• ACDC 15 votes
    11%
  • Addams Family 2 votes
    1%

(139 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2018-04-29-07-51-38 (resized).png
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

My favorite part of pinball is trying to reach (and ideally beat) the wizard mode of each pin I really get into, and I live have the difficulty to reach each of varies so much.

I'm curious to know what you all would rate the difficulty of reaching each wizard mode in the following Pinside top 10 games (only using nine since that is the voting limit).

Let's focus only on main wizard modes, and not mini wizards. Also, the rating applies to reaching the given mode, not completing it, and we're assuming that game is set to default. Let's say a rating of 1 is like doing it with your eyes closed, and 10 means the planets must be aligned and you almost have to have the perfect game.

Here are my ratings. I've left blank the ones I'm not familiar with.

1. Medieval Madness (BFTK) - 6
2. Attack From Mars (RTU) - 7
3. Monster Bash (MOR) - ???
4. Twilight Zone (LITZ) - 5
5. LOTR (Valinor) - 10
6. Metallica (EOTL) - ???
7. Dialed In (Showdown) - 10 (8 with SIM mem on)
8. ACDC (Encore) - ???
9. Addams Family (TTM) - ???

#2 5 years ago

Uh, hello?

Stern Simpsons is one of the hardest if not THE hardest. WoF is no slouch, either. Unrepresented.

#3 5 years ago

TSPP and WOZ are both missing and both crazy hard

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from clg:

TSPP and WOZ are both missing and both crazy hard

WoZ is not that hard to get TO, it just takes LotR time to get there.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

What r u smokin? Woz is damn near impossible. Good luck getting Mega jackpot.

#7 5 years ago

Iron Man... Family Guy is also hard to reach.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

What r u smokin? Woz is damn near impossible. Good luck getting Mega jackpot.

Are you talking about the one during Rescue Multiball?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Are you talking about the one during Rescue Multiball?

Yep.

#10 5 years ago

Depends on how the pin is set also as little differences can make a huge impact on difficulty. Of the ones u mentioned lotr, met, acdc are the most difficult and di is up there also.

#11 5 years ago

Forgot Spidey ?
45 minute slugfest, really great workout, very rewarding, super cool call outs

MM, Never owned

Miss and love AFM RTU I think can be achieved sub 30 min ?

MB, Had, never made it , Lymens Lament is Awesome !

TZ Wow, all time great, I was able to reach LITZ but can't recall making it ?
Best memory of this pin was execution on 3 balls on mini PF, best rush of my life

Yeah LOTR is a 45 minute slugfest
Lots of fun really miss this title

TAF, Hell yeah, really cool, Love it !

Pinball is SO COOL !

AC/DC, didn't make it

DI, Can't comment, Would love to play this cool game

MET EoTL Bloody hell, still a work in progress !
Amazing title ! , Thanks Lyman

Anyone care to comment on time to reach Wizard on each title ?

#12 5 years ago

I've found people mistake Melt the WW on WOZ with the wizard mode. When I bought mine the guy was selling it because he could get to melt the ww every time and said that's why. After it was loaded in my van I told him how to get to somewhere over the rainbow.

Pretty much all Keith Johnson games are super tough.

Screenshot_2018-04-29-07-51-38 (resized).pngScreenshot_2018-04-29-07-51-38 (resized).png

#13 5 years ago

WPT is the most difficult hands down. Even Bowen mentioned that it is something he will likely never reach.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

WPT is the most difficult hands down. Even Bowen mentioned that it is something he will likely never reach.

Yep. We have someone coming on our show that has done it. He also maybe have written it as well

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The game has been out since 2013 and to this day I haven't heard of anyone reaching Somewhere Over the Rainbow on default 3 ball settings.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The game has been out since 2013 and to this day I haven't heard of anyone reaching Somewhere Over the Rainbow on default 3 ball settings.

Yep

#17 5 years ago

I just got Dialed In and would rank that highly too as you need to collect 8 SIM cards representing the 8 letters in "Dialed In". To do so you need to complete disaster modes and / or multiballs on the playfield light the SIM card shot (one of the most difficult shots in pinball), and then make that shot before you drain. If the SIM card shot is lit after completing a mode you need to make the shot before you drain as otherwise you lose the chance to collect it and must complete another task, light the SIM card shot, etc.

I haven't heard of anyone reaching Showdown on default 3 ball settings yet.

#18 5 years ago

I think it is do or die mb on Iron Man,Which involves 21 drone targets, war machine super, Whiplash Supper, 3 sets of iron man targets, and monger super.

#19 5 years ago

As mentioned in my initial post, I'm only listing the Punside top 10 (9 since voting on this site only has 9 choices).

There are definitely other games like TSPP and WOZ that are as hard, if not harder than anything on this list, but for now let's just stick to the top 9.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I just got Dialed In and would rank that highly too as you need to collect 8 SIM cards representing the 8 letters in "Dialed In". To do so you need to complete disaster modes and / or multiballs on the playfield light the SIM card shot (one of the most difficult shots in pinball), and then make that shot before you drain. If the SIM card shot is lit after completing a mode you need to make the shot before you drain as otherwise you lose the chance to collect it and must complete another task, light the SIM card shot, etc.

I'm not sure who PinballJoe is, but he definitely can play a mean DI:

I've turned my SIM memory on, because losing all that progress is just so defeating that I wasn't enjoying myself, and even still, the most I've lit is 4 or 5. I'm not sure if it's only my game, but I find it extremely unpredictable and drainy.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Most ive got is 4 letters over thousands if games

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I'm not sure who PinballJoe is, but he definitely can play a mean DI:
» YouTube video
I've turned my SIM memory on, because losing all that progress is just so defeating that I wasn't enjoying myself, and even still, the most I've lit is 4 or 5. I'm not sure if it's only my game, but I find it extremely unpredictable and drainy.

That was early code and it had alot of extra balls and things that made it much eaiser... still impressive

#24 5 years ago

I’ve got to believe stern Star Trek is in the top 5. Has anyone ever reached 5 year mission?

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I'm not sure if it's only my game, but I find it extremely unpredictable and drainy.

It's not just you, IMO. The two or three different ones I've played are all like that. It's the multiball magnets and the drone magnet.

I cant tell you that out of your list, I've gotten to everything but Valinor (two shots away. Not kidding.), Encore (Right orbit shot pissed me off so much trying to get to Encore I sold the game. Got two songs away once.), and Showdown (don't have consistent access to DI).

Addams Family should be a 2...the only reason it's not a 1 is if the magnets are turned on. Literally nothing else about getting to Tour the Mansion is hard. Ramp. Scoop. Ramp. Scoop. Ramp. Scoop. TZ is the SAME way, and in theory it's even easier because the piano shot is way safer than the right side scoop, or the chair scoop on Addams.. oh yeah, AND you can get door panels from fighting the Power. >_<; Metallica is around a 7 for me. It's just a LOT to do on default settings, and every shot can be dangerous. Depends greatly on setup. My game was trashing professional tournament players at TPF, so I know mine was on the higher end of the scale in difficulty. (I've owned TZ, LOTR, Metallica, ACDC Premium, Addams)

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Addams Family (TTM) - ???

Addams Family is actually pretty easy to reach the wizard mode once you get the hang of hitting the middle ramp shot followed by the scoop--that allows you to stack modes and run them simultaneously.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I'm not sure who PinballJoe is, but he definitely can play a mean DI

That's the great Joe Said, one if the people behind the awesome Spinners arcade in MD.

#28 5 years ago

AC/DC Encore: 10
TAF: 3

If Dialed In gets a 9, then EOL on Metallica should be a 10 or higher. Encore is harder than EOL though.

#29 5 years ago

Don’t forget about Do or Die Multiball on Iron Man!

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Don’t forget about Do or Die Multiball on Iron Man!

Again... Let's stick to the Punside top 10 (really 9) for this thread.

What do you guys rate BFTK out of 10?

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

What do you guys rate BFTK out of 10?

I'd give it a 7.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

5. LOTR (Valinor) - 10

I'd give LOTR Valinor a 9 from your list. I've reached it a handful of times, but never in under an hour.

#33 5 years ago

That's literally the most challenging part, but it's not impossible. Load up 5 balls and let 'er rip.

Simpsons IS impossible. I don't have the half-jacket skills for it. I've never done it, only been kind of in the neighborhood.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That's literally the most challenging part, but it's not impossible. Load up 5 balls and let 'er rip.
Simpsons IS impossible. I don't have the half-jacket skills for it. I've never done it, only been kind of in the neighborhood.

It's hard to even remember everything you have to DO for AMEHWOASHHSIAHD.

http://pinball.wikia.com/wiki/The_Simpsons_Pinball_Party

I recall one ridiculously good game where someone had the extra ball thresholds a little bit low, think I played 5 or 6 balls in total, but I did everything EXCEPT for 5 super jackpots and Secret Stash. I've been to Springfield Mystery Spot a grand total of 3 times.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Monster Bash (MOR) - ???

Quoted from Damien:

6. Metallica (EOTL) - ???

#36 5 years ago

So you think it's tougher to get to BFTK than EOTL?

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Local pinball guy here has done it. He is rated 3rd in the world at competitive pinball - https://www.ifpapinball.com/player.php?p=34917

Karl Deangelo did it live on stream - https://www.ifpapinball.com/player.php?p=5668

It is not impossible.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Local pinball guy here has done it. He is rated 3rd in the world at competitive pinball - https://www.ifpapinball.com/player.php?p=34917
Karl Deangelo did it live on stream - https://www.ifpapinball.com/player.php?p=5668
» YouTube video
It is not impossible.

Ouch, I saw the game froze up right as he started SOTR! That's just heartbreaking!

Not that it's comparable, but the first time I was about to start BFTK, my ball got stuck in the catapult, and when I tried to take the glass off, it drained. I was crestfallen.

#39 5 years ago

Out of curiosity, and since it is currently sitting in the top 10, does anyone have feedback on the difficulty to reach wizard mode on Iron Maiden?

#40 5 years ago

Has anyone but Elwin gotten to "5 year mission" in star trek? It's hard enough to get to Enterprise Amok ...

#41 5 years ago

I listened to the latest Head2Head podcast earlier today with Keith Johnson. Sounds like The Hobbit will be one of the most difficult wizard modes to reach in pinball once the next code update is released. The super wizard mode is called "There and Back Again" and requires all 31 book modes to be completed!

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I listened to the latest Head2Head podcast earlier today with Keith Johnson. Sounds like The Hobbit will be one of the most difficult wizard modes to reach in pinball once the next code update is released. The super wizard mode is called "There and Back Again" and requires all 31 book modes to be completed!

#44 5 years ago

I own TSPP, LOTR, and WPT....I'm a glutton for punishment!

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Absolutely asinine. Just one more reason this game is unbelievably terrible. Just because you CAN make something stupidly hard (or in this case just outright TEDIOUS) doesn't mean it's FUN. Getting to the 2nd or 3rd wizard already requires a ridiculous amount of play, and when you can make shots and sit on Hobbit for an hour and a half and still not have any chance of seeing the 3rd wizard, much less Super A-Hole Wizard Mode. It's just not fun. That's the difference between LOTR/TSPP and new games like Metallica and Hobbit. It's FUN to take the journey on those games. This new crap? It's like a cell phone game...all you're doing is chopping wood. OH MY GOD IT'S HIT THE SPIDER TIME AGAIN. OR OMG SHOOT 5 LEFT RAMPS SUPER HARD MAN.

*edit*

WHEN: JJP_POTC_CHARACTERS_COMPLETE = MAXVALUE
THEN: RUN MOCK.WMV, THEREISNOWIZARDMODE.GIF, GAMEOVER.WMV

Nuff said.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Absolutely asinine. Just one more reason this game is unbelievably terrible. Just because you CAN make something stupidly hard (or in this case just outright TEDIOUS) doesn't mean it's FUN. Getting to the 2nd or 3rd wizard already requires a ridiculous amount of play, and when you can make shots and sit on Hobbit for an hour and a half and still not have any chance of seeing the 3rd wizard, much less Super A-Hole Wizard Mode. It's just not fun. That's the difference between LOTR/TSPP and new games like Metallica and Hobbit. It's FUN to take the journey on those games. This new crap? It's like a cell phone game...all you're doing is chopping wood. OH MY GOD IT'S HIT THE SPIDER TIME AGAIN. OR OMG SHOOT 5 LEFT RAMPS SUPER HARD MAN.
*edit*
WHEN: JJP_POTC_CHARACTERS_COMPLETE = MAXVALUE
THEN: RUN MOCK.WMV, THEREISNOWIZARDMODE.GIF, GAMEOVER.WMV
Nuff said.

