Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 779 posts
  • 153 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 57 days ago by SickNate
  • Topic is favorited by 205 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

05C1585F-B774-452B-AC07-AE63802E0BF1 (resized).jpeg
    931572D6-0281-4B03-B5EE-E51232B0C1EA (resized).jpeg
    72C1ADB4-986D-4F9B-8F26-DF303071FE5B (resized).jpeg
    EE19C15C-2548-4F9F-8042-BDCB22DC5B91 (resized).jpeg
    2162D2C5-EE5D-4843-9A8F-92317F0A778F (resized).jpeg
    EEE26A25-664A-47BB-8A43-82133B88EFF7 (resized).jpeg
    2B47ADD9-CBFC-4103-9EB4-7938EE1F37E7 (resized).jpeg
    96B469AA-29E7-4181-B079-F242CB1B2319 (resized).jpeg
    6EC285FD-2AB4-47A8-A0FF-44601E72ACE2 (resized).jpeg
    8036764E-1E65-4062-9DFB-5FA15A68396B (resized).jpeg
    A1B3FB69-5D33-43BA-875F-1297DFD2DF12 (resized).jpeg
    08650A7A-119F-4B14-9ADC-4CA7945CC324 (resized).jpeg
    8A392442-53F9-4694-BB2E-C94B0F0C3D60 (resized).jpeg
    678C0528-AFA6-4128-AF85-F76BEDE39889 (resized).jpeg
    2651F287-68DD-4DA8-A4B3-A93B5A83E58B (resized).jpeg
    5F8D4961-1789-4421-BE72-53BD20AEDCD5 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinMonk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#88 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

CLEllison,
    We are going with the 3rd slingshot.
    The pic with the targets was an older version, I only included it to show what the different inserts were for.
    We added the 3rd sling for more chaos and make it more unique

Why only have one or the other? Do drop targets and a sling in the same unit. Once the 3 or 4 targets are down it works as a sling until something else happens and resets the targets.

Quoted from SickNate:

Mdpinballdude
    Don’t think flames coming out of this machine hasn’t crossed our minds

You could very easily have chrome exhaust pipes coming out of the top of the head (or molded into the side of the head pointing up) with lighting and colored plastic shaped like flames inside the top of the tubes and just turn a fan on to activate them. With the motion and lighting, it would be a very cool theme-appropriate effect.

1 week later
    #90 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Op 1 of 2 for 2 of the diverter bodies[quoted image]

This is already looking like it will be a bitch of machine to move upstairs. That weight...

1 month later
    #110 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Artwork is starting to come together[quoted image][quoted image]

Cabinet art needs to read more action-y. Also, the mustard-y font and trim reads like caution tape to me. Red reads more exciting to me.

mad-max-cab-red (resized).jpgmad-max-cab-red (resized).jpg
    #112 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Pinmonk,
    Is that the Christmas edition?

Heh, if you want it to be.

After opening my big mouth, I realized there's not a lot of action-y art widely available on the internet for fury road that's finished. Lots of very rough concept art, though. Given what I found on google to work with, I do like the one I mocked up on the left side better than the one on the right...

mad-max-cab-sand (resized).jpgmad-max-cab-sand (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #145 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Got the ramps back from welding awhile ago. I went with 20 gauge and if I could do it over would do 18 or 16.
    I’ll just consider these R&D and if the geometry is good , redo them then.
    Everything is a lot bigger IRL than what I think it will be drawn up in CAD.
    I’m kinda on the fence if I should polish all the metal parts shiny and chrome , or leave them more rugged and apocalypse[quoted image]

Shiny and chrome. It's a car fetish series.

#158 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

CraigC,
    yes I want to do a better job directing the right ramp exit at the upper flipper
    I don't have a lot of height to play with because I'm going under the right ramp.
    I'm afraid if I go too close balls will hit the ramp coming out of the plunger lane.
    Perhaps I should re route it like in this pic[quoted image]

Why not try a flanged 4 way intersection? Never been done that I know of. If you put a hump on the ramp section going across and made the intersection big enough, the ball could "jump" the gap, then the right ramp exit could drop straight through with gravity (no jump for that direction and drop right in front of the upper right flipper.

The only unknown is what percentage of balls would be going fast enough to make the jump successfully, but that could likely be tweaked by ramp angle. And in multiball where it gets busy at the intersection, you could have pinballs colliding on the ramp action-style in a perfectly theme appropriate way.

#160 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Vireland,
    I actually love this idea. If I can’t make the geometry work and have to redo the ramp (as you can see it’s already made) I will do it this way.
    With the ramp jumping the return wire it’ll go to the upper flipper regardless. And you’ll only get credit for the shot if you make the jump. I wish you said this a month ago before I made the ramp.

Well, I didn't know you were extending that sub return in the redesign!

But yeah, an action-intersection with a jump one of the directions could be rad if the physics work out, and the ball collisions in multiball would be on-point for the theme. You could detect balls that were knocked off (enter switch, no exit switch) and give points for it so players could be trying to make collisions happen.

1 week later
    #163 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Got the lids done on 2 of the diverters.
    Been trying to plan a way for a switch before the diverter for ramp confirm in my head for a little bit . Worked out nicely.
    Got frustrated trying to draw stuff up in cad ... so just started bending wires around . For some stuff that is definitely the way to go.
    Added some inserts on the back wood above the citadel pipes.
    Just 1 diverter And playfield away from being done with the machining.
    ....then the real work starts[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

For that kind of a tight switch spot, why not just use an opto pair?

#166 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Vireland,
    A bit of thought went into this. I do use an opto pair on the diverter mech to confirm a ball lock at the citadel pipes.
    I changed the scoop to have a ball in the bank to send while waiting for a ball to come in the subway
    (less idle time waiting for a ball you can't see moving)
    I needed to add a switch before the diverter and after a point of no return.
    See attached pic
    I can't have an opto pair above and below in this area because directly below is a subway.
    Also it's wider in this area so the ball won't get stuck.
    The GT 45 degree wall makes it so the ball will roll down toward the citadel pipe even if stopped
    If this wall were straight a ball that just makes the ramp would get stuck.
    Side to side there ain't much room.
    I realize this thing is WAY over engineered ... but I had a vision for Citadel multi ball and I stuck with it.
    [quoted image]

Your drawing made me realize that an opto spinner you can't see in one of the turnarounds would be rad to pour on the guzzoline and supercharge your car(s).

#168 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Vireland,
    Let me get this right....
    I post a mech I designed and made from scratch that does the following :
    Directs ball from ramp to pipe behind back wood
    Diverts ball to subway
    Holds ball for ball lock
    Confirms hold with opto pair
    Confirms ramp with switch.
    You reply that I should have used Optos for ramp confirm
    I reply with a detailed post on why I didn’t use optos.
    You reply I should use a spinner opto.

Well, you advertised yourself as "Sick" Nate...sickness is unrelenting.

1 month later
    #227 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

That is the point. Get a ball trapped there and the trough and auto plunger will shoot another ball into the playfield.
    Then at any time you can slam the newton ball to get multiball.
    Or do you mean drop into the The channel?
    The slot is smaller than the ball so it can’t fall in. Plus I’ll put clear plastic over the top.

You can throw an up-post into the channel path where the captive ball is to prevent multiballs from being possible at specific points, too.

#243 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Did some tuning and captive ball lock works good now. I’m happy with the way it turned out.
    The rail is very slightly down hill.
    Almost impossible to capture the ball without the up post ... up

You could also make the locked ball impossible to shake or nudge out by putting a divot or shallow saucer in the playfield where the ball is supposed to rest. The newton ball action would easily shake it free, but no amount of cabinet movement would do it (short of something like lifting the cab, which would tilt it).

#263 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Hopefully won’t have to do too much python code.

Haha. Last words of the condemned...

1 week later
    #277 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Made and installed the worlds shortest subway.
    Just one more subway to go and this thing Is mechanically complete.
    Well that and some plastics.
    Been playing around with some ideas for SS covers over the plastics.
    Still not sold on the idea.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Pretty sure Iron Maiden Prem/LE has you beat on the subway length.

1 week later
    #310 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

10 points to whoever can guess what this is.[quoted image]

Lost Alexander McQueen design?

#319 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Alright shifter/dagger knob installed.
    Probably only die hard fans will get what the hell it is.
    Once I finish the subway I’m pretty much done until the quarantine is over.
    Should I post what we’re thinking so far for rules and modes?
    My eyes kind of glass over when I read that stuff on threads.[quoted image]

Since you've gone down this road...it would make more sense as a spring-loaded actual shifter with a coil-fired ball launch. Pull down on the shifter to launch the ball and it soft-returns to the top position in a controlled manner ready for another launch. Similar to ball launch for Data East's Star Wars, but with a better design that makes sense in this theme.

#322 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

[quoted image]

Better than free. They're paying to have it taken away. But it ain't guzzoline. Needs refining.

#326 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Rosh,
    I would say the easy part is done. I’ve been a machinist for over 25 years. Making things out of metal is what I do.
    It was still a big challenge. I can’t wait to see how hard it is for things I don’t do for a living.(still trying to wrap my head around what in the f “self” means in python)

F Self means you're screwed in any language.

1 month later
    #346 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

My next machine I’ll use the same switch style for rollovers and trough.
    Any mfgs reading this thread, if your interested in prototype/R&D/contract machining let me know.
    Think I might get a cnc mill in my garage so I can putter on weekends

Ben Heck already did a very similar design years ago:

Not built as heavy duty, but it's the same "ball completes the circuit to fire the pop bumper" design you've done here.

#353 3 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

You'd end up drunk.

Ben pees liquor?

#356 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

here's the Dims of PB to PB
    [quoted image]

This doesn't really help. Basically if your metal CAP is smaller than a normal skirt (it seems like it is), then that's part of the problem. You'd need to make the pop bumpers closer to account for that or make your cap area when the ball first contacts both top and bottom larger.

#358 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

The skirts are 2.000” diameter.

I just measured a Bally/Williams skirt and it's ~2.375" in diameter. So you're probably 1/2" an inch off or more (when the ball touches the traditional skirt it doesn't trigger the pop, it needs to push down on it, which is probably 1/8" or more in) which can make a difference.

1 week later
    #363 3 years ago

The journey is the reward. Skipping all that would suck.

#369 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

I think where I've failed on this pin is toys.
    I took for granted the importance of them to enthusiasts.
    I plan to add stuff around the playfield but at this point it won't be integrated in the design.
    Best I can come up with other than vehicles squeezed where I can, is a pinball in a birdcage suspended over the magnet.
    If I'm lucky when the magnet flings the ball, the cage will dance.
    Long story short , I wish I had done more research.

You still have time to integrate some that could be cool. Take Nordman's "wheel of fate" cut from Elvira and use that as inspiration for the "Wheel of Valhalla" on the apron by the left outlane. Mechanical (steering?) wheel that spins with sound when the ball drains on that side and awards you a reward (or also chance for something negative?).

You also have room for Medieval Madness type troll popups on your mid-playfield.

Lots of toy opportunities left on your design. Also, it would be nice if the ports lit up before the ball exited on the backboard then faded out as the ball left.

#374 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Another lesson that I'm sure is a no brainer to everyone who's worked on pins.
    I learned the hard way.
    First step for every coil is to SOLDER AND CRIMP ON A CONNECTOR. see pic.

This is the HEP way.

#384 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Someone wanna help me out with the resistance of the ball magnet from pinball life?

Dunno about Pinball Life, but in general ball magnet resistance is related to how many drinks she's had.

#386 3 years ago

I've got a 511-5065-ND which this says it's a straight replacement for and that one reads 4.7 to 4.8 ohms.

2 weeks later
    #403 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

8 ball trough.
    Only the wives multiball might need to steal locked balls. Probably from nux mb

So many possibilities for modes on this. You could use the guzzoline battle where max and the warboys are spitting gas into the intakes back and forth as a ramp combo mode. War boy spits and you have to make the next ramp combo in X amount of time to have max spit gas in Furiosa's rig, back and forth. Could be an exciting mode if the timers are not too tight and not too loose to create tension. Maybe add balls to create warboy chaos and make the ramps harder to combo.

Guzzoline-battle.gifGuzzoline-battle.gif
    1 week later
    #407 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Code is coming along....
    Art is coming along...

I’ll post a vid of it in action soon.

Let's get that video posted!

3 weeks later
    #410 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

My nephews finally made it to town.
    They’ve been working on code and light shows for 2 days . Here’s a vid of where we’re at.
    I’ve got everything dialed in mechanically (mostly) and am letting them do all the coding.

That's awesome, but why is the sound barely audible?

1 month later
    #435 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

thank you to sixtyfourbits for a kick ass back glass.[quoted image]

This does look amazing, now make a lenticular version so it's 3D.

3 weeks later
    #443 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

...still have a long way to go on code and art.

Code, art, and polish are the hardest part to get finished right. You're probably about 30% done with the project.

I'd scope out deviantart and see if you can rope an artist into the project from there. Lots of talent on display, but unfortunately pinball art is a very specific skill, so an artist with an eye that works for pinball (especially on the playfield) will be the trick. You don't want to end up with a Rob Zombie or Vacation America playfield.

#445 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

If I’m only 30% done then I’m 100% done.

You would not be the first homebrew to arrive at that point. Shame, though, because you have something that could be great. It just needs a lot more work on the code/art/polish.

5 months later
    #497 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

10 mm white plastic playfield with 2mm polycarbonate top, artwork sandwiched between.

With plastic and polycarbonate playfields my main concern would be bad for humans offgassing due to the sustained heat generated by the coils on long sessions. I think that's why everyone else has done wood with a poly top.

#499 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

You do realize that the coils are surrounded by plastic already. Sleeve. What do you think the wire is wrapper around?
    If hot plastic was that dangerous we’d all die driving cars around.

Depends on the KIND of plastic. It's not all of them (or maybe it IS and we just don't know what it's doing to us). I believe coils are nylon.

#501 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Most plastics sublimate at or around 400 Fahrenheit. If your coils get that hot, I would say you have a lot bigger issues to deal with like your machine is about to catch fire.

I'm not talking about sublimation. Offgassing happens at much lower temps than that, in some cases less than 100F. The plastic stays in one piece, but gives off potentially toxic VOCs, depending on the material in question.

I don't really need to get into a VOC discussion, just wanted SickNate to be aware of the potential health downsides of an all-plastic playfield.

2 weeks later
    #516 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Nephew came down for a week.
    Got a ton of coding done.
    Always feels like we’re really close to done on code , then we do a bunch, and we don’t feel any closer.
    Video recording pinball with a phone blows.
    Glass off, can’t hear anything but clacking.
    Glass on, upper part of playfield is back glass reflection.

I don't know what your editing setup is like, but you can split the headphone out on the computer audio and record that separately, then add the clean audio you recorded separately at the same time to the live audio and video and mix the levels to get great sounding audio with your phone video.

Or, if you're using HDMI, you can get the audio AND video clean and inset that in the corner of your live video of the playfield.

3 weeks later
    #542 2 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Got the Nixie tubes in and coded. Will do a better mounting job when I get playfield with art in.
    Started out with using them for a bunch of different timers but is was too confusing/messy
    Now the left 2 keep track of combo count and right 2 keep track of time left to cash out the combo.
    Before playtesting and refining the code the witness combo was a central part of the game. Now it’s a minor part. Funny how things work out.
    Also hopped on the band wagon and did some custom led boards with 3 lights for big arrows , because why not.
    Really need to get art work done so I don’t have to look at this filthy playfield.
    I wonder if it’ll shoot better with smooth hard coat. [quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great. You have the tool to make some really great-looking spotlights for the slings instead of those boring generic ugly spotlights. You don't HAVE to, buuuuut...it sure would look a lot better.

I'm also wondering if a demolition man-like pistol handle grip option for flipper control would fit the theme and give the cabinet a cooler look.

#545 2 years ago
    Quoted from Wilberto757:

Thought I would send some new screens I made for the GUI that Nate is coding in soon. As an added bonus the last two pics are of the playfield art i’ve made so far
    ( EARLY CONCEPT ). Its really early and made on a phone just to get an idea, but this is the direction so far. The tire marks are leading to the 3 ramps. Hope you guys like them!
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, this should be very nice. Are you animating that screen stuff or will it just be stills?

Playfield looks great, but I'd caution on the over-use of browns in the center with the cracked ground. The Walking Dead pin art is 100% on-theme, but there's so much brown and red on the playfield, it's just ugly to look at. Also, most of Fury Road movie was on sand or sand blown over rock/clay, if I recall. Maybe the marsh area could have the kind of ground you're depicting. Your art is very compelling. Fill that playfield up with it. There's no need for a Rob Zombie playfield that's way too empty.

Charlize Theron will need a harder, more badass facial expression in the final. The placid expression in the concept art looks like it's from a Summer's Eve commercial.

Looking forward to seeing this all come together!

#548 2 years ago
    Quoted from Wilberto757:

Those are stills at the moment, but depending on the software there potential I can send Nate some versions that have simple comic book movement similar to the avengers GUI where the characters are like art sprites moving across the screen. We’ll see!
    Edit: Also this is all art from the various Mad Max comics compiled, and edited by me in various programs. I am by no means a hand artist! Im good with adobe software and design but I’m not going to take credit for the initial layers of art before the editing begins; unfortunately, I’m no Zombie Yeti.

Ah, I hadn't seen the comic and didn't realize you were just using that to make the art.

Still, it's a cool look for the pin.

3 months later
    #559 2 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

I’ve seen this. A lot of really cool GUI stuff I’d implement if I were an artist/could.
    Not much to report…just waiting on playfield art.

Put out the word with college illustration/animation students to get it done free/cheap. Find one that has the style you want/need. They would kill to have this in their student portfolio.

4 weeks later
    #563 2 years ago
    Quoted from miracleman:

This is the absolute WORST thing to say to an artist.
    Please let us know what you do for a living and how many weeks you will work for free doing it.

I worked for a YEAR free in a library and another YEAR for free before I was hired on at a computer store when I was a teen. I've been doing video games for consoles over three decades now, so yeah, I know a few artists.

Student artists have different demands than people later in life that have families, etc to support, so it's not an impossibility to find one that wants a cool project to put on a resume. So with that in mind, thank you for your opinion. It's not fact in every situation.

#565 2 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Please never ask people to work for "exposure".

I haven't asked, but I've done it. Gladly. And it paid off. Yeah, it was a long time ago when I didn't have responsibilities of life and family to support, but that's the definition of the student time of life for many, many young people.

But whatever. It was advice based on my life experience. Take it or leave it, but don't pretend it doesn't happen and don't pretend it doesn't have a chance of working out well for some who takes the shot.

#567 2 years ago
    Quoted from miracleman:

Not dissing the regular jobs you, I, and everyone else have worked, but neither of those were creating marketable art someone else might make money off of.

The store I worked at for free for a year made money off the sales I made.

Quoted from miracleman:

THIS is what I was asking, how many weeks you will work for your company for free, starting tomorrow

Somehow you're STILL confusing established adults with jobs with the STUDENTS IN SCHOOL I initially suggested. I never suggested professionals or established adults. I also said CHEAP was an option - as in still paying the students. Your "challenge" makes zero sense because it's completely different than what I suggested.

And again - whatever. It was advice based on my life experience. Take it or leave it (and DON'T CHANGE IT for the purpose of your unrelated argument), but don't pretend it doesn't happen and don't pretend it doesn't have a chance of working out well for some students who take the shot.

#569 2 years ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

This was my suggestion to Andrew at Highway when looking for artists for Alien pinball - hit the colleges looking for fresh new talent. What young artist wouldn't want to have an officially licenced Alien game in their portfolio? Or spend a small fortune on an established artist. At HP we were all about cheap.

Commercial product is a little different than a homebrew. Let's be clear I'm not recommending this path for a commercial product. Might work, but if you're making money on it, the calculus changes.

Although technically Heighway didn't make any money in the end, so...

Anyway, way off subject. I'm done.

#574 2 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Pinmonk has helped me tons on this project totally free.

Dammit, you're right. I'm apparently still dabbling in that working for free thing, 30 years on.

That settles it. I'm putting you down as a reference for my portfolio.

Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Internship and the like is legal indentured servitude.

Only I wasn't suggesting an internship. And if you can walk away at any time, you're neither indentured nor in servitude because there's no contract and no ownership by one party of the other during a contract period. So you're commenting on something completely different than what was suggested.

This earns an F for debate.

1 month later
    #581 2 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

I do have some concept art/rough sketches from the artist.
    Hope he doesn't mind[quoted image][quoted image]

The second one is better. The bigger and more focused the central figure(s) are, the better. Don't make JJP's mistake with The Hobbit's first playfield (right side, below). It was fine enough art, it's just everything was too small and unimpressive for a playfield. They completely re-did it and it was better (left side, below) with more of a focus on the dragon, which was much larger in the middle of the PF.
    hobbit-pf-compare (resized).jpghobbit-pf-compare (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
    #584 2 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Got the 4th flipper in… barely.
    Had to make a barebones flipper mech.
    No eos. If I find I need an eos switch (not using on other 3 flippers) I’ve come up with a way. Just use the plunger and plunger stop as the switch.

You don't really NEED an EOS if you handle the timing in software.

So what's the new flipper for?

#587 2 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Crappy pic…. Thought I had the right size band for the flipper… was wrong.
    Still working on what shots to do with flipper.
    Gonna play with some different ramps and jumps to see what’s fun. Maybe a 180 loop that feeds the Newton all lock. Maybe a jump to the ramp directly to the right .
    Maybe a jump to ramp that feeds it to the plunger lane[quoted image]

You have that saucer right below that platform. You could remove the platform and have the guide for the saucer pull back at certain times so you can pop the ball up with one flipper and bat it with the other flipper button kind of like T-ball. Have a wall of targets suspended on the right side of the playfield you can only hit with this air bat.

The only hard part would be dialing in the scoop popper strength so you're not launching the ball into the glass when that mode happens.

1 month later
    #597 2 years ago
    Quoted from miracleman:

Hmmmm...
    You're pretty full up, guess you don't have anywhere for a spinning disc 'Sandstorm", or a Sandstorm mode where flipper buttons reverse and the game goes ape-sh*t crazy for a while, GI lightning flashes only, etc.

Just stick 3 big fans on the top like a topper on Whirlwind and blast those when your in sandstorm mode.

1 month later
    #602 2 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Long time no update.
    Glen, a local pin enthusiast has joined the project and had a lot of great input.
    So while waiting for art we changed a few things. So much that we’ll need a new playfield. This led to me telling the artist he can move around inserts and shapes to whatever he wants.
    Should of done that long ago because it’s looking killer now.
    Attached is the new layout in solid works… not the art
    Just a few subtle changes that I think will make a big difference.
    [quoted image]

Are those white spots on the inlane guides just inserts, or are they player or software-controllable walls that let you block outlanes to make the side with the block up "safe?"

Also, that left ball return will drop the ball past the inserts below, not on them, right?

#607 2 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Upper shot has 3 paths
    1 jump into wall ride/bounce to right ramp
    2 jump onto wire forms that drop off behind upper right flipper (not pictured)
    3 across rails to plunger lane for “thunder up” modes
    4 let go by and feeds lower right flipper
    [quoted image]

I just realized that upper deck flipper is going to beat the crap out of the right inside cabinet on missed shots.

2 months later
    #614 1 year ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Flipper works good. Really fun shot. Haven’t done anything with the game since my last post. Just waiting on art. Here’s some concept stuff I recently got.[quoted image][quoted image]

Very excited to see this in color on the PF with the plastics, etc. How far away do you think you are?

#616 1 year ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Only thing holding this thing back is art.
    The artist is moving the inserts around so I don’t really want to code until that is done. Or at least insert locations are confirmed.
    We are trying to simplify the code. It was way to complicated and difficult to get modes going. It’s still complex, just not so confusing.
    I really really want to take this to the Chicago pinball show. I hope we can get the playfield art by then.

Deep/complex code is good. Confusing is bad. Are you using callouts to direct the player? That's preferred to on-screen prompts since looking up is rarely done while you're playing unless there's a break in the action.

1 month later
    #617 1 year ago

Anything new to show?

#622 1 year ago
    Quoted from r0nin:

What are those flaps made out of? Did you custom make them?
    Also, I always wondered if the screws (and rivets) don't interfere with ball trajectory.

Probably spring steel.

The screws are close to the ramp wall so they won't affect ball movement. They're also usually counter sunk into the ramp as much as possible. Since the ball is round, the screw head (in green below) is located on the ramp in the part the curve of the ball passes over that doesn't touch the ramp, so the ball doesn't touch the screws, only the wall and floor of the ramp.
    ramp-screw-example (resized).jpgramp-screw-example (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
    #630 1 year ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

It’s close, I recently got a Cnc mill(Fanuc robodrill) so my time lately has been spent on getting that ready to make parts .
    Also we have decided To design and make a Cnc router for shits and gigs… so that is a big project. Mostly just waiting on art for this project. Here’s what the artist sent me recently…. Makes me want to have him redo the cabinet art… just don’t have the patience for that though.
    [quoted image]

Looks fantastic, but I feel like the car group by the flippers needs to be larger and the perspective maybe lowered a smidge.

I don't remember exactly what the center part looked like (it was the steering wheel?) but here's an example with that area moved up slightly to allow the car pack to be resized. If you tweak the perspective down a little on the car pack it should be even more impressive with the extra-imposing size.
    fury-road-pf2.giffury-road-pf2.gif

#632 1 year ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I don't mind the perspective as-is, but definitely agree with sizing up the cars. Fill that space! All the fine detail will get lost at its current size.

The cars remind me of The Hobbit's first PF pass where Smaug was way too small, flying off over a mountain. Then they revised it to make Smaug giant, front and center. Instant improvement in impact.

Those cars are amazing and the formation of the cars chosen and placed on the art has impact. It will just have more if they're larger.

hobbit-pf-compare (resized).jpghobbit-pf-compare (resized).jpg

3 months later
    #639 1 year ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

I've thought about posting stuff from that project here, but don't want to hear a bunch armchair quarterback suggestions.[quoted image]

What about from backseat drivers?

#642 1 year ago
    Quoted from stefanmader:

Cool idea! I found those posts on an i think x-force playfield. Underneath is a similar switch like there is on a bumper.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

So essentially the same as the mummy ball and the orb on Iron Maiden Prem/LE, just without a ball on the post.

5 months later
    #644 1 year ago
    Quoted from r0nin:

So, any updates? I've been following this project enthusiastically since its inception.

Yeah, I was thinking about this project just the other day. Jonesing for another update...

1 week later
    #648 11 months ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Got the mini slingshot/mini upper flipper combo mech designed. Took much longer than I though it would but I got it done.
    Spoke with my artist friend and he promised me the playfield art by August 1st.
    I think I'm going to Fiver the GUI art.[quoted image][quoted image]

As long as you're moving forward, that's all that matters. This project is too cool to sidetrack!

1 month later
    #654 10 months ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Finally got playfield version 2.0 made. Sent the CNC router guy files 3 months ago and just picked em up. Had 2 made so I cen get the machine going while waiting on art. When art is done I’ll swap em out. Artist has promised me August 1st he’ll be done. If everything goes good I’ll bring it to Chicago pinball expo this year
    [quoted image]

Is the art just iterating on what you already had for the PF, or a new direction?

1 month later
    #673 8 months ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Ok, got the final art. At full resolution it looks sooo much better. I could not be happier.
    I think my plastics will be metal. Shiny and chrome. The art was so much more work than my friend thought it would be. I’m embarrassed to ask him to do any more.

Metal will severely limit light dispersion. Ask your friend. If they're sick of it, they'll tell you. And plastics will be a smaller, faster job, at least.

#675 8 months ago
    Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Yeah. Sling plastics are front and center and important but you could phone in the rest.

Yeah, tire tracks, smoke bellows, flames, etc on orbit plastics, etc. None of it on the same level as what's on display on the PF.

1 week later
    #678 8 months ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Finished making my scoops version 3.0
    (Well except for the actual scoop/curved part of it, will get that done tomorrow)
    Each scoop can lock 4 balls.
    They will mostly be fed by subways. But if balls are locked and the scoop is hit I have a plunger/coil to shove the locked balls back… to let the jammed ball fall.
    Also the balls are the switch except in the jam position.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I'm disappointed. I expected you to have magnetic launchers to really get those balls moving. Just borrow some parts off a NASCAR pin and you're set, no designing necessary.

#685 8 months ago
    Quoted from Octomodz:

10-4, I missed your explanation above on the coil to knock a jammed ball down. Looks great. I would use the poly if it holds up and add an led to make the scoop flash when its going to shoot the ball out.

Stick one of those car door mini-projectors opposite it just below the PF and project flames on it when it's going to eject.

1 week later
    #694 7 months ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Art work is really close to done.
    I’m very happy with it.
    The wait has been worth it.[quoted image]

Looking at the Ride Eternal insert, it might be nice to make the insert a bit bigger and do something like Indy's ETERNAL LIFE insert where the text is screened over the insert, lighting up the words.

eternal-life-insert.jpgeternal-life-insert.jpg

Or, alternately, put a Valhalla symbol on the insert, since that's what they're always talking about in the movie.

valhalla.pngvalhalla.png
    2 weeks later
    #697 7 months ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

After reviewing proofs and resending files 4 times I ordered some clear vinyl …. They still screwed it up. The parts that are supposed to be transparent are white.
    I’ve also contacted every local flatbed UV printer and can’t seem to get a quote.
    Nothing is easy
    [quoted image]

It's always hardest right before the finish. Looking great.

On your Apron "dashboard" you might want to experiment with attaching the needle for the speedometer to a spring tube attached to the servo rather than directly to the servo arm. It should give you a bit of analog bounce that way so it looks like a speedometer would on a 1960s/1970s era car instead of too-crisp motion of a direct servo attachment.

#703 7 months ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

I was looking at the Apron, and boy I cannot help but think it would be easier/cooler to use an LCD screen and have that part software driven. A person could get super fancy and use a touch screen and get as complicated as you please.
    It also allows you to customize the layout at any time if things don't feel quite right.

The analog physical gauge motif fits in better with the movie, IMO. LCD screens are in short supply after the apocalypse.

2 weeks later
    #713 6 months ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Alright after requesting quotes all over SoCal for direct uv printing and getting none, I’ve sent my playfield off to Fantastic pinball in Canada.
    In hindsight I should’ve just done that to begin with
    Also close to done on mission modes part of apron.
    Here is how it sits now:
    Rock riders
    Buzzards
    Scavenger
    War boys
    Supply run
    Back to the citadel
    Flamers
    Sand storm
    Polecats
    Imperator [quoted image]

I feel like the crow and the flying warboy with the spears need to be stylized more to get rid of the very thin lines that make them up. They're the only two that don't really fit stylistically and don't work as pure icons.

#715 6 months ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Agreed, I did an outline of the crow to keep it black, but it does need work . Also I’d prefer a head shot of a war boy with the v8 hands above. I’ll see what I can do. I’m not an artist.
    Anyone on pinside want to take a stab?

The war boy will be the hard one to present.

I found a few crow ones online to maybe give some direction to having one made.

crow-1.pngcrow-1.pngcrow-2.pngcrow-2.pngcrow-3.pngcrow-3.pngcrow4.pngcrow4.png
    #718 6 months ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Here is my 2.0
    I used a Nordic style raven.
    Although I think I like the top Raven of the 4
    You sent
    I’m going to try it with that one
    [quoted image]

Warboy looks ok. The nordic raven still has the problem of too much fine detail with lots of fine lines that clash with the look of the other icons. I think it needs to be simplified to match the others.

2 weeks later
    #725 6 months ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Finally went with a different printing company for a Vinyl sticker, after 1st company couldn’t figure out how to get transparent areas correct.
    This new place got color and transparencies right, but some how the scale is wrong.
    It’s about 1/16” short in the X direction. So inserts and mechs on the outside don’t line up very well.
    I can’t wait to get the direct UV printed playfield.[quoted image]

Looking good. How's the software coming along?

3 weeks later
    #738 5 months ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Finished the apron…minus servo and rpm pointer.
    Hopefully it’s not an overwhelming/distracting amount of info.
    [quoted image]

What are the items on the 4 rows of icons? Objectives or powerups?

2 months later
    #750 3 months ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Finally got some time to work on this thing.
    Completed the mini sling/mini flipper combo mech.
    I’m proud of this one. Drew it in CAD almost a year ago …. I hope it works

Looking great.

Crazy this thread is 4 years old now. Pinball is not easy.

#753 3 months ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

If there’s any advice I can give it’s maybe do 1 custom mech for a first machine .
    Get the rest of the shelf.
    I did a whole lot of wheel re-inventing on this.

Voice of experience here. Wisdom.

2 weeks later
    #774 78 days ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Wire forms in.
    Made some one way gates. Work perfectly, look ugly.
    I’ll machine them down smaller and radius the corners, then polish them up. Hopefully they’ll look less clunky then.
    Slowly getting everything checked off .
    On to subways. I think I might be setting a record. 7 total entrances leading to the 2 scoops.
    [quoted image]

I think chunky (but NOT clunky) works with the aesthetic of the theme.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinMonk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/witness-mad-max-fury-road-homebrew?tu=PinMonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.