Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by scottc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Be honest and pick one”

• Yep I overspent on a pin and regret it 24 votes
      13%
    • Yep overspent don't care 76 votes
      40%
    • Feel like good deals on every pin I bought 88 votes
      47%

(188 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

Do you feel like you overspent on one of your pins and by how much?

Prices are falling in my opinion and feel we are about to see a big selloff in the coming year.

#2 10 years ago

bump for poll

#3 10 years ago

Seems that usually lots of pins go on sale spring/summer and less for sale start of winter. As for me, I feel I have paid fair prices.

#4 10 years ago

Prices falling???? Not in europe...

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from DEN:

Prices falling???? Not in europe...

Here in the states I think they are. I just see prices on pins for sale falling and pins taking a lot longer to sell.

#6 10 years ago

I have overspent compared to what some people would pay. I live in an area where there is limited public playing, and a limited number of machines available for sale and trade. Having the cash, I figure screw it. Only go around on this big blue/green marble once. I'd rather have the machines in my house and playing them than constipate myself about a couple hundred bucks here or there.

#7 10 years ago

A couple months ago I over paid about $200 for a Firepower but the guy did a bunch of electronic work on it that I would of had to seek advice about on RGP. Not that I'm affraid to dive in there and work on stuff, but it was nice to bring the game home, set it up and play... He also did a commendable shop job it too. Flippers rebuilt, cleaned, waxed, rubbered, etc. ... Worth the $200 extra to me.

-Steve Ridge
    Louisville, KY

#8 10 years ago

Didn't we do this last week?

I paid no more than I had to to get the tables I wanted.

#9 10 years ago

Yep i overspent on an huo family guy,in nib state. in Belgium.. (living in the netherlands) It was at least 345 euro's too expensive... But that was only 10% ...

And where do you find A an huo FGY, and B in that particular NIB condition ? (yes absolute NIB state) Well i wanted the game,found it and YES i bought it a little to expensive... Wel it was an 3,5 hour trip, and a 4hours back.... I even had to rent an bigger car for it, so there came an additional 150 euro's add up for gas an rental car and visit at the local Belgium Mc Donalds...

As my wel lovely wife then said to me:
    Better an little overspent and having the "you so wanted pinball", then to listen to your moaning and complants that you COULD have own, an overspended FGU in NIB state...

(she like Family Guy (the cartoon series) too, so that was not an problem, the 2 other pins a had have in the past, where an RFM, and an TFTC, ans she hated them both.)

#10 10 years ago

There are more entering this great hobby, than leaving. The economy is somewhat stable, who knows for how long. Weather related events, ect, reduces every year a portion of the older supply. NIB pins are increasing in cost. All of these tend to stabilize prices. However, the new generation buyer wants a pin that reflects their life experiences , which is why there is such an increased demand for new. Technology improvements in pins ( see WOZ 1.8 video) illustrates new capabilities of this technology , and it's not yet complete. Whether you are a fan or not, it's a huge leap compared to anything that I own(38 pins) , or have owned (35 others). Stern will no doubt meet the challenge . I own 15 Sterns 2004- 2013, and like everyone of them. I have paid for WOZLE , and eagerly await every new code change before it arrives. I plan on ordering both from JJP and Stern as new games are released . I recently passed on several great examples of about 5 top 20 games that I don't own because they have experienced expodential increases. Fun VS price, new age demographics wanting generational games , aging of existing owners, will likely result in these correcting with regard to price.

#12 10 years ago

I've overpaid by more than $1,000 on more than one occasion. I wish I could say it was because I was a newbie, but the last time I overpaid I should have known better.

#13 10 years ago

I have paid mostly fair value on most of my games. I have not sold any for a loss. I have taken a bath on the arcades I have sold. The pins have either held value or appreciated for me.

#14 10 years ago

Am I willing to pay for a scarce and local resource? Yes.

Of the 8 machines I have bought in the last 6 months, I have not found 1 come up for a better price in better quality in my area. (whew!)

