(Topic ID: 8075)

With Pinside 3.0 are the High Scores we post visible to everybody?

By v8torino

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WhiteWater_High_Score_001.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

As we all learn this new system,have any of you found out where are all the high scores we post?
    Can a person that is visiting the site find and peruse the high scores posting area?
    I posted my WhiteWater high score and the settings,but can only find it in My Pinside,I would think that we want them public so other members have a score to shoot for,and to start some good natured ribbing of the guy with the high score,like telling him he got that score with the glass off of his machine.
    Thanks for your input,Kirk

WhiteWater_High_Score_001.JPGWhiteWater_High_Score_001.JPG

#2 12 years ago

I see under "Account and Privacy" in your Profile there is a checkbox that allows the posts to be displayed. I can see your Whitewater score under your profile.

#3 12 years ago

OK stangbat I found what you mentioned,Thanks
    I think/thought there would be a seperate section,or have it in the sticky area-maybe with machines listed in alphabetical order or something like that with the high scores listed for anybody who entered that area to go on a high score hunt.

#4 12 years ago

I would like to see a distinction between physical and virtual machines-- for example I've been playing virtual Whirlwind a lot on the Wii lately but it's been quite a while since I've played the real thing.

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from Finrod:

I would like to see a distinction between physical and virtual machines-- for example I've been playing virtual Whirlwind a lot on the Wii lately but it's been quite a while since I've played the real thing.

JMO but virtual pinball scores should be left off. They are fun to play as a video game but are nothing like the real thing. No need to over complicate things. But like I already said that's JMO.

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from Snurdley:

JMO but virtual pinball scores should be left off. They are fun to play as a video game but are nothing like the real thing. No need no over complicate things. But like I stated already it's JMO.

Yeah, no virtual pinball scores of any kind, be them from game console games, from Visual Pinball, or Future Pinball, none of them are the real thing so they shouldn't belong in the high scores.

Sidenote: The "quick profiles" are WAY TO COOL!

#7 12 years ago

I think virtual scores should be allowed, just clearly in a separate category. After all, while scores on my Black Knight 2000 and yours may not strictly be comparable, scores on virtual hardware ARE comparable because the game is going to be exactly the same.

<sub class="mdrtd">Post edited by Finrod : fixed grammar fail</sub>

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from Finrod:

scores on virtual hardware ARE comparable because the game is going to be exactly the same.

I really doubt that a software program, no matter how sophisticared, will be the same as a pinball...

#9 12 years ago

My vote for no virtual pinball scores. I don't subscribe that VP is even pinball. Should be an OT discussion like any other video game and not mixed in with real pinball. Maybe I'm old school and a pin 'snob' but that's my opinion.

As for the OP's original ?, yeah I was hoping the high scores listed by each member would be consolidated into a psuedo high scoring table for all machines. But on second thought, it probably wouldn't make too much sense since each game's scores can be so affected by game settings, number of balls, pitch of the machine, and lastly, the integrity of those posting their scores.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

My vote for no virtual pinball scores.

You can add my vote too...

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

My vote for no virtual pinball scores.

Add a no for me as well.

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from v8torino:

As we all learn this new system,have any of you found out where are all the high scores we post?
    Can a person that is visiting the site find and peruse the high scores posting area?

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm definitely planning to do more with the scores but at this moment scores can be viewed only in a Pinsiders profile. As more scores are posted and the data becomes enough to display averages and such I will add a special score section. So: keep posting your high scores!

Quoted from robertmee:

But on second thought, it probably wouldn't make too much sense since each game's scores can be so affected by game settings, number of balls, pitch of the machine, and lastly, the integrity of those posting their scores.

Especially the integrity. Making a "global" high scoring table per game (even if separated by number of balls or other settings) would invite some folks to post fake scores and that would clearly ruin the whole system. So for now , scores are rather personal. I did include a ranking percentage, so people have an idea where their high score ranks - but whose score that is is not disclosed at this time. Hope that makes sense.

Quoted from Finrod:

I think virtual scores should be allowed, just clearly in a separate category.

I would gladly add an option to the "where" select box. Choose from home, wild, tournament or virtual ... That way we can separate the real pinball scores from the virtual ones. In that way I could exclude them from the aforementioned ranking percentage and they wouldn't hurt anyone. But letting virtual scores compete with real scores is -in my opinion- uselss. They just can't be compared.

#13 12 years ago

Since there's now a seperate topic for the voting of what scores should be entered in the hi score charts, and getting back to this topic... i.e. where can the hi scores be seen... surely there should be a list, or tab, on each game's page showing the top 100 scores (or maybe all the scores...) I, for example, can see I got 87% of the highest recorded score for Tron, but I don't know if I'm in 2nd place, or 100th place... I know the high score is my score time 1/0.87, but that's it... I don't even know who the high score owner is...

Can we have a hi-score chart on each machines page? Without it, having Hi scores at all seems a bit meaningless...

#14 12 years ago

We were writing at the same time Robin

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Hope that makes sense.

It makes sense, but at the end of the day, without seeing a chart it seems a little odd... I can see the problem that people will probably just post fake scores, it's the equivelent to trolling really, just being a pain for no reason... unfortunatly these people are out there... just to try and spoil the good natured and honest fun of others... sadly there's no way round it, other than to spot the fraudsters somehow... Not an easy one!

#16 12 years ago

How about having everybody upload a picture of the score as well? Yes, you can still cheat by playing with the glass removed but you would at least have to have access to the game. Not perfect but it would be more difficult to troll.
    I guess if we try and play, our fun can be spoiled but not playing at all is no fun at all.

#17 12 years ago

I will add a high scores overview to each page in the Pinside archive once we get enough scores in!

I will also think about promoting the scores section a bit more.

What we really need is a mobile app which can post scores to your profile. Aargh, if only I had some more spare time

No seriously, a mobile version of the Pinside is coming soon!

#18 12 years ago

I'm just going to be entering mine as a personal reference in case my batteries die or I have to reset my machines. I'm pretty sure my scores are nowhere near the Wizman level.

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from Marten:

How about having everybody upload a picture of the score as well? Yes, you can still cheat by playing with the glass removed but you would at least have to have access to the game. Not perfect but it would be more difficult to troll.

That's not a bad idea... there's already the option to do this, so when the charts are revealed for each machine, there could be a little marker (camera?) next to the score to signify that a photo has been posted to back it up... that way these scores would have more validity... The scores I've entered so far are from memory of games I've played in the past where I remember getting some mega score, but from now on I'll take pics if I do something good

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/with-pinside-30-are-the-high-scores-we-post-visible-to-everybody and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.