(Topic ID: 61292)

Wishy Washy About my Lineup. Is it just me?

By davewtf

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Atomicboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

Man, i don't know what gives with me sometimes. One day I think I should just add one more game and the lineup will be "done" and the next I'm thinking about putting them all up for trade. Maybe i need meds? Is anyone else like this? No need for CG to reply, i know the answer there. Sorry, Coaster.

#2 10 years ago

Would it be easier if I jacked up my selling prices? Would eliminate the desire to acquire....LOL

I am here for ya buddy, just say the word

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Would it be easier if I jacked up my selling prices? Would elminate the desire to acquire....LOL
    I am here for ya buddy, just say the word

that would just put me in "trade" mode. Please don't.

#4 10 years ago

To answer your original question, I am wishy-washy too.... I told my wife I was going to keep Phantom of the Opera and then this guy on the Internet offers me a Jackbot as partial trade towards Addams Family....She isn't going to be too pleased

#5 10 years ago

I think it is fairly normal. Pinbot and High Speed were my favorite pins growing up, and I had to have them in my collection, and I thought I would never get rid of them. About a month ago, I traded them both for an Apollo 13. I put a trade post on CL with really no thought, but I think it turned out pretty well. I don't see myself trying to trade STTNG or GnR, but you never know. I think Demo Man and Apollo 13 will eventually get traded. I actually have a couple of extra spots in the gameroom right now, so there is no pressing need to do any trades.

#6 10 years ago

You have all keepers for sure just not enough of them.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

this guy on the Internet offers me a Jackbot as partial trade towards Addams Family....

dude sounds like a low-balling tirekicker to me. i wouldn't deal with him, personally.

Right now, I'm thinking i'd like to trade MM for TS & MB, BSD for FT, somehow parlay jackbot into TAF and I dunno about AFM... Maybe turn that into Spiderman? Just thinking out loud. Not trying to solicite offers but moreso trying to illustrate how bat$hit crazy i am right now. lol.

#8 10 years ago

Ugg...I think wishy-washy is my middle name. First few years in the hobby I was a keep everything kind of guy. Never sold. I'd get attached to these stupid objects and feel like I can't let them go.

Then I ran out of room and money. Money more so than room (had a child, wife quit her job to be stay-at-home mom which is awesome but cost us more than 1/3 of our income). So when I got the urge for something new, one reluctantly went. That was ok. So when a grail came up, a whole bunch of them went (6-for-1). That was actually ok too, even though I miss a couple. So I proved that I could do it, but making that decision is so freaking hard for me.

I'm going through it right now with my ST:TNG. Love the game, love the theme, but it rarely gets played in favor of the newer stuff. It's the most valuable of my less played stuff, so might as well trade it out, right? But it's Trek...and I love it. Can't do that. But I could get a new shiny! I like new shiny! Let's do it! Spent the last week convinced I could do it. Even played a few games, did crappy with those damn outlanes swallowing everything. Grr...fine...it's going. Then last night I play a ton, really get into the groove, and have an absolute blast. I remembered everything I loved about it. Dammit...back to square one...donno if I can let it go. Attached to a stupid physical object. *sigh* What to do, what to do. Still want new shiny...hard to let old love go. Can't have both. Wishy-washy wins again...

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

dude sounds like a low-balling tirekicker to me. i wouldn't deal with him, personally.
    Right now, I'm thinking i'd like to trade MM for TS & MB, BSD for FT, somehow parlay Jackbot into TAF and I dunno about AFM... Maybe turn that into spiderman? Just thinking out loud. Not trying to solicite offers but moreso trying to illustrate how bat$hit crazy i am right now. lol.

He knows where I live, so I am cordial, between you and me, the guy frightens me....

Knowing what I know about your collection, I think the only one you would really regret is MM. I know it isn't about the money, but it sort of is.... You are so far ahead on MM, replacing it down the road if you miss it will take a lot longer than finding your other titles in the same ballpark.

All the games you mention in your want list and your current list are easy titles to find minus MM, AFM, and MB. (Relative to pricing)

I know your son likes AFM, but that is a tougher title to find, and to get a MB(another tougher one), you will probably have to lose one to get one.

#10 10 years ago

I feel like this sometimes, but with 16 pins and 13 Video games - reality sets in and reminds me just how crazy that would be. If I owned a MM and an AFM, I would keep those two and trade off the weaker titles. Having owned a MB for years I'd say you would want your MM back after a short time. My opinion, yours may vary!

#11 10 years ago

If I think I'm not in love with a game anymore, I'll do a temp trade or put it in storage for a while. If it feels like a new game after not even seeing it for 4-6 months, great - it's a keeper. If not, it's time to sell or trade.

I know a guy who cycles through most of his collection in 1-2 years. I'm envious of his ability to let things go, because he gets to play new (to him) games all the time.

#12 10 years ago

I am wishy washy, but not really..... I get bored with all my machines. The ones that go are the ones that I can find again (I have had multiple titles, multiple times), and the ones that stay are the ones my wife and kids enjoy playing.

Out of all the machines in my current collection, there are only two that I am not wishy washy on at the moment and that is because they are tougher to replace if I want them back- Jolly Park, and to a lesser extent, CO1812....

#13 10 years ago

Had to see if I could get the wife's favorite, High Speed, as eventually she had it on her Christmas wish list. It was never really my favorite. Notice her play my other games all the time, hardly ever was playing High Speed. I asked her about this and she said "It wasn't as fun as I remember it". So it's out and I'm looking for something else right now.

#14 10 years ago

Adding The Shadow and WPT while getting rid of BSD would complete it. The Brian Eddy collection plus Jackbot for the rare game and WPT for the deepest game ever.

#15 10 years ago

Somehow I knew who the OP would be before even opening the thread Dave, you've got a great line-up currently but I know you play a lot of pinball and haven't switched up the line-up in a while so it may be time to change up a game or two. I know you tend to gravitate more towards MM over AFM so I would probably hang onto MM in your situation, especially since the game would be hard to replace in the future. But I would entertain offers on the other 3 and see if anything interests you.

I've gone thru the same thing and find that I need to swap in a new game and kick out an old one at least a few times a year to keep things fresh.

#17 10 years ago

Gotta keep the buzz going

I have trade like 15 or so in last 2 years and some I really miss but got to have new ones.

Some games are easy to get again, unless you get real mint ones. I always used to trade worst condition first.

Bought another this week and man it gets hard deciding what has to go!

#18 10 years ago

I assumed this would be you Dave

From what I know of you I would say you need to add one more game first. A 5 game lineup will push your space limits and you will quickly decide which one "needs to leave".

You are fortunate that you have such a great lineup.

Aside from adding, there are lots of locals that would probably do temp trades? May Jason would loan you spidey for a while? Maybe sean would do TS?

I would happily do a temporary trade with you if you are interested sometime in the future (after the cooler months set in and pinball playing gets more in season for me). I am guessing you would like to play my FT for a bit? I would like to have an AFM or BSD to learn the ruleset better. I am guessing you may even get some free work out of me on whatever game we trade as I tend to spend more time tweaking things than playing

#19 10 years ago

I had a Congo that i thought "i will never sell this one", then lotr came......

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

A 5 game lineup will push your space limits and you will quickly decide which one "needs to leave".

I am actually at a point where i'm contemplating finishing off a 500 square foot area in the basement just so i don't need to sell stuff.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I would happily do a temporary trade with you if you are interested sometime in the future (after the cooler months set in and pinball playing gets more in season for me).

Thanks for the generous offer! I will keep that in mind. As much as i like the idea of the temp trade, i got a little separation anxiety when i did this once.

#21 10 years ago

You have a real nice line up. I'm going to add 2-3 more and that's it (out of room). I have to say when I went from 2 to 5 pins I played more pinball. I think variety helps a lot and you may find it brings you back to your older games more. Just a thought

Cheers

#22 10 years ago

I'm real wishy-washy whenever I let one go. Almost every game I've sold I've listed for sale, then backed out and gave first responder dibs, then sold to them as soon as money for a new purchase was absolutely needed. I know it's not the best way to go about it, but it's really hard for me to sale, even when I am ready to get rid of game, unless something else is immediately going to take its place.

#23 10 years ago

I'm in the same boat Dave. I thought I wanted to sell RS, but then after playing it with other pins at MGC I realized that I really like this game, a lot! I just couldn't do it.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

i got a little separation anxiety when i did this once.

There's your answer! If you sell, it will be more permanent than that.. as Tim pointed out, you have some that would be tough to replace. I know you've wanted a MB for a while, so maybe you could part with one of them if it means an MB?

Forget all that - finish off that basement!!

#25 10 years ago

You're not alone. I've gone through a bunch of games in the last 10 months. IM trying to get back to a stable consistent 4 pin lineup and not rotate so often. Almost there. Just gotta sell one more B/W game, buy 1 more stern, and stop!! ...at least til next month

#26 10 years ago

Sounds normal to me. I wish my brother lived closer so that we could swap two or three games every few months. That would help to keep the lineup fresh without adding cost.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Man, i don't know what gives with me sometimes. One day I think I should just add one more game and the lineup will be "done" and the next I'm thinking about putting them all up for trade. Maybe i need meds? Is anyone else like this? No need for CG to reply, i know the answer there. Sorry, Coaster.

I really think you should put them all up for sale REALLY cheap and give me first crack at them. I know it would make you REALLY happy.

Some times I feel the same way.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I am actually at a point where i'm contemplating finishing off a 500 square foot area in the basement just so i don't need to sell stuff.

Thanks for the generous offer! I will keep that in mind. As much as i like the idea of the temp trade, i got a little separation anxiety when i did this once.

Well, sound to me like yo already know the answer... Time to finish off the basement and buy more pins.

That said, you know I will treat your pins better than you do so you should do a temp trade with me

I can not afford to buy all the games I want to play and my FT is probably one of the nicest you will ever play (just being honest here) so it will work just fine

no worries if you don't want to as I understand also.

#29 10 years ago

I want in on this wisconsin trade circle thing you guys got goin on here. Everyone in my town is all about flipping or collecting huo. Id say I'm more in the middle of those two extremes.

#30 10 years ago

I'm pretty sure i'm adding TAF to the mix, unless the shifty seller I'm dealing with decides not to honor our agreement.

Just talking out loud here, I don't know why I'm telling the entire pinside world. i hope this completes my collection.

#31 10 years ago

good stuff!!! You will love a nice working TAF!

LMK if you want to temp trade ever. The offer stands.

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

i hope this completes my collection.

LOL.....

#33 10 years ago

TAF is an awesome pin, I just never get tired of playing it. If it doesnt have a colorDMD thats a mod thats really worth it, its such a big part of the pin having it in color is sweet.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I'm pretty sure i'm adding TAF to the mix, unless the shifty seller I'm dealing with decides not to honor our agreement.
    Just talking out loud here, I don't know why I'm telling the entire pinside world. i hope this completes my collection.

TAF will be a great addition to your line-up! Are you straight up buying it or do you have to sacrifice Jackbot to get it?

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

TAF will be a great addition to your line-up! Are you straight up buying it or do you have to sacrifice Jackbot to get it?

Is it a sacrifice if it is going to a loving home?

I think Dave is keeping Jackbot for now, but it is hard to tell, because his mood varies after lunchtime...

#36 10 years ago

Pinball would be a poorer hobby for us all if we all always kept all the machines we had. Think of circulating your collection as a public service!

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Is it a sacrifice if it is going to a loving home?
    I think Dave is keeping Jackbot for now, but it is hard to tell, because his mood varies after lunchtime...

Good point! I'll ask the same question again tomorrow since Dave will have likely changed his mind 3 or 4 times by then

As long as one of you guys has Jackpot I'll be happy to play it!

#38 10 years ago

My current lineup includes:

Transformers LE (bought in March, NIB)
    Funhouse (Just finished restoring)
    STTNG (I fully restored- it's pristine)
    TOM (About to replace plastic ramps- then it will be pristine)
    Stern Spiderman (totally modded out playfield- in great shape but was routed).

...it's like Sophie's choice for me....I love them all....what do? Who has to go....?

I'm leaning towards Spiderman- but I still like it. I keep telling myself I'll wait at least 6/12 months before the next sell/swap-- but this year alone I bought/sold/fixed up 3 machines.....sigh.

IT'S ONLY PINBALL.
    IT'S ONLY PINBALL.
    IT'S ONLY PINBALL.....sigh. No it's ONLY AN OBSESSION!

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

A pinball addict is never done! Rest assured you are not alone.

#40 10 years ago

Change my line-up almost every year. Sorry I changed my line-up every year!!!-Joe

#41 10 years ago

There is no question that having AFM and MM in a 4 machine lineup will leave you feeling too much similarity in two very overpriced machines. I don't care what anyone says about them being different enough, not in a small collection.

My advice would be to give up one of those, and further mix up the type of machines you have. I would keep AFM over MM (and have chosen that scenario in fact), and keep BSD, which is your quick and dirty. I prefer pinbot over jackbot, but I would think about selling that as well, and definitely putting a TAF and a deep game like TSPP, LOTR or ACDCp in there.

That's my 2 cents, but this is coming from someone with 27 machines and no ability to let anything go.

#42 10 years ago

This sounds very common to me. Always trying to adjust my lineup until it is just perfect. By that time my idea of perfect has changed slightly. Lucky me it is not a drastic change.

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

We all want what we don't have.

This is the main problem and something I know I struggle with.

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

My advice would be to give up one of those,

My gut tells me to do the same but I also feel like getting either is a compromise. I like MM better but all the local pinheads seem to like AFM better, I feel like i'm getting rid of the top dog if i do that. Meh, this is difficult.

Maybe just $hit can the whole thing. lol.

#45 10 years ago

I'll buy your BSD

Then you will be so busy with sellers remorse that you will not worry about if you would be better off selling MM or AFM...

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I have know idea what this clown is talking about. GEEEZ

#47 10 years ago

I would keep your favorite, I would assume your afm would sell local so you and the local pinheads would still get to play it. I have battled the mind game on those two titles. Trust your gut.....at least until you get the meds

#48 10 years ago

I know you have thought of this, anyone would, and the fact that you can't let go of one of them is what is driving you to the point of thinking of selling them all - boredom in diversity. You feel like there will be a void that you insanely created by letting go of something ranked so high.

Just pull the band aid and do it, and get something else that will rejuvenate you. You know this is the right direction to go, you just have to make the first move.

#49 10 years ago

I have people ahead of you in line that wouldn't speak to me if i passed over their "dibs". I'll let you know if i get that far down the line.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

You feel like there will be a void that you insanely created by letting go of something ranked so high.

this.

Quoted from haunted1:

I would assume your afm would sell local

i have a buyer and an agreed upon price. i just can't pull the trigger.

Well, I guess i've come to the conclusion that Coaster and I are not alone. I will keep my mind busy without clogging the interwebs further. Thanks to all who replied.

#50 10 years ago

I miss WWFRR more than MM if that tells you anything...

Don't get me wrong, MM rocks just dont miss it as much as some others.

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wishy-washy-about-my-lineup-is-it-just-me and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.