Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Tonup69
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hey everyone. Trying to do a medium restoration on a Bally Wizard for a friend. I got the game cleaned up, new rubbers, new posts, cleaned up the playfield, etc. Now I am on to mechanical issues - most of which have been worked out. My big problem right now is that this particular machine was made right during a transition for Bally flippers (5/75). I think the coils may not match the plungers that come with the kit - I am using the coils that were in the machine. Is that possible? The flippers vibrate like crazy when you hold the flipper button. They just seem loose in the coil sleeves. Am I imagining this, or do I need different sleeves? The plungers seem too small from the mini-kit (KT-BFLIP02M). It looks like some of the parts may be from the KT-BFLIP01 kit (early Bally). Not sure what is not matching up. Can provide photos, but not tonight. Any suggestions?

#2 1 year ago

Do your plungers have a little groove about 1/4 wide near the end? It sounds like you have the narrow plungers used on the older models. Those require a little nylon collar to fit inio the sleeve properly.
http://www.pbresource.com/rebuildk/bly-c342+.jpg

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from edednedy:

Do your plungers have a little groove about 1/4 wide near the end? It sounds like you have the narrow plungers used on the older models. Those require a little nylon collar to fit inio the sleeve properly.
http://www.pbresource.com/rebuildk/bly-c342+.jpg

I will check that for sure! Don't remember seeing the little nylon collars in the kit, but this might be the issue. Thanks.

#4 1 year ago

Well, I messed with it last night and it was NOT the smaller piston. There is a funny wavy washer between the coil and the holder - should that be there? No matter what I do, I can't get the right flipper to stop vibrating, but the left one is better after I tightened everything down. Any other things to look for? Maybe this is the wrong coil?

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Tonup69:

Well, I messed with it last night and it was NOT the smaller piston. There is a funny wavy washer between the coil and the holder - should that be there? No matter what I do, I can't get the right flipper to stop vibrating, but the left one is better after I tightened everything down. Any other things to look for? Maybe this is the wrong coil?

Here is a short video of the issue:

#6 1 year ago

The wave washer should be ok. Are the coil stops new and relatively flat across the top?

#7 1 year ago

Installed Gottlieb A-5141 coils, right flipper, on both my Wizards years ago. Gives it that extra punch when hitting the spinner. They’re still there working fine.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

The wave washer should be ok. Are the coil stops new and relatively flat across the top?

They are new. I am going to check the clearance as soon as I can get back to the warehouse. I suspect the piston is hitting the stop.

#9 1 year ago

Try switching the coil stop on the right with the one on the left and see if the buzz changes sides. Then you'll know if you're dealing with a coil stop problem or not.

#10 1 year ago

What a mess! Here are the things I tried that DIDN'T WORK:

1) Coil Stops: shaved down the one in question - piston not touching it. Vibrates like crazy even WITHOUT the stop in place.
2) re-aligned the coil holders to the spot with least resistance by hand - didn't help.
3) Multiple adjustments of the EOS switch - nothing helps - not even a crazy gap that is too big.
4) checked spring lengths and non-conductive material around piston for matching other side - they are the same - that side is actually fine.
5) Tried different new sleeves - no change.

Not sure what is next, other than buying a new coil. Seems like these aren't quite right anyway - something about the way they fit isn't right.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Installed Gottlieb A-5141 coils, right flipper, on both my Wizards years ago. Gives it that extra punch when hitting the spinner. They’re still there working fine.

This makes sense to me. Might be my next step.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-flipper-coils-wrong?hl=runbikeskilee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.