I have to disagree and if someone has managed to play the Hobbit for an hour and half and not reached the 3rd wizard mode then they don't understand the rules. You have your games with 6 modes, a couple multiballs and 1 wizard mode and then some that are far deeper like the Hobbit where there's 31 modes, a main multiball (plus others), and 3 Arkenstone wizard modes that have multiple stages. If you get to all 3 Arkenstone modes in The Hobbit its going to be a long game, if you beat all of them (haven't heard of that yet on default settings) its going to be even longer. That's just the way things are with games that have a lot of modes and I think that's awesome as deep and unique code helps justify today's prices. Same goes for Stern Star Trek having 6 modes with 3 levels, so 18 modes. That game is better for having 3 different levels to its modes then just 6 modes and calling it a day in my opinion.

The Hobbit is a journey based game, all 31 modes are unique, Smaug MB and the 3 wizard modes have multiple stages and with the final update it will have a super wizard mode that will be extremely hard to get to (as it should be) for that game of a lifetime.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The Hobbit is a journey based game, all 31 modes are unique,

Sure doesn't feel like it when playing it. There's a lot of "sameness" to many of the modes if you're not looking at the screen while playing. As a result I found it tedious rather than fun.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

they don't understand the rules.

Okay, if you say so. You let me know when YOU have a half-hour long multiball. I have. Many times. And I've definitely beaten Into the Fire (OMG THE ADD A BALLS. YEAH THAT'S WHY IT'S A THIRTY MINUTE MULTIBALL.)...I'll probably never beat Barrel Escape because I refuse to intentionally shoot the pops (LOL) and I'm pretty sure that's a requirement. Garbage pops nest gives like 2 or 3 hits on every Hobbit I've played, and ball comes out.. awful and thoroughly unsatisfying. Glad to see they fixed that on POTC. Those pops are bloody dangerous.

*Edit* Oh, and I've been one shot off killing Smaug too. One of our local guys wanted my help fixing something and I played his Hobbit and both the smaug kill and the Into the Fire full clear were with him watching. I literally just walked away from the game after that, because I felt bad that it was going to put a ridiculously high score on his game, and he was nice enough to stand there and observe. His kid played ball one. I played ball two after she walked away, and then quit.

#49 5 years ago

So based on the two threads, seems LOTR, TSPP, TWD, and MET are considered the hardest wizard modes to reach.

Again, we've only based the on the top 20 games on Pinside. I know WOZ and many other pins have brutally difficult wizards.

I haven't played much TSPP, but from the sounds of it, the big wizard mode is practically impossible to reach. So let's take that one off the table.

MET seems pretty tough, but doable if you're having a good game, making shots, and cashing out of CIU early.

That leaves me with TWD and LOTR, both of which I currently own. Valinor is a mountain, but it seems attainable with a good strategy, and being in the zone to execute it. I was working on the sixth gift the other night, and had only Fellowship MB and DTR to beat to get there, and although that is still a huge task, it doesn't seem improbable.

And then there's Last Man Standing which from playing my game for only a few weeks, seems like it is never going to happen. I've reached Horde a bunch of times, I'm getting close to Terminus, but LMS is a ridiculous feat considering how dangerous every returned shot is in the game and the gaping outlanes.

What do you all think?

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Sure doesn't feel like it when playing it. There's a lot of "sameness" to many of the modes if you're not looking at the screen while playing. As a result I found it tedious rather than fun.

In terms of mode variety I haven't played another game that works the playfield as well, in as many unique ways, as the book modes in The Hobbit. The modes also have their own custom music and are timed to unique scenes from the movie. Same goes for all of the Akrenstone modes and Smaug MB. I see we both own WOZ and personally I would say those modes (Crystal Ball, Haunted and Munchkin Modes) feel far more similar versus the book modes in The Hobbit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bettendorf, IA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 25.50
$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-mode-difficulty-ratings and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.