Topic Stats

• 242 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Ahoernchen
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 11 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

back to the future.jpg
image-992.jpg
image-677.jpg
image-237.jpg
image-710.jpg
Unknown.jpeg
images.jpeg
images-2.jpeg
images-1.jpeg
cracker jack.jpg
rotatinglight.jpg

There are 242 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 7 years ago

500 kits @ $2500 preorder.... you think WB could be finished and made? 1000 @ $2000?

There's a lot of room ($$$) there for dev costs, since you'd be finishing software and making a playfield kit. No cabinet, hardware, etc... just a kitable playfield with software.

Seems like it could be done, a lot easier to make than a full finished machine! Gene and Planetary? Pigs fly?

#3 7 years ago

Isn't the code nowhere near finished? How would you ensure the finished game is what Pat Lawlor envisioned if he has no interest whatsoever in helping see it get finished?

#4 7 years ago

I would love to see WB made,full machine though

#5 7 years ago

They'd need to contract out someone to continue the vision and finish the software.

Duncan Brown, who was doing the original software and working with Pat, could easily do it if he wanted to, and was well compensated. A million dollars still buys a lot of software dev, I think!!

Compy, where ya at??

Making a playfield kit, with a 'finished' playfield to use as a template, seems like the easy part. The potential of that layout/software/vision is still very intriguing!

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from scooter:

I would love to see WB made,full machine though

Full machine would add so many complications to the production. Just a playfield (with an optional art kit) would do the trick. Existing P2k machines are cheaper (probably by half) than what you'd end up paying for someone to manufacture new ones.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

500 kits @ $2500 preorder.... you think WB could be finished and made? 1000 @ $2000?
There's a lot of room ($$$) there for dev costs, since you'd be finishing software and making a playfield kit. No cabinet, hardware, etc... just a kitable playfield with software.
Seems like it could be done, a lot easier to make than a full finished machine! Gene and Planetary? Pigs fly?

I know someone in the industry that looked into having this done. They told me $5000 would be a minimum for the drop in playfield and also side art so you could turn your RFM or SWE1 into a WB. It wasn't just the complexity of getting the parts made and the playfields assembled, it was more so who you had to deal with to get things done.

#8 7 years ago

pingeorge started to do his own version of wizard blocks....from last i heard he was scrapping it and doing a retheme as magic blocks to avoid copy infringement issues..and when he gets it done there will only be one or two made....with that said this is beating a dead horse no one is doing anything with it...people now feel a pin2k project would be cool since all these custom pin start ups are going......jjp and pps have a good relationship...im guessing gene owns some pin2k rights???? the ideal situation would be to ask jack, rick and gene to get together and produce the kits. im not sure what pats l. is doing on a daily basis but ted estes is at jjp maybe he can talk pat into finishing the project with him?? maybe pat would want to do a new pin2k kit project theme and jjp could build it...putting people together to talk gets these things moving forward...

#9 7 years ago

I'm more interested in those rotary flasher things. Never seen anything like them before on a pin.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

it was more so who you had to deal with to get things done.

That's unfortunate, but not surprising.

$5000 puts it out of the realm of feasibility for most. Wonder what kind of production numbers went into the $5000 estimate?

There's a LOT of money to be made if they sharpened their pencils and got the price down and took pre-orders with a reputable software developer. $2500 would be a safe price point, for 500-1000 preorders. For enough cash, maybe the 'who you had to deal with' would walk away, license out the entire project and wash his hands of it for a small payday.

#11 7 years ago

This topic has been kicked around for 13 years now. If there was a way for someone to finish the game and make money on it, someone would have probably done it by now. Nobody in their right mind is going to resurrect Pin2k. Look how much time and effort it takes to build a modern game with tools and technology people understand. It would takes years for anyone to do any kind of Pin2k title. Getting the rights to use the parts and technology adds more cost and complexity to the equation. I thought Pin2k was great - so great that RFM was one of my first NIBs back then. Unfortunately, it's just a piece of pinball history and we'll just never know what it's full potential could have been.

#12 7 years ago

Nucore closing shop killed any hope of this being made

#13 7 years ago

Hopefully Borygard can shed some light on this subject. He knows quite a bit about WB and he was also present at the tomb opening when the 4 crates of destiny were cracked open by Gene himself.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

Compy, where ya at??

He wants to do this,I think it can happen,Miles to go first.

#15 7 years ago

I have held our hope for years, but agree due to the messy rights issues that it just ain't gonna happen. There's no way they could do it at $2500, it would have to be closer to $4-5k, so everybody can get a cut. Plus, apparently Pat wants no part of it and to me it just wouldn't feel right if it didn't have his "blessing".

#16 7 years ago

You could probably rebuild this game from scratch faster than you could complete the work on an ancient hardware system.

#17 7 years ago

Would a hefty dose of cash from a Kickstarter grease the skids a bit for this project? Just askin'.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from RandyV:

This topic has been kicked around for 13 years now

Yeah, obviously.

But there have also been chunks of years in there where the pinball market was barely a flicker of light from a spark. It's a roaring wild fire, at present.

What someone thought about it 13 years ago, or even 3 years ago, matters not at ALL! It only matters what is possible NOW.

Quoted from RandyV:

Nobody in their right mind is going to resurrect Pin2k.

Nobody in their right mind is even discussing that.

Again, the topic is finishing the development of a game which was a functioning whitewood with incomplete software, and the feasibility of contracting out the completion of software and producing a playfield kit (with optional art) to drop into existing P2k machined, funded by a couple million dollars of preorders.

#19 7 years ago

When I talked with Pat Lawlor at Expo in 2009 he said that the code was about 10 % complete. Wally

#20 7 years ago

$5k for WB.....LOL no way. Game looks kind of lame anyways

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from RandyV:

If there was a way for someone to finish the game and make money on it, someone would have probably done it by now.

Every time WB comes up, you will end up here.

LTG : )

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I know someone in the industry that looked into having this done. They told me $5000 would be a minimum for the drop in playfield and also side art so you could turn your RFM or SWE1 into a WB. It wasn't just the complexity of getting the parts made and the playfields assembled, it was more so who you had to deal with to get things done.

And at 5k there isn't enough profit to make it worthwhile. I have the original BOM and the code, where it was left. No one would want to use the existing code base. It would have to be mostly re-written. I tried to make it happen but in the end it would not have been a fun or profitable venture at the time. Of course people are paying silly prices for machines now. If you could sell playfield kits for 6500 it would at least be a profitable venture.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

You could probably rebuild this game from scratch faster than you could complete the work on an ancient hardware system.

^ absolutely true.

#24 7 years ago

i would pay 3500us in a second if it was available

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from starfighter:

Hopefully Borygard can shed some light on this subject. He knows quite a bit about WB and he was also present at the tomb opening when the 4 crates of destiny were cracked open by Gene himself.

A few years ago I'd have said this could very well happen, in fact I offered to head up the project to see that kits got done. Today, knowing what I know, as disappointed as I am to admit this, it's just not going to happen. Way too many road blocks to over come. Way too many people who could care less would need to pull together, get along, and see things through. Just not going to happen.

Gene will tell you even today that it's coming. IMHO, it's not. If miracles were to happen, and somehow it gets done, I'd be first in line with cash in hand to buy one.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
314-766-4587

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from zpeakabonk:

i would pay 3500us in a second if it was available

And $1500 more and it still can't be done.

Sorry.

#27 7 years ago

yep , bummer looks like it should be a cool game,even at 5k i would be in

#28 7 years ago

It is unfortunate that there are so many hurdles to reproduce this game. This was my first time watching that video listed above, so I was in awe to finally see playable footage of this title. Thanks to Eddie Cramer for posting that.

I was one of the lucky few who were able to have a "Dinner with Pat Lawlor" at last year's 2012 Chicago Pinball Expo. When Pat talked about Wizard Blocks his face lit up. You could tell he was really excited about this project, even more than a decade later. A couple of things he mentioned stood out to me:

1) Pat was really excited about the rotating lamps. It sounded like it was sort of a miniature hazard light, but that's just my guess from his limited description.
rotatinglight.jpg

2) Pat also mentioned a ramp (I'm assuming the lower right ramp) that would take the ball on a path that would intersect those TOP blocks, and destroy them as it crossed their path. I kept waiting for that to happen in the video, but maybe the whitewood or code wasn't that far along yet.

Here's hoping that at some point in our lives this project might see completion. As "lllvjr" mentioned,

...putting people together to talk gets these things moving forward...

In the meantime, lots of respect to Pat Lawlor for all the innovative work he's done for our beloved hobby.

Sincerely,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

WHY NOT

#30 7 years ago

To many Ego's in the way. This will never happen until at least 2 people die.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from Pugsley:

I'm more interested in those rotary flasher things. Never seen anything like them before on a pin.

Yeah, I love those things. I tried to get some pictures of the internals years ago so I could reproduce some but nobody came through. I was told they use a jacketed wire like bicycle brakes to transfer the rotation up to the bulb area.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

Yeah, I love those things. I tried to get some pictures of the internals years ago so I could reproduce some but nobody came through. I was told they use a jacketed wire like bicycle brakes to transfer the rotation up to the bulb area.

4 of them where just sold on ebay. I posted a link somewhere on pinside. It was like a month ago.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

Compy, where ya at??

I'm here. Sorry, I've been at a pinball show showing off the DM all day today. So there are lots of hurdles to jump through as far as licensing and even a sound business process (if there ever was one). You'd have to sell these for the "collector market" just to make a feasible profit.

