image-237.jpg
image-710.jpg
Unknown.jpeg
images.jpeg
images-2.jpeg
images-1.jpeg
cracker jack.jpg
rotatinglight.jpg
There are 242 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'd much rather see Kingpin happen anyways.

^^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^

#102 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's a lot more done than people give it credit for

^^^^ and this ^^^^^

#103 9 years ago

^^^^^^^ and this for that and this for the thing before that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

#104 9 years ago

#105 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I was told first hand that the code is much farther along than people know. More so than what was in the playable WB. But it's stuck on the damn harddrive in one of Genes leaky buildings that looks like a set from the movie "Saw".

I have the source code Neo...

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

How? Gene doesn't even know where those drives are. There is more advanced version of the software on those harddrives than what people have and was released to that proto game.

#107 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Where did you get this?

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

How? Gene doesn't even know where those drives are. There is more advanced version of the software on those harddrives than what people have and was released to that proto game.

Are you sure?

#108 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

There is more advanced version of the software on those hard drives than what people have.

Apparently somewhere there is a wizard blocking access to the advanced software.

#110 9 years ago

Contrary to what Gene may have said there are massive volumes of cds that are backups to everything wms had on their servers before the place went under. Gene had a copy in shoeboxes, literally. Don and I along with a few other pinball vendors were looking into reproducing wb a few years back. The price was too high to make any profit, at the time and it wouldn't have been smart to reuse the old software given the advances in technology over the last 14 years.

#111 9 years ago
Quoted from Ahoernchen:

Is there someone who lives near IPC /Gene and can talk with him about it or look for that old stuff? Or is Gene/IPC so uncooperative?

Gene is apparently locked out of his own warehouses due to an ongoing lawsuit, so expect that with no heat, no electricity and no care - everything is probably ruined.

#112 9 years ago

Did you talk with the software programmer? From what I was told, there is a lot of modes and stuff that are sitting there ready to be integrated into the main program. It's in pieces, but chunks of it are done. Maybe those backups don't have everything?

#113 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Contrary to what Gene may have said there are massive volumes of cds that are backups to everything wms had on their servers before the place went under. Gene had a copy in shoeboxes, literally. Don and I along with a few other pinball vendors were looking into reproducing wb a few years back. The price was too high to make any profit, at the time and it wouldn't have been smart to reuse the old software given the advances in technology over the last 14 years.

That is incredible to hear. So you have also the developing tools of p2k?

How did you be able to test the software? Was it possible to flash a prismcard with that software?

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Did you talk with the software programmer? From what I was told, there is a lot of modes and stuff that are sitting there ready to be integrated into the main program. It's in pieces, but chunks of it are done. Maybe those backups don't have everything?

Do you know something more about it?

#114 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Gene is apparently locked out of his own warehouses due to an ongoing lawsuit, so expect that with no heat, no electricity and no care - everything is probably ruined.

It's been like that for the past 10 years. Add leaky roofs to that as well, high humidity and conditions that would make buffalo bills capture hole look like a palace, compared to Genes storage facilities.

#115 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Is it possible, sure. Likely? Who knows. But until anyone sees it I wouldn't believe it.

#116 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Is it possible, sure. Likely? Who knows. But until anyone sees it I wouldn't believe it.

I doubt anyone will. Unless one of us can buy that pallet of computer towers. I'd do it. Lots of valuable stuff on those towers. Main thing would be the programming software for the ROMs. Very useful to get ahold of.

#117 9 years ago

#118 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I think part of Chucks point is that you'd need new computers in them anyway - so you're probably better off just re-writing it, rather than build it with the original code for the outdated hardware.

#119 9 years ago

#120 9 years ago
Quoted from Ahoernchen:

So if it were possible to get the software than I have to speak/ask Gene?

He is locked out and has no access to it right now.

#121 9 years ago

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from Ahoernchen:

And Gene is the only person who can decide?

Right now it sounds like a judge is the only one who can decide.

#123 9 years ago
Quoted from Ahoernchen:

And Gene is the only person who can decide?

Search Pinside. Chapter 7 means a bankruptcy court decides.

