image-237.jpg
image-710.jpg
Unknown.jpeg
images.jpeg
images-2.jpeg
images-1.jpeg
cracker jack.jpg
rotatinglight.jpg
There are 242 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 9 years ago
Quoted from Ahoernchen:

I already asked Steve a time ago. He is very friendly and helpful but he is also a busy man. Maybe in near future I can get some videos or pictures.
PPS/Rick are you the actual owner of the licenses, ROMs, software, whitewoods? Are you the person who "could" decide?
Chessiv could you please tell a bit more about your old project? Did you had the software and a playfield?

You know Chessiv's project already. It's called NUcore.

#152 9 years ago
Quoted from Ahoernchen:

That would be great. Please make from both machines videos

Both meaning Playboy too? Honestly not a whole lot to video on that one.

#153 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

You know Chessiv's project already. It's called NUcore.

No I think that was another project.

Quoted from Aurich:

Yes from Playboy also and with sound. Thank you very much!

#154 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I doubt anyone will. Unless one of us can buy that pallet of computer towers. I'd do it. Lots of valuable stuff on those towers. Main thing would be the programming software for the ROMs. Very useful to get ahold of.

Not sure what you are on about

All the latest and current were on the wms pc's that we received all the code which we loaned a copy to the nucore guys under a NDA to see if it was cost affective at that time.

The software in not complete never was, it is on a 32meg eproms/proms, complete code would have been on 64meg which are no longer made in proms or roms that big.

sure roms can be burnt and put on prism cards as it stands but it would need to be redone and all new code added and a system like pinbox or nucore used.

All this software is now in the hands of PPS.

I am sure if someone wants to do it, should call rick directly

#155 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

As the only person who had written any code at all for Playboy, I can guarantee you this is accurate. Also, pretty sure everything was checked in and there's no extra surprise crap sitting on a hard drive somewhere. I also SERIOUSLY doubt there is a cache of un-checked-in code on any of the other programmers' computers.

#156 9 years ago

Ok now I see how those rotating flashers must work. the motor and light are connected to the same thing. I could not tell in the videos of the rotating and light were controlled separately or together.

#157 9 years ago

Do Wizard Blocks and Playboy have also a system-menu for settings etc.? Is there also the option for tournament play / network gaming? Do both games have music and soundeffects?

#158 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

No one would love to see a finished Wizard Blocks more than me but it's just not cost justified.

Just curious what your final price point was for the completed kit at that time?

We see with every new pinball release: the price goes up!

This is why MMR did not work in 2004 but works now. The price of pinball machines, and the cost which collectors will tolerate, keeps going up. ie., MMR in 2004 for $4500 was obviously a dead duck project. MMR in 2014 for $7999 works like a champ.

WB in 200x? for $xxxx might have been dead in the water, but who knows what the future holds? That's why I ask what the old price estimates for finale sale were at the time it was deemed .

I am thinking it's the unknown of programming and animation/art costs which make this project scary, which is very understandable. Compy could probably work up an estimate and time-frame for completing the programming. You'd need artists and animator estimates, which I'm thinking would be significantly pricey.

The playfield and playfield parts are fairly easy to predict cost and get made, as long as you have a solid number to shoot for, say 1000. Assembly? Hmmm, maybe a DIY kit then?

Just thoughts...

#159 9 years ago

Mmr is happening cause sterns factory is building the game. Not saying Chicago gaming couldn't pull it off, but having not done anything for build set up on mmr it would have been costly and a long wait for mmr to get completed. Rick has had all the chips fall correctly with a little luck involved. Glad it's getting done, but don't think it wouldn't take another mirracle to pull off wb cause it would. Redoing a completed game and redoing a incomplete game are night n day.

#160 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Redoing a completed game and redoing a incomplete game are night n day.

Redoing an incomplete game and redoing an incomplete kit game (software and playfield only) are also night n day.

#161 9 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

Redoing an incomplete game and redoing an incomplete kit game (software and playfield only) are also night n day.

I really don't understand why you think this.

How much of a new game project (especially one with an existing cabinet spec) do you think working on the cabinet is?

#162 9 years ago

Bottom line is the cost am I correct?

If so, have all the parties that are capable of actually producing WB in any form( Full machine, Playfield, Kit Playfield) have actually sat down together to determine the completed cost to build it and then come up with what they consider would be the appropriate sales price to reap a profit?

This is a serious question without such a complete hash it out meeting with all parties involved, Animators,Software Programmers ,Lawyers, Builders etc..) together coming up with a real cost to build number how can the project be discarded as just a dream?

What would that price be?

Toss it out to the masses and see what feedback you would get. That would determine once and for all if it would be a worthwhile project to undertake.

Maybe just maybe some of the talent that would create the machine would not charge so much as it could be part labor of love and being part of such a great project and just wanting to see it get done. (Highly Unlikely but you never know)

I would love to see WB made. Impossible of course not. Bottom line is money.

#163 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

How much of a new game project (especially one with an existing cabinet spec) do you think working on the cabinet is?

No, I wasn't referring so much to R&D but simply the overall cost/overhead/delivery/storage factor of the project.

A company would not have to cost, run and deliver 1000 cabinets, 1000 displays, 1000 coin doors, 1000 sets of transformer blocks, etc etc....for a kit game as they would a fully assembled machine. That's all I meant. Leaving out all that HAS to lessen the headaches of a project like this, no?

A fully built, new P2k machine vs. a populated playfield (or bare playfield with a parts kit). It might not be 'night n day' but it has to at least be early and late evening.

Plus the playfields and playfield parts are designed and spec'd. We know 1000 playfields is actually a relatively easy thing to get done, these days. 1000 ramp sets, plastic sets, hardware sets, etc....that can all be made relatively easily.

So it's mainly the software, which is not only incomplete but the consensus is needs a total redo using the existing software as a template, which is the great unknown. Programming, art and animation seem to be the big three hiccups moving forward, it would seem.

#164 9 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

Bottom line is the cost am I correct?
If so, have all the parties that are capable of actually producing WB in any form( Full machine, Playfield, Kit Playfield) have actually sat down together to determine the completed cost to build it and then come up with what they consider would be the appropriate sales price to reap a profit?
This is a serious question without such a complete hash it out meeting with all parties involved, Animators,Software Programmers ,Lawyers, Builders etc..) together coming up with a real cost to build number how can the project be discarded as just a dream?
What would that price be?
Toss it out to the masses and see what feedback you would get. That would determine once and for all if it would be a worthwhile project to undertake.
Maybe just maybe some of the talent that would create the machine would not charge so much as it could be part labor of love and being part of such a great project and just wanting to see it get done. (Highly Unlikely but you never know)
I would love to see WB made. Impossible of course not. Bottom line is money.

The people who can do all the things it takes for this to happen don't want to do it... On top of everything that's a unknown like finding someone to finish programming it, finding someone to finish designing it, finding someone to build the parts, getting all the ducks in a row that u don't know the cost... It's taking a year to rebuild a mmr.. They can build three more repo games before they finish wb to build it... I want it as much as the next guy, never going to happen. Move along!

#165 9 years ago

And so I will.

According to some that can pull off this project who by the way have posted on this thread, would like to do it, the issue is money.

Its not lack of programing, builders, parts sourcing ( would be hard but not impossible) etc Its the lack of MONEY.

Wizard Blocks is not made because it needs Wizard Bucks.

If I'm mistaken please anyone that can do the project PPS ,Chuck etc tell me Im wrong or is there something so incredibly spectacularly technologically sophisticated about Wizard blocks that it can never be created even with modern technology which almost says that the Pin2k Platform should never have existed.

If the powers that be agreed on a satisfactory figure for both profit and consumers I believe WB would get made.

#166 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Probably because the playfield in question is already designed. From a design aspect, it's already there. Artwork, already done. Just have to be pieced together and the software finished. Many months of development are already done.

#167 9 years ago

This kind of thing seems like a perfect fit for a Kickstarter or other crowdfunding. Want WB finished? Raise 6 figures. Want Lyman Sheets to do the programming on your new project? Launch a Kickstarter and when you reach 6 figures, give him a call. People sometimes do unexpected things when offered $100,000. Obviously not needed for WB but it seems like the crowdfunding thing is working. Might work for pinball.

#168 9 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

This kind of thing seems like a perfect fit for a Kickstarter or other crowdfunding. Want WB finished? Raise 6 figures. Want Lyman Sheets to do the programming on your new project? Launch a Kickstarter and when you reach 6 figures, give him a call. People sometimes do unexpected things when offered $100,000. Obviously not needed for WB but it seems like the crowdfunding thing is working. Might work for pinball.

more like 7 figures ...

#169 9 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

Want Lyman Sheets to do the programming on your new project?

I doubt Lyman is going to give up his job for a six figure payday and my guess is Stern might have a problem with him taking a leave of absence to work on a competing product.

Quoted from PPS:

more like 7 figures ..

I don't know Lyman, but one would presume it would need to be in "F. U. number" territory.

I'm not sure why you guys are so fixated on this pin. How many pins that come out look great when you see photos or short video clips but SUCK when you sit down and really play them?

#170 9 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

I'm not sure why you guys are so fixated on this pin

You always desire most what you can not have.

#171 9 years ago

So forget Lyman, and see what it would cost with hobbyists doing the programming. Someone is making a whole new Pin2K game (Haunted Cruise) for fun. Seems to me that if someone can do that, one could just as easily release WB. But for the intellectual property hurdles, it would be a simpler project, as the playfield layout and artwork are already designed.

#172 9 years ago

I'd make a new 3D model for the wizard in the game.

The one in there now looks like a pedo.

#173 9 years ago

Just noticed it's the "birthday" of the main Pinball 2000 patent - 1 more year until you can make that Sorcerer's Cubes™... https://www.google.com/patents/US6036188#legal-events

#174 9 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

So forget Lyman, and see what it would cost with hobbyists doing the programming.

Compy can certainly do it. He's replied earlier in this thread that he'd be interested.

Quoted from swf127:

I'm not sure why you guys are so fixated on this pin. How many pins that come out look great when you see photos or short video clips but SUCK when you sit down and really play them?

The basic theme and goals of WB just seem so brilliant a use of the platform, to me. Using the screen as a static changing target, attempting to manipulate it to an optimal scoring tier by hitting this block but not hitting the other once it's in position, arranging them for maximum benefit. Yes, there's a bit of that in some other P2k stuff...the SPIN card game, etc. But it seemed to be the real foundation of WB, all about accuracy and a shot selection puzzle strategy game.

Quoted from vid1900:

And yeah, I'm sure there's some of that as well. Same with the allure around KP, BBB, etc. Most machines which never make it past the proto/sample phase seem to have a bit of that.

#175 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It is much more than that. To many of us, P2000 is a fantastic platform that died before it could reach its full potential. WB holds the promise of approaching that potential. After all, it is a Lawlor design. Also, another option for a drop-in game for us P2000 owners is virtually a no-brainer, particularly those of us with more of a space problem than a cash problem.

#176 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Probably because the playfield in question is already designed. From a design aspect, it's already there. Artwork, already done. Just have to be pieced together and the software finished. Many months of development are already done.

the software is tied to that old platform that is tied to old PC hardware.

So it may need new OS + game software.

#177 9 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

I doubt Lyman is going to give up his job for a six figure payday and my guess is Stern might have a problem with him taking a leave of absence to work on a competing product.

I'd leave my job for a one time payoff of 6 figures.

#178 9 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

It is much more than that. To many of us, P2000 is a fantastic platform that died before it could reach its full potential. WB holds the promise of approaching that potential. After all, it is a Lawlor design. Also, another option for a drop-in game for us P2000 owners is virtually a no-brainer, particularly those of us with more of a space problem than a cash problem.

Exactly, every newer game would utilize the structure better. What we saw in EP1 and RFM was just the tip of the iceberg. the potential for what p2k could have been, is mindblowing. Hence why those of us that acknowledge p2k as the new AGE in pinball, want to see more things created for it. We can vision what could be done, and never got to see.

#179 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Yeah, for $100,000 I'll do the code AND get somebody awesome for the graphics on any P-ROC or WPC2 title you want.

#180 9 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

No, I wasn't referring so much to R&D but simply the overall cost/overhead/delivery/storage factor of the project.
A company would not have to cost, run and deliver 1000 cabinets, 1000 displays, 1000 coin doors, 1000 sets of transformer blocks, etc etc....for a kit game as they would a fully assembled machine. That's all I meant. Leaving out all that HAS to lessen the headaches of a project like this, no?

I would say building the cabinet is the easiest part.

Quoted from mechslave:

Plus the playfields and playfield parts are designed and spec'd. We know 1000 playfields is actually a relatively easy thing to get done, these days. 1000 ramp sets, plastic sets, hardware sets, etc....that can all be made relatively easily.

No offense but the fact the you say all of this is easy shows you really have no idea what goes into making a pinball machine. It's anything but easy.

Quoted from mechslave:

So it's mainly the software, which is not only incomplete but the consensus is needs a total redo using the existing software as a template, which is the great unknown. Programming, art and animation seem to be the big three hiccups moving forward, it would seem.

This I agree with. Although again, you are really underestimating the scope of everything else.

#181 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Good pinball programmers should easily make six figures. On the low side but six figures.

#182 9 years ago

As for luring talent with a six figure payday, I suspect the first digit has got to be a lot closer to 9 than 1.

If WMS had stayed in pinball, I have no doubt that WB would have turned the tide and it certainly is the ultimate "what if" title. As much as I would *love* to see a WB game or kit, I just don't see it ever happening, even in the $8k price range (which I would probably pay for a completed WB, but I suspect I'm in a very small minority).

If PPS makes/markets one (seemingly the only snowball that may stand a chance), I'll buy one. But I just don't see how it will ever become anything more than a footnote in pinball history.

#183 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Good pinball programmers should easily make six figures. On the low side but six figures.

maybe so, but it's all I would need to not have to work again.

#184 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

As for luring talent with a six figure payday, I suspect the first digit has got to be a lot closer to 9 than 1.

Heh, no kidding, that's what it would take for me to up and quit my job. In fact, just forget any other numbers exist, and just use 9s.

#185 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

maybe so, but it's all I would need to not have to work again.

you could live off of 100k for the rest of your life?

#186 9 years ago

#187 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

No offense but the fact the you say all of this is easy shows you really have no idea what goes into making a pinball machine. It's anything but easy

Which is why I wrote "relatively" knowing that someone would *still* call me crazy for calling it "easy." And I've actually built a partial whitewood myself from scratch, so I have a bit of an idea how "not easy" making a pinball machine is.

What I mean is that it's not an insurmountable task to produce these parts if they've already designed, made and spec'd. Playfields and playfield parts are made every day by many different vendors. Ramps, plastics, metal, and screened playfields are all reproduced by different vendors everyday for our old machines. Those things are very possible but not easy. (How's that?) In other words, those things should not hold up a project like this. I sort of figured most would understand what I was saying, and I think they did.

I was trying to narrow it down to the actual thing which limits this project's possibility, which I think is the art/animation and programming new code.

#188 9 years ago

This was a prototype machine(s), would the tooling for the ramps and custom elements still exist? In fact, would there even be real tooling to begin with? Maybe it was just a couple quick molds to make a few casts for prototyping? Making proper tooling could be a big cost. Yes yes others have and still do it, but that doesn't change the fact that it ain't cheap to make.
Same with the playfield drawings... those may still need to tweaked/updated a bit before they're finalized for mass cutting. Those playfields could have been hand made as well (unlikely but possible). As long as you have all the inserts and parts it really takes only about 4 days for a knowledgeable worker to cut and prepare a whitewood. 2 or 3 could be done at once (Others worked on while previous one's glue and clear dry), so 3 whitewoods ready for population in ~4 days. Doesn't sound unreasonable a task for a full time worker to do.
There's a lot of stuff still hand made for prototyping even in this day in age. Again I'm not saying this is what happened 'cause I don't know, I'm just giving some possibilities as to what playfield work may be left to do and why.

#189 9 years ago

image-992.jpgimage-992.jpgimage-237.jpgimage-237.jpgimage-710.jpgimage-710.jpgimage-677.jpgimage-677.jpgimage-710.jpgimage-710.jpg

#190 9 years ago

I was lucky to play wizard blocks last year ...
With a great Friend (Wotto) that asked me to come to the USA to meet up with him.

I was also privileged to play a playboy proto type.

#191 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

image-710.jpg 16 KB

image-237.jpg 49 KB

image-677.jpg 31 KB

image-992.jpg 22 KB

Hmmmm, not sure what you're saying here......

Chris

#192 9 years ago

It would be great to go back in the future ..
back to the future.jpgback to the future.jpg

instead of this pinball being reproduced ????.. / or should i say completed

It should be left as a iconic pinball ......

it would be better if Bally / Williams would start up again and that would be great for pinball

#193 9 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Hmmmm, not sure what you're saying here......

I only beat a dead horse with another dead horse. A bat won't get the job done.

#194 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Good pinball programmers should easily make six figures. On the low side but six figures

That's true of just about anyone but I doubt it's true for Lyman. He's a brand in his own right at this point and the fact he worked on a game drives sales. If Stern doesn't have him in a set of golden handcuffs at this point, they're idiots.

#195 9 years ago

LOL - Stern does not own Lyman. I am sure he could do whatever he wants in his free time. If $100,000 for 3 nights a week and one day a weekend sounded good to him, he might do it. Anyone might. And what if he could do the whole thing on weekends alone? Or in 5 minutes because he is the master ?

Y'all are too easy!

The real point though is one could hire "someone" to complete code with Kickstarter money. There could be a crowd funding project for WB. Once a certain amount is pledged, THEN we decide what to do with the money. Reverse engineer, start fresh, etc. If $10,000,000 showed up would it get done? Yes. $1,000,000 ? Might not get it done. So somewhere in between. And if you don't reach your goals...what do you lose?

Ok , no, the real question is if you make a game did you make it or did someone else? I am used to the factory being the maker. Or is the Worm the maker? I can never remember. Shai-Hulud!

#196 9 years ago

Like I said no Wizard Bucks no Wizard Blocks!!!!!!!

#197 9 years ago

I'd ask that the all-knowing peanut gallery find somewhere else to post if you aren't going to add anything to discussion other than "Move ON!" and "Stop beating a Dead Horse!"

You do realize that for years the reproduction of MM was thrown in the same category by the all-knowing peanut gallery of negativity, right?

And by the way, if everyone is SO SURE that this is a dead end project, maybe Rick should just release all the code, parts list, designs, drawings, etc for public use. I mean, since everyone is so positive nothing will ever be done with WB. Then release everything to the pinball community, and I can make one for myself. Sound good?

#198 9 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

I'd ask that the all-knowing peanut gallery find somewhere else to post if you aren't going to add anything to discussion other than "Move ON!" and "Stop beating a Dead Horse!"
You do realize that for years the reproduction of MM was thrown in the same category by the all-knowing peanut gallery of negativity, right?
And by the way, if everyone is SO SURE that this is a dead end project, maybe Rick should just release all the code, parts list, designs, drawings, etc for public use. I mean, since everyone is so positive nothing will ever be done with WB. Then release everything to the pinball community, and I can make one for myself. Sound good?

Pingeorge will make you one! He's talented

#199 9 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

LOL - Stern does not own Lyman. I am sure he could do whatever he wants in his free time. If $100,000 for 3 nights a week and one day a weekend sounded good to him, he might do it. Anyone might. And what if he could do the whole thing on weekends alone? Or in 5 minutes because he is the master ?

If Lyman isn't under some type of non-disclosure and non-competition agreement, that would be funny. If that were true after they took on venture capital, I'd be stunned. Then again, I'm sure in your model him uploading the code for MET to github would be cool with them as well, no? I mean, we're all friends here right?

#200 9 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

If Lyman isn't under some type of non-disclosure and non-competition agreement, that would be funny. If that were true after they took on venture capital, I'd be stunned. Then again, I'm sure in your model him uploading the code for MET to github would be cool with them as well, no? I mean, we're all friends here right?

I think if you kept reading you might get it. The point is someone could get paid to do coding for WB , Lyman , someone else, anyone. I am sure Stern could be talked into letting one of their guys moonlight on an old game like WB in their spare time. Are you not? It's not like it's a threat to them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 242 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-blocks-2/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.