(I didn't buy a T2. If I had bought a T2, I would be questioning myself every month wondering if the new T2 for sale is better than my T2. hehehe)

Do I think I overpaid on a few of them? Yes. Do I think I underpaid on a few of them? Yes. In general, do I think I am paying a high price for a scarce resource? Yes. Am I ok with that? Yes. I feel like I paid a nice "finders fee" on a few of my machines. I am perfectly happy with that. Someone did the work for me of finding a junker and making it awesome. Cool. Appreciated.

[Whirlwind, Diner, Taxi, Grand Lizard, Black Knight, Space Station, Cyclone, Space Shuttle.]

I am truly thankful to have found these babies for a good price, and to have the opportunity to learn the art of pinball (and pinball maintenance) on them.

I think it's more fun to have 8 Williams machines than 1 new Stern LE.

"NOT for sale!"
    -mof

#15 10 years ago

I just bought my first table and got an AC/DC Premium nib for $6050 plus $250 shipping right before the flew up to $7700 on Stern so no, I personally and feeling pretty good about that. When I get more room to have more tables, I will certainly look for my old favorites and will try to get a good price, but if they're there and for sale, it's hard to say what it will take for me to pull the trigger. Just like car collectors, would I pay $35,000 for a Chevy Nova - nope, but someone will.

#16 10 years ago

I feel like my TAF was too much, but I don't regret it. It cleaned up nicely and is a good player - by no means a showpiece but pretty good. The rest, I got very nice deals on. In some cases almost criminal hehe!

#17 10 years ago

The way prices are going, overspending today will seem like a fair deal in 6 months to a year.

Last year I bought a documented HUO LOTR for 3,700, back then it was a fair deal, today it would be a steal.

#18 10 years ago

Everybody online tells me I got a good deal on mine, but then none have seen it in person to really tell me truthfully. In my gut, I think I paid $100 too much. Firepower for $500 seemed like a great deal, but having the wrong sound board (no voice for me) is gonna cost me $100+ to replace, hence my gut feeling. Everything else I need to put into the table seems about right for the purchase price.

I tell ya what though, had I not bought the table, I wouldn't have my first pin sitting here at home with me anytime in the near future. One of those instances where timing and money perfectly aligned. It was a Craigslist sale, there was another buyer coming half hour after me, and the guy wasn't negotiating. Had I walked, someone else would have gotten it. Since then, I've checked Craigslist regularly and haven't seen another system 6 or beyond for anything less than $1200.

Regardless of what I spent, the real trick is to now not overspend trying to fix it up. Hopefully I'll do better on that end, but who knows. First time pin owner, I'm bound to make many first time mistakes.

#19 10 years ago

I over paid on my first 3 pin deal. Other than that, I've done pretty good.

#20 10 years ago

Don't forget about the boost competitive pinball is giving this hobby. The PAPA TV Livestreaming kickstarter set a goal of 20K to stream events... they got 58K in pledges and are going full blast with a much-expanded program.

I believe prices are stagnant for two reasons. First, five very popular current or planned machines (tron pro, acdc premium, woz, hobbit and metallica) have sucked a *lot* of cash from the used game market, while at the same time put many used games ON the market, as people trade up to those new machines. Second, it's springtime across some of the bigger markets (MN, IL, MI, OH, PA, NY) and interest in pinball is going through a seasonal ebb. Just wait til October...

#21 10 years ago

i'm saving up for Star Trek. So to answer the question ... if I haven't overpayed yet, I will soon

#22 10 years ago

I tend to keep my pins for a long time. My TZ I paid under 2000,TAF 900,FT 1600,CFBL bought NIB,
    TOM bought NIB. If you hold on to them and enjoy them, you will some day get your money back or even make money . It sure beats leaving your money in the bank and earning one tenth of one percent.Do I think I over spent? Not at all when I consider the enjoyment me and my family have on a good night of playing.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from scottc:

Here in the states I think they are. I just see prices on pins for sale falling and pins taking a lot longer to sell.

Nah. They are taking longer to sell because now everyone is jumping on the bandwagon and trying to get top dollar for junk machines. If I get 4k for a mint BSD that doesn't make a beater BSD is worth 4k. So when that beater goes up for sale it sits... And eventually that person will lower their price. It's just people trying to capitalize on the increases.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

It's just people trying to capitalize on the increases.

This pretty much sums it up

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from scottc:

Prices are falling in my opinion

I wish there was a shred of evidence to support this opinion.

#26 10 years ago

I paid $2250 for a working TZ back in September. It was pretty dirty when I bought it, but it cleaned up nicely.

Unfortunately, it will probably leave my collection. So I probably won't make out like a bandit in this case.

I paid market value on my Rollergames. It's a Diamond Plate version in beautiful shape. Paid $900 for it.

#27 10 years ago

I feel I overspent on my comet, I paid what I wanted for a good condition comet and what I got wasn't up to the standard I hoped. Cosmetically it's great, the playfields nice except for some mylar bubble, but it's had a few issues I've had to fix and one I'm still sorting out. Some days I regret it but usually I'm happy because it plays really nice now and is one of my favourites. Other than that I'm happy with what I paid for my other ones. I will say that NIB prices here are absoloutly insane though.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from diskoboy:

I paid $2250 for a working TZ back in September. It was pretty dirty when I bought it, but it cleaned up nicely.
    Unfortunately, it will probably leave my collection. So I probably won't make out like a bandit in this case.
    I paid market value on my Rollergames. It's a Diamond Plate version in beautiful shape. Paid $900 for it.

I sent you a pm.

#29 10 years ago

I don't even own a pin yet, and won't for at least half a decde, but when I do, I'll buy one of the pins I've wanted for many years now. It's very likely that no matter how much I "overspend", it'll be money well spent in my mind.

And for those who want to PM me after reading that, I said "for at least half a decade." Hang on, and I'll overpay then.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from GulliverK:

I just bought my first table and got an AC/DC Premium nib for $6050 plus $250 shipping right before the flew up to $7700 on Stern so no, I personally and feeling pretty good about that. When I get more room to have more tables, I will certainly look for my old favorites and will try to get a good price, but if they're there and for sale, it's hard to say what it will take for me to pull the trigger. Just like car collectors, would I pay $35,000 for a Chevy Nova - nope, but someone will.

AC/DC prem is not $7,700

#31 10 years ago

Patience = not overspending. I've passed up purchasing numerous pins because I knew I could find one in better condition or for less money. Saying that, it's getting tougher and tougher to do that these days. The only one I've overspent on is my SM and that was to help out a friend who needed to sell it for financial reasons.

#32 10 years ago

Great prices on all of our games.

Then again, we're not into buying pimped out-top tier either.

#33 10 years ago

It seems like beat versions of AFM, MM, etc are not selling as high as they once did.

#34 10 years ago

You have to look at the market area, some of you guys make me laugh at the prices you complain about. It's supply and demand , here there is no supply so if a machine comes along grab it if you want it , you won't have control over the price , so if its 400 over the "market " value , you pay it or lose it to someone else. I would love to pay the price that pinsiders put on certain machines.

#35 10 years ago

when the home market goes, and it will. this is all a trend, prices will go down a bit too. Stern might even go back to one version of a pin when LE isn't viable anymore. Home market have a huge impact on NIB price right now. Watch out when peoples attention goes elsewhere.

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

AC/DC prem is not $7,700 ...

That's exactly what I was thinking. If it is, I've got a nicely modded one that I would happily sell for that price ...

#36 10 years ago

''modded'' pin prices makes me shudder. I still can't beleve peoples add up the prices of mods to the pin value.

#37 10 years ago

To me, it depends on the mod. Adding a color DMD, for example, adds value to the machine. Many trinkets add nothing.

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from JackSlater:

''modded'' pin prices makes me shudder. I still can't beleve peoples add up the prices of mods to the pin value.

So a fully modded Tron Pro should sell the exact same as a non modded Tron Pro? Not sure how that makes sense, some of those mods cost hundreds of dollars. A seller should just expect to toss them in for free? If I was selling one and the buyer didn't want to pay extra (not necessarily full retail, but at least some) for the mods, I would just pull them out and offer them the machine bare bones.

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from scottc:

Prices are falling in my opinion and feel we are about to see a big selloff in the coming year.

No disrespect but I see this quote or a variation of this prediction every year. Every year...
    And it always comes during the spring/summer time when family's have their attention focused elsewhere. To me its an annual lull or pinball summertime blues.

Then comes the fall/winter months, especially towards Christmas and prices get moving again.

Some say a bubble will burst and others predict this a revival. I sense its neither extreme and somewhere in the middle.

- Wish I had a crystal ball.

Kim

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

I would just pull them out and offer them the machine bare bones.

I think that's exactly the right strategy. Here's the price with the mods, and here's the price without. You can always sell them separately.

#41 10 years ago

I feel I have paid a fair market value or less on most, if not all, of my machines. My DW I maybe went a $200 or so more than I should have, but it was my first and it had to be THAT machine.

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

So a fully modded Tron Pro should sell the exact same as a non modded Tron Pro? Not sure how that makes sense, some of those mods cost hundreds of dollars. A seller should just expect to toss them in for free? If I was selling one and the buyer didn't want to pay extra (not necessarily full retail, but at least some) for the mods, I would just pull them out and offer them the machine bare bones.

there is tons of precedent in tons of other hobbies for what mods add to the value of a thing: it's never anywhere near the sum total of cost put into it. if the mods are good mods and are done well, it can increase its value. but never equivalent to the amount of money put into it, particularly if the mod is something completely simple to install such as a color DMD or LEDs. That's a fact.

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from scottc:

+1

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from JackSlater:

''modded'' pin prices makes me shudder

If a pin has the mods you want it makes total sense. If they don't then it does not. Its that easy.

#45 10 years ago

What is overpaying? Is it overpaying if it's worth it to you? What if you can sell it for the price you paid, but it might take a couple months to find a buyer? To some people, overpaying is if you don't get the game for half price or less.

It's all relative.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from freezie:

You have to look at the market area, some of you guys make me laugh at the prices you complain about. It's supply and demand , here there is no supply so if a machine comes along grab it if you want it , you won't have control over the price , so if its 400 over the "market " value , you pay it or lose it to someone else. I would love to pay the price that pinsiders put on certain machines.

This is Truth.

Most pinheads are more constrained by space rather than $$$ it seems. My usual thought is the high end will stay high as people run out of room faster than they run out of money in this hobby.

Every game in my collection for I have "overpaid" for based upon prevailing prices by a few hundred dollars (those that were not bought as non-working projects that is... wait even some of those I overpaid for....).

But I have a collection of games I love, rather than a collection of stuff I was able to lowball people on. Your mileage may vary. Pins are not really available in my area, and I live on an island making chasing any "steals" not really a viable option. If I want a game, I can pay up or watch it go to another buyer. Its simple.

#47 10 years ago

I'm in the situation of probably paid too much for my first pin, but with limited supply in my area and less knowledge at the time, I was happy to get it. I don't care that I overpaid, because I plan on keeping it. (Honestly, I thought that I did really good considering the circumstances and options available to me at the time, and was really proud of myself until I got on Pinside and was told how stupid I was for paying the price. )

I still haven't gotten a super duper great deal on a pin yet, but the ones that I got from a local Pinsider were fairly priced. Actually... I did get a pretty good deal on my fire damaged Spiderman, so I guess that evens out the overpaying on the JP.

#48 10 years ago

yes, but its a pin that wont be leaving, so it was worth it.....

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

there is tons of precedent in tons of other hobbies for what mods add to the value of a thing: it's never anywhere near the sum total of cost put into it. if the mods are good mods and are done well, it can increase its value. but never equivalent to the amount of money put into it, particularly if the mod is something completely simple to install such as a color DMD or LEDs. That's a fact.

That guy have it right. Peoples here put 400$ of mods in their trons and expect a FULL cash back. That is a joke. Same with leds. If a pins have 600$ bucks of mods leds, shaker and other crazy crap I might pay a little more 100-200$ over market price but never full retail value. It dosen't make sense.

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/with-all-the-skyrocketing-prices-the-last-two-years and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.