one particularly bad drain on the right side where it just wasn't saveable, but a heroic level attempt at getting that one back. I find it oddly comforting that he had so much trouble with that left loop shot on the fly...that's how I do with the right side on any given game, heh. Even then, he still managed to hit Barad Dur like 35+ times.

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

HEY WAIT A SEC HERE...we're still counting extra balls as ball 1?!?! o_O

Agree i think ball 4 with the Ebs and it looked like replay was set to an EB as well if i'm not mistaken... Still very impressive.

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from Beebl:

Agree i think ball 4 with the Ebs and it looked like replay was set to an EB as well if i'm not mistaken... Still very impressive.

Agreed. I was just really excited to see a true 1-ball Valinor, and that's totally something I could see Phil pulling off.

1 week later
#71 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

TWD is one of the toughest games I've ever played. Every shot and every return is dangerous. That is why I'm wondering if LMS is harder to achieve than Valinor.
I swear when I have a bad game I tell myself that I'm going to sell it and get an iron maiden or Metallica. And then I have a good game and think maybe one day I'll see LMS. I'm so confused haha!

Going to add to this... I still think LMS is tougher to reach and definitely complete than Valinor. The other night I had all gifts collected, all MBs completed, and TABA started. All I needed to do was start TTT again so I could get to DTR, and it would have been my shot at Valinor. I get it... Still a bunch of shots to make to get there, but on the other hand, I had a really great game of TWD today, and ended with 60 zombie kills!

I'd say I was 90% of my way to Valinor, but just over 50% of my way to LMS.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I'll bet that fewer people have made it to siege than LMS. Even though LMS is the technical wizard mode, siege is harder to get to IMO.

4 weeks later
#73 5 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I'll bet that fewer people have made it to siege than LMS. Even though LMS is the technical wizard mode, siege is harder to get to IMO.

Seige is so confusing to me that I don't even think about it.

Closest I've been to LMS is 60 kills. Not sure I'm ever going to see it. Find keeping the ball up in this game is harder than anything else I've played, so that lack of control just make it very difficult to collect all those shots.

With Valinor, I keep getting to the point where I have 6 gifts collected, and I just need to restart ROTK to get a couple more passes to finish it.

Even though it's really just one objective (aside from DTR) left to complete, it somehow feels so far away.

#74 5 years ago

Family Guy would be my vote.
I voted lotr because it is the hardest to reach on that list but fgy is way harder to get. I reached lotr's wizard valinor a couple of times but never got to sperm attack on fgy. (the best I got was 1 shot away lol)

2 weeks later
#75 5 years ago

I had everything completed in LOTR last night, and started DTR to get to Valinor. Made two shots, and then lost the ball down the left outlane

So I was 4 shots away from Valinor!

I think what makes LOTR a monster to beat is that not only do you have a list of objectives to complete at the right time, but having DTR stand between you and the end really put the pressure on.

Feels like having to make that RTU shot in AFM, but 6 times over, and riskier. And if you drain, it's back to thestart of the MBs.

I'm going to get it eventually, but it just wasn't my time I guess

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-mode-difficulty-ratings/page/2?hl=hassanchop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.