(Topic ID: 73161)

Wish List of Bugs In WMS/BLY WPC/WPC95 Code to Fix?

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 268 posts
  • 124 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dudah
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PC300426.JPG
PC300425.JPG
image-466.jpg
crying-boy.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider compy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#247 8 years ago
Quoted from yonkiman:

Sounds like you're not familiar with linux, MythTV, or tens (hundreds?) of thousands of other software projects that people individually or collectively do for free. And how about Visual Pinball - who do you think created that and draws & codes all the playfields?
Motivation is usually:
- It's something they are passionate about so they make it and they want to share
- It's something they need so they make it and they want to share
- If you're a professional programmer, it's great to have some examples like this for your portfolio when looking for work.
- Probably lots of other reasons, I'm not a sociologist/psychiatrist.
To get even closer to exactly what I'm talking about, here's a personal example: I had a PC with an Asus K8N-E motherboard with on-board SATA ports. The SATA chip (Sil3114) (the hardware) supported 2TB drives, but the K8N-E BIOS used older SiI3114 firmware and would only support drives 1TB and smaller. So I read up on BIOS hacking and eventually was able to replace the original SiI3114 firmware in the BIOS with the latest version. It solved my problem and I made that BIOS available on the web for others to use. I still get 1-2 emails a year thanking me for doing it.
So you can bet that if the HS2 source code was made available with a compiler, I would not only fix the HS2 bugs I've brought up on this thread, I would look at adding features, enabling unused animations, improving the graphics (this was one of the earliest DMDs...they didn't have the time or experience to get all they could out of it), etc. And I would share my modified ROM image with anyone who wanted it.
And I guarantee you that someone would do the same for every popular (and probably most of the unpopular) pins out there.
So yes, there's a large, friendly coding community out there that loves doing this kind of thing and sharing.
-Fred

Fred,

You make some great points here. I actually work with several companies in the pinball industry designing everything from lower level OS/game framework code to higher level business applications that help them be successful. I understand Rick wanting to test the waters for "code updates" after the success seen by the DE Star Wars updates and Cactus Canyon. It makes sense to see who is interested because its actually a decent sized undertaking from the engineering side.

First you have to decide how you'll tackle these code updates. Do you do 2.0 versions (like Cactus Canyon), or do you modify the ROM image? Anyone who has actually had to deal with the APPLE system that ran pretty much every WPC title will tell you that, while it was great for working in 6809ASM, its a far cry from modern technology, and there is a bit of a learning curve. However the macros in the framework do make it bearable (Thanks Larry and Ted!).

Then actually getting the build chain running on a modern computer is a bit more extensive. WMS mostly used NT based systems back in the day along with several DOS tools for DMD animations.

The engineering side of it was really quite cool for the time, and it was a lot of fun working with these tools when I had the chance to tinker with them.

Being the geek that I am, I really hope that more people step up to the plate. We've got some really really smart pinhead engineers out there who often times create and contribute back to the community. In fact, much of the internet itself runs on open source software that came from community contributions similar to the ones we've seen in pinball.

I'll be watching these developments closely!

#249 8 years ago
Quoted from yonkiman:

I imagine (to the extent allowed by Rick) people would be working at both extremes. There'd be ROMs that were basically the same as the best original ROM + some fixes, and then there'd be other ROMs that might completely reimagine the game.

Well I'm sure with all the emulators out there we could recreate the hardware environment (and hopefully automate passing data between emulators). I'm not a serious programmer. I think if I had the original source and recreated the original development platform, I might eventually be able to fix a few bugs and/or make a few minor tweaks. Anything beyond that would need a real programmer.

I hope there are some developments to watch!

Indeed, the major wild card has always been duplicating the compilation environment (where you take the assembly and compile it down into a ROM image). WMS thankfully used an off the shelf 6800 compiler. Rick has stated that he'd managed to get one running, so thats a great thing.

If you want to get a good idea for how the original source code looked, take a look at some 6809 assembly code Compared to intel assembly, its a breeze. However, compared to higher level languages, it can read like Swahili. Its the APPLE macros that really gave the language its power, and thankfully the engineers were really really good at documenting the system a while back, so anything is possible

I remember modding the TAFG ROM to remove a some of the Cousin It Hideout awards to make the game play a bit more fair. I had to do it in hex, and it was a pain, but boy was it fun once it worked!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 9.95
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider compy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wish-list-of-bugs-in-wmsbly-wpcwpc95-code-to-fix?tu=compy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.