image-237.jpg
image-710.jpg
Unknown.jpeg
images.jpeg
images-2.jpeg
images-1.jpeg
cracker jack.jpg
rotatinglight.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swf127.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from Ahoernchen:

And Gene is the only person who can decide?

Right now it sounds like a judge is the only one who can decide.

#126 9 years ago

It's weird that whatever title is being worked on when a company closes it's doors suddenly becomes the brass ring. Given it's not done and very few of us have played one, I'm not sure I understand the emotional investiture. It's an unfinished game on a dead platform that is legally encumbered to such an extent it's unclear who owns it. It sounds like THE tar baby of the pinball world.

It would be cheaper/faster to build a knock-off called "Sorceror Cubes" than it would be to try and complete what exists. The reality is there's nothing sacred about the existing rule set other than that's what they had when the doors closed.

Post edited by swf127

#132 9 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

For a game as important as Wizard Blocks to be in the hands of someone who appreciates it for what it is and lets others enjoy it is a massive win for the pinball community.

I absolutely agree with this. It's a piece of pinball history that deserves to be preserved and if the owner is sharing it with the community, that's icing on the cake.

#139 9 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

So, you have no interest in playing Bally/Williams' last pinball game?

Oddly enough probably not but let me explain why. Creating anything of any real value is usually an iterative process. Geniuses might be able to lay out something with no changes, but the rest of us are constantly making adjustments as we go to reach the intended goal. I've written quite a bit in my career (software & otherwise) and if I were forced to abandon an effort mid-stream, I'd have mixed feelings about people holding it up as my coda. If you want to play it out of historical interest or to understand how a pin evolves during development, then I totally get that. I just think hiring a pack of bozos to pick up where a guy like Lawlor et al. left off and try and call it a Lawlor pin is doing him and pinball a disservice.

Quoted from Jnewton:

According to most accounts(interviews with Williams employees) it was *the* game that got the pin2k format down to the perfect mix of pinball and video.

I think pin2k was an interesting technical achievement that had a great deal of potential. I'm not denigrating anyone's work. All I'm saying is that nostalgia is a powerful force. It's one of the big reasons we're all here, right? We're grown up a bit, are well-off enough to buy some toys and we're buying all the crap we liked in our late teens and twenties. If you're going to move things forward, we can borrow ideas and concepts from a platform like pin2k, but I wouldn't limit ourselves to what already exists. I'm far more excited about what Heck & spooky are doing precisely because they're opening up the platform. They're making it accessible in a way that's never been done before. If I have to choose where to spend my money, it's a remarkably easy decision.

#169 9 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

Want Lyman Sheets to do the programming on your new project?

I doubt Lyman is going to give up his job for a six figure payday and my guess is Stern might have a problem with him taking a leave of absence to work on a competing product.

Quoted from PPS:

more like 7 figures ..

I don't know Lyman, but one would presume it would need to be in "F. U. number" territory.

I'm not sure why you guys are so fixated on this pin. How many pins that come out look great when you see photos or short video clips but SUCK when you sit down and really play them?

#193 9 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Hmmmm, not sure what you're saying here......

I only beat a dead horse with another dead horse. A bat won't get the job done.

#194 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Good pinball programmers should easily make six figures. On the low side but six figures

That's true of just about anyone but I doubt it's true for Lyman. He's a brand in his own right at this point and the fact he worked on a game drives sales. If Stern doesn't have him in a set of golden handcuffs at this point, they're idiots.

#199 9 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

LOL - Stern does not own Lyman. I am sure he could do whatever he wants in his free time. If $100,000 for 3 nights a week and one day a weekend sounded good to him, he might do it. Anyone might. And what if he could do the whole thing on weekends alone? Or in 5 minutes because he is the master ?

If Lyman isn't under some type of non-disclosure and non-competition agreement, that would be funny. If that were true after they took on venture capital, I'd be stunned. Then again, I'm sure in your model him uploading the code for MET to github would be cool with them as well, no? I mean, we're all friends here right?

#203 9 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

I think if you kept reading you might get it. The point is someone could get paid to do coding for WB , Lyman , someone else, anyone. I am sure Stern could be talked into letting one of their guys moonlight on an old game like WB in their spare time. Are you not? It's not like it's a threat to them.

If it were something that Lyman wanted to do, was passionate about and got approval for, sure. The reason I'd expect Stern to object is that it's a directly competing product. It's not a "threat" to Stern per se, but it sucks dollars out of the pool of available pinball collector dollars when it ships. IE: People who might have bought the new Stern might buy Wizard Blocks instead.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swf127.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-blocks-2?tu=swf127 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.