(Topic ID: 87364)

Wish Me Luck - Advise on Shopping Out My First Pin SWT

By ThatGuy

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I consider myself an extreme novice fixing anything let alone taking on the challenge of shopping out a pinball machine. I have a HUO Star Wars Trilogy that I've decided to shop out, mainly to replace bulbs to LEDs that I can only get to if I take off the ramps. The ramps are very dirty. I also bought a rubber kit.

So, what advice is needed? I've already taken pictures with my iPhone for reference but am still scared I'll screw up somewhere. I'm a teacher and just started Spring Break so I'll have days to myself to dedicate. Fingers crossed!

#2 10 years ago

Take more pictures!

What I always do, is take it apart, section by section, the put them in bags in backwards order.. so the first bag would be 1, then 2 and so on... when you put it back together, start with the last numbered bag so you know you can put it all back together correctly... otherwise you will put a ramp back in, and then find out you need to put something under it you cannot get to.,

While you tear it down, take MORE PICTURES, so you know where everything goes..

Pick up a few dry tack cloths.. If you wax it, they are great to go over the playfield and pick up the small bits of wax that get left behind.. IF you can, once the LED's are installed and after you wax the playfield, turn off the lights in the room, turn the game on with the LED's, you will see what wax you missed.

Number the connectors under the bottom of the playfield as you take them off! Label both sides of the connectors with the same number, so you do not get any of them on backwards..

Do NOT force anything out.. you will eventually hear a snap... that is always bad.. especially those ramps, I have shopped two of these games.. if you break them, you will not find any replacements!!

Also, while you have it apart, check your switches in switch test mode.. good chance to check hard to reach switches..

Do not remove connectors with the power on..

If I think of more I will add it..

Good luck..

Steve
Balboarules
CARGPB#37

#3 10 years ago

Take your time, be methodical, and don't be forceful, pay close attention to detail and how things come appart and what screw goes where if they are different. If you're unsure...ask pinside, someone will help. Good Luck !

#4 10 years ago

Good advise so far. Don't feel like you need to take it all apart at once. Obviously, ramps come off before you access parts beneath. But you can do it in sections, to some degree. Take off sling plastics, rubber, posts, lamps...clean, re-lamp and reassemble that section. You would have to remove the ramps screws and spacers where they drop to the in-lanes. I sometimes push playfield screws into a piece of cardboard just as they go on the playfield. Then you can leave the correct screws in the correct post with washers, nuts, etc. you don't necessarily need every part off of the playfield at the same time. Lots of pics, take your time and have fun with it. Good luck...John

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 18.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 18.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wish-me-luck-advise-on-shopping-out-my-first-pin-swt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.