LTG : )™

#124 9 years ago

#125 9 years ago

Wizard Blocks isn't going to be remade. It's just not. And if for some crazy reason it happened (but it won't) Gene wouldn't have a thing to do with it, that bridge was crossed and tossed a long time ago. It's a piece of pinball history, and that's how it's going to stay. Better to just accept that and let it go.

Ahoernchen, if you really want to play the whitewood then come to Southern California next time Pinsane does an open party, I'm sure he'd welcome anyone like he's done in the past.

#126 9 years ago

It's weird that whatever title is being worked on when a company closes it's doors suddenly becomes the brass ring. Given it's not done and very few of us have played one, I'm not sure I understand the emotional investiture. It's an unfinished game on a dead platform that is legally encumbered to such an extent it's unclear who owns it. It sounds like THE tar baby of the pinball world.

It would be cheaper/faster to build a knock-off called "Sorceror Cubes" than it would be to try and complete what exists. The reality is there's nothing sacred about the existing rule set other than that's what they had when the doors closed.

Post edited by swf127

#127 9 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

"Sorceror Cubes"

Catchy!

#128 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's a very cool artifact of what could have been, the collector who owns it appreciates the history and is glad to share it with people, and that's about the best we could hope for.

This is SO true. In the Neo Geo scene, prototypes end up in the hands of selfish pricks who won't even acknowledge publicly that they own them, let alone invite other people to try the games.

For a game as important as Wizard Blocks to be in the hands of someone who appreciates it for what it is and lets others enjoy it is a massive win for the pinball community.

#129 9 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

It's weird that whatever title is being worked on when a company closes it's doors suddenly becomes the brass ring. Given it's not done and very few of us have played one, I'm not sure I understand the emotional investiture. It's an unfinished game on a dead platform that is legally encumbered to such an extent it's unclear who owns it. It sounds like THE tar baby of the pinball world.
It would be cheaper/faster to build a knock-off called "Sorceror Cubes" than it would be to try and complete what exists. The reality is there's nothing sacred about the existing rule set other than that's what they had when the doors closed.
Post edited by swf127

So, you have no interest in playing Bally/Williams' last pinball game?

#130 9 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

Post edited by swf127

As a Pin2k owner/fan, it is a big deal to me. According to most accounts(interviews with Williams employees) it was *the* game that got the pin2k format down to the perfect mix of pinball and video. That's hardly surprising though, as it was designed by the co-creator of the format and he had time to really look at what didn't work on the other two. That, and he's Pat-Freaking-Lawlor(pinball god). It's a little sad, but now I've built this game up in my head so much that if it were it ever be made, it wouldn't live up to the legend I'm sure lol.

#131 9 years ago

Guys ... just to set the record here. We have all the code for Wizard Blocks. We are the only company allowed via our license to have it and to do anything with it (or those who we delegate). That being said, all of the points are true a) it's not very done and needs alot more work, b) it's probably better to re-write in a 'new' programming environment running on a new computer, c) you have to go source the parts, and a bunch of other stuff to get it done ... and then it's really a crapshoot as to whether you can get a hundred or two hundred people to fork over the $ to make it available (how many thousands of $ will it be? ... nobody works for free - programmers, artist, designer, BOM, accounting, etc) ... maybe we should start up a game designer simulation game to help everyone understand why alot of game ideas get started but very few get finished ...

rick

#132 9 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

For a game as important as Wizard Blocks to be in the hands of someone who appreciates it for what it is and lets others enjoy it is a massive win for the pinball community.

I absolutely agree with this. It's a piece of pinball history that deserves to be preserved and if the owner is sharing it with the community, that's icing on the cake.

#133 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Guys ... just to set the record here. We have all the code for Wizard Blocks. We are the only company allowed via our license to have it and to do anything with it (or those who we delegate). That being said, all of the points are true a) it's not very done and needs alot more work, b) it's probably better to re-write in a 'new' programming environment running on a new computer, c) you have to go source the parts, and a bunch of other stuff to get it done ... and then it's really a crapshoot as to whether you can get a hundred or two hundred people to fork over the $ to make it available (how many thousands of $ will it be? ... nobody works for free - programmers, artist, designer, BOM, accounting, etc) ... maybe we should start up a game designer simulation game to help everyone understand why alot of game ideas get started but very few get finished ...
rick

Hey Rick,

I would genuinely like to know how many people would you need to voice interest in this, and and what dollar amount, for you to give producing Wizard Blocks serious consideration?

Thanks,

Collin

#134 9 years ago

I don't need to have anyone interested in it, other than someone who puts together a credible business proposal and then covers all of the MANY bases that need to be covered in it, and it makes sense ... I expect that the people that have the technical, the business, and the mechanical accumen are few and far between ... but we're all ears if something credible pops up (hint ... pinside proposals are 'not' generally credible ... lol).

#135 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

I don't need to have anyone interested in it, other than someone who puts together a credible business proposal and then covers all of the MANY bases that need to be covered in it, and it makes sense ... I expect that the people that have the technical, the business, and the mechanical accumen are few and far between ... but we're all ears if something credible pops up (hint ... pinside proposals are 'not' generally credible ... lol).

Ask Neo...it's so cheap and easy according to him!

#136 9 years ago

there was one guy who was going to make one complete but suddenly it was stopped for some reasons.

i followed everything he did, so sad that he had to stop... and i'm wondering why.

http://www.specialpinball.de/html/wizard_blocks.html

#137 9 years ago

maybe he's one of those without a business plan?

#138 9 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

This is SO true. In the Neo Geo scene, prototypes end up in the hands of selfish pricks who won't even acknowledge publicly that they own them, let alone invite other people to try the games.

In the Neo Geo community, you'd have to be an idiot to announce ownership of any rare / valuable cart...they'll find you and smash your cartridge in order to increase the value of theirs. Never go to France then they'll get you for sure.

#139 9 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

So, you have no interest in playing Bally/Williams' last pinball game?

Oddly enough probably not but let me explain why. Creating anything of any real value is usually an iterative process. Geniuses might be able to lay out something with no changes, but the rest of us are constantly making adjustments as we go to reach the intended goal. I've written quite a bit in my career (software & otherwise) and if I were forced to abandon an effort mid-stream, I'd have mixed feelings about people holding it up as my coda. If you want to play it out of historical interest or to understand how a pin evolves during development, then I totally get that. I just think hiring a pack of bozos to pick up where a guy like Lawlor et al. left off and try and call it a Lawlor pin is doing him and pinball a disservice.

Quoted from Jnewton:

According to most accounts(interviews with Williams employees) it was *the* game that got the pin2k format down to the perfect mix of pinball and video.

I think pin2k was an interesting technical achievement that had a great deal of potential. I'm not denigrating anyone's work. All I'm saying is that nostalgia is a powerful force. It's one of the big reasons we're all here, right? We're grown up a bit, are well-off enough to buy some toys and we're buying all the crap we liked in our late teens and twenties. If you're going to move things forward, we can borrow ideas and concepts from a platform like pin2k, but I wouldn't limit ourselves to what already exists. I'm far more excited about what Heck & spooky are doing precisely because they're opening up the platform. They're making it accessible in a way that's never been done before. If I have to choose where to spend my money, it's a remarkably easy decision.

#140 9 years ago

It'd be great to see wizard blocks materialize some day. There are only a few fools I can think of that would even consider attempting it though, and even then it'd be a long shot.
As peeps have already said, there's a lot of different talents needed to make a game, none of which are free. Also, in the case of pin 2k, there's a lot of additional full colour screen animations needed for the platform. Sure there isn't cabinet cost or anything like that for a kit, but instead you've gotta pay a ton more $$$ to an animator for the in-game art. Making a typical dot animation is fairly easy, making a full colour intractable animation is a whole different beast.

#141 9 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

Creating anything of any real value is usually an iterative process.

Bang on. Ideas are only 1%. It's all about the process.

#142 9 years ago

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

rick

Thanks for the update Rick. Personally, I think this game is worth the effort.

I think the spec'ing and sourcing the parts would be one of the largest obstacles, does PP have any parts lists or a functioning whitewood? Or are all the physical parts in the hands of collectors?

I think Compy is a very capable programmer, just going from the samples we've seen of the stuff he's put together in the P2k format by himself from scratch. Would need artists and animators to go with, and yes they cost $$.

But the good news is that I don't think it's as much of a crapshoot to get the hundred or two hundred people to fork over the cash as you think. Well, it depends on the amount of course. Bryan was guessing $5k for a full kit with sideart. I think that may be high, but even at that price point, I can almost guarantee you'd get 200+ preorders if the final number of kits were numbered and limited to, say, 500 or 1000.

I think we should keep hope alive! I mean, yes a lot of obstacles, but it's still just building a playfield with software to go with. No cabinet, no cabinet parts, no monitors, etc. Just building a populated playfield with an art kit, and getting someone to do(redo) the software and art/animations. Difficult, yes, but doable!

#144 9 years ago
Quoted from Ahoernchen:

The reason about my posts are that I want to see the last two P2K games or to play it for myself. Sadly the only two videos on the internet are in a horrible quality so you can't enjoy a complete gameplay.

I'm sure we can do something about that, I'll ask Steve if he would mind next time I'm over there. If nothing else I can shoot a little HD from my iPhone, will be better than what's out there now.

#145 9 years ago

I think that people that estimate the 'price' for something a) don't include any overhead (NRE, accting, etc), b) don't include margin for resale (if there is any), c) the time value of their time, d) the real costs of everypart, etc at qtys < 200 are SO MUCH HIGHER than for qty 1000 so multiply your BOM costs by upwards of 2x, e) the cost of assembly, subassembly, f) the costs for UL / FCC / certification (all games should be that are sold), g) all the other costs that you don't even know but are usually much higher than you expected, h) license costs (if any), i) subcontractor costs (artists, programmers, etc) and j) some profit at the end for those involved. What happens when you cobble together people on a complex project like this is that it usually falls apart over time ...

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

I think that people that estimate the 'price' for something a) don't include any overhead (NRE, accting, etc), b) don't include margin for resale (if there is any), c) the time value of their time, d) the real costs of everypart, etc at qtys < 200 are SO MUCH HIGHER than for qty 1000 so multiply your BOM costs by upwards of 2x, e) the cost of assembly, subassembly, f) the costs for UL / FCC / certification (all games should be that are sold), g) all the other costs that you don't even know but are usually much higher than you expected, h) license costs (if any), i) subcontractor costs (artists, programmers, etc) and j) some profit at the end for those involved. What happens when you cobble together people on a complex project like this is that it usually falls apart over time ...

Back before Rick bought the rights from Wayne, Don and I had a green light from WMS, Wayne and Gene to create wizard blocks. We also had the original BOM and supplier list. I ran numbers on the whole thing and with everyone involved there was little to no profit and a high probability for cost overruns. I killed the project because I didn't feel like funding a losing deal. Maybe with the crazy prices people are paying for pins now someone could pickup the project and make money. I doubt people would want to pay based on my estimates but who knows. No one would love to see a finished wizard blocks more than me but it's just not cost justified.

#147 9 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

Last time these came up in discussion you mentioned you might have some sitting in a drawer somewhere and be able to take some pictures?

Turns out I do have some (tiny) pictures of these after all, so somebody must have sent them to me last time I asked - thanks.

Unknown.jpegUnknown.jpegimages.jpegimages.jpegimages-2.jpegimages-2.jpegimages-1.jpegimages-1.jpeg

#148 9 years ago

#149 9 years ago
Quoted from Ahoernchen:

I already asked Steve a time ago. He is very friendly and helpful but he is also a busy man. Maybe in near future I can get some videos or pictures.

I was sitting 6 feet from that machine the other night, it wouldn't have been a big deal to shoot a short video on my phone for you if I'd known it was wanted so badly. So long as Steve doesn't mind, and I doubt he would, I'll try and remember next time I see it.

#150 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I was sitting 6 feet from that machine the other night, it wouldn't have been a big deal to shoot a short video on my phone for you if I'd known it was wanted so badly. So long as Steve doesn't mind, and I doubt he would, I'll try and remember next time I see it.

That would be great. Please make from both machines videos

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 242 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-blocks-2/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.