Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 779 posts
  • 153 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 60 days ago by SickNate
  • Topic is favorited by 205 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

05C1585F-B774-452B-AC07-AE63802E0BF1 (resized).jpeg
    931572D6-0281-4B03-B5EE-E51232B0C1EA (resized).jpeg
    72C1ADB4-986D-4F9B-8F26-DF303071FE5B (resized).jpeg
    EE19C15C-2548-4F9F-8042-BDCB22DC5B91 (resized).jpeg
    2162D2C5-EE5D-4843-9A8F-92317F0A778F (resized).jpeg
    EEE26A25-664A-47BB-8A43-82133B88EFF7 (resized).jpeg
    2B47ADD9-CBFC-4103-9EB4-7938EE1F37E7 (resized).jpeg
    96B469AA-29E7-4181-B079-F242CB1B2319 (resized).jpeg
    6EC285FD-2AB4-47A8-A0FF-44601E72ACE2 (resized).jpeg
    8036764E-1E65-4062-9DFB-5FA15A68396B (resized).jpeg
    A1B3FB69-5D33-43BA-875F-1297DFD2DF12 (resized).jpeg
    08650A7A-119F-4B14-9ADC-4CA7945CC324 (resized).jpeg
    8A392442-53F9-4694-BB2E-C94B0F0C3D60 (resized).jpeg
    678C0528-AFA6-4128-AF85-F76BEDE39889 (resized).jpeg
    2651F287-68DD-4DA8-A4B3-A93B5A83E58B (resized).jpeg
    5F8D4961-1789-4421-BE72-53BD20AEDCD5 (resized).jpeg
    There are 779 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 16.
    #401 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

QuickSilverShelby,
    This is the highest compliment you could give, but I can't go selling a theme I don't have rights to.
    When done with this project I'd be happy to give you all the solid models and assets.
    Had I used only off the shelf parts it would be easy(relatively speaking) to make a pin from that. Unfortunately there has got to be about $1000 or more in custom machined parts. If taken to a machine shop I'd bet more along 2k plus
    If you really want one I can help you make it happen....but you'll have to build it, print the art etc.
    I don't want to do any copyright infringement.

Let me think about that. I'm not sure I have the skills to build a home brew pin. I believe you when you state there is at least $2k in custom machines parts. Anything custom costs big dollars. I'm a custom home builder and I'm currently building a custom house for my wife and I. So far, I have not once said "wow, that didn't cost that much".

QSS

#402 3 years ago

I guess what he meant: Besides off the shelf parts, an off the shelf control system, a custom cut playfield with print, a computer, screen, cabinet and much more you also need to machine some custom parts. I would expect the bill of material to be somewhere between 6 and 12k in total plus all your own work and tools you might need. Not an impossible project but certainly would take a lot of dedication over a longer time with a decent budget.

#403 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

8 ball trough.
    Only the wives multiball might need to steal locked balls. Probably from nux mb

So many possibilities for modes on this. You could use the guzzoline battle where max and the warboys are spitting gas into the intakes back and forth as a ramp combo mode. War boy spits and you have to make the next ramp combo in X amount of time to have max spit gas in Furiosa's rig, back and forth. Could be an exciting mode if the timers are not too tight and not too loose to create tension. Maybe add balls to create warboy chaos and make the ramps harder to combo.

Guzzoline-battle.gifGuzzoline-battle.gif
    #404 3 years ago

The tilt warning call outs are gonna be from that scene. “Don’t blow my rig” and “ I’m gonna judge her...
    Just a bit”.

I like the nitro war idea. I’ll have to work that into the slit battle for sure.

I’ve read the mission pinball framework guide/docs like 5 times and it’s finally starting to click.... I think.
    Really I learn by trying stuff , checking the logs for event post , then try more stuff... you know until the crap sticks to the wall.

I’m used to ladder logic programming so it’s a different way of thinking with posting events and all.

The hardest part for me is going to be the GUI. I have ideas for what to do art wise... just zero skills to accomplish it.

1 week later
    #405 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

The tilt warning call outs are gonna be from that scene. “Don’t blow my rig” and “ I’m gonna judge her...
    Just a bit”.
    I like the nitro war idea. I’ll have to work that into the slit battle for sure.
    I’ve read the mission pinball framework guide/docs like 5 times and it’s finally starting to click.... I think.
    Really I learn by trying stuff , checking the logs for event post , then try more stuff... you know until the crap sticks to the wall.
    I’m used to ladder logic programming so it’s a different way of thinking with posting events and all.
    The hardest part for me is going to be the GUI. I have ideas for what to do art wise... just zero skills to accomplish it.

Well you’re in the right place Amigo!

#406 3 years ago

Code is coming along....

Art is coming along...

As the code fills in it is more and more fun to play.

My nephew came by for the 4th weekend and got a lot done.

He set up the nitro/ awaited mode so on the first hit you get 1 second, 2nd hit is 4 Seconds, 3rd Hit 9 seconds , 4th hit 16 seconds and finally 5th hit is 25 seconds.

Works out awesome. It’s weighted to make you want to wait until level 5 to use it. Already have come up with a strategy to try and hit the behind the upper flipper shot and if you make it immediately press both right flipper buttons to start the mode at 3X . I’ll post a vid of it in action soon.

Also we plan to make it so the
    Mode will add 5 seconds to any hurry up. So if your running low on time it’s smart to save the nitro and use it then.

I am really happy with the layout.

Only a few tiny changes for rev 2 planned.
    Mostly a rev 2 version of the pop bumpers.

Also a one way wire gate where the motorized target bank is on the side.
    When the bank is down Upper flipper shots bounce of the side rail and out.
    Right now you have to “luck” your way in.

MPF is awesome and makes most of the coding easy.
    I am very thankful to everyone who has put in time to make this software

EE06241D-C382-424D-9C70-6D0284CF2193 (resized).jpegEE06241D-C382-424D-9C70-6D0284CF2193 (resized).jpeg
    #407 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Code is coming along....
    Art is coming along...

I’ll post a vid of it in action soon.

Let's get that video posted!

1 week later
    #408 3 years ago

Got the flip/flop scoops working

Thank you Jab_doa for the MPF code update.

2 weeks later
    #409 3 years ago

My nephews finally made it to town.
    They’ve been working on code and light shows for 2 days . Here’s a vid of where we’re at.

I’ve got everything dialed in mechanically (mostly) and am letting them do all the coding.

#410 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

They’ve been working on code and light shows for 2 days . Here’s a vid of where we’re at.
    I’ve got everything dialed in mechanically (mostly) and am letting them do all the coding.

That's awesome, but why is the sound barely audible?

#411 3 years ago

Looks awesome. Nice work.

QSS

#412 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Flips nicely. Diverter looks like it’s working well.

Nice work.

#413 3 years ago

Looking really awesome!! Nice progress, and the layout seems to be super nice!

#414 3 years ago

Looks very playable and the shots & ramps flow well, even able to back hand. Congrats this is a huge milestone

#415 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

That's awesome, but why is the sound barely audible?

The sound is actually loud on the machine.
    Must be something with my phone.

#416 3 years ago

Citadel multiball as explained by Justin.
    5 balls released all at once from 3 ramp locks and 2 scoops.

#417 3 years ago

Nice!!! It's really coming along now. Looks awesome.

#418 3 years ago

Looks absolutely great!!!!

I'd crank up the rear legs to add some speed though. It looks to play like a widebody with the current angle. Mad Max should be break-neck fassssst!

#419 3 years ago

THAT TRIPLE RAMP MULTIBALL START!

#420 3 years ago

I like physical locks. That an awesome multiball!

1 month later
    #421 3 years ago

Took a couple of weeks off. Actually I’m pretty much done. The nephew is doing all the code.
    That and art is all that’s left.
    He has come down from Vegas for a week 2 times now and is pounding out the code.
    It is amazing how important the code is.
    The game shot pretty good right out of the gate but wasn’t fun until the code started filling in.

Anyhoo here’s a vid of the Progress

#422 3 years ago

That is incredible looks like such a fun game, love the target which freezes the ball for a second great effect and the subway which shoots the ball UP the machine that’s fantastic, can’t wait to see this thing with artwork.

Keep up the great work.

#423 3 years ago

Great light shows. That apron rocks!

#424 3 years ago

I love this build. I want one.

#425 3 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

That is incredible looks like such a fun game, love the target which freezes the ball for a second great effect and the subway which shoots the ball UP the machine that’s fantastic, can’t wait to see this thing with artwork.
    Keep up the great work.

Check out post 94 and 121. Both scoops can hold an extra ball. The game has some logic that makes it seem like the ball is moving from scoop to the other. But it just changes where it is holding an extra ball.

Any pinsiders want to take a stab at GUI and/or back glass?
    Art is where my nephew and I fail.
    I feel like I could spend a year learning photoshop and illustrator and would still suck at art. I would rather move on to laying out homebrew #2 playfield and mechanics.

#426 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lounge:

I love this build. I want one.

Get in line bub! You're #2 in line right behind me.

QSS

#427 3 years ago

looks fun to play.

#428 3 years ago

awesome work guys, well done

#429 3 years ago

You should talk to Coindropper for art work. He does a great job on the apron cards.

#430 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Check out post 94 and 121. Both scoops can hold an extra ball. The game has some logic that makes it seem like the ball is moving from scoop to the other. But it just changes where it is holding an extra ball.
    Any pinsiders want to take a stab at GUI and/or back glass?
    Art is where my nephew and I fail.
    I feel like I could spend a year learning photoshop and illustrator and would still suck at art. I would rather move on to laying out homebrew #2 playfield and mechanics.

I've made a few custom translites before, and could take a shot at it if you like. I'm not great at it, but the price can't be beat! (free) haha. I use gimp2 for a program. I don't want to clutter up your thread, but here's a link to a post showing three that I have made:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-get-a-custom-translite-made#post-5839710
    Feel free to post here what you have in mind, or we can take it to messages. Or if someone else more talented steps up, no worries at all.

#431 3 years ago

thank you to sixtyfourbits for a kick ass back glass.

madmax2 (resized).jpgmadmax2 (resized).jpg
    #432 3 years ago

I was happy to help, and happy that you liked the end result! This is such an amazing project. I’m honoured to have contributed to it, even if in just a small part.

#433 3 years ago

I'm trying to make animated GIFs as instruction slides to play during attract mode.

I'm terrible at photoshop but maybe this will help me get better.
    Then maybe I can talk someone into re - doing these that has a better artistic eye.

Maybe the rules are too complicated if I need to make these in the first place.

On other notes, we find that the switches on the coin door with their present use never get used.
    boosting points on ramps vs orbits etc. isn't a compelling reason to reach down and actually do it.
    Plus it isn't fun.

Also, finding the right balance of earning resources and then spending them is tricky.
    We find the game is much more fun when you start a bunch of resources and don't have to earn them to spend.

Maybe we set up the game where you don't spend resources to do things, but earn them for end of ball bonus .

NitroGif.gifNitroGif.gifcitadel.gifcitadel.giffuelpod.giffuelpod.gif
    #434 3 years ago

I am usually pretty nonplussed by homebrew art, but that translite is SMOKIN'. Even if it's just cropped from something else or whatever. Looks awesome.

#435 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

thank you to sixtyfourbits for a kick ass back glass.[quoted image]

This does look amazing, now make a lenticular version so it's 3D.

#436 3 years ago

This game is amazing!!! I am speechless! Deeproot could learn a thing or two from this two man design team!

#437 3 years ago

I tell ya what I have to say this game has sooooo much potential. The design is just as good if not better than some of the newer stuff out there.
    Because of it being that good PLEASE hire professionals to create the PF artwork. You're doing a fantastic job on the code so why trip at the finish line with mediocre artwork? Pay someone and then send it to Ron Kruzman for a clear job! Oh, and what's the pitch set at? You might consider raising the pitch as the game is still a little floaty/slow - it's an observance no disrespect meant.

#438 3 years ago

That IS good artwork, but I feel the heroes should be more prominent on the backglass than the villain.
    But that's just me, you do you

#439 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

I'm trying to make animated GIFs as instruction slides to play during attract mode.
    I'm terrible at photoshop but maybe this will help me get better.
    Then maybe I can talk someone into re - doing these that has a better artistic eye.
    Maybe the rules are too complicated if I need to make these in the first place.
    On other notes, we find that the switches on the coin door with their present use never get used.
    boosting points on ramps vs orbits etc. isn't a compelling reason to reach down and actually do it.
    Plus it isn't fun.
    Also, finding the right balance of earning resources and then spending them is tricky.
    We find the game is much more fun when you start a bunch of resources and don't have to earn them to spend.
    Maybe we set up the game where you don't spend resources to do things, but earn them for end of ball bonus .[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

If you add a ‘glow’ or backlight effect to the text and it’ll stand out better against the varying backgrounds.

#440 3 years ago

The final wizard mode in the game is a battle with immortan joe. We plan to put red flashers behind his eyes on the back glass.

For me I really like the idea of immortan joe staring you down while you play.

As far as paid art for the playfield....this is just for shits and gigs, I don’t really want to go out of pocket for that.

I know everything else wasn’t cheap... but there was something to be learned by my nephew and I in all of it, so I don’t mind the cost.
    Not much to be learned paying an artist.

As far as the angle of the playfield, this game is brutal(to my skill level anyway)...it may seem floaty because all the shots are far from the flippers, but in person the game is fast.

If peeps in the Oceanside area want to play test it ...dm me.

I really love the layout and don’t want to move anything. Some stuff worked out accidentally. The lower scoop doesn’t slow the game down at all, and actually ratchets up the tension.
    I hear/read a lot of talk about scoops slowing the game down, but with both of them flip flopping, I think speeds it up.

We are thinking of doing an OG theme on the next one so maybe it could be made for more people if it ends up any good.
    After today’s DR fiasco I actually have confidence I could do better at mfg.

#441 3 years ago

I think The Three Stooges coulda done a better job than DR. Hell, Iggy and the Stooges coulda done way better. Pinball might be hard, but it ain't that hard...which you have shown. Love your pin--it really is turning out great!

2 weeks later
    #442 3 years ago

Had a local pinsider over last weekend Pinballdork from Carlsbad.

He had some good insight on the game that I’ve worked in.

I added a rubber bumper to the upper ramp post /magnet opto switch holder.
    Improved the gameplay a lot.

Also added some wires and platforms where the ball was getting stuck so I could play with the glass on.

Amazing how much better pinball feels with the glass on.

Watching someone else play I realized the rules are probably too complicated.

I simplified how gaining resources works and think it plays much cleaner now.

Gastown ramp earns guzzoline
    Bulletfarm ramp earns bullets
    Citadel ramp earns aqua cola and mothers milk

Orbits earn some of each or if you do a “kill switch combo” more of whichever resource is selected.

I added “V8 multiplier” to resources.
    Hit all 5 pop bumpers and 3 slings to add boost to the engine. This gains more resources per ramp or orbit hit and extra points on pops and slings

Also added a “Downshift multiplier”
    Hit the 4 mini targets to gain their associated resources. Get them all solid.
    Their lights go off, blinking then solid.

Then whichever resource is hit next you gain a bunch of and the end of ball bonus for resources gets multiplied.

Added skill shot combos up to 8 deep.

All that’s left is 4 mini boss modes, 1 wizard mode, 5 or 6 mission modes and a shit ton of art and this thing will be done.
    Simple right?

Really struggling with GUI and playfield art.

For a homebrew since most people only see it online and don’t actual play it, art is probably the most important thing....
    for kudos anyway.

Layout, mechs , and shots wise I would put this thing up against anything....still have a long way to go on code and art.

Anyone want to do background art for the GUI while playing? Or maybe lead me in the right direction.

3AC9EA1D-4AD0-40A7-B408-F95B5506B663 (resized).jpeg3AC9EA1D-4AD0-40A7-B408-F95B5506B663 (resized).jpeg9DD49084-7542-419C-991F-6907685BA934 (resized).jpeg9DD49084-7542-419C-991F-6907685BA934 (resized).jpegBEDCAD2C-B43A-4C37-8C04-BFBD0A4CB156 (resized).jpegBEDCAD2C-B43A-4C37-8C04-BFBD0A4CB156 (resized).jpeg
    #443 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

...still have a long way to go on code and art.

Code, art, and polish are the hardest part to get finished right. You're probably about 30% done with the project.

I'd scope out deviantart and see if you can rope an artist into the project from there. Lots of talent on display, but unfortunately pinball art is a very specific skill, so an artist with an eye that works for pinball (especially on the playfield) will be the trick. You don't want to end up with a Rob Zombie or Vacation America playfield.

#444 3 years ago

If I’m only 30% done then I’m 100% done.

#445 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

If I’m only 30% done then I’m 100% done.

You would not be the first homebrew to arrive at that point. Shame, though, because you have something that could be great. It just needs a lot more work on the code/art/polish.

#446 3 years ago

Oh, I’m long past the point of no return .

I’d like to believe I’m past 30%....wether it’s true or not.

#447 3 years ago

You got this. One day at a time.

#448 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

I’d like to believe I’m past 30%....wether it’s true or not.

Ok, we'll settle at 40%
    Seriously: you've accomplished really a lot! I do think that indeed finishing and polishing takes a lot of time, but I'd say you're (way?) past 30% as well. No idea what percentage though.
    Great project!

#449 3 years ago

Your waaay further then 30% what a silly thing to say. This project is amazing and obviously some ppl have zero clue how much work is needed to get even this far. Keep up the good work.

Just keep at it at your Own pace and do the art how you want. It appears the whole thing is one massive learning exercise not a proto for a production machine so keep learning

Fantastic project

#450 3 years ago

You're 100% ahead of me.

There are 779 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/witness-mad-max-fury-road-homebrew/page/9?hl=supersquid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.