Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 779 posts
  • 153 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 65 days ago by SickNate
  • Topic is favorited by 205 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

05C1585F-B774-452B-AC07-AE63802E0BF1 (resized).jpeg
    931572D6-0281-4B03-B5EE-E51232B0C1EA (resized).jpeg
    72C1ADB4-986D-4F9B-8F26-DF303071FE5B (resized).jpeg
    EE19C15C-2548-4F9F-8042-BDCB22DC5B91 (resized).jpeg
    2162D2C5-EE5D-4843-9A8F-92317F0A778F (resized).jpeg
    EEE26A25-664A-47BB-8A43-82133B88EFF7 (resized).jpeg
    2B47ADD9-CBFC-4103-9EB4-7938EE1F37E7 (resized).jpeg
    96B469AA-29E7-4181-B079-F242CB1B2319 (resized).jpeg
    6EC285FD-2AB4-47A8-A0FF-44601E72ACE2 (resized).jpeg
    8036764E-1E65-4062-9DFB-5FA15A68396B (resized).jpeg
    A1B3FB69-5D33-43BA-875F-1297DFD2DF12 (resized).jpeg
    08650A7A-119F-4B14-9ADC-4CA7945CC324 (resized).jpeg
    8A392442-53F9-4694-BB2E-C94B0F0C3D60 (resized).jpeg
    678C0528-AFA6-4128-AF85-F76BEDE39889 (resized).jpeg
    2651F287-68DD-4DA8-A4B3-A93B5A83E58B (resized).jpeg
    5F8D4961-1789-4421-BE72-53BD20AEDCD5 (resized).jpeg
    There are 779 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 16.
    #101 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

What happens if you have two balls in place like the picture and then a third falls down ontop of the first, looks like it wont be detected at all.

That's pretty much how scoops on commercial machines work, for better or worse

#102 4 years ago

It supposed to fire/shoot the ball out of the scoop anytime there are 2 balls (or more) unless it’s holding them for a video or mode selection.
    This scoop is meant to hold 1 extra ball for speed while waiting for A subway ball

#103 4 years ago

Need some LEDs for this? I take PayPal!

ebay.com link: itm

(Just for fun, everyone. Another forum asks for the worst rainbow puke LEDs ever seen on machines.)

#104 4 years ago

Got ramps and orbit back from waterjet.
    Not impressed with quality, they must’ve used max grit size and federate.
    Should work fine though.
    Now I need them welded up.

90032610-3177-44AA-BD04-70110A0512E0 (resized).jpeg90032610-3177-44AA-BD04-70110A0512E0 (resized).jpeg
    #105 4 years ago

Got tired of waiting for machine time. Got these bad boys at auction. Just arrived today

F8BBC83E-1C40-4533-9A0D-6877AD6EF0CA (resized).jpegF8BBC83E-1C40-4533-9A0D-6877AD6EF0CA (resized).jpeg
    #106 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Got tired of waiting for machine time. Got these bad boys at auction. Just arrived today[quoted image]

Looks like you picked up some serious equipment there! Did you already have dedicated space set up for them?

#107 4 years ago

Whoa, that is one way to do it! Kudos for the stones do make such an investment, auction or not!

#108 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Got tired of waiting for machine time. Got these bad boys at auction. Just arrived today[quoted image]

Your Pinside handle just fell into place for me. Well done.

#109 4 years ago

Artwork is starting to come together

EC333CB6-197C-436A-95D3-0B0FBE05B48A.jpegEC333CB6-197C-436A-95D3-0B0FBE05B48A.jpeg9B3E82F3-BF00-4875-B660-C9F777A2FEE9.jpeg9B3E82F3-BF00-4875-B660-C9F777A2FEE9.jpeg
    #110 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Artwork is starting to come together[quoted image][quoted image]

Cabinet art needs to read more action-y. Also, the mustard-y font and trim reads like caution tape to me. Red reads more exciting to me.

mad-max-cab-red (resized).jpgmad-max-cab-red (resized).jpg
    #111 4 years ago

Pinmonk,

Is that the Christmas edition?

#112 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Pinmonk,
    Is that the Christmas edition?

Heh, if you want it to be.

After opening my big mouth, I realized there's not a lot of action-y art widely available on the internet for fury road that's finished. Lots of very rough concept art, though. Given what I found on google to work with, I do like the one I mocked up on the left side better than the one on the right...

mad-max-cab-sand (resized).jpgmad-max-cab-sand (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #113 4 years ago

I’m a glutton for punishment so I’ll keep posting.
    2 of 3 diverters done
    Scoop machined.... I’ll post pics of it assembled later

649E5EB1-38C7-4951-B8A1-FD26A520A16F (resized).jpeg649E5EB1-38C7-4951-B8A1-FD26A520A16F (resized).jpegC719A7FC-4683-4DEB-989B-0F464E298E3A (resized).jpegC719A7FC-4683-4DEB-989B-0F464E298E3A (resized).jpeg
    #114 4 years ago

Damn that looks really awesome! Top quality!

#115 4 years ago

Awesome work.

#116 4 years ago

Those parts literally look bullet proof!

#117 4 years ago

This is cool! Following!!

#118 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Artwork is starting to come together[quoted image][quoted image]

Thumbs up on the cab art. Like seeing the war rig and interceptor front and center. Vireland's attempt is pretty good, too. If anything, I would say tone down the skull steering well on the pf. That or brighten up the background.

#119 4 years ago

Wow! This looks awesome!

#120 4 years ago

Dang! Following this for sure.

#121 4 years ago

scoop assembled

Yeah I know, some of the screws are too long. I used what I had lying around. Will swap out later.

B7071060-019B-42BB-BFDD-0506E5829D39 (resized).jpegB7071060-019B-42BB-BFDD-0506E5829D39 (resized).jpegC60F767F-BFF9-4B40-A54E-84DE4DE27857 (resized).jpegC60F767F-BFF9-4B40-A54E-84DE4DE27857 (resized).jpeg
    #122 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

scoop assembled
    Yeah I know, some of the screws are too long. I used what I had lying around. Will swap out later.[quoted image][quoted image]

We forgive you.

#123 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

some of the screws are too long

Cut 'em

#124 4 years ago

Beefy

#125 4 years ago

I have been hesitant to make the playfield because I wasn't sure if my pop bumper design would work or not.

Well today I tested it and it works !!!!!

The design is 2" diameter pop bumpers instead of the normal 3". That way I can fit more in the same space.

When researching pop bumpers I thought they were over complicated with adjusting the spoon and all....
    So I thought I'd take a stab at something that has been working perfectly for 50 years.

The ball is the switch. That is to say the ball closes the circuit that tells the machine when to activate the coil to bring the ring down.

The body of the pop bumper is polycarbonate .
    From under the playfield I will light it with an RGB LED and hopefully the whole thing will glow whatever the LED is programmed.

Attached are some pics.

I cannot wait to cut the playfield now.

IMG_1166 (resized).jpgIMG_1166 (resized).jpgIMG_1167 (resized).jpgIMG_1167 (resized).jpgPopCircuit (resized).jpgPopCircuit (resized).jpg
    #126 4 years ago

Great meg design.
    Really like your build.
    Its very heavy the playfield.
    So i think you need metal u shape guide rail at the outside off the playfield instead of wood.

#127 4 years ago

Pinballwil,

Most of what I've made is aluminum.
    Steel is 2.5 X heavier than aluminum.
    The mechs really aren't that heavy.

I suspect the playfield will be only slightly heavier than average.
    But that is because of # of mechs not weight of them.

If it does warp... I will use some metal rails to pull it straight.

#128 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

I have been hesitant to make the playfield because I wasn't sure if my pop bumper design would work or not.
    The design is 2" diameter pop bumpers instead of the normal 3". That way I can fit more in the same space.
    When researching pop bumpers I thought they were over complicated with adjusting the spoon and all....
    So I thought I'd take a stab at something that has been working perfectly for 50 years.
    The ball is the switch. That is to say the ball closes the circuit that tells the machine when to activate the coil to bring the ring down.
    From under the playfield I will light it with an RGB LED and hopefully the whole thing will glow whatever the LED is programmed.
    Attached are some pics.
    I cannot wait to cut the playfield now.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great idea. Using the ball and pop body to act as the spoon trigger and leaf spring. No more adjusting too!

#129 4 years ago

No lie, for years I thought that was how pop bumpers actually worked.

#130 4 years ago

That shot map and ramps look great!!! Just my 2cents. I think the right ramp wire form should merge with the center wire form to feed the right flipper instead of just dropping back onto the play field

#131 4 years ago

Pinstein,

The right ramp is meant to feed the upper flipper. (position/length may need tuning)

There are ball gates below the mid ramp and right ramp. So complete orbit shots will only be available in certain modes.

So combos will be 1,2,3,1,2,3...... as long as you can keep them going. With orbits and behind the right flipper shots mixed in.

At 3 “fang it” will light up
    At 5 “thunder up”
    At 7 “witness”
    (Will need tuning)

At any point you can cash out the combo by hitting a scoop

At that point a Different video will play depending on the Level of the combo

At 10 or 15 or so (it’ll need dialing in)
    It’ll show Nux mouthing “witness me” and crashing into/blocking the canyon

When you get the combo record for the machine truck horn will sound

There are going to be four Nixie tubes in the apron. 2 will be a hurry up timer and the other 2 will count the combo

There will be other uses for the nixies in other modes too.

#132 4 years ago

Love this theme. Love the re-engineering of a lot of the mechanisms. I realize aluminum is much easier to work with than steel. How do you think that aluminum will hold up against the pinball itself? Are there a lot of areas where the ball will be taking shots?

#133 4 years ago
    Quoted from GreenMachine19:

Love this theme. Love the re-engineering of a lot of the mechanisms. I realize aluminum is much easier to work with than steel. How do you think that aluminum will hold up against the pinball itself? Are there a lot of areas where the ball will be taking shots?

Interesting point, aluminum is softer than steel. Since parts are at least twice as thick that should more than compensate. That made me think why not machine some pinballs themselves out of aluminum? Of course they wouldn't last as long as steel but with the reduced weight they would fly! They would probably be right between a ceramic powerball and a conventional steel pinball as far as speed goes. It would be a worthy experiment.

Cudos to SickNate for this amazing project! I wouldn't be surprised to see your new style pop bumper adopted commercially. Brilliant design.

#134 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Interesting point, aluminum is softer than steel. Since parts are at least twice as thick that should more than compensate. That made me think why not machine some pinballs themselves out of aluminum? Of course they wouldn't last as long as steel but with the reduced weight they would fly! They would probably be right between a ceramic powerball and a conventional steel pinball as far as speed goes. It would be a worthy experiment.
    Cudos to SickNate for this amazing project! I wouldn't be surprised to see your new style pop bumper adopted commercially. Brilliant design.

Aluminium ball with steal shell maybe?

#135 4 years ago

Interesting point, aluminum is softer than steel. Since parts are at least twice as thick that should more than compensate.

Agreed. Also, this will be a home use machine, not commercial and therefore the aluminum will hold up just fine.

Agreed again and I would love to see and play this game when completed. Design and construction on this machine is incredible and Road Warriors has been my dream theme since I first got into pinball.

#136 4 years ago

Awesome stuff... Very interesting thread!

#137 4 years ago

I think an aluminum ball would feel all wrong, dent/distort easily, and magnets wouldn’t work. This game has magnet so let’s lay that to rest.

The pop bumper upper and lower rings are actually 304 stainless steel.

As far as aluminum mechs go, they don’t need to stay perfectly round, and are an order of magnitude stronger than wood.

I think a steel ball will ding and dent aluminum mechs, but if wood rails can hold up .... I’ll take my chances

I’m pretty sure the square newton ball thing on Metallica premium behind the hammer is aluminum . It definitely gets banged up but works fine.

#138 4 years ago

You could always use the ceramic powerball. Its lighter and strong but won't dent the aluminum like the steel balls.

Quoted from SickNate:

I think an aluminum ball would feel all wrong, dent/distort easily, and magnets wouldn’t work. This game has magnet so let’s lay that to rest.
    The pop bumper upper and lower rings are actually 304 stainless steel.
    As far as aluminum mechs go, they don’t need to stay perfectly round, and are an order of magnitude stronger than wood.
    I think a steel ball will ding and dent aluminum mechs, but if wood rails can hold up .... I’ll take my chances
    I’m pretty sure the square newton ball thing on Metallica premium behind the hammer is aluminum . It definitely gets banged up but works fine.

#139 4 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

You could always use the ceramic powerball.

Except that would render the new bumpers non-functional, which depend on the conductive ball to bridge the connection between skirt and ring.
    (Correct me if I misunderstood?)

#140 4 years ago

Gornkleschintzer,

Yes the pops wouldn’t work and the magnet wouldn’t work with a ceramic ball.

Concerned Pinsiders,
    I promise to remake the mechs with steel if they fall apart.

A lot of homebrews are R&Ded with cardboard and poster board.

I think aluminum is a step up.

#141 4 years ago

Orbit clamps done

E8AE8E51-A432-44C6-BF67-7C7A2561770C (resized).jpegE8AE8E51-A432-44C6-BF67-7C7A2561770C (resized).jpeg
    #142 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Gornkleschintzer,
    Yes the pops wouldn’t work and the magnet wouldn’t work with a ceramic ball.
    Concerned Pinsiders,
    I promise to remake the mechs with steel if they fall apart.
    A lot of homebrews are R&Ded with cardboard and poster board.
    I think aluminum is a step up.

Very true- a big step up!! The milling is impressive, wish I had those skills

#143 4 years ago

Got the ramps back from welding awhile ago. I went with 20 gauge and if I could do it over would do 18 or 16.

I’ll just consider these R&D and if the geometry is good , redo them then.

Everything is a lot bigger IRL than what I think it will be drawn up in CAD.

I’m kinda on the fence if I should polish all the metal parts shiny and chrome , or leave them more rugged and apocalypse

153B1D93-62FF-4D9A-B531-B1581DBFEAF1 (resized).jpeg153B1D93-62FF-4D9A-B531-B1581DBFEAF1 (resized).jpeg
    #145 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Got the ramps back from welding awhile ago. I went with 20 gauge and if I could do it over would do 18 or 16.
    I’ll just consider these R&D and if the geometry is good , redo them then.
    Everything is a lot bigger IRL than what I think it will be drawn up in CAD.
    I’m kinda on the fence if I should polish all the metal parts shiny and chrome , or leave them more rugged and apocalypse[quoted image]

Shiny and chrome. It's a car fetish series.

#146 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

I’m kinda on the fence if I should polish all the metal parts shiny and chrome , or leave them more rugged and apocalypse[quoted image]

Tough call, rugged and worn is the Mad Max aesthetic, but then again the Boyz like to chrome themselves up before they make the big sacrifice. So tough decision.

#147 4 years ago

What happens when a fine layer of black pinball dust coats the popbumper switch / body and prevents a conductive path between the switch, ball, and housing?
    I applaud your desire to do something different; just be prepared for issues down the road.

#148 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

What happens when a fine layer of black pinball dust coats the popbumper switch / body and prevents a conductive path between the switch, ball, and housing?

Maybe clean it?

#149 4 years ago

Zitt,

Time will tell. This is the mech I’m most worried about . I did all I could Think of design wise .
    I made the upper ring with a parabolic shape to hopefully get better contact.

If they work poor, I might try having them silver plated.

I hope it just works.
    If it works good I have some design Ideas for rollovers w/o switches.
    Just strips of metal in pockets on the playfield.

#150 4 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Attached are some pics.
    I cannot wait to cut the playfield now.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What voltages will you be using across the pop?

There are 779 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/witness-mad-max-fury-road-homebrew/page/3?hl=md_pinball_dude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.