(Topic ID: 73161)

Wish List of Bugs In WMS/BLY WPC/WPC95 Code to Fix?

By PPS

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 267 posts
  • 124 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by rosh
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

PC300426.JPG
PC300425.JPG
image-466.jpg
crying-boy.jpg

There are 267 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
#251 3 years ago
Quoted from yonkiman:

Sounds like you're not familiar with linux, MythTV, or tens (hundreds?) of thousands of other software projects that people individually or collectively do for free. And how about Visual Pinball - who do you think created that and draws & codes all the playfields?

No. I'm not and I really don't care. I just want to know when and how much.I asked a ? before, how much are we, (the pinheads),willing to pay for a ROM set for one of these games. Not trying to be rude, just going with the consumer angle.

Quoted from yonkiman:

To get even closer to exactly what I'm talking about, here's a personal example: I had a PC with an Asus K8N-E motherboard with on-board SATA ports. The SATA chip (Sil3114) (the hardware) supported 2TB drives, but the K8N-E BIOS used older SiI3114 firmware and would only support drives 1TB and smaller. So I read up on BIOS hacking and eventually was able to replace the original SiI3114 firmware in the BIOS with the latest version. It solved my problem and I made that BIOS available on the web for others to use. I still get 1-2 emails a year

If you post this on www.nerdpassions.com you will def get some dates!!!

Just playing please don't get mad!!!

i see what you're saying its a technical reality.I just hope its a business reality as well.

Fred please forward your resume to Stern ASAP.
Scott

#252 3 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

I remember modding the TAFG ROM to remove a some of the Cousin It Hideout awards to make the game play a bit more fair. I had to do it in hex, and it was a pain, but boy was it fun once it worked!

This is how I did Star Wars, Jurassic Park, and Tales from the Crypt... with a hex editor.

#253 3 years ago

Johnny Mnemonic has bugs. The lamp in front of the drop target shot will be flashing at times when that shot is blocked.

#254 3 years ago

So it's been a year since PPS contributed anything to this thread, after starting it. Just wondering where progress is, or has PPS lost interest?

Quoted from PPS:

Guys ... quick update ... I've captured as much of up to 'here' as I can and put them in a list which adds up to about 100 bugs/enhancements for the various games. Next we will be collating these and then selecting various quick-hit games to make some progress on. Development environment is up, we have all the original code development tools, etc. We are organizing the hardware test environment, and then should be able to get some quick hit things done.
Making Progress ...

#255 3 years ago
Quoted from Shastings:

So it's been a year since PPS contributed anything to this thread, after starting it. Just wondering where progress is, or has PPS lost interest?

Guessing they lost interest. End of the day the real shame is that what it would really take is just licensing the existing source code and documentation. We don't need an sdk. We don't need all of the original tools. Yes, more would make things easier, but dollars to donuts if just the source code was released with comments/documentation and the community would take it from there.

Cannot knock PPS for this though. None of us know what the Williams license allows them to do.

#256 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Guessing they lost interest. End of the day the real shame is that what it would really take is just licensing the existing source code and documentation. We don't need an sdk. We don't need all of the original tools. Yes, more would make things easier, but dollars to donuts if just the source code was released with comments/documentation and the community would take it from there.
Cannot knock PPS for this though. None of us know what the Williams license allows them to do.

i would think that theyd know what theyre getting into to start. if they lost interest, just state so.

3 weeks later
#257 3 years ago

I agree - c'mon PPS, what's the deal with this?

#258 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

I agree - c'mon PPS, what's the deal with this?

Rick just deactivated the PPS Pinside account (too much heckling in one of the MMR threads) so unlikely he'll be reappearing here anytime soon.

#259 3 years ago
Quoted from dhalem:

As a software engineer, I'd suggest using a bug tracker for these. Various tools let people submit issues, vote on priorities, deal with duplicates, and track fixes. Mantis, Google Code, etc are all fine choices.
[snip] The community could fix the bugs...

https://bitbucket.org/tacotown/pinfixes

#260 3 years ago

This will need some promotion and perhaps a small, dedicated working group adding 50-100 bugs and adding some corrective patches before it really takes off.

Have you got any other serious interest yet? Maybe you should start a dedicated thread?

#261 3 years ago

Interesting. You looking for *just* fixes, or other small changes?

#262 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Interesting. You looking for *just* fixes, or other small changes?

Just fixes. Usually bugs are pretty well defined, as you know it when you see it, thus making it fairly simple to test. Enhancements tend to be larger in scope with less clear boundaries, so I'd rather that work be kept separate.

#263 3 years ago
Quoted from mjenison:

Just fixes. Usually bugs are pretty well defined, as you know it when you see it, thus making it fairly simple to test. Enhancements tend to be larger in scope with less clear boundaries, so I'd rather that work be kept separate.

Okay, fair enough!

1 year later
#264 2 years ago

Considering these software fixes are never going to happen, any plans to just open up the source to the community and let people run with it?

#265 2 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Considering these software fixes are never going to happen, any plans to just open up the source to the community and let people run with it?

PPS, what's the follow up from this thread you started? Any updates? Gofers is still broken.

#266 2 years ago

I would venture to guess that PPS is only interested in the games that will be targeted for remake. The bugs reported here for NGG, BOP, Getaway etc. are not going to be addressed because those games are not targeted to be remade.

#267 2 years ago
Quoted from tilt-master:

PPS, what's the follow up from this thread you started? Any updates?

The last post PPS made on this was three years ago . . .

Quoted from PPS:

Guys ... quick update ... I've captured as much of up to 'here' as I can and put them in a list which adds up to about 100 bugs/enhancements for the various games. Next we will be collating these and then selecting various quick-hit games to make some progress on. Development environment is up, we have all the original code development tools, etc. We are organizing the hardware test environment, and then should be able to get some quick hit things done.
Making Progress ...

So either incredibly slow progress or this was dropped. Guessing it was dropped once Rick figured out there was no money in it, like the whole wpc2.0 thing. Seems that improvement will only come if someone is doing a re-make as KozMckPinball said.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
There are 267 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside