Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 779 posts
  • 153 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 64 days ago by SickNate
  • Topic is favorited by 205 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

05C1585F-B774-452B-AC07-AE63802E0BF1 (resized).jpeg
    931572D6-0281-4B03-B5EE-E51232B0C1EA (resized).jpeg
    72C1ADB4-986D-4F9B-8F26-DF303071FE5B (resized).jpeg
    EE19C15C-2548-4F9F-8042-BDCB22DC5B91 (resized).jpeg
    2162D2C5-EE5D-4843-9A8F-92317F0A778F (resized).jpeg
    EEE26A25-664A-47BB-8A43-82133B88EFF7 (resized).jpeg
    2B47ADD9-CBFC-4103-9EB4-7938EE1F37E7 (resized).jpeg
    96B469AA-29E7-4181-B079-F242CB1B2319 (resized).jpeg
    6EC285FD-2AB4-47A8-A0FF-44601E72ACE2 (resized).jpeg
    8036764E-1E65-4062-9DFB-5FA15A68396B (resized).jpeg
    A1B3FB69-5D33-43BA-875F-1297DFD2DF12 (resized).jpeg
    08650A7A-119F-4B14-9ADC-4CA7945CC324 (resized).jpeg
    8A392442-53F9-4694-BB2E-C94B0F0C3D60 (resized).jpeg
    678C0528-AFA6-4128-AF85-F76BEDE39889 (resized).jpeg
    2651F287-68DD-4DA8-A4B3-A93B5A83E58B (resized).jpeg
    5F8D4961-1789-4421-BE72-53BD20AEDCD5 (resized).jpeg
    There are 779 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 16.
    #601 2 years ago

Long time no update.

Glen, a local pin enthusiast has joined the project and had a lot of great input.

So while waiting for art we changed a few things. So much that we’ll need a new playfield. This led to me telling the artist he can move around inserts and shapes to whatever he wants.
    Should of done that long ago because it’s looking killer now.

Attached is the new layout in solid works… not the art

Just a few subtle changes that I think will make a big difference.

ver9c 2 (resized).pngver9c 2 (resized).png
    #602 2 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Long time no update.
    Glen, a local pin enthusiast has joined the project and had a lot of great input.
    So while waiting for art we changed a few things. So much that we’ll need a new playfield. This led to me telling the artist he can move around inserts and shapes to whatever he wants.
    Should of done that long ago because it’s looking killer now.
    Attached is the new layout in solid works… not the art
    Just a few subtle changes that I think will make a big difference.
    [quoted image]

Are those white spots on the inlane guides just inserts, or are they player or software-controllable walls that let you block outlanes to make the side with the block up "safe?"

Also, that left ball return will drop the ball past the inserts below, not on them, right?

#604 2 years ago

Where’s that upper shot going? I couldn’t see a physical picture of it anywhere, probably missed it

#605 2 years ago

Upper shot has 3 paths

1 jump into wall ride/bounce to right ramp

2 jump onto wire forms that drop off behind upper right flipper (not pictured)

3 across rails to plunger lane for “thunder up” modes

4 let go by and feeds lower right flipper

8F42748A-B2C3-421D-B6DD-035DA4E4E18F (resized).jpeg8F42748A-B2C3-421D-B6DD-035DA4E4E18F (resized).jpeg
    #606 2 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Upper shot has 3 paths
    [quoted image]

Very cool very interested to see video of this, I’ve been thinking of upper flipper shots for a while so stoked to see how it plays.

#607 2 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Upper shot has 3 paths
    [quoted image]

I just realized that upper deck flipper is going to beat the crap out of the right inside cabinet on missed shots.

#608 2 years ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Upper shot has 3 paths
    [quoted image]

Looks like that PF has seen plenty of action and could do with a clean

But in all seriousness, you've done an amazing job and stuck with it, it's very impressive! Looking forward to seeing the artwork

#609 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Are those white spots on the inlane guides just inserts, or are they player or software-controllable walls that let you block outlanes to make the side with the block up "safe?"
    Also, that left ball return will drop the ball past the inserts below, not on them, right?

Yeah the wire form should drop the ball after the v8 inserts. The v8 inserts are also going to change.

It’s inserts on the drain lanes. But an up down block for the save would be awesome

#610 2 years ago

If I read you right, your return/outlanes are reversed like Fathom, so a normal speed or faster ball down the outer return lane will make it over the gap to the left flipper. The small guide to the left of the gap (right on other flipper) should be a bit higher than the one next to the flipper so that can happen.

No need for a pop-up-block in those gaps, just some rubbers on those small guides so a player can try to nudge save it like on Fathom.

#611 2 years ago
    Quoted from miracleman:

If I read you right, your return/outlanes are reversed like Fathom, so a normal speed or faster ball down the outer return lane will make it over the gap to the left flipper. The small guide to the left of the gap (right on other flipper) should be a bit higher than the one next to the flipper so that can happen.
    No need for a pop-up-block in those gaps, just some rubbers on those small guides so a player can try to nudge save it like on Fathom.

We actually measured Fathom and offset the height the same amount.

There will be one way gates after the gap(like fathom)

2 months later
    #612 1 year ago

How's that upper flipper working out? As an alternative, how about a diverter? Like on Funhouse.

#613 1 year ago

Flipper works good. Really fun shot. Haven’t done anything with the game since my last post. Just waiting on art. Here’s some concept stuff I recently got.

89F85DFA-B906-40D0-88E7-D3814BBCF6F9 (resized).jpeg89F85DFA-B906-40D0-88E7-D3814BBCF6F9 (resized).jpegFA95E847-B5C6-453D-9E7F-1D00AF996447 (resized).jpegFA95E847-B5C6-453D-9E7F-1D00AF996447 (resized).jpeg
    #614 1 year ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Flipper works good. Really fun shot. Haven’t done anything with the game since my last post. Just waiting on art. Here’s some concept stuff I recently got.[quoted image][quoted image]

Very excited to see this in color on the PF with the plastics, etc. How far away do you think you are?

#615 1 year ago

Only thing holding this thing back is art.

The artist is moving the inserts around so I don’t really want to code until that is done. Or at least insert locations are confirmed.

We are trying to simplify the code. It was way to complicated and difficult to get modes going. It’s still complex, just not so confusing.

I really really want to take this to the Chicago pinball show. I hope we can get the playfield art by then.

#616 1 year ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Only thing holding this thing back is art.
    The artist is moving the inserts around so I don’t really want to code until that is done. Or at least insert locations are confirmed.
    We are trying to simplify the code. It was way to complicated and difficult to get modes going. It’s still complex, just not so confusing.
    I really really want to take this to the Chicago pinball show. I hope we can get the playfield art by then.

Deep/complex code is good. Confusing is bad. Are you using callouts to direct the player? That's preferred to on-screen prompts since looking up is rarely done while you're playing unless there's a break in the action.

1 month later
    #617 1 year ago

Anything new to show?

#618 1 year ago

About to cut playfield rev b.

Waiting on welder for rev b ramps.

Waiting on art.

Whole lot of waiting.

#619 1 year ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

About to cut playfield rev b.
    Waiting on welder for rev b ramps.
    Waiting on art.
    Whole lot of waiting.

My old boss would tell me those are nothing but excuses and that I should just make it happen!

#620 1 year ago

New ramps with shims/flaps are in.

Amazing what a difference that makes.

Also went with 18gauge this time instead of 20. Much better.

Also changed the geometry on the upper left ramp so the Newton ball is easier to hit from lower right flipper.

Sent off CAD file to router and am awaiting playfield revB

29378903-0CD0-4EAE-9017-66AC1FA20B89 (resized).jpeg29378903-0CD0-4EAE-9017-66AC1FA20B89 (resized).jpeg
    #621 1 year ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Amazing what a difference that makes

What are those flaps made out of? Did you custom make them?
    Also, I always wondered if the screws (and rivets) don't interfere with ball trajectory.
    Why does the 18 gauge feels better than the 20?
    And if I may, what height are those ramps?

Sorry for so many questions. I'm new to pinball and I'm gathering info to make my own homebrew in the future.

#622 1 year ago
    Quoted from r0nin:

What are those flaps made out of? Did you custom make them?
    Also, I always wondered if the screws (and rivets) don't interfere with ball trajectory.

Probably spring steel.

The screws are close to the ramp wall so they won't affect ball movement. They're also usually counter sunk into the ramp as much as possible. Since the ball is round, the screw head (in green below) is located on the ramp in the part the curve of the ball passes over that doesn't touch the ramp, so the ball doesn't touch the screws, only the wall and floor of the ramp.
    ramp-screw-example (resized).jpgramp-screw-example (resized).jpg

#623 1 year ago

I designed the flaps in solidworks and had them made at oshcut.com

A made flaps out of .005” and .007” hardened spring steel.

Are you asking what height the sides are or how much higher the ramps go than the playfield?

#624 1 year ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Are you asking what height the sides are or how much higher the ramps go than the playfield?

The latter, how high they are from the playfield.

#625 1 year ago

L to R
    3.1”, 2” and 2.5”

But they go through the back wood so that is kinda high. Have to keep flipper power high for these ramps.

Also 18 feels more solid. Balls seem to keep more speed on rebounds off the sides

#626 1 year ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Always thought these were made out of a thin plastic sheet.
    Thanks for the answers PinMonk and @SickNate!

3 weeks later
    #627 1 year ago

Such a bummer to check in from time to time and not see any new updates . Awesome looking build, this is going to be killer!

#628 1 year ago

It’s close, I recently got a Cnc mill(Fanuc robodrill) so my time lately has been spent on getting that ready to make parts .
    Also we have decided To design and make a Cnc router for shits and gigs… so that is a big project. Mostly just waiting on art for this project. Here’s what the artist sent me recently…. Makes me want to have him redo the cabinet art… just don’t have the patience for that though.

24535DB0-E415-4E29-B7D6-AD1F6026C897 (resized).png24535DB0-E415-4E29-B7D6-AD1F6026C897 (resized).png
    #629 1 year ago

The art is sick, this is looking amazing, great job so far!

#630 1 year ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

It’s close, I recently got a Cnc mill(Fanuc robodrill) so my time lately has been spent on getting that ready to make parts .
    Also we have decided To design and make a Cnc router for shits and gigs… so that is a big project. Mostly just waiting on art for this project. Here’s what the artist sent me recently…. Makes me want to have him redo the cabinet art… just don’t have the patience for that though.
    [quoted image]

Looks fantastic, but I feel like the car group by the flippers needs to be larger and the perspective maybe lowered a smidge.

I don't remember exactly what the center part looked like (it was the steering wheel?) but here's an example with that area moved up slightly to allow the car pack to be resized. If you tweak the perspective down a little on the car pack it should be even more impressive with the extra-imposing size.
    fury-road-pf2.giffury-road-pf2.gif

#631 1 year ago

I don't mind the perspective as-is, but definitely agree with sizing up the cars. Fill that space! All the fine detail will get lost at its current size.

#632 1 year ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I don't mind the perspective as-is, but definitely agree with sizing up the cars. Fill that space! All the fine detail will get lost at its current size.

The cars remind me of The Hobbit's first PF pass where Smaug was way too small, flying off over a mountain. Then they revised it to make Smaug giant, front and center. Instant improvement in impact.

Those cars are amazing and the formation of the cars chosen and placed on the art has impact. It will just have more if they're larger.

hobbit-pf-compare (resized).jpghobbit-pf-compare (resized).jpg

#633 1 year ago

get some polecats on that art!

1 week later
    #634 1 year ago

Haven't been on in about a year. Wow, so great to see you still focused on this. It's really turning out to be amazing!

1 month later
    #635 1 year ago

I have a question: is there any reason why the artist didn't draw mad max and furiosa to look like the characters in the movie?

2 months later
    #636 1 year ago

Any updates?

#637 1 year ago

Not much for updates.....Still waiting on art.
    Got a playfield solid model off to a local CNC router shop....And he's been flaky
    (not returning texts/emails)

I guess it's a blessing because just stewing on this thing I've decided to make some changes.

I'm going to change out the mini targets that also act as ramp protectors for posts that'll be built in switches. Not sure if these exist or not.
    They do in my head anyways and now in solidworks on my computer.

I'll used an off the shelf post and rubbers that already exist and make a bushing that'll go into a counterbored hole in the playfield.

the post and bushing will be the switch.

I'm in the middle of designing and building a CNC router to start making playfields myself.
    (another reason I haven't done anything on MMFR for awhile)

I've thought about posting stuff from that project here, but don't want to hear a bunch armchair quarterback suggestions.

switch_post (resized).pngswitch_post (resized).png
    #638 1 year ago

They had something similar on Bally's Rolling Stones, don't think it was ever used again after that.. Not sure what method they used but it just sorta killed the ball momentum, not very fun

#639 1 year ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

I've thought about posting stuff from that project here, but don't want to hear a bunch armchair quarterback suggestions.[quoted image]

What about from backseat drivers?

#640 1 year ago

Love the post switch idea. On my build I have a spot I intended to be stand up targets but they’re in the way of the subway. This post switch could be a good solution as it wouldn’t come down below the playfield as far.

#641 1 year ago

Cool idea! I found those posts on an i think x-force playfield. Underneath is a similar switch like there is on a bumper.

IMG_20221111_150205.jpgIMG_20221111_150205.jpgIMG_20221111_150212.jpgIMG_20221111_150212.jpgIMG_20221111_150251.jpgIMG_20221111_150251.jpgIMG_20221111_150253.jpgIMG_20221111_150253.jpg
    #642 1 year ago
    Quoted from stefanmader:

Cool idea! I found those posts on an i think x-force playfield. Underneath is a similar switch like there is on a bumper.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

So essentially the same as the mummy ball and the orb on Iron Maiden Prem/LE, just without a ball on the post.

5 months later
    #643 1 year ago

So, any updates? I've been following this project enthusiastically since its inception.

#644 1 year ago
    Quoted from r0nin:

So, any updates? I've been following this project enthusiastically since its inception.

Yeah, I was thinking about this project just the other day. Jonesing for another update...

#645 1 year ago

Thank's for bumping this thread , i'm discovering the project !
    Hope he will have some artwork update, look very good !

#646 1 year ago

I've just been waiting on art....Only at this point I've pretty much written it off. I guess I need to start looking for a new artist.
    I was waiting for art to make my rev.2 playfield. But I just recently decided to just go ahead with Rev.2,
    Sent off a solid model to a local cabinet maker and should have a playfield within a week.

Made a couple last minute changes.

The upper scoop location now goes to a subway that leads to a new lower right scoop. (see red arrows)
    behind the flipper shot will lead there too.

I swapped out a post for a mini target where it was used as a protector for the upper right flipper ramp (see orange arrow)

Added a mechanical diverter at the inlanes(that drain) so it'll be 50/50 on that. (blue arrow) I think I'll do it on both side.
    Beauty of it is if you drain, you also set up the next player with a save.

Changed the "Lock" and "Load" targets to a mini sling for extra fun.(green arrow)

We plan to make a ton of code and rule changes to simplify things once rev.2 is flipping.

I plan to do more posts in the future, it helps keep me motivated and pushing forward.

I'm really going to try for chicago pinball expo this year, we'll see how the build/code goes.

updates (resized).pngupdates (resized).png
    #647 1 year ago

Got the mini slingshot/mini upper flipper combo mech designed. Took much longer than I though it would but I got it done.

Spoke with my artist friend and he promised me the playfield art by August 1st.

I think I'm going to Fiver the GUI art.

minisling_miniflipper (resized).pngminisling_miniflipper (resized).pngminisling_miniflipperTop (resized).pngminisling_miniflipperTop (resized).png
    #648 1 year ago
    Quoted from SickNate:

Got the mini slingshot/mini upper flipper combo mech designed. Took much longer than I though it would but I got it done.
    Spoke with my artist friend and he promised me the playfield art by August 1st.
    I think I'm going to Fiver the GUI art.[quoted image][quoted image]

As long as you're moving forward, that's all that matters. This project is too cool to sidetrack!

1 week later
    #649 11 months ago

Machined all my custom size/shape inserts for when I finally get a new playfield. Was supposed to get it this week but Cnc router place has stopped answering emails. Maybe I’ll have to find another spot.

46947B85-8A08-4154-8855-732107306B76 (resized).jpeg46947B85-8A08-4154-8855-732107306B76 (resized).jpegEEEEBB4B-245D-40D3-A569-6EFB2509FCCE (resized).jpegEEEEBB4B-245D-40D3-A569-6EFB2509FCCE (resized).jpeg
    #650 11 months ago

Ooh cool idea. What material/thickness did you use?

There are 779 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 16.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/witness-mad-max-fury-road-homebrew/page/13?hl=manny65 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.