(Topic ID: 196529)

Wizard Hardtops now available for order!

By Outsidedge

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Pinplayer1967
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0938 (resized).JPG
IMG_0937 (resized).JPG
IMG_0038 (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

Hi All,
We are proud to announce that the Wizard Hardtop is ready. They can be ordered @ www.pinballgifts.com ... Here is a photo from Andy that prototyped the Hardtop for us. Well done Andy!

Stay tuned also for a thread that will be posted soon for all installation questions. A video from our infamous.... famous Skypilot will be posted there soon regarding the "great star rollover" installation process. As always, he has done a great job with his descriptions and video.

IMG_0038 (resized).JPG

#2 1 year ago

"the great star rollover" sounds like a movie

Andy

#3 1 year ago

Ask and you shall receive.

#4 1 year ago

Right on!

#5 1 year ago

Hm....will be interested to see how many people manage to get these perfectly aligned..since I'll be needing to do the same on Future Spa. At least it's not a complicated process, but I really don't want any ball hop going around the loop where the rollovers are on FS.

#6 1 year ago

So let me see if I understand. The 8 star rollovers on Wizard are different from the star rollovers that can be carefully punched out from the bottom with the assistance of a heat gun. If the above process is required is there a dremel tool that has a depth stop. I seem to remember seeing one.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from fingersport:

So let me see if I understand. The 8 star rollovers on Wizard are different from the star rollovers that can be carefully punched out from the bottom with the assistance of a heat gun. If the above process is required is there a dremel tool that has a depth stop. I seem to remember seeing one.

I'm not understanding the question. You are removing both parts of the roll over. The star and the round disc together.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I'm not understanding the question. You are removing both parts of the roll over. The star and the round disc together.

I think he's confused in that it appears you're only removing plastic from the hardtop, and he seems to be thinking there's some risk to doing it by hand like your video. Also, AFAIK, theses aren't any different than rollovers in any other game with star insert rollovers. The only way around having to do this would be to have them be laser or die cut in production, but that might cause alignment issues, as playfields are never truly identical.

If I'm understanding this right:

1. before installation of hardtop, remove star inserts from playfield
2. install hardtop
3. Use dremel tool to sand/cut away the extra plastic that would end up being OVER the star insert. (You are not modifying the playfield ITSELF)
4. Insert and glue the star insert, making sure it's flush with the top of the hardtop.

My dremel DOES have a depth guide/cutting kit..whatever. Looks like a cone. I suppose if you're paranoid about slipping it would work but I'd be afraid it'd leave a bunch of scratches sliding across the top. Doesn't seem necessary. Just go slow and be careful, and clean up carefully.

#9 1 year ago

I get it now. All 5 of my Wizards are in a different location so I was unable to look at a playfield. I thought the black section that you show being removed was part of the original playfield. I didn't remember it that way but, my memory can be bad sometimes. I see why they did the star rollovers this way. It provides a little bit of leeway when installing the hardtop. As long as you line up all the other holes the star rollovers should be OK. Thanks for the clarification Frax. Putting the steps in order 1-4 made the bell go off. Ding "I get it" I looked at the video several times and I can't see that black area very well on the laptop. Not well enough to see that was part of the hardtop I was looking at. Looks like I need to check into some new glass. Thanks for the video as well Skypilot. Very helpful.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from fingersport:

All 5 of my Wizards are in a different location so I was unable to look at a playfield.

When 4 Wizards clearly isn't enough Wizards.

rd

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from fingersport:

I thought the black section that you show being removed was part of the original playfield.

Just so you know that playfield was the prototype that Andy installed in one of his Wizards. We gave feedback back to Bruce on the "black on the roll-over areas. We asked him to remove the black an just fill in with the surrounding color, The reason being if there is any offset the black lines will lock uneven and horrible.

Quoted from fingersport:

Thanks for the video as well Skypilot. Very helpful.

Thank you,There are additional videos out there that might also help,

#12 1 year ago

I got all 5 Wizards at a auction in South Carolina several years ago. A very large operator had to get rid of almost 1000 pins and about the same number of video games, jukeboxes, pool tables and other coin-op equipment. The fire marshal said the large number of wooden games was a fire hazard. The tobacco warehouse where the games were stored was also made out of wood. If I remember right the auction had about 20 Wizards. Not all of them sold even though they where in good condition. My average price per Wizard was $280. I also picked up about 30 other pinballs that day. I think that was the largest number of pins I picked up in one day. Love the good old days.

I will be selling 4 of the Wizards when I get a chance to overhaul them. Not sure at this point if I will put hardtops on all of them.

#13 1 year ago

Has anyone put a hardtop on a Taxi? If so how well did everything line up/fit etc?

#14 1 year ago

I suppose if the inserts were previously installed with super glue or epoxy this might be the way to remove them, but it looks risky to me. What's wrong with using a heat gun to soften the glue & push out from the bottom?
If you slip with the Dremel you have created a mess to repair.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from dasvis:

I suppose if the inserts were previously installed with super glue or epoxy this might be the way to remove them, but it looks risky to me. What's wrong with using a heat gun to soften the glue & push out from the bottom?
If you slip with the Dremel you have created a mess to repair.

I'm not sure you understand the video. The entire roll overs are removed before the Hardtop is applied.
you can tap them out or use a heat gun the loosen them and then remove them. IMG_0937 (resized).JPG

Once you have sanded the playfield around all the colored inserts and addressed any exposed wood areas that will be later seen(such as the shooter lane) You will apply the Hardtop. In the case of a game such as Wizard it will look like the picture below.IMG_0938 (resized).JPGNotice the hole under the Z. Although the hole has black around it(The black will not be present on the tops you would receive) The hole is much smaller than the diameter of a roll over.This is the poly-carbonate we were removing in the video.We sanded the material back to the 1 1/4" hole underneath so the roll over could be reinstalled.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I'm not sure you understand the video. The entire roll overs are removed before the Hardtop is applied.

Sorry, my bad, I was thinking this was a playfield protector, I see where you are coming from now.
Great product as far as I can tell, hope to see many more titles in the future!
Carry on.

#17 1 year ago

I think what you guys are doing is great!!! My Wizard is in great shape but need one of these new tops for Captain Fantastic hopefully you guys will make these someday?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 21.00
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 29.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 194.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 1.95
Various Novelties
Pinball Wheezer
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside