(Topic ID: 11637)

~ GOT my old Gottlieb "300" Machine back. Noob needs help.

By Juggernaut

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC06360.jpg
463860_2954783673594_1381519105_321303.jpg
468365_2954781193532_1381519105_321303.jpg
383443_2954783393587_1381519105_321303.jpg
DSC06375.jpg
DSC06372.jpg
DSC06365.jpg
DSC06364.jpg
DSC06363.jpg
DSC06362.jpg
DSC06361.jpg
DSC06360.jpg
SMDSC06333.jpg
SMDSC06297.jpg
SMDSC06296.jpg
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 12 years ago

Once upon a time, about 1982 (I was about 13 years old) .. I worked my butt off as a kid delivering newspapers..
I didn't buy a stereo or a ten speed bike.. I bought a Gottlieb 300 machine.
It's not that it was a fantastic machine.. but it was is pretty good shape and what I could afford after busting my butt a for couple of years.

I was a Hard Core Pinballer growing up.. Living in East Lansing Mi, I spent every penny I didn't save at the legendary "Pinball Pete's" location.. Gaining as much knowledge as I could from "Hippy" AKA Mike.. (Mike and Ziff even gave me my first job after I got out of the Corps.)

Long story short, Folks got divorced. I bounced around from house to house, fostered, even crashing at pete's or at the benches outside of bilbos across the street.. somehow managed to graduate after getting kicked outta a few high schools and joined the USMC..

I had only assumed that the old 300 machine was lost to time & family dispersal.

Fast forward to 2012.. I'm finally at a place in life where I got the resources and room to get back into pinball. I buy an old "Big Brave" table.. gets me thinking about my old 300 machine.
I have only spoke with my father a half dozen times in the past 4 or five years. but off the cuff, I ask him what ever happened to the old 300 machine. turns out it's at some shoestring cousins house.. To my understanding, it still works but is in rough shape.. (Thats OK! I'm UP for a restoration project.) I had assumed it was lost, destroyed, abandoned or sold off!

Long story short, my aunt who acquired it from my father for "nothing" is being "difficult" (that's the nice word for "bitch", right?) due to the "demonetization" of my character from that side of the family regarding the Looong past divorce of my folks.

anyhow, this whole drama fest has got me and the old man talking again & he is doing all he can to help me get the machine back..

May sound cheezy.. but I'd appreciate a prayer (or if ya don't pray, wish me luck!) regarding this matter.. I do think the whole thing have put me and the old man on the mend.... I would just be really cool to get my first pin back..

#2 12 years ago

Hope you get it back since it has so much history with you.

#3 12 years ago

Good luck on the 300 man it's come a long way.
Big Brave is a fantastic game had a Big Indian a year ago

#4 12 years ago

Thanks Guys!
It may be cheezy and sentimental.. but it would mean a lot...
That EM smell takes me back to my childhood..

My "Brave" machine is NICE.. it's a CRUEL Machine to play, though! LOL!
Got it off of a collector, who is now like my pinball "Big Brother".
Plays 100% and super nice playfield! backglass... not so much..
ETA: yellow dot coils make this a pretty fast game..

SMDSC06296.jpgSMDSC06296.jpg SMDSC06297.jpgSMDSC06297.jpg SMDSC06333.jpgSMDSC06333.jpg

#5 12 years ago

I just got a Top Score not to long ago and am working on restoring it. I know where another one is if you end up not being able to get yours back. (That's the 2-player version of "300")

Edit: here's a first look at the game I picked up: http://pinballhelp.com/first-look-gottlieb-top-score-300-em-pinball/

#6 12 years ago

Good luck getting your old friend back!

#7 12 years ago

If you can't get it back...there's always this one.

greensboro.craigslist.org link

#8 12 years ago

Good luck, I hope you can convince them of the sentiments the machine holds for you.

#9 12 years ago

Good luck on getting your old pin back!

My 1st pin I bought back in 2004 was a "300" and I've bought over 70 games since - kept around 20. I played that a lot before I sold it. I miss it - fun game.

2 weeks later
#10 12 years ago

GOOD NEWS! I pick 'er up Friday Night!
I'm already assuming it will need a ton of work..

#11 12 years ago

Congrats!

#12 12 years ago

Very cool to bring it full circle! 300 and Big Indian/Brave are fun EMs.

#13 12 years ago

congrats! Be sure to update with pics.

#14 12 years ago

Very cool!

#15 12 years ago

I'm glad it worked out for you.

#16 12 years ago

W()()T!! Congrats!

#17 12 years ago

Fantastic news!

#18 12 years ago

Very nice - best of luck

#19 12 years ago

Great news, post pics of the current condition.

#20 12 years ago

Dude! Awesome! Be sure to share pics of it's condition. Talk about a labor of love.

#21 12 years ago

Good that you got it back. If no one ever bought it from you, then it was always "yours"! Have fun bringing up to speed with your big brave.

#22 12 years ago

It's home! It's home!
Definitely needs work.. but not as bad as I had imagined..
Won't power up.. but I see a blown fuse..

DSC06360.jpgDSC06360.jpg DSC06361.jpgDSC06361.jpg DSC06362.jpgDSC06362.jpg DSC06363.jpgDSC06363.jpg DSC06364.jpgDSC06364.jpg DSC06365.jpgDSC06365.jpg

#23 12 years ago

Congrats. Looks really good. Have fun!

#24 12 years ago

Congrats! I also hope things move forward nicely for you and your dad! It's never to late for family!

#25 12 years ago

Congrats on getting your old friend back to a loving home,I see good times ahead for both of you.

#26 12 years ago

awesome news! glad to hear you got it home where it belongs.

#27 12 years ago

It looks like none of the weathering on the outside made it inside. nice find and it looks good next to Big Brave. Does it have all the balls?

#28 12 years ago

it has nine of the ten balls for the animation.. I "believe" PBR has some available..

#29 12 years ago

congrats!!!

#30 12 years ago

Hey,

Congrats; I bought one last year, and have it torn down at the moment. Then the pesky task of refinishing an entire basement cropped up, but I look forward to it being done (both the game and the basement).

Luke

#31 12 years ago

will look good next to the 'Brave' when up and running

#32 12 years ago

Congrats man and thanks for sharing the story. Very happy for you - you deserve to enjoy it. Now task #2, invite your Dad over to play it with you. You can have your cake and eat it too.

#33 12 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Congrats man and thanks for sharing the story. Very happy for you - you deserve to enjoy it. Now task #2, invite your Dad over to play it with you. You can have your cake and eat it too.

^This is the plan... He ended up "buying" it back for 200 bucks..
(my family sucks)
He is making a big effort, I will too..

already had 'em over to play the brave & we are getting together next weekend.

I'm not super knowledgeable on fixing up old pins..
but old EM's are all pretty much "meat and potatoes" under the hood.

the mold on the playfield "ate' some small holes into the ink/finish. gonna try and "novus" 'em out.. only got one real bad "ding" outside one of the kick-outs..

all and all, looks like a very restorable machine.. (I hope)
gonna depopulate the playfield over the weekend and start cleaning the coils/ contacts.

I'm assuming some polishing compound and a buff pad on my grinder for getting the rust offa the coin door/ legs?

#34 12 years ago

I'm assuming some polishing compound and a buff pad on my grinder for getting the rust offa the coin door/ legs?

If you have $50 laying around buy a gallon of Lightning Rust Remover: http://lightningstrip.us/rust.htm What's nice is you can re-use it and it takes very little. You can get your legs, coin door, strike plate, coin entrance housing, and ball shooter trim to look almost brand new when you're done. Find a Rubbermaid or similar flat tub for you legs (Home Depot, etc.) or cut 3" pvc 3 ft. in length and make a tube by gluing on a cap on one end. This is Phosphoric acid so you have to be careful using it - follow the directions on the label. Wear rubber gloves (or medical), goggles, and a long sleeve shirt, and pour the solution in to cover the legs completely. I leave the leg levelers on and remove them when I'm done after they soak. Let soak for one hour and remove and let the remaining solution drip back into the container so you save as much as you can. I use a scotch brite pad to remove any remaining rust. Hose off with a garden hose and dry. Wax with a couple coats of Mothers mag and aluminum polissh or a similar metal polish. Your coin door can be done with a plastic tub. You want to find one that is as close to the dimensions of your coin door so you can use the smallest amount of LRR. I just fill it up about 1" or so just enough to submerse it. Turn down your water-stream when rinsing the coin door. Be careful not to get your switchstack or cloth wiring wet when you hose off. Dry and wax the same as the legs. I have been using LRR for about 5 years now and it works great as long as you follow the safety precautions. There are other methods for removing rust that others use - this is just my personal preference and it works great!

Dave

#35 12 years ago

than you so much for the info! I'm gonna order a gallon of that stuff!

next question, working on the playfield seems the more I clean it & buff with novus 2, the more fine cracks & swirls fill in with crud... I was considering trying the "Magic Eraser & alcohol" method.. (spot tested a few areas and it works great!) everything I have researched says if you do the magic eraser method you need to re clear coat. Can "clear coating" at home with a brush? or does it need to be completely depopulated, removed and taken some place to be sprayed? or won't it matter with a few good coats of wax?

thanks in advance for any info!

#36 12 years ago

btw...search the groups for coke on legs. I've never done it myself but I recall a post awhile back where coke (yes, the drink) and tin foil used to apply and scrape will clean up legs on a pin without using the more toxic chemicals. Good luck.

#37 12 years ago

Just to clarify, the Lightning Rust Remover isn't 100% Phosphoric acid that's going to burn holes in your skin. This product only contains a percentage of Phosphoric acid. Also, people tend to get this confused with Muratic acid which is a harsher chemical, and no, you don't want to use that on your metal parts. If you get some LRR on you just wash off with water right away and you'll be fine. I think goggles are critical though because you don't want the product to splash in your eyes. If you don't feel comfortable using goggles, gloves and long sleeve shirts, then this product is not for you. If you search the rec.games.pinball archives, you'll see lots of ideas on removing rust.

Dave

#38 12 years ago

Just to clarify, the Lightning Rust Remover isn't 100% Phosphoric acid that's going to burn holes in your skin. This product only contains a percentage of Phosphoric acid. Also, people tend to get this confused with Muratic acid which is a harsher chemical, and no, you don't want to use that on your metal parts. If you get some LRR on you just wash off with water right away and you'll be fine. I think goggles are critical though because you don't want the product to splash in your eyes. If you don't feel comfortable using goggles, gloves and long sleeve shirts, then this product is not for you. If you search the rec.games.pinball archives, you'll see lots of ideas on removing rust.

Dave

#39 12 years ago

next question, working on the playfield seems the more I clean it & buff with novus 2, the more fine cracks & swirls fill in with crud... I was considering trying the "Magic Eraser & alcohol" method.. (spot tested a few areas and it works great!) everything I have researched says if you do the magic eraser method you need to re clear coat. Can "clear coating" at home with a brush? or does it need to be completely depopulated, removed and taken some place to be sprayed? or won't it matter with a few good coats of wax?
thanks in advance for any info!

I use Magic Eraser and alcohol but you have to be careful and not overdo it. You did the right thing testing a spot on the playfield. The trick is to do just enough to get the dirt up and clean the playfield and remove ball swirls - don't overdo it because you could remove paint in the process. I wax my playfield after with 3 coats of 100% Carnuba (Mothers gold). Some like to clear coat when they're done - your preference.

Dave

#40 12 years ago

Oh, forgot to mention - use 91% - 95% alcohol (the higher the better). Also, after you're done with the ME and alcohol, I use Novus 2 before the wax.

Dave

#41 12 years ago

The Coke is a neat idea.. but as Archer's mom would say... "That's how you get ANTS"! LOL!
I bet it would work.. just seems like it would be a sticky mess!

I have worked Haz Mat in the past.. no trouble with chemicals!

Dave, That is exactly the info I was looking for! It sure don't take much rubbing at all with the magic eraser.
the Alcohol did clean it fast and completely, but it also zapped the shine that the Novus 2 left behind. Didn't know if it was taking it down to a level where it would leave the surface unprotected and more prone to wear. the playfield is starting to look like a different machine than the one that came through the door!

#42 12 years ago

OK.. so I did the magic eraser and 91% alcohol. worked well! did a light "Mop up" with Naphtha. (Until the white haze from the magic eraser clean up was gone).
cleaned again with novus 2 and added 2 coats of Wax..

That being said, It "looks" like there are some 'Dull" or cloudy/ uneven areas..
I'm thinking 2 possibilities..
1) I didn't clean well enough after the magic eraser treatment with the Naphtha.. -or-
2) I have never worked on an old depopulated playfield and the "Dull" areas I'm seeing are "Natural" as the all seem to be around the pops, outlanes and borders where the plastics should be..

Think I should strip 'er down and start over or am I being a complete spaz?

DSC06372.jpgDSC06372.jpg DSC06375.jpgDSC06375.jpg

#43 12 years ago

That's normal to see the dull areas. It all depended on how much the game was played on route, and how the playfield was maintained by the op. Also the paint process from the factory could have been sub-standard. Remember, these games were put out on route to earn money, not to be judged as to how perfect they were. I've used ME and alcohol on some games and when I was done the playfield looked brand-new. On several others though, I've had that dull look in some areas that you can't do anything about. Now, if you're unhappy with the game and want that like new look, why don't you remove everything off of the playfield, do your paint touch-up's if you haven't already, and then clear coat it. You want to mask the cut-outs in the playfield -
don't have any tape on top. Some guys buy their own spraying equipment, others take it to the local body shop so they can use automotive clear. Some guys spray varathane, others use a foam brush. I've even heard guys say they used a rattle can. So, it's all up to you. Personally, I haven't cleared any pf's yet - maybe some day.........Dave

1 week later
#44 12 years ago

Well.. things are coming along great! Game is playing about 90-95%

Problems I'm having trouble solving/ fixing..

1.Last ball bonus is always on..
2.Multi player won't work. the player two relay on the bottom box is VERY hard to move (maybe the source of problem 1 as well?) COULD be the step up unit, but I'm thinking not....
3. bulb for "Star" Rollover that lights special & bulb for special getting WAAAAY to much juice and burning out.!

Still need to do a ton of work on the coin door.. well.. ANY external metal.. legs, etc.

& dinner at Dad's tomorrow..

383443_2954783393587_1381519105_321303.jpg383443_2954783393587_1381519105_321303.jpg 468365_2954781193532_1381519105_321303.jpg468365_2954781193532_1381519105_321303.jpg 463860_2954783673594_1381519105_321303.jpg463860_2954783673594_1381519105_321303.jpg DSC06360.jpgDSC06360.jpg

#45 12 years ago

Very cool man, I've read the whole story and been following along and I'm really glad that things are working out, in spite of the shitty family experiences that you've had to endure.

#46 12 years ago

About the multi player issues I would 1st look at the player unit in the back box
on my soccer & super soccer the player units needed much time to go over before it would work right, you need a strong light to watch every switch bank as you operate it by hand with power off.

With the lights burning out try this easy trick - remove the pop bumper lamps and see if the other lights now dim while playing a game ?
Good luck - HDC

#47 12 years ago

glad you got your pin back, and i hope you can continue to resolve your family issues

#48 12 years ago

Looking GOOD!!! ...and a great back story as well. Glad to hear you and your dad are getting along. Congrats~!

#49 12 years ago

Thanks, Sunking! not quite the undertaking as your recent restoration project! (BTW, congrats & she is beautiful!)

got multiplayer working on the 300 today.. it was the 2 player relay in main cabinet..
the 10,000 reel on player 4 will score, but not reset.

match feature ALWAYS displays 20..

8 months later
#50 11 years ago

A happy ending... and I'm still talkin' with my old man..

(all the lights "blinking" has something to do with LED's and the camera's slow motion setting.. they look normal to the human eye)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Nashua, NH
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wish-me-luck-getting-my-old-300-machine-back and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.