Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 779 posts
  • 153 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 57 days ago by SickNate
  • Topic is favorited by 205 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

05C1585F-B774-452B-AC07-AE63802E0BF1 (resized).jpeg
    931572D6-0281-4B03-B5EE-E51232B0C1EA (resized).jpeg
    72C1ADB4-986D-4F9B-8F26-DF303071FE5B (resized).jpeg
    EE19C15C-2548-4F9F-8042-BDCB22DC5B91 (resized).jpeg
    2162D2C5-EE5D-4843-9A8F-92317F0A778F (resized).jpeg
    EEE26A25-664A-47BB-8A43-82133B88EFF7 (resized).jpeg
    2B47ADD9-CBFC-4103-9EB4-7938EE1F37E7 (resized).jpeg
    96B469AA-29E7-4181-B079-F242CB1B2319 (resized).jpeg
    6EC285FD-2AB4-47A8-A0FF-44601E72ACE2 (resized).jpeg
    8036764E-1E65-4062-9DFB-5FA15A68396B (resized).jpeg
    A1B3FB69-5D33-43BA-875F-1297DFD2DF12 (resized).jpeg
    08650A7A-119F-4B14-9ADC-4CA7945CC324 (resized).jpeg
    8A392442-53F9-4694-BB2E-C94B0F0C3D60 (resized).jpeg
    678C0528-AFA6-4128-AF85-F76BEDE39889 (resized).jpeg
    2651F287-68DD-4DA8-A4B3-A93B5A83E58B (resized).jpeg
    5F8D4961-1789-4421-BE72-53BD20AEDCD5 (resized).jpeg
    There are 779 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 16.
    #301 4 years ago

looks like a woman's boot ha ha

#302 4 years ago

Is it The dude tied to the front of the car.

#303 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

I promised my nephew I would wait for him to wire it up.
    So I’m just adding finishing touches here and there. 10 points to whoever can guess what this is.[quoted image]

Looks like a femoral neck and head to the femur.

#304 4 years ago

Ouch, guess it does look a little like a high heel boot. Maybe a huge MMFR fan will get it.

#305 4 years ago

Mr68 got it. It’s the plunger knob. Supposed to be furiosa’s shifter/dagger handle

#306 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Mr68 got it. It’s the plunger knob. Supposed to be furiosa’s shifter/dagger handle

I'll trade my 10 points for a game invitation.

#307 4 years ago

When machine is playable, and you find yourself in Oceanside, and there is no quarantine consider yourself invited

#308 4 years ago

Femur joint?

#309 4 years ago

KozMckPinball, points have already been awarded and exchanged

#310 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

10 points to whoever can guess what this is.[quoted image]

Lost Alexander McQueen design?

#311 4 years ago

So you’re waiting for your nephew to wire it... after covid lockdowns start to loosen? Dang it I wanna see this thing flip!!

#312 4 years ago

Mbecker,

I’ll bet that I want to see it flip just as bad.
    We’re 7 months into this thing without a single shot.

#313 4 years ago

I just came across this project/thread.... outstanding work!! Im looking forward to following the updates. Hell you even got me turning on the movie this afternoon .

One thing that I instantly thought of..... after you guys get this thing all finished and dialed in..... how freaking cool would it be to also make a Black & White "Chrome Edition" like they did with the movie?

great great work and attention to detail.

#314 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ceckitti:

great great work and attention to detail.

Machine wise, yes - but the one detail that continually drives me bonkers every time this thread pops up -- it's "Witness me!" that they say when they're about to do something bold/heroic/crazy/dangerous/whatever. Not "Witness!"

</curmudgeon>

#315 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Machine wise, yes - but the one detail that continually drives me bonkers every time this thread pops up -- it's "Witness me!" that they say when they're about to do something bold/heroic/crazy/dangerous/whatever. Not "Witness!"
    </curmudgeon>

all the warboys answer back with “WITNESS!!!” After seeing something bold/heroic/crazy/dangerous/whatever.

We are both right.

#316 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

all the warboys answer back with “WITNESS!!!” After seeing something bold/heroic/crazy/dangerous/whatever.
    We are both right.

But this thread is about the one doing the doing!

Game looks freakin' spectacular by the way - don't let my linguistic hangup cast any kind of a shadow on things.

#317 3 years ago

Alright shifter/dagger knob installed.
    Probably only die hard fans will get what the hell it is.

Once I finish the subway I’m pretty much done until the quarantine is over.

Should I post what we’re thinking so far for rules and modes?

My eyes kind of glass over when I read that stuff on threads.

28E4F6AA-F7EF-450D-BC97-2060E8C04D53 (resized).jpeg28E4F6AA-F7EF-450D-BC97-2060E8C04D53 (resized).jpeg
    #318 3 years ago
    3AEC7B02-93F2-48B5-A73C-515D1EEEF383 (resized).png3AEC7B02-93F2-48B5-A73C-515D1EEEF383 (resized).png
    #319 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Alright shifter/dagger knob installed.
    Probably only die hard fans will get what the hell it is.
    Once I finish the subway I’m pretty much done until the quarantine is over.
    Should I post what we’re thinking so far for rules and modes?
    My eyes kind of glass over when I read that stuff on threads.[quoted image]

Since you've gone down this road...it would make more sense as a spring-loaded actual shifter with a coil-fired ball launch. Pull down on the shifter to launch the ball and it soft-returns to the top position in a controlled manner ready for another launch. Similar to ball launch for Data East's Star Wars, but with a better design that makes sense in this theme.

#320 3 years ago

Think of it as dagger mode. When a skill shot is hit it’ll show a video of furiousa throwing the dagger into the shoulder of foe.

#321 3 years ago
    97C5D192-ED94-46E2-83DE-58D9389B5B09 (resized).jpeg97C5D192-ED94-46E2-83DE-58D9389B5B09 (resized).jpeg
    #322 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

[quoted image]

Better than free. They're paying to have it taken away. But it ain't guzzoline. Needs refining.

#323 3 years ago

Just finished the subway.

Rev. 1 is mechanically done .

Now we just need to wire it up , write the code, complete the art, test play it, then do it all over again for whatever needs fixing. Homebrew pinball ain’t for sissies...

Still feels good to reach this milestone.

E07EA861-78F2-47EB-A706-8DFF87AE89F2 (resized).jpegE07EA861-78F2-47EB-A706-8DFF87AE89F2 (resized).jpeg
    #324 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Just finished the subway.
    Rev. 1 is mechanically done .
    Now we just need to wire it up , write the code, complete the art, test play it, then do it all over again for whatever needs fixing. Homebrew pinball ain’t for sissies...
    Still feels good to reach this milestone.[quoted image]

Happy to see that you did not say "the hard part is done" as some other project did at about this point. Good that you recognize you have a long way to go, much easier to stay motivated and get to the end when you understand it is a long, challenging journey that is going to have its bumps in the road.

Fun watching your progress.

#325 3 years ago

Rosh,

I would say the easy part is done. I’ve been a machinist for over 25 years. Making things out of metal is what I do.
    It was still a big challenge. I can’t wait to see how hard it is for things I don’t do for a living.(still trying to wrap my head around what in the f “self” means in python)

I honestly thought we’d be done with the whole thing by now. In my/our defense, this isn’t exactly a simple build for a first attempt.

At least we get to play the thing while we dial in code, rules, art etc.

Hopefully it doesn’t play like shit.
    I like my chances , but it could need a lot of rework/ adjusting. Once we hook up electricity.

Plays like a dream just flipping the flippers by hand...

#326 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Rosh,
    I would say the easy part is done. I’ve been a machinist for over 25 years. Making things out of metal is what I do.
    It was still a big challenge. I can’t wait to see how hard it is for things I don’t do for a living.(still trying to wrap my head around what in the f “self” means in python)

F Self means you're screwed in any language.

#327 3 years ago

Apparently .

I’m starting to get some understanding.
    Knowledge takes more effort than when I was younger.

#328 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Rosh,
    I honestly thought we’d be done with the whole thing by now. In my/our defense, this isn’t exactly a simple build for a first attempt.
    At least we get to play the thing while we dial in code, rules, art etc.
    Hopefully it doesn’t play like shit.
    I like my chances , but it could need a lot of rework/ adjusting. Once we hook up electricity.
    Plays like a dream just flipping the flippers by hand...

Once you can start shooting it, at least you can the satisfaction and enjoyment from the work you have done so far, while you learn how to write the code, do art, etc. Just takes time and patience.

3 weeks later
    #329 3 years ago

wiring done!!! well minus the LEDs.
    Onto coding.
    Waiting for artwork decided to take a stab at photoshop....think I'll leave the art to the professionals.
    This is just so I can explain concepts/layout to the artist/BIL

pf (resized).pngpf (resized).png
    #330 3 years ago

Some stuff I made to fit opto into tight spots.

7C6E4C3F-BF3C-4D6F-8690-394C7D42BD6F (resized).jpeg7C6E4C3F-BF3C-4D6F-8690-394C7D42BD6F (resized).jpeg8323D03E-F0A1-47ED-B918-0316AA006E47 (resized).jpeg8323D03E-F0A1-47ED-B918-0316AA006E47 (resized).jpegD47C49B5-6F13-451C-8DFE-B1B1A3330669 (resized).jpegD47C49B5-6F13-451C-8DFE-B1B1A3330669 (resized).jpeg
    #331 3 years ago

Damn that looks like some sweet engineering! The quality looks insane.

My guess is someone will still be shooting this pin a 100 years from now

1 week later
    #332 3 years ago

Made my first flips on this thing . Needs a lot of fine tuning.

I’m happy with shots.
    All the angles work.

Gonna need a rev 2 on the pop bumpers
    They work...just not the chaos I was looking for.

Also going to dual wound, with the glass off its very buzzy

#333 3 years ago

Awesome!! Congratulations!

Now the fun REALLY begins

#334 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Made my first flips on this thing . Needs a lot of fine tuning.
    I’m happy with shots.
    All the angles work.
    Gonna need a rev 2 on the pop bumpers
    They work...just not the chaos I was looking for.
    Also going to dual wound, with the glass off its very buzzy

I learned that adding a post somewhere next to the pop bumpers (see STTNG) could add a lot of pop action.

You have a verry! nice machine! Thx for sharing

#335 3 years ago

Great , we want moaaaarrrrr gameplay videos

#336 3 years ago

Homebrew has a great community.
    I asked for advice on flipper buzz.
    Jab_doa whipped up an algorithm with a more random pwm patter but with the same overall hold power.
    This is for MPF with Fast

You can hear the difference in the vid below. Left flipper has it on. Right flipper is normal pwm.

#337 3 years ago

I was a little disappointed in my pop bumper design.
    Actual I was sick about it.
    These were my biggest concern out of the mechs I made.

The balls would just flow thru the pop bumper area and not even fire a PB.
    If one fired that was about it.

The main problem was the bottom/base.

I made it 15 degrees with a corner radius of .015"
    I figured/hoped the ball would just roll up and hit the top.
    This didn't happen.

I think the key for Rev 2 is to counterbores in the playfield and have the lower part of the PB flush with the playfield.
    Basically how plastic inserts sit.

Also the diameter should be bigger than the top/piston diameter.

trying to salvage these and this whitewood I put tapped m5 holes on the top of the bodies.
    Then adjusted the pistons down with allen bolts so the ball would contact the top and bottom at the same time.

I learned a big lesson in pinball design here.
    I had used 11/16-18 threads on the bodies and matching nuts underneath the playfield to hold the mech.
    real easy to install...terrible to service. Try getting a 1 1/8" (the size across the flats on a 11/16-18 nut) wrench at at the bottom of a playfield and turning.
    not so easy with mechs/lights/wires everywhere. next design will bolt in/on with phillips screw driver.

after adjusting the height on all the pop bumpers so the ball would contact the top and bottom at once, I gave it a try.

It worked a lot better, but still kind of sucked.

I started thinking this was a stupid idea and I should just replace these 5 mini pop bumpers with 3 normal ones.
    I really want 5.
    You see, 3 slings and 5 Pops adds up to 8. V8!!!
    I really want some sort of bonus you can cash out when you hit all 8, and level that bonus when you hit them all twice..etc.

So I played with the debounce settings on the switch .

Set them to 1ms close and 15ms open.

IT WORKED AWESOME!!!!

poprev1 (resized).pngpoprev1 (resized).pngpop2 (resized).pngpop2 (resized).png
    #338 3 years ago

Nice job on the re-engineering - I'm glad you stuck with your overall pop bumper design, it is very innovative. Well done!!

#339 3 years ago
    Quoted from Manny65:

Nice job on the re-engineering - I'm glad you stuck with your overall pop bumper design, it is very innovative. Well done!!

Someone catch me up. Is the ball completing a circuit thus eliminating need for a skirt?

#340 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Someone catch me up. Is the ball completing a circuit thus eliminating need for a skirt?

Yes that's correct

#341 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Yes, the ball is the contact that closes

The piston/ring is positive of the switch.
    The solid skirt is negative.
    When the ball contacts both, the switch is completed

#343 3 years ago

My next machine I’ll use the same switch style for rollovers and trough.

Any mfgs reading this thread, if your interested in prototype/R&D/contract machining let me know.

Think I might get a cnc mill in my garage so I can putter on weekends

#344 3 years ago

Here’s another video with the slings and pops working.

This is only autofire coils.
    No code so far.

Magnet still needs code/config

I can’t mentally move on to coding until everything is good mechanically.

Also note, both ramps can be backhanded.

And don’t talk shit on my pinball skills, I know I’m a noob.

#345 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Here’s another video with the slings and pops working.
    This is only autofire coils.
    No code so far.
    Magnet still needs code/config
    I can’t mentally move on to coding until everything is good mechanically.

Also note, both ramps can be backhanded.
    And don’t talk shit on my pinball skills, I know I’m a noob.

Really digging this - nice to see it flip.

#346 3 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

My next machine I’ll use the same switch style for rollovers and trough.
    Any mfgs reading this thread, if your interested in prototype/R&D/contract machining let me know.
    Think I might get a cnc mill in my garage so I can putter on weekends

Ben Heck already did a very similar design years ago:

Not built as heavy duty, but it's the same "ball completes the circuit to fire the pop bumper" design you've done here.

#347 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Ben Heck already did a very similar design years ago:

Not built as heavy duty, but it's the same "ball completes the circuit to fire the pop bumper" design you've done here.

I’ll have an OG idea someday.

I think if I was stuck in a room with Ben Heck, a cnc lathe and mill, and all his electronic equipment and 3D printers, great things would happen.

#348 3 years ago

You are way behind the curve as far as designing pop bumpers that always seem to evade being struck by a ball. J-pop mastered that with TOM.

#349 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

You are way behind the curve as far as designing pop bumpers that always seem to evade being struck by a ball. J-pop mastered that with TOM.

I’m actually happy with them now. Just needed to play with the debounce settings.

It was just draining through because the ball contact time is very short.

It could be that I’m only happy because it sucked so bad before. Maybe they’re just mediocre.

#350 3 years ago

it almost feels like they're too far apart? usually bumpers are about 4" apart center to center, but at least 1.5 of that is the skirts. I wonder how the actual 'area where the ball won't trigger anything' distance between your bumpers and a regular set would compare

There are 779 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/witness-mad-max-fury-road-homebrew/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.