One thing is to abandon the mentality that we re-use the Pin2k platform. Its simply so old and would take LONGER to use than to re-write something from scratch. My WB demo was written in several hours (software only). We've also got 3D tools that make these things very easy from a programming standpoint. Also, getting veteran pinball software engineers back into the game assumes that they've kept their skills up to date over the last 14 years since the big boys left the market.

Embrace change. I'd love to see WB happen, and I know I have the skillset to do the software, it just takes some hardware knowhow. Even making a one off "wally MM style" would be epic for me, like PinGeorge was doing.

Either way, all of you guys rock, and I'd love to see even some original themes that a lot of us could pull off with the talents we've got here.

-- Jimmy

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

4 of them where just sold on ebay. I posted a link somewhere on pinside. It was like a month ago.

Ouch, you're killin' me. Happen to remember what they went for?

Quoted from Compy:

Embrace change. I'd love to see WB happen, and I know I have the skillset to do the software, it just takes some hardware knowhow. Even making a one off "wally MM style" would be epic for me, like PinGeorge was doing.
Either way, all of you guys rock, and I'd love to see even some original themes that a lot of us could pull off with the talents we've got here.

Yeah the days of the software requirements limiting pinball design are long over. We could recreate the existing Wizard Blocks software with better graphics in a few days using any game engine. It seems like we've got a million software guys in the hobby, where are all the mechanical engineers?

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

Ouch, you're killin' me. Happen to remember what they went for?

big dollars i did post a link. they where blue

#36 7 years ago

google Super-RARE-Pinball-2000-Wizard-Blocks-part and click images. the first three are from the auction. I cant seem to get the auction link to work.

#37 7 years ago

The rotating flasher from wb on eBay sold at like $150-$175 final actual bid. It had a buy it now of $1500 but that was obliviously a pipe dream

#38 7 years ago

Thanks for the links. The images are clear enough to make out how they work - no bike cable involved. The reflective box with the slits is rotated from below by that little motor and the leads for the bulb come in from the top. I'm totally going to try and build some when the TRON ramps are done.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Gene will tell you even today that it's coming.

Yep, right after Kingpin comes out!

#40 7 years ago

It might be a neat game but I think it looks kinda kiddy, never gonna see the light of day anyways.

Lets do kingpin!

#41 7 years ago

lets do both!!!!!!! why just one?

#42 7 years ago

Was hoping to see this completed as well but knew it was a long shot... Still leaving it on the "Wish List", ya never know!

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from Tilter:

Was hoping to see this completed as well but knew it was a long shot... Still leaving it on the "Wish List", ya never know!

Me too.

I don't think it will ever happen.

I do hope it does for the sake of many people who would like one. ( not me ).

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

A few years ago I'd have said this could very well happen, in fact I offered to head up the project to see that kits got done. Today, knowing what I know, as disappointed as I am to admit this, it's just not going to happen. Way too many road blocks to over come. Way too many people who could care less would need to pull together, get along, and see things through. Just not going to happen.
Gene will tell you even today that it's coming. IMHO, it's not. If miracles were to happen, and somehow it gets done, I'd be first in line with cash in hand to buy one.

Me and a few ex-WMS people who were involved in P2K approached Gene a few years ago to see how serious he was in making WB. He talked about it, but never really acted like he was going to do more than talk.

I've seen the P2K source code. It's well-written, but I also agree that with so many advances in technology, it would be better to re-write an all new system than deal with the myriad of licensing and IP claims associated with the platform. I still think P2K is an amazing design, but there doesn't appear to be a significant-enough market to justify the hassles of reviving it right now

#45 7 years ago

Someone on reddit posted a photo album here:

http://imgur.com/a/QcupF/

of a private collection down here in SoCal that includes the Wizard Blocks prototype (as well as a Playboy P2K proto that I wasn't even aware of), not to mention Kingpin.

#46 7 years ago

looks like steve sbovada cleaned out some of genes collection

#47 7 years ago

10k for the WB white wood a few years back at Genes fire sale. Various stages of completion.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Someone on reddit posted a photo album here:
http://imgur.com/a/QcupF/
of a private collection down here in SoCal that includes the Wizard Blocks prototype (as well as a Playboy P2K proto that I wasn't even aware of), not to mention Kingpin.

Daaaaamn... WHOSE collection is that??? Is that Steve Sbovada's? And if so, how do I get invited?

Seriously sweet pictures!

10 months later
#49 6 years ago

Do anyone know who owns the collection? Maybe the owner would be willing to publish some data from Wizard Blocks and Playboy?

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from Ahoernchen:

Do anyone know who owns the collection? Maybe the owner would be willing to publish some data from Wizard Blocks and Playboy?

The owner is throwing a benefit for Python in a couple weeks, should be plenty of Pinsiders there.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 209.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
$ 49.00
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Playfield - Plastics
Ramp-O-Matic
$ 24.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Back Alley Creations
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 259.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
There are 242 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside