(Topic ID: 73161)

Wish List of Bugs In WMS/BLY WPC/WPC95 Code to Fix?

By PPS

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 267 posts
  • 124 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by rosh
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

PC300426.JPG
PC300425.JPG
image-466.jpg
crying-boy.jpg

There are 267 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
#151 5 years ago

JD Update for reset when holding in start button.

#152 5 years ago

Not sure if these have been mentioned:

BSD -- In a multiplayer game, after a player gets a tilt warning during a drain, the NEXT player's skill shot doesn't work (the target fails to register)

TAF -- If plunging to Quick Multiball, Skill Shot value is not awarded.

#153 5 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

I was thinking about that, too. I could've sworn when I was looking for it last time, that the points were awarded, but the animation wasn't shown. I could be wrong, I'll check again tonight.

1 week later
#154 5 years ago

On Doctor Who, if the game is restarted (start button pressed) while there are balls locked in the Time Expander, the balls are not kicked out and the new game recognizes the locked balls. A fairly decent way of cheating if you want to practice multiball play.

#155 5 years ago

Just saw this thread for the first time, I can't believe no one mentioned this. Admittedly, it's Pinball 2000, and it's also not a bug, but it is what came instantly to mind:

Allow video skip when both flipper buttons are depressed. It would completely change the annoying part of the game.

#156 5 years ago

Suggestions for theatre of magic:

- poof target enables 5 sec ball saver
- fix trunk thinking its broken and shutting itself off when a trunk test fixes it.
- ball saver if magnet save fails
- multiball wizard mode would be nice
- integration of home rom features like tiger saw
- perhaps you could sell a poof upgrade kit that includes the champ pub center post.

#157 5 years ago

a bonus count hurry up by pressing both flipper buttons is welcome on all games that don't have this yet

#158 5 years ago

AFM: sometimes bottom lane lights don't change when right (and probably left, but I'm not that coordinated) flipper button is pressed. So to move the unlit lane 3 to the right, I have to press 3 or 4 times (depending on whether or not the bug happens). Latest 1.13 ROM

Can't believe I missed this thread when it started...

#159 5 years ago

Remove all the code that looks for switches (especially the harder shots) that had not been activated in XX amount of games. I find this annoying. Thinking something is wrong with many of my WPC machines after hosting a party. I think even system 11 games have this in it too. Or at least triple the amount of games before it flags those inactive switches.

#160 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Remove all the code that looks for switches (especially the harder shots) that had not been activated in XX amount of games. I find this annoying. Thinking something is wrong with many of my WPC machines after hosting a party. I think even system 11 games have this in it too. Or at least triple the amount of games before it flags those inactive switches.

What games and what switches give you false detections? I understand that it's possible, but I've not seen it much.

#161 5 years ago

This is how credit dots are detected. It is undesirable to have this just removed. There may be a game or two that flags errors too frequently. But there's just no other way for the game to know or inform when a switch might be bad.

#162 5 years ago

Remove all the code that looks for switches (especially the harder shots) that had not been activated in XX amount of games.

Removing it is a bad idea. Having an option to not see the notifications unless you look for them is better. Stern has this option. I operate games and rely on the test reports. Usually they are false alarms, but I'd rather be notified than not.

#163 5 years ago

So many good suggestions.If just some of this stuff happens it will be awesome.
Personally,I'm excited to see how this shakes out.Thanks in advance.Scott

#164 5 years ago

Discovered an obscure bug in Shadow the other day. During Khan multiball, I had two balls in play. One ball drained, and another went into the mode start saucer. At the exact same time, I tilted. Instead of kicking out the ball from the mode start saucer, it just started the next ball. Eventually it kicked it out (I think I started Shadow multiball), but until that point I was unable to start another mode because the saucer was occupied.

#165 5 years ago

Shadow - Fix the Khan display to match lit inserts. If you light K and N inserts for instance, dmd graphic shows first two letters (KH) lit instead.

#166 5 years ago

Earthshaker - Create a way to relight jackpot during multiball. Once the jackpot is collected there isnt much to do but shoot the center ramp for 200K. Maybe a shot combo or something????

#167 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Shadow - Fix the Khan display to match lit inserts. If you light K and N inserts for instance, dmd graphic shows first two letters (KH) lit instead.

That's really not a bug, so much as a practical limitation. The goal is to spell K-H-A-N to light multiball. With lane change, it treats a rollover of an unlit letter as the next letter in Khan, which is why the insert that was rolled over doesn't always correspond to whats on the DMD. If spelling each letter meant the ball had to roll over each of the corresponding lanes, it would be practically impossible to spell Khan.

#168 5 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

The next problem with trying to get some of this to happen is how to fund the projects ... so in the spirit of 'throwing' stuff out there, it would be interesting to get the view of pinside ... doing any of this work costs money. While we are not doing this necessarily to 'make money', we also cannot do too much of it to lose money ... so we need to figure out how to fund the work, which will be done by one or more contractors who get paid as well as some work by PPS directly. I really don't want to have to spend by life dealing with bootleg copies, and posting on torrents, etc so need to figure out how this will work to really give it a go. So would be interested in everyones constructive (if that is possible here) comments on how to make this at least 'neutral' in terms of the costs and the revenue ... open to all ideas!
thanks,lo
rick@planetarypinball.com

Be transparent. Do it by game title. Set a threshold for new code to start per game. Set buy in per game at xx$ once threshold is met code is developed with continuous updates on progress to those that have bought in. If threshold is not met and coding does not start then those that bought in get a full refund. If code halts or goes sideways those that bought in get a free buy in on another game of their choice. Oh and put a feedback mechanism in for those who have bought in. This should allow the more talented "contactors" to rise to the top. Their work might be worth a little more money and they'd get the nod from the community to work on the more important or popular games. Final thought, establish time lines and deadlines. Failure to meet deadlines results in some penalty to the "contractors" and may mean their game/project is ultimately canceled. They don't get full payment and those that have bought in get the consolation noted above. Game could still be recoded but by a different team and investors could use their credits to re-buy in with new and new programming team. If the buy in is reasonable you shouldn't have to worry about bootleg. Think the community would understand for this to be funded and to be sustainable means they need to pay. Sharing roms or buying bootleg roms would kill it. Meaning - address it with education and awareness to the group and also by being transparent in costs and time lines. Community would need to own this as a hole. The same way we shun scammers we'd shun those that have violated ROM rights through bootleg/copying.

#169 5 years ago

Wish List:

BSD: mystery score in tournament mode to be same for all players say 500,000 score.

TOM: ball save for hocus pocus magnets

All roms: Nonghosting patch for LEDs if possible.

#170 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Wish List:
BSD: mystery score in tournament mode to be same for all players say 500,000 score.
TOM: ball save for hocus pocus magnets
All roms: Nonghosting patch for LEDs if possible.

That last one isn't a bug. The games were designed to use incandescent bulbs.

I like the first two quite a bit. The only reason there isn't a ball save for TOM for a failed magnet was the programmer was very lazy, hence the shitty wizard mode.

#171 5 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

chadderack said:

I was thinking about that, too. I could've sworn when I was looking for it last time, that the points were awarded, but the animation wasn't shown. I could be wrong, I'll check again tonight.

Forgot to get back on this....

It does indeed award the points, it just doesn't show the animation.

#172 5 years ago

Rick, I'm guessing you need coder manpower/bodies/brains on this. Please respond to my email. Thanks.

#173 5 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

That last one isn't a bug. The games were designed to use incandescent bulbs.
I like the first two quite a bit. The only reason there isn't a ball save for TOM for a failed magnet was the programmer was very lazy, hence the shitty wizard mode.

How do you know he was lazy? Perhaps he was overloaded and worked overtime to get what he already existed into the code. I find it annoying for someone to assume it was because he was lazy.

#174 5 years ago

The bugs for CFTBL and I would gladly pay a large sum if there is any way to have a 3-ball MB

#175 5 years ago

A different model would be for PPS to set a certain target amount (like kickstarter) for each game. If pledges meet or exceed that amount, the code is released as open source, with a license/disclaimer absolving WMS/PPS of any responsibility for burnt coils, blown fuses, house fires, or World Wars that might start as a result. This model appeals to me because:

- WMS/PPS still gets some good money without having to pay for programmers, deal with schedules, or worry about piracy. This might even be the most profitable route due to the extremely low costs.
- This community is organized enough with enough motivated and talented coders that I think we'd get quality ROMs,
- The improved ROMs could keep coming indefinitely. Start with bug fixes, but move on to brand new modes, better graphics, etc.

There are some details that we'd want to work out (it would be nice to know there's a talented programmer willing to work on your game/games, and we might want a way to "tip" whoever does the work on the code), but I think a lot of pinsiders would pledge a lot of money to fix the bugs in their machines, and even more money if they could have an option of deeper/different rule sets - it would be like getting a new pin.

#176 5 years ago

Also I think this would allow more total games to be bug-fixed/enhanced.

#177 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

How do you know he was lazy? Perhaps he was overloaded and worked overtime to get what he already existed into the code. I find it annoying for someone to assume it was because he was lazy.

Because I worked with the guy for years. He would brag to me about how he'd only work on ToM 4 hours a day and then play Doom for the next 6 every day and was actually proud of this.

#178 5 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Yes, we are working with Josh at IFPA around some 'fixes' that are 'tournament breakers' many of which have been highlighted here ... will be great to get some games in tournaments that are good games but have these bugs which ruin the multi-player tournament scenario ...

but if that it will be nice to have roms that can take coins so they can be used on site / tournaments with coin drop.

I think it's better so that they can also be used on the monthly tournaments that you see on location.

#179 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Quoted from MXV:

Because I worked with the guy for years. He would brag to me about how he'd only work on ToM 4 hours a day and then play Doom for the next 6 every day and was actually proud of this.

BOOOM!

#180 5 years ago
Quoted from kevmad:

Has anyone experienced any bugs with CV? If I remember correctly it can lose track of the number of locked balls and release the balls in the high wire lock unexpectedly.

I think that 2.0 is better with that.

Also any way to it's coin door ball saver to other WPC games?

also maybe an video mode off setting as well.

#181 5 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

What about finding a few select programers who are fans? I'll be you could find 3-5 people who would donate their programming skills, it might not cost you a cent. Then, you can just post the ROMS and take money out of the equation all together.

Like what was done with DE star wars and coming up for Jurassic Park.

3 weeks later
#182 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

There may be a game or two that flags errors too frequently.

This seems to happen on my TOTAN more than any other game I own (perhaps I just need to replace more of my micro switches one-by-one as dots appear more than once)...anyone else experience this more on your TOTAN?

Quoted from S37VEN:

And switch 68 error.

I have to clear that one on my game too with some regularity (Lock 3). (And as mentioned previously: Vanishing Magnet Is Broken.)

EDIT: after working on my game, my conclusion is the Switch 68 error isn't a bug after all. When I put the game in T1 and did a ball test, I noted Switch 68 wasn't triggering. On my game, it ended up being a combination of (1.) an old micro switch and (2.) when the ball rolled over Switch 68 on its way to Switch 67, the rear portion of Switch 68's hooked end would physically contact the front portion of Switch 67's hooked end--thus not allowing Switch 68 to close all the way. (Remember, these two switches are on a common bracket.)

#183 5 years ago

On The Shadow, as you progress through each level of the Battlefield, the number of drop target hits required to open the battlefield increases (1,2,3,4,5, etc). After about level 5 or 6, the number jumps to 188. I'm guessing that's not an intended feature.

#184 5 years ago

There's a bug in NGG where the left ramp pops up and won't go back down, preventing you from TNT and from basically moving forward in the game. I've actually heard of folks hot-wiring a button to the coin door to cut voltage to the hold coil to reset this in-game. Seems like an obvious choice for a fix.

#185 5 years ago
Quoted from bklossner:

On Doctor Who, if the game is restarted (start button pressed) while there are balls locked in the Time Expander, the balls are not kicked out and the new game recognizes the locked balls. A fairly decent way of cheating if you want to practice multiball play.

This is an option. A.2 21 Game Over Unlock.

faz

#186 5 years ago

Bugs:
Getaway definitely needs the free ride bug fixed.
BOP - fix the extra ball never lit and Billionaire Club problem. I know there is a fix for the latter but you might as well make it an official L8.

Wishes:
Fix the LED ghosting issue so you don't have to add the patch.
Balance the JM spinner scoring.
Corvette - It would be nice to randomize the few modes there are so Catch Me doesn't ALWAYS start first.
TAF - Randomizing the Mansion from the get go is a great idea. Add a ball saver with the option to turn it off.

#187 5 years ago

Was thinking about this the other day:

On my FH, more often than not a direct shot to Rudy's Jaw send the ball right down the left outlane (very similar to RS). In RS this triggered a ball save. It would be nice to have this added into FH. I can usually nudge the ball and not have this happen, but non pinball players usually cannot.

#188 5 years ago

Not sure if it's been mentioned or if it's even a bug since I'm new to it, but:

BSD, when you have multiball going and you trigger the Wolves video mode it kills your multiball, by draining them and then starting the video mode. It would be better if there was a way to have Video not trigger while a multiball is active.

Or maybe it's just a question of me being terrible at it and not being able to keep a ball from bouncing down that alley when 3 or 4 or in play.

#189 5 years ago
Quoted from n0s4atu:

Not sure if it's been mentioned or if it's even a bug since I'm new to it, but:
BSD, when you have multiball going and you trigger the Wolves video mode it kills your multiball, by draining them and then starting the video mode. It would be better if there was a way to have Video not trigger while a multiball is active.
Or maybe it's just a question of me being terrible at it and not being able to keep a ball from bouncing down that alley when 3 or 4 or in play.

I've owned BSD for 2 years and this has never happened to me.

#190 5 years ago

I always find it annoying and not fulfilling when an airball scores a jackpot during powerball mania in TZ...

#191 5 years ago

Monster Bash:

Lyman's lament when using the flipper code is not supposed to add to the scoring, yet in multiplayer games it will add to the 2nd player's scoring (but not the first) as if they had earned it legitimately.

#192 5 years ago
Quoted from DarthXaos:

Monster Bash:
Lyman's lament when using the flipper code is not supposed to add to the scoring, yet in multiplayer games it will add to the 2nd player's scoring (but not the first) as if they had earned it legitimately.

The home rom fixes that

http://www.dmspinballs.com/biosmb.html

1 week later
#193 5 years ago

Guys ... quick update ... I've captured as much of up to 'here' as I can and put them in a list which adds up to about 100 bugs/enhancements for the various games. Next we will be collating these and then selecting various quick-hit games to make some progress on. Development environment is up, we have all the original code development tools, etc. We are organizing the hardware test environment, and then should be able to get some quick hit things done.

Making Progress ...

#194 5 years ago
Quoted from DarthXaos:

Not a bug -- this is a great feature! When you're playing with friends, it becomes a contest to see who can get a decent score *while avoiding the scoop* for as long as possible, so that you get the +25 bonus X, and avoid the +0! Super fun to be forced to play a different strategy, especially while getting taunted by Lyman while doing so.

#195 5 years ago

Are scoring imbalances considered in this post or just strictly straight up bugs?

9 months later
#196 4 years ago

Are there any update in the update (pun non intended) of classic WMS/BLY pinballs?

#197 4 years ago
Quoted from Troz:

Bram Stoker's Dracula:
- Tilt warnings during ball drains will skip awarding the player's bonus and move directly onto the next ball/player.

I actually like that quirk in the code.
I can't say it is intentional but it works well for tournaments or league.

#198 4 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Guys ... quick update ... I've captured as much of up to 'here' as I can and put them in a list which adds up to about 100 bugs/enhancements for the various games. Next we will be collating these and then selecting various quick-hit games to make some progress on. Development environment is up, we have all the original code development tools, etc. We are organizing the hardware test environment, and then should be able to get some quick hit things done.
Making Progress ...

Thanks for the update - I was just wondering about this thread just yesterday and what was to become of it.

#199 4 years ago
Quoted from renodakota:

I actually like that quirk in the code.
I can't say it is intentional but it works well for tournaments or league.

It's also contrary to every other game out there. When a single danger can cost you 100m in bonus, it's gotta go!

#200 4 years ago
Quoted from LongJohns:

Thanks for the update - I was just wondering about this thread just yesterday and what was to become of it.

You realize that update is from 9 months ago?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
There are 